Steering settings for Xbox oneXBOne 

• Thread starter symo63
  • 57 comments
I believe I just hit the nail on the head, with controller settings!

Steering deadzone = 18
steering sensitivty = 5
Throttle deadzone = 0
Throttle sensitivity = 30
Brake deadzone = 14
Brake sensitivity = 15
Clutch deadzone = 0
Clutch sensitivity = 45
Speed sensitivity = 75
Control filtering sensitivity = 50
Force feedback = 90

Give it a shot, to me its just about perfect.

Going to try this... but I can't hit the exact settings for some reason?

Also, what do you do for the other settings? I presume Lock Help is off but what about the damping?

Ok guys, anyone still struggling with twitchyness try this:

Speed Sensitivity to 65
Control filtering to 50

Now here's the secret - go to your cars tuning setup and look for the setting "Steering Rack Ratio", set this all the way to the right (slow). This has removed all the twitch for me, it's a game saver!!!

Can you tell me in which tab it is ? I'm trying to find it in french but no luck so far D:

Can you tell me in which tab it is ? I'm trying to find it in french but no luck so far D:

In the garage, it's the second or third option on the left-hand side (a gauche :) ) when you select the car. Not on the XBox at the moment so that's from memory...

Playing on the PS4 with the controller is alright, I at least feel like I have some semblance of control of the car, using the controller on the xbox however, bejeesus! I barely touch the left stick and the back end is stepping out, try to correct and it's snap oversteer. I've been messing around with the settings and haven't found any set up I like, it's twitchy as hell and virtually unplayable, so disappointing.

Just played a random online race with GT3 cars and manual gear changes. Felt so much better. Was able to control gear change and wheel spin alot better in the slow corners starting to feel good now. used octa1979's setting as a base and is feeling great. they do need need to address people bashing though, had guy driving wrong way down track and crash face on on the last lap of endurance race which caused me an engine failure.

Just played a random online race with GT3 cars and manual gear changes. Felt so much better. Was able to control gear change and wheel spin alot better in the slow corners starting to feel good now. used octa1979's setting as a base and is feeling great. they do need need to address people bashing though, had guy driving wrong way down track and crash face on on the last lap of endurance race which caused me an engine failure.
If the race lobby has flags&penalties enabled, he would be DQed if he drove wrong way for 5-10 seconds.

I've tweaked my controller setting. I'll be running with these until whatever patches may or may not come:

Set to mode 3 before any changes

Steering deadzone = 5 (set to 0 if you get the steering lock bug)
steering sensitivty = 0
Throttle deadzone = 0
Throttle sensitivity = 30
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 15
Clutch deadzone = 0 (if you run auto clutch, these settings can be ignored)
Clutch sensitivity = 45
Speed sensitivity = 75
Control filtering sensitivity = 65
Force feedback = 100

Advanced settings = OFF

SET STEERING RATIO ALL THE WAY TO SLOW FOR EACH CAR YOU DRIVE

Enjoy! Any feedback appreciated

Last edited:
Ian Bell has been busy on the official forums today. Not a huge fan of is attitude towards frustrated customers but it's seems we are getting somewhere:

"We've reproduced and fixed the controller input issue internally. We're working on getting the patch out ASAP."

Glad to hear this. I've been forced to turn on the traction control just to make myself somewhat competitive. The twitchy input and ridiculous snap oversteer once you lose the back end even slightly forced me to look at other ways to make the car more stable and traction control seems to have done it.

Hope this is something they can patch, I've yet to complete a lap without spinning out on the straights so far. It's NFS Shift all over again for me. Will try some of the settings on this thread to see what works for me in the meantime.

Hope this is something they can patch, I've yet to complete a lap without spinning out on the straights so far. It's NFS Shift all over again for me. Will try some of the settings on this thread to see what works for me in the meantime.

Set the deadzones to 0 or 5. Sensitivities to somewhere between 5 and 15 except speed sensitivity, which I find best at 65. The controller filtering thing I prefer at 50.

That's a good starting point at least. The standard settings (both 1, 2 and 3) are horrible. And also, compared to GT and Forza, this game took me longer to get used to. But know, after a few days, it feels much better than any other game I've played.

Trying out the AMG 45 on Azure and going into the first gentle curves in the town and it's unplayable, even with the deadzones adjusted to the first suggestion on the previous page. In seventh gear at 55 mph a car should not be jerking with the ferocity this does.

I hope the patch drops soon, as it's turned me off quicker than Shift and Shift 2 did; at least there the cars just felt a bit odd and not undriveable.

I've got the latest update for the controller and it's still twitchy as hell, even with the steering deadzone at 100% and the sensitivity at 0%. I'm reinstalling the game now to see if that does anything.

You do know that setting the deadzone to 100% basically turns your steering into an on/off switch which would have 3 modes full left, straight, full right. You want the deadzone as small as possible and the sensitivity set low. In addition you may want to adjust the rack ratio to the slow end of the scale especially on stuff that has quick steering like the karts

If you have the controller bug that's awaiting a patch, even using the settings and making the rack slower doesn't work. Having used a 4WD car, I dare not try an FR or RR until it's sorted. A big shame, because I want to love it.

You do know that setting the deadzone to 100% basically turns your steering into an on/off switch which would have 3 modes full left, straight, full right. You want the deadzone as small as possible and the sensitivity set low. In addition you may want to adjust the rack ratio to the slow end of the scale especially on stuff that has quick steering like the karts

100% agree regarding the deadzone. I've repeated the same thing in the forums lately more than once.
Setting the sensitivity low isn't necessarily true. A better label for that setting would be linearity. I actually prefer a linear response so I'm using 95 for sensitivity with a little filtering to improve small adjustment control. At low sensitivity it basically produces a curve of response that increases with range. While this makes the stick less touchy with very small movements you also end up with a steep increase in stick response as you get away from center. A very bad thing if you aren't gentle enough and make the mistake of moving the stick just a touch too far during counter steer. Adding filtering further decreases response from small stick movements and results in an even more extreme response curve as you get away from center. On a control (xbone) where only a percentage of the stick movement is currently working as intended such a steep response curve is only going to lead to further twitchy-ness.

A high sensitivity setting basically creates a straight line of response increase from center to limits. With a little filtering and speed sensitivity I find it much more gradual and predictable. The steering rack speed in car setup is also very important and can't be overlooked.

VXR
If you have the controller bug that's awaiting a patch, even using the settings and making the rack slower doesn't work. Having used a 4WD car, I dare not try an FR or RR until it's sorted. A big shame, because I want to love it.

Everyone has the controller bug. With proper settings the game is perfectly playable.

While having such deeply customizable inputs is nice I think it's also turned out to be a little self destructive as it allows people to totally hose their controls when they don't know understand what the settings actually do and then they end up blaming the game.

Last edited:
swg
Setting the sensitivity low isn't necessarily true. A better label for that setting would be linearity. I actually prefer a linear response so I'm using 95 for sensitivity with a little filtering to improve small adjustment control. At low sensitivity it basically produces a curve of response that increases with range. While this makes the stick less touchy with very small movements you also end up with a steep increase in stick response as you get away from center.
Interesting, actually I thought early on that might be the case. I did have my wheel set to 100 there but then I restarted my game and left it set to 50. I think I will move it back to 100.

I would think that setting the steering ratio to the slow end would help a lot when using a controller, especially on something like the shifter kart which is very touchy by default even with a 900 degree wheel.

I have found that with my wheel I am liking a steering ratio of around 10:1 on many cars, or at least on the tracks I have been driving. The defaults settings are a bit to quick on the karts for all but the tightest tracks and some of the road cars the amount of wheel movement required is enough that it can be harder to go through a tight chicane or counter steer when the tail is out.

Interesting, actually I thought early on that might be the case. I did have my wheel set to 100 there but then I restarted my game and left it set to 50. I think I will move it back to 100.

I would think that setting the steering ratio to the slow end would help a lot when using a controller, especially on something like the shifter kart which is very touchy by default even with a 900 degree wheel.

I have found that with my wheel I am liking a steering ratio of around 10:1 on many cars, or at least on the tracks I have been driving. The defaults settings are a bit to quick on the karts for all but the tightest tracks and some of the road cars the amount of wheel movement required is enough that it can be harder to go through a tight chicane or counter steer when the tail is out.

I actually have found that the steering rack setting is probably even more important than most of the controller settings honestly. Doesn't much matter how I set the controls, if I don't adjust steering speed the cars are many magnitudes tougher to control.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad

Some good baseline info when setting up your controls.

Last edited:

Yeah, my bad. I have managed to get something more stable now. The problem is with the AWD cars. No idea why but the affect of this apparent input bug with the controller only using 60% of the travel ( i think it was 60% but could be wrong) seems to be more noticeable on anything AWD, slightest input and the car is dancing to either the left or right. Try and correct it and you get snap oversteer, try and correct that and you're off.

VXR

The twitchy feel and uncontrollable snap oversteer isn't anywhere near as bad in the FR and RR cars. The settings i've found that works best for me is mode 3 with just the braking and acceleration dead zones set at 0. Managed a few top 15's with these. For the AWD cars, nothing works so i've given up on them until the patch is released.

swg
Haven't found that to be the case personally. Audi for example is much more stable than the mustang.

For me the two 4wd cars are horrible on the pad compared to all the other drive types in the road category. They should be more forgiving and easier to drive but they're not. Maybe it's me, but they feel awful at low and high speed.

For me the two 4wd cars are horrible on the pad compared to all the other drive types in the road category. They should be more forgiving and easier to drive but they're not. Maybe it's me, but they feel awful at low and high speed.
Which ones particularly? I'm curious to try them out. I haven't touch 90% of the cars yet. :)

swg
I actually have found that the steering rack setting is probably even more important than most of the controller settings honestly. Doesn't much matter how I set the controls, if I don't adjust steering speed the cars are many magnitudes tougher to control.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad

Some good baseline info when setting up your controls.

Interesting that the upcoming patch notes suggest "XB1 analogue stick range corrected to use full extent", I've got a feeling that will fix the issues for a lot of people (or at least be a significant help.

I guess there's always the possibilty that it could break something or at a minimum force us to revisit our settings. Fingers crossed though that it just helps make things nice and smooth.

swg
Which ones particularly? I'm curious to try them out. I haven't touch 90% of the cars yet. :)

The audi R8 v10 plus and the evo x fq-400.

The evo was the first car i used after buying the game. I thought i'd give something easy to drive ago before trying any other drive types and was amazed at how awful it handled on the controller.

I'm pinning my hopes on the first patch sorting this issue.

I grit my teeth and jerked my way through a whole lap of Azure. It really is a nice track, I can't wait to try it once the glitch is fixed, because the car jerks about like you're sawing at the wheel with the tiniest movements right now.

I saw these settings in a Facebook post last night and tried them... they're the best I've had so far. I know these things are subjective but it might be worth a go for people who still feel unhappy with their pad settings.

It's the first time I'd used "Input Mode 3", I'm still not sure what the actual difference is :)

FB
SET MODE 3 FIRST!!!

Steering Deadzone - 20% (can decrease this if you have a new 'stiff' pad, or increase if more worn)
Steering Sensitivity - 5% (increase if it feels to numb)
Throttle Deadzone - 10%
Throttle Sensitivity - 10%
Braking Deadzone - 10%
Braking Sensitivity - 10%
Clutch Deadzone - 5%
Clutch Sensitivity - 45%
Speed Sensitivity - 75% (changing this affects how much steering ratio you get as the speed increases)
Controller Filtering Sensitivity - 25% (increase this to smooth out the inputs more)
Force Feedback - 0-100 (Pretty much up to the individual)
Mode - 3
Advanced options - On
Soft Steering Dampening - On
Visual Wheel Filtering - On
Opposite Lock Help - Off"

Back