Steam Christmas Holiday Sale Dec 19th-Jan 3rd Skyrim £3.74 Legendary Edition £10.19

• Thread starter chromatic9
  • 80 comments
What games in this sale do you recommend? It has to be cheap and easy on the computer... I don't have a high end thing to play.

What do you like? Rogue Legacy is supposedly pretty good though I've not got it (yet), Surgeon Sim 2013 is hilarious and Machinarium is a nice point and click adventure game, none of which should be too taxing on your machine. Don't buy anything that isn't in a daily deal, flash sale or community choice featured deal because you run the risk of seeing it come up cheaper later in the sale.

What do you like? Rogue Legacy is supposedly pretty good though I've not got it (yet), Surgeon Sim 2013 is hilarious and Machinarium is a nice point and click adventure game, none of which should be too taxing on your machine. Don't buy anything that isn't in a daily deal, flash sale or community choice featured deal because you run the risk of seeing it come up cheaper later in the sale.

I like things to play and entretain me. But shooters and racing games are my favourite and I also like RPG's.
Since I'm a noob on this kind of stuff (this is my first sale) the discounts from yesterday (end of the afternoon today) are kept or they are drawn back as they were before the daily sale? For example, I saw CS GO (that's a bit ambitious for my PC, hopefully upgraded soon) at 5,49€ (50% off) and yesterday/today it was at 2,49€ (75% off). Is this price kept 'til the end of the sale or it will be at 5,49€ 'tli the end?
And thank you for the suggestion I'll check that out 👍

I like things to play and entretain me. But shooters and racing games are my favourite and I also like RPG's.
Since I'm a noob on this kind of stuff (this is my first sale) the discounts from yesterday (end of the afternoon today) are kept or they are drawn back as they were before the daily sale? For example, I saw CS GO (that's a bit ambitious for my PC, hopefully upgraded soon) at 5,49€ (50% off) and yesterday/today it was at 2,49€ (75% off). Is this price kept 'til the end of the sale or it will be at 5,49€ 'tli the end?
And thank you for the suggestion I'll check that out 👍

The daily deals - the 9 discounts at the top of the main page - are up for 48 hours each but after the 48 hours they'll go back up to what they were before the daily deal, so if you want CS:GO you should pick it up before the next set of daily deals. You might get lucky though as CS:GO (or any other game) could come up as a flash sale or community choice, and sometimes the last day of a sale season repeats some deals. But, if you're sure you want it, go for it now as you might not get another chance.

Also CS:GO is quite scalable, my brother runs it on his MacBook Pro with Intel's integrated graphics... Ok, so it runs really badly but if you're upgrading soon you might be able to deal with it.

Well I hope so. My brother's laptop was supposedly unrepairable, but actully is repairable and a cheap one by the matter of fact and tbe spects are pretty good (can't remember them, the thing was pilling dust for 2 years now, but was top of the range back then).
And my current PC is way worse than a MacBook Pro. The thing is from the ice age! It was good 10 years ago, and games like NFS Underground 2 and barely. It was crashing all the time.

Finally talked myself into buying The Witcher. I wanted to buy the 2nd game as well, but decided to hold off until I had at least tried the 1st game. And what a surprise, it refuses to launch. Ohh the glory of PC gaming. Nothing but problems. :banghead:

Anyone has a magical fix? Really want to play the game, as I've heard so many good things about it.

Finally talked myself into buying The Witcher. I wanted to buy the 2nd game as well, but decided to hold off until I had at least tried the 1st game. And what a surprise, it refuses to launch. Ohh the glory of PC gaming. Nothing but problems. :banghead:

Anyone has a magical fix? Really want to play the game, as I've heard so many good things about it.

Tried verifying your game files, running as an admin and the various compatibility modes? Had a poke around the Steam forum? I have The Witcher but its the GOG version so I can't actually offer any more specific help than that.

Tried all of it, and none of it works nor has the Steam forum offered any solution to the problem.

Unfortunately the game is known to have compatibility issues with Windows 7 64 bit but you may try to solve this by running the game in compatibility with older Windows, to do this right click on the game.exe icon and click Properties then select the tab Compatibility and check mark the "Run in compatibility mode" box and try with either Windows 98 or XP SP2, after that run the game as administrator."

be sure to restart steam as admin

edit: Awesomenauts £1.74

Last edited:
Already tried running the game in compatibility mode, with different operating systems selected. It's worth noting that I can start up the Adventure mode without problems. But when I try to start the actual game up, the outline of my steam icon gets green for a little while (as if it as working), and then goes back to being blue. No error messages at all. If I try to start the game directly from the folder, nothing happens at all.

Have you tried turning off anti virus?

People seem to have a better time using the GOG.com version
http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

You can use your Steam version to get the gog no hassle DRM free version for free. I'd take a look at this instead.

edit

F1 2013 Classic Edition (PC- Steam) £10.88 at GMG with code

Use code GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49

Also standard edition £8.15 available with code.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/racing/f1-2013-classic-edition/
Could also appear on steam sale so up to you. myself can't be bothered to use GMG. I get sick of creating accounts.

Last edited:
Already tried running the game in compatibility mode, with different operating systems selected. It's worth noting that I can start up the Adventure mode without problems. But when I try to start the actual game up, the outline of my steam icon gets green for a little while (as if it as working), and then goes back to being blue. No error messages at all. If I try to start the game directly from the folder, nothing happens at all.

Does anything show up in the Event Viewer when you try to start it? Have you got UAC disabled?

2013 classic is tempting at that price.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm trying to download it from GoG now.

I don't know how to access any sort of Event Viewer, and I fear that UAC is beyond my capabilities as well :nervous:.
None the less, I appreciate the help.

Edit: Doesn't appear as if the GoG version is working either. Going to try and patch the game to 1.5, as I read on the internet that this might fix the problem. Sadly, I won't be able to do that until tonight when I get home.

Merry christmas everyone! :cheers:
(Denmark celebrates the 24th)

Last edited:
I haven't played an RPG in years and skyrim would be tempting at the price in the OP, but it's way more expensive on my steam. I seem to have different games on sale here, is that normal?

I haven't played an RPG in years and skyrim would be tempting at the price in the OP, but it's way more expensive on my steam. I seem to have different games on sale here, is that normal?

The daily deals (which are up for 48 hours) change at 6pm GMT every day. Skyrim was a daily deal two days ago so it's not on sale any more, you just missed it.

The daily deals (which are up for 48 hours) change at 6pm GMT every day. Skyrim was a daily deal two days ago so it's not on sale any more, you just missed it.

Ah ok thanks, I got confused when I saw the daily deals in the OP was almost identical to mine except for skyrim.

I give up. Nothing seems to be working. Aparently I'm just not meant to play The Witcher. In fact, I think PC's in general hate me. What other reason could possible result in half the games (literally) I buy for my PC, not working from the get go. What I don't get though, is why this is generally accepted amongst the PC community?

I reckon one of the best deals so far is all three Trackmania^2 games (Stadium, Canyon and Valley) for £8. Last time I saw them discounted, Stadium was £4, Canyon and Valley were £8 each! The deal is only on until 10am on Christmas day, though, so I guess a lot of people will miss it. Shame.

Also, merry Christmas!

I just got the stadium environment for £1.99 used to love this game a few years back on an older version called Trackmania United. I realize it will probably never happen since the game in just out now on early access but I wouldn't mind a sale on starbound. I am hoping the PS4 version will be out soon since PlayStation access had an interview with the developer in November and it had PS4 game play footage.

EDIT: Just tried trackmania with a DS4 and it works OK. Only mapped accelerate and brake to X and square respectively and steering the left analogue. Much easier than using the directional arrows. Online wasn't that good other cars were very jumpy and thats on a 60Mb fiber connection!

Last edited:
Bought every Simbin racing game and the DLC. Eh, they're all right, easy on the computer, physics in Race 07 are acceptable until the rear steps out, then you're screwed. Unfortunately, most of the cars aren't too interesting.

GT Legends was dissappointing on a massive scale; awesome cars, but I can't choose my driving aids and the physics are pretty awful- to the point of being unplayable.

Still, Race Injection bundle and extras for 16 bucks? Not bad, they'll keep me interested for a bit.

I give up. Nothing seems to be working. Aparently I'm just not meant to play The Witcher. In fact, I think PC's in general hate me. What other reason could possible result in half the games (literally) I buy for my PC, not working from the get go. What I don't get though, is why this is generally accepted amongst the PC community?

f-witchercap52bab0390014f109.png

Out of curiosity I booted up Witcher which is unplayed on my 64bit Windows 7 machine. Played with no issue. It did some reconfiguring of data automatically. I also have UAC enabled

If the gog.com version won't play and 50% of games have trouble I think you have some serious problem. I can't recall having any not working issue with released games (over a 100 old and new tested). Only Crysis 2 beta conflicted with Avira AV years ago and wouldn't launch but this was beta which was fixed within the beta I believe. .

Maybe you have a HDD issue or windows installation problem. Do you have another HDD to put Witcher on?

Merry Christmas gtp members :cheers:

I don't know, chromatic9. As I said, PC's hate me. I'm just insanely unlucky with them.

My system is W7 64 Bit as well, but back in the day when I used Vista or W7 32 bit, it would just be different problems. Only time I can remember where I didn't have as many problems was with XP. I don't suspect that it should be any problem with the W7 installation, as I got it installed alongside a major system upgrade by professionals.

My HDD's are about 6 years old, but I don't know if they get worse over time. Don't have anything else, nor do I have the money to spend on stuff like that.

I tried turning off UAC, verifying game cache on Steam, installed two different versions, tried opening in all the different compatability modes and a few other minor tweaks. Nothing worked, and I couldn't find any other solutions online. I tried using the Event Viewer, but it's simply beyond my capabilities. I'm no PC wizard (you don't say :P), and I just can't be bothered getting to know how everything works, just so that I can play the games I buy.

Last edited:
GT Legends was dissappointing on a massive scale; awesome cars, but I can't choose my driving aids and the physics are pretty awful- to the point of being unplayable.

You can turn the aids off, I can't remember how but there is definitely the option for it. Maybe it's under the options menu then realism? I'm not sure, but I do know that Simbin's options menus make no sense. But if you have rFactor you'll want to get the HistorX mod since you need GTL to install it.

You can turn the aids off, I can't remember how but there is definitely the option for it. Maybe it's under the options menu then realism? I'm not sure, but I do know that Simbin's options menus make no sense. But if you have rFactor you'll want to get the HistorX mod since you need GTL to install it.
Yes, you can turn them all off. In, say, Race 07, you can disable TCS, ABS, and Stability Control separately, so I have TCS off, SC off, and ABS on low. However, GTL isn't like other Simbin games in that all of the driving aids are grouped together and can't be separately adjusted. I'd turn ABS off too but I'm playing with a PS3 controller and even using the triggers in back I get no throttle or brake control, so I'd just be locking up all the time.

That still doesn't help that cars drive poorly; they wiggle all over under any braking, counter-steering results in the car snapping back, etc. I'm thinking that using my PS3 controller isn't helping, steering is super-sensitive on any setting, it's like using arrow keys to turn.

Regarding rFactor, I tried the demo today as I've been looking for old sims to run on my lowly laptop, and it drove the exact same as GTL. Everything was just way too sensitive and the car I drovewould whip around at the mere though of applying opposite lock. Maybe it's my controller...

Yes, you can turn them all off. In, say, Race 07, you can disable TCS, ABS, and Stability Control separately, so I have TCS off, SC off, and ABS on low. However, GTL isn't like other Simbin games in that all of the driving aids are grouped together and can't be separately adjusted. I'd turn ABS off too but I'm playing with a PS3 controller and even using the triggers in back I get no throttle or brake control, so I'd just be locking up all the time.

That still doesn't help that cars drive poorly; they wiggle all over under any braking, counter-steering results in the car snapping back, etc. I'm thinking that using my PS3 controller isn't helping, steering is super-sensitive on any setting, it's like using arrow keys to turn.

Regarding rFactor, I tried the demo today as I've been looking for old sims to run on my lowly laptop, and it drove the exact same as GTL. Everything was just way too sensitive and the car I drovewould whip around at the mere though of applying opposite lock. Maybe it's my controller...

Ah, I see. These games pretty much have to be played with a wheel, I hated Race 07 when I was using my 360 controller but it's a completely different game. Maybe you could adjust the linearity of the analogue axes? You just don't get the same subtle adjustability from tiny triggers and a stick with less than an inch total travel as you do with spring-loaded pedals and a 900 degree wheel, unfortunately.

Adjust the steering lock. It's in the car settings menus along with the camber and tyre pressures and the like. With a 900° wheel you have to turn the lock way up from stock to get any sort of reasonable response. It may be that with a controller you need to turn it way down.

If I get a chance I might try it with a controller and see if it's playable. As you say, it may be something with just your controller. I assume you're running through Motion in Joy?

Edit: I just jumped in and had a quick drive in the Alfa. Steering on the left analogue stick, throttle and brake on the triggers. No assists. Controller registered as an Xbox pad through Motion in Joy.

It's twitchy alright, but it's not undriveable. It does take a pretty smooth thumb on the steering though.

If you lower the steering lock it does help massively. I went straight for minimum lock, and it was much more driveable. I'd start with that, and then maybe bump it up a bit if you feel that you're not getting enough turn in through the corners.

Also, if you're having trouble under braking move the brake bias forward a few clicks. Most of the cars are naturally somewhat rearward so that the car will rotate a bit under braking. Which is fine if you can feel it, catch it and modulate you're braking. But realistically, unless you're an alien you'll be faster with a car that doesn't spit you off every time you lock a wheel.

If you're still having trouble, check in the settings that your axes are registering as analogue not digital. I saw that the triggers seem to jump straight from zero to about 20%, but seem linear after that. Steering seemed perfectly linear on mine.

Hope you get it working. It's a good little game with some great, competitive AI.

Last edited:
Ah, I see. These games pretty much have to be played with a wheel, I hated Race 07 when I was using my 360 controller but it's a completely different game. Maybe you could adjust the linearity of the analogue axes? You just don't get the same subtle adjustability from tiny triggers and a stick with less than an inch total travel as you do with spring-loaded pedals and a 900 degree wheel, unfortunately.
I'm looking to get a G27 if I can make space, if I get one I'll try it out then.

Adjust the steering lock. It's in the car settings menus along with the camber and tyre pressures and the like. With a 900° wheel you have to turn the lock way up from stock to get any sort of reasonable response. It may be that with a controller you need to turn it way down.

If I get a chance I might try it with a controller and see if it's playable. As you say, it may be something with just your controller. I assume you're running through Motion in Joy?

Edit: I just jumped in and had a quick drive in the Alfa. Steering on the left analogue stick, throttle and brake on the triggers. No assists. Controller registered as an Xbox pad through Motion in Joy.

It's twitchy alright, but it's not undriveable. It does take a pretty smooth thumb on the steering though.

If you lower the steering lock it does help massively. I went straight for minimum lock, and it was much more driveable. I'd start with that, and then maybe bump it up a bit if you feel that you're not getting enough turn in through the corners.

Also, if you're having trouble under braking move the brake bias forward a few clicks. Most of the cars are naturally somewhat rearward so that the car will rotate a bit under braking. Which is fine if you can feel it, catch it and modulate you're braking. But realistically, unless you're an alien you'll be faster with a car that doesn't spit you off every time you lock a wheel.

If you're still having trouble, check in the settings that your axes are registering as analogue not digital. I saw that the triggers seem to jump straight from zero to about 20%, but seem linear after that. Steering seemed perfectly linear on mine.

Hope you get it working. It's a good little game with some great, competitive AI.
Ah, steering lock, I should have figured. I'll give that a go in a bit and let you know how it goes.
I'm actually not using motioninjoy, it never worked for me. There was a tutorial somewhere around Youtube that I followed. If I'm correctly understanding what I did, I tricked my PC into thinking the PS3 controller is a 360 controller.

Edit: No dice, tried lowering and raising it on multiple levels, but there seemed to be no difference. I guess this one will have to wait until I get a wheel. Thanks for helping though.

Last edited:
Back