Stock car race comparison/challenge

• Thread starter hispeed
  • 1,409 comments
It's been a long time but I ran an Amuse R1 with N1 tires against one of the strongest lineups. The car was bone stock, may have added a little weight to get the 200. I ran the first full lap on the N1 tires then ducked into the pits and changed to N3 and ran the race on those. I can't remember how many laps between pits after the intital tire change but it was quite a few at least 6 maybe 8 or 9 maybe more. I was pretty far behind after running that first lap with the N1s but by the time the field had pitted I was up front and pulled away after that.

All in all it was a bit challenging especially that first lap on cold N1s but in the end I had almost 1/2 lap lead over the Grand Sport Corvette which was in second place.

It's been a long time but I ran an Amuse R1 with N1 tires against one of the strongest lineups. The car was bone stock, may have added a little weight to get the 200. I ran the first full lap on the N1 tires then ducked into the pits and changed to N3 and ran the race on those. I can't remember how many laps between pits after the intital tire change but it was quite a few at least 6 maybe 8 or 9 maybe more. I was pretty far behind after running that first lap with the N1s but by the time the field had pitted I was up front and pulled away after that.

All in all it was a bit challenging especially that first lap on cold N1s but in the end I had almost 1/2 lap lead over the Grand Sport Corvette which was in second place.

I think this is one of the strongest lineups:

1 Ford FOCUS RS `02
2 Honda NSX Type S `01
3 Opel Speedster Turbo `00
4 Jaguar XKR R-Performance `02
5 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo `00

I did with the Amuse R1 too but this is way too boring

Here the link to my Amuse race:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=87601&page=24#post3815742

raVer

Nurburgring 4H 200 A-Spec
Car: Mazda Kusabi '03 (Settings stock, S2 tires) / FF / 148HP / 900kg / 6.08 kg/HP / 200 A-Spec by raVer
raVer

Very nice job versus a tough lineup, raVer. You found a jewel of an FF, and your lap was brilliant!👍

PS: Have you done much research into the Pan-Euro?

Respectfully,
Dotini

But if you read the first post in this thread, you will notice that to get a submission in the Stock Thread, the car must be Stock.

This means no Weight added allowed, and you must run on the tyres it comes with. You can down number the tyres but you are not allowed to change the grade.

Threrefore:
'N' tyres are not allowed for a submission.
Added weight not allowed for a submission.

Apart from all of that, great job in continuing the 200 A-spec point collections. Maybe you could add this to the Endurance Section.

Pan Euro Championship Race 5 200 A-Spec

Car: BMW M3 '04 / FR / 339HP / 1570kg / 4.63 kg/HP / 200 A-Spec by raVer

LINEUP:

lineupp.png

RESULTS:

result0.png

raVer

Hey everyone great thread here! Its such a very good reference in the quest to 100k.

So far through 3 cups (FF, FR, MR) I've had to use some adjustments here or there so I could pull through but the last race in the MR Challenge I pulled through just fine with no mods at all! Seems like an easy one but I'll take what I can get!

Beginners Hall: MR Challenge Race 5 - El Capitan
Car: Toyota MR2 1600 G-Limited '86 (Used, no oil change) / MR / 142HP / 1070kg / 7.5kg/HP / 200 A-spec (Dark Blue :sly:)

Clubman Cup Race 5 200 A-Spec

Car: Chevrolet SSR '03 / FR / 290HP / 2248kg / 7.75 kg/HP / 200 A-Spec by raVer

chevssr.png

chevssrsell.png

LINEUP:

clubmanlineup.png

RESULT:

clubmanresults.png

RACEVIDEO:

raVer

Last edited:
NR-A Roadster Cup: Race 3 Clubman Stage Route 5 Reverse
Car: Mazda MX-5 Miata '89 (used, oiled) / FR / 118HP / 940kg / 7.9kg/HP / 200 A-spec by Julio35

Hey guys,

couldn't help myself, I bought another PS2 as my old one died some time ago,
so I'm back.

Now can I please be added to the list, I'm trying really hard...

Special Conditions : Umbria Rally : Easy difficulty
Car: BMW 2002 Turbo '73/ FR / 168HP / 1080kg / 6.4kg/HP vs. Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91 / 108 A-spec

Special Conditions : Umbria Rally (reverse) : Easy difficulty
Car: Honda S800 RSC Race Car '68 (new, no oil change, S1 tires, min DF) / FR / 98HP / 660kg / 6.7kg/HP / vs. Renault 5 Turbo '80 157 A-spec

Special Conditions : Umbria Rally : Normal difficulty
Special Conditions : Umbria Rally (reverse) : Normal difficulty
Car: Lotus Elise 111R '04 / MR / 189HP / 860kg / 4.6kg/HP / vs. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI RS T.M.E. 147 A-spec

Special Conditions : Capri Rally : Easy difficulty
Car:BMW 2002 Turbo '73/ FR / 168HP / 1080kg / 6.4kg/HP vs. Toyota Celica GT-Four RC (ST185) '91 / 124 A-spec

Special Conditions : Capri Rally : Normal difficulty
Car: Clio Renault Sport V6 24V '00 (used, oil changed but worn) / MR / 237HP / 1335kg / 5.6kg/HP / vs. Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi spec C (GD, Type-II) '04 / 183 A-spec

THE GTPLANET WORLD RECORD WOOHOO!!
Special Conditions: George V Rally : Easy difficulty
Special Conditions: George V Rally (reverse) : Easy difficulty
Car: Honda S800 RSC Race Car '68 (new, no oil change, R1 tires, min DF) / FR / 98HP / 660kg / 6.7kg/HP / vs. Toyota Celica GT-Four RC (ST185) '91 / 177 A-spec

Special Conditions: Swiss Alps Rally : Easy difficulty
Car: Mitsubishi FTO GR '94 (Used, oil changed) / FF / 167HP / 1150kg / 6.9kg/HP vs. Toyota Celica GT-Four RC (ST185) '91 / 200 A-spec

Special Conditions: Swiss Alps Rally (reverse) : Easy difficulty
Car: Mazda RX-8 '03 (new, no oil change) / FR / 207HP / 1310kg / 6.3kg/HP / vs. Ford Focus RS '02 200 A-spec

Update:

Special Conditions: Swiss Alps Rally : Normal difficulty
Car:Mazda RX-8 '03 / FR / 207HP / 1310kg / 6.3kg/HP / vs. Ford RS200 '84 200 A-spec

Special Conditions: Swiss Alps Rally : Normal difficulty
Car: Ford Mustang GT '05 / FR / 296HP / 1568kg / 5.3kg/HP / vs. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI RS T.M.E. '00 200 A-spec

Special Conditions: Swiss Alps Rally (reverse) : Normal difficulty
Car:Holden Monaro CV8 '04/ FR / 328HP / 1658kg / 5.1kg/HP / vs. Subaru Impreza Rally Car '99 200 A-spec

Special Conditions: Swiss Alps Rally : Hard difficulty
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR '96 (used, oil changed) / 4WD / 273HP / 1350kg / 4.9kg/HP / vs. Subaru Impreza Rally Car '03 200 A-spec

Special Conditions: Yosemite Rally II (reverse) : Easy difficulty
Car: Renault 5 Turbo '80 (Used, no oil) / MR / 144HP / 970kg / 6.7kg/HP / vs. Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91 200 A-spec

Another update:

Special Conditions: Yosemite Rally I : Easy difficulty
Special Conditions: Yosemite Rally I (reverse) : Easy difficulty
Car: Renault 5 Turbo '80 (Used, no oil) / MR / 144HP / 970kg / 6.7kg/HP / vs. Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91 200 A-spec

Special Conditions: Yosemite Rally I : Normal difficulty
Special Conditions: Yosemite Rally I (reverse) : Normal difficulty
Car: Hommel Berlinette R/S Coupe '99 (new, oil changed) / MR / 173HP / 950kg / 5.5kg/HP / vs. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR '96 200 A-spec

Man, those cheating wallriding AI bastards are annoying on reverse, cannot even start to display my frustration at the moment..That ffing Lancer ffed me over everytime I passed him, so I past him right at the line MoV: 0.073 s

Last edited:
I'm back from the dead, although it seems that GT4 (unsurprisingly) is not. I was curious to see what kinds of unusual cars, or ones that are extreme in some parameter, could win the El Capitan 200 Miles race.

Endurance races: El Capitan
Car: Chevrolet Silverado SST Concept '02 (S1 tires, no oil change) / FR / 488 HP / 2268 kg / 4.6 kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

I won in 2:13'10.073 with a fastest lap of 1'54.881 and an MOV of about 1'30 versus (in finishing order) a Viper SRT10, a Cerbera, a Viper GTS, a Corvette ZR-1, and an SL 65. It was a very straightforward race, although with the titanic weight of this truck, you do have to pit every 6-7 laps for new tires.

Car: Honda Integra Type R Touring Car '02 (S1 tires, no oil change, maximum downforce) / FF / 306 HP / 1050 kg / 3.4 kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

This car is probably slower than the other two FFs that have been used to win this race. I won in 2:13'28.119 with a fastest lap of 1'56.765 and an MOV of about 1'25 against (in finishing order) a T350C, a Viper GTS, a Corvette Grand Sport, an M5, and an SL 65. This was also pretty straightforward, and the tire life was surprisingly good for an FF, at 8-9 laps.

The other ways I want to win are in a muscle car - probably the Chevelle - and in something with very little power. For the latter, I'm pretty sure that the Elise Type 72 can win despite having only 122 HP; that's next on my to-do list. I also think that the Elan can win, perhaps with an oil change, although that's significantly more difficult.

The other ways I want to win are in a muscle car - probably the Chevelle - and in something with very little power. For the latter, I'm pretty sure that the Elise Type 72 can win despite having only 122 HP; that's next on my to-do list. I also think that the Elan can win, perhaps with an oil change, although that's significantly more difficult.

Great idea Austin, I tested for the El Cap enduro with the Type 72. I'm a fairly awful driver so didn't run it bone stock, but based on your times that I've seen reckon you'll have great time with the car. I know you're not big on tuning but consider trying the Type 72; the weeks I spent tuning that easily gave the greatest satisfaction of my GT4 experience.

Endurance Hall: Nurburgring 4 Hours

Car: Chrysler Crossfire '04 (no oil, S1 tires) / FR / 215 hp / 1361 kg / 6.33kg/hp / 200 A-Spec points against this lineup:

1. '03 Mazda RX-8 Type S
2. '96 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport (C4)
3. '98 BMW M Coupe
4. '04 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR
5. '04 Subaru Impreza WRX STi sp.C

To get to the above grid, enter/exit the race 5 times from a reset in a red Ford F-150 SVT Lightning. Then hop in a black Crossfire and enter again.

By a pretty huge margin, this is the lowest-powered car to win at El Capitan - it has 53 fewer horsepower than the GSX-R/4 and 74 fewer than the worn-out Crossfire, which are the two current lowest.

Car: Lotus Elise Type 72 '01 (S2/S1 tires, no oil change) / MR / 120 HP / 756 kg / 6.3 kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

It turned out to be a little easier than I expected, partly because you can turn really consistent laps with this car that are nevertheless close to the limit. I did have to switch to the harder rear tires because I was chewing up the S2s, but it doesn't hurt the car's speed much, so long as you keep a singular focus on maintaining momentum. With a low-powered car on a high-speed track, and especially with the unbalanced tire combination, any little slide on exit (which the car loves to do) or too slow a speed at the apex is very costly. But you really can maintain some incredible speeds, especially on warm tires once the fuel starts running low (incidentally, you don't come close to needing to refuel during the race): 72 mph in the first corner, 83 mph in the complex before the tunnel, 50 mph in the hairpin, 64 mph after the bridge, and 68 mph in the double-apex right-hander directly afterwards - and that's the entire list of corners where you can't just keep the throttle floored!

Anyway, I finished the race in 2:12'37.430 with a fastest lap of 1'58.046 (slightly draft-aided) or 1'58.140 (no draft). I won by 1.15 laps against (in finishing order) a Corvette Grand Sport, a T350C, a Viper GTS, a Corvette ZR-1, and a V8 Vantage. Pit stops were every 16-17 laps.

Aside from the Chevelle and Elan, I'm thinking of interesting cars to win with on N1 tires. To my knowledge, nobody has tried to use N1s for this race yet (obviously, it won't be eligible for this thread, but whatever).

Edit:
Car: Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 '70 (S1 tires, no oil change) / FR / 450 HP / 1762 kg / 3.9 kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

I won in 2:14'38.369, with a fastest lap of 1'56.985, by about 35 seconds over (in finishing order) the Cerbera, Callaway, M5, ZR-1, and SL 65. This was definitely harder than I expected, since I seemed to underestimate the degree to which pitting every six laps would hurt. The thing corners like a boat and likes to light up one rear tire at a time, so I was basically unable to put distance between myself and the Cerbera when it was on warm tires - even though I was pitting twice as often! The difference, then, was the AI's incredibly slow driving on cold tires. Still, I gained almost no time overall on each of the Cerbera's twelve-lap pit cycles, and was able to win largely because it started in fifth place and was held up for quite a while.

I've also found that the base Zonda, the Nissan GT-R Concept, the RGT, the Shelby Series 1, the M3 CSL, and any JGTC300 car are good candidates to win on N1 tires. I'll probably tackle at least a couple of those once I've figured out how to wring a victory out of the Elan.

Last edited:
Car: Lotus Elan S1 '62 (S2 tires, oil changed) / FR / 110 HP / 639 kg / 5.8 kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

This takes the title of lowest-powered El Capitan winner from the Elise Type 72. I won in 2:14'06.413 by about 58 seconds over (in finishing order) the Cerbera, M5, Callaway, ZR-1, and SL 65, with a fastest lap of 1'59.575. I pitted every 16-17 laps. It's a lot trickier to figure out how to turn consistent laps in this car than it was in the Elise even though the cornering speeds were even better: the five corners you have to slow down for can be taken at apex speeds of 74, 84, 54, 65, and 71 mph. I think it might be possible to win without the oil change, which would mean a victory with 104 HP, but it would be dicey, partly because it would then become all but impossible to pass any of the AI cars once their tires warm up.

Endurance races: Infineon World Sports endurance
Car: Toyota au Cerumo Supra (JGTC) '01 (R2 tires, no oil change, maximum downforce) / FR / 464 HP / 1100 kg / 2.4 kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

Most of the JGTC cars are capable of winning this race against a slow lineup, mostly because they can reach 50/70 downforce. I just found the au Cerumo Supra particularly fun to drive, and it wasn't going to demolish the field like the Pitwork Z or Woodone Supra would have. I beat a slow lineup of (in finishing order) a V12 LMR, a GT-ONE, an XJR-9, a Viper, and a Corvette by 2.1 laps. I finished 116 laps in about 2:45'55 with a fastest lap of 1'22.275.

Edit:
Endurance races: Tokyo 300km
Car: Toyota Superautobacs Apex MR-S (JGTC) '00 (R1 tires, no oil change, 30/45 downforce) / MR / 301 HP / 1125 kg / 3.7 kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

I was inexplicably about half a second slower per lap in the race than I had expected based on my practice in time trials, so this turned out to be harder than I had expected. I finished in 1:44'20.871 with a fastest lap of 1'41.363 and a margin of 32 seconds over the au Cerumo Supra, Xanavi Hiroto GT-R, Mobil 1 NSX, Castrol Tom's Supra, and Calsonic Skyline GT-R. I had to pit every fifteen laps because my driving shreds tires, which meant that I didn't take the lead for the final time until the AI cars all pitted between laps 50 and 56. The AI cars are hard as 🤬 to pass cleanly here in a car as slow on the straights as the MR-S, so getting a moderately clean run through the field took a frustratingly long time. The car also isn't as enjoyable here as most of the other JGTC300 cars are; I wanted to use the C-West Razo Silvia, which is very enjoyable to drive, but it's just too damned slow.

Last edited:
Endurance races: Laguna Seca 200 miles
Car: Nissan GT-R Concept (TokyoShow) '01 (S1 tires, no oil change) / 4WD / 455 HP / 1560 kg / 3.4 kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

I'm surprised that I'm the first person to do this race with sports tires. It's certainly easier to pass on the straights with the extra power. I very much enjoyed driving this car here, which is surprising since I don't normally enjoy Laguna Seca (except in some race cars). It is a pretty challenging race, and you have to push the car hard, but it is a car that's easy to push. I won in 2:20'16.020 with a fastest lap of 1'30.620 and a margin of about thirty seconds over the Saleen and Shelby, with the Viper GTS, Corvette Z06, and Camaro SS much further behind (this is the first lineup after a La Sarthe II preview). The tire wear was predictably brutal with the 4WD and me behind the wheel, but the car was fast enough to make up for pitting every thirteen laps. An interesting note is that the Saleen mixed in a 23-lap pit cycle somewhere in there, and stopped for the last time on lap 89. :scared: I was right on its bumper at the time, so I would have been in position for a last-lap pass (!) if it had had two such stints.

Endurance races: Nurburgring 4hr
Car: Toyota MR2 Spyder '02 (S2 tires, no oil change) / MR / 142 HP / 980 kg / 6.9 kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

This proved to be a lot easier than I expected. I ended up beating Dotini's trick lineup (CLK55, Focus, S4, Commodore, Fiat) by about 3'10, completing 29 laps in 4:07'06.826 with a fastest lap of 8'20.436 in the process, and pitting every four laps (with one five-lap stint at the start of the race). I was having a hard time getting a read on just how fast a car needed to be to win this race against this lineup, and I was way too conservative; in fact, the large margin I had actually greatly understates the true performance gap. I really wanted to pass the AI cars without any contact, without putting two tires on the grass to make a pass work, and without blocking to make a pass "stick." But in this very underpowered car, I found literally no way to make a permanent pass on the faster AI cars until they made a pit stop. :ouch: So I was stuck behind the Audi until it pitted at the end of lap four, and then behind the Mercedes until I made my second pit stop at the end of lap nine. Altogether, I estimate that I lost between one and one-and-a-half minutes as a result of this dillydallying, a pretty staggering total.

One thing I'm now able to do is estimate the minimum pace necessary to win this race. Since I "should have" beaten the AI by about 4'30, my pace could have been about nine seconds per lap slower, meaning that with a four-lap pit interval on your tires of choice, you need only to run a pace such that your fastest lap is around 8'29. :eek: And since a pit stop at this track costs a little less than 25 seconds, a car that needs to pit every three laps has to run a fastest-lap pace around 8'26-8'27, while one with two-lap stints (like most FFs in my hands) must be capable of 8'23-8'24. Obviously, this is a very low bar, and it suggests that many more cars beyond the ones I listed in the Endurance Events thread are capable. I may try to find something that would beat the WPR record, once I'm done with the Accord (which is harder than I anticipated because the S1s are completely fried before the second lap is even finished :crazy:).

Car: Honda Accord Coupe EX '03 (S1 tires, no oil change) / FF / 240 HP / 1481 kg / 6.2 kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

Holy 🤬, this race was straight-up harrowing. I won by 6.861 seconds :eek: (I know it isn't close to a record, but I've never had a margin nearly this narrow in an endurance race) over the Skyline, Clio, Focus, GTO, and Fiat, which showed up a little while after a Sarthe II preview. I completed 29 laps in 4:06'08.084 with a fastest lap of 8'16.671, although that number is a bit deceptive - I pulverized the S1 tires to such a degree that I had to pit every two laps :yuck:, meaning that every lap was either an inlap or an outlap. Considering that my best inlap was an 8'35.1 with dark orange tires costing me a second or two in the latter portion of the lap, my "equivalent fastest-lap pace" was likely in the neighborhood of 8'13.5.

Especially in the last few laps, the best analogy I can draw is that this race felt like a minefield. I spent the first two laps stuck behind the Skyline as the Clio galloped off into the sunset, before I pitted (at the end of lap two, of course) and got a chance to turn some laps alone. The Clio gets as far as 55 seconds ahead before red tires catch up to it in the second half of lap four and it loses a truckload of time. For a while, the lead seesawed between the Clio and the Skyline as they alternated red-tire inlaps, while I languished varying distances behind the Skyline, exchanged second place with the Clio a couple of times, and occasionally claimed the lead briefly before inevitably pitting yet again. Halfway through the race, I realized that I was stagnating and hadn't gained nearly as much time as I expected, so for six laps I switched driving styles. Previously and subsequently, I was using the lines I now normally do on any track, avoiding touching tall curbs and grass while roaming freely on tarmac and flat curbs. But for those six laps, I allowed myself to hop onto the tall curbs, although I still tried to avoid the grass. This allowed me to go 1.5-2 seconds faster per lap, and by the end of lap 20, when our pit stops lined up again, I had a 12-second lead over the Skyline, which I considered sufficient to win reasonably comfortably.

On lap 22, a spun-out Clio cut across the track in front of me, and with nowhere to go, I rammed into it. This meant that when I came out of the pits at the end of that lap, the Skyline snuck back in front of me and I had to pass it on the track, which wouldn't be a big deal if every second didn't turn out to be crucial in this race. I was biting my nails for a few laps as it again looked as if I hadn't gained anything on the Skyline, and I needed to put some distance between us because its last stint wouldn't include a red-tire lap (which would have been lap 30). But when I extended my lead to more than fifty seconds over it (estimated, since the Clio was actually ahead of it) at the end of lap 26 - after its last red-tire and cold-tire lap, and with me still needing to make two more 25-second pit stops - I breathed a sigh of relief, as my lead finally looked safe. But the GTO managed to get in the way three separate times in the last five laps :mad:, and the Clio was bearing down imposingly on me on lap 27, forcing me to let it go by for the lead, especially after I got sideways in the Karussell. At this point, my gap to the now third-place Skyline looked to be about twenty seconds, a distinctly uncomfortable margin when I still needed to make another pit stop and the Skyline didn't. I only regained the lead for the final time just before T8 on lap 28, with the Clio parked sideways in the grass. I emerged from my final pit stop at the end of that lap less than two seconds ahead of the Skyline :scared:, and although I had to deal with the GTO one more time (and the Fiat, too! :crazy:), I finally knew I would take the win barring any major on-track screwups, and indeed I did.

I expected this race to be a lot less close than it was. I somehow screwed up the calculations big-time, and I remain mystified as to how I could have made the same mental mistake every single time out of the four gazillion times I tried to put my mind at ease by making those estimates. Manifestly not helping matters was that the Skyline was substantially faster than advertised - when I raced against it before, it was nearly a minute slower, completing the race in 4:07'10 rather than 4:06'15. I was also shocked at how competitive the Clio was despite its red-tire shenanigans; it finished within a minute of the lead. I'm certainly glad that I spent six laps driving less cleanly, because I would not have won without the time gained there. Finally, I was kind of disappointed by some ugly driving on my part, as I clipped guardrails about five times, ran wide into the grass on a couple occasions, and worst, made far too much AI contact. The urgency caused by how uncertain the win was caused me to make a fair number of really stupid passing attempts that resulted in door-to-door or bumper-to-bumper impacts, although I did do my best to let the AI back through each time this happened so that I could make a clean pass.

So, the bottom line: don't attempt this race if you have a heart condition. It was cool to be able to do this race for 200 points in a production FF with a worse WPR than even the concept Kusabi, but I don't really like my endurance races to be quite this stressful.

I hope, somebody is still interested in 200 pt races. Anyway, here are some of my videos:

Stock BMW 2002 Turbo '73/ FR / 168HP / 1080kg / 6.4kg/HP
tires SM/SM, oil changed

Beginners Hall FR Challenge race 1 - Seattle 200pts

Beginners Hall FR Challenge race 2 - Tsukuba 200pts

Beginners Hall FR Challenge race 3 - Special stage 5 200pts

Beginners Hall FR Challenge race 4 - Laguna seca 200pts

Beginners Hall FR Challenge race 5 - Driving Park Motorland 200pts

I had no idea you were still around, alhajoth! It's nice to see you poke your head in here. 👍 I haven't moved onto GT5 because I don't have a PS3 :dopey:, although I would definitely appreciate reasonably good driving physics for a change. :dunce: But obviously, it's still possible to make up challenges for yourself in GT4, as I've been doing.

I had no idea you were still around, alhajoth! It's nice to see you poke your head in here. 👍 I haven't moved onto GT5 because I don't have a PS3 :dopey:, although I would definitely appreciate reasonably good driving physics for a change. :dunce: But obviously, it's still possible to make up challenges for yourself in GT4, as I've been doing.

GT5 can't hold a candle to GT4 in my opinion. You feel like every race you do is just to earn money/gain exp, the racing itself takes a back seat to the grinding.
There's no real incentive to make races difficult for yourself.
Better physics and sound though.

The a-spec system from GT4 was certainly flawed (for one, it didn't actually do anything..:sly:), but it added tremendeous replay value.
I'm thinking of starting a new GT4 career and go for 100,000 again, but with a selfimposed rule of not reusing any cars in the same races as when I did it the first time.
Obviously impossible for some manufacturers races.

Seen Smallhorses around lately?

Smallhorses actually has re-surfaced recently, but he hasn't made an appearance in this subforum. He's been doing a couple of the budget-based GT Mode race series instead.

Car: Chevrolet SSR '03 (S2 tires, no oil change) / FR / 290 HP / 2248 kg / 7.8 kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

This demolishes the WPR record, and unless I or someone else can get lucky and win in the 120d, it won't be superseded. I beat Dotini's lineup - CLK, Focus, S4, Holden, Fiat - by about 1'15, completing 28 laps in 4:00'26.475 while pitting every two laps. I only had one lap - the final lap - that was neither an inlap nor an outlap, so my fastest lap was technically an 8'22.0. What I judge to have been my true best lap, however, was a screamer of an inlap at 8'41.4, which I calculate to be equivalent to about an 8'20.5 without the pit stop. My best outlap was an 8'24.4.

I ended up enjoying the car (er, truck - er, that isn't right, either :confused:) a lot more than I expected once I got a "feel" for it. It's as slow as molasses on the straights for three reasons: it weighs as much as a house, it's not remotely aerodynamically efficient, and it has an awful gearbox (I spent the entire race in second and third gear :yuck:, except for three occasions when I shifted to fourth in the slipstream of an opponent). But it corners unrealistically well and has short stopping distances, so it's fast enough to make up for its short stints between tire changes. I was able to utilize my "avoid touching high curbs and grass" lines around the circuit, but I did bend my self-imposed rules by abusing the redline, which I considered justifiable because of the very tall four-speed gearbox.

The lead obviously switches many times between you and the CLK because of the varied pit strategies; I can't actually remember whether or not I had taken the lead when I made my first stop, but I was ahead at the start of lap 6 (after the CLK's first stop) and remained so at the start of lap 11 (after our pit strategies matched up). I think I retook the lead for the final time on lap 15, the CLK's red-tire lap, and from there it was smooth sailing. I managed to keep the race very clean, making no AI contacts that were clearly noticeable and never hitting the guardrail, although I did run wide about three times and almost certainly made a small amount of AI contact on at least one of the many occasions when one of them slewed sideways or drifted close to my line. So, all in all, I'm quite satisfied with this race. 👍

I think I'm now going to try to find the highest-point car in compliance with this thread's rules that can win at least two of the 1000 Miles! races. I'm curious to see how high I can get that number.

European Hall: 1000 miles! race 4 - Sarthe
Car: Isuzu 117 Coupe '68 (used, no oil change, S1 tires) / FR / 107HP / 1050kg / 9.8kg/HP / 136 A-spec points

I got a few more points here than I expected, because I was able to access imtheleprechaun's lineup that I previously thought to be unrepeatable. It's number nine after a La Sarthe I preview and contains the Elan, GSS, Bellett, Ginetta, and Marcos (listed in finishing order). I finished in 3:08'12.164 with a fastest lap of 5'17.734 and a margin of about 2'35 over the Elan. I pitted twice, on laps twelve and twenty-four.

As you can tell, the Isuzu works quite well here, and this lineup is no match for it. I drove by WRS-style rules (you can put only two tires on runoff where a rumble strip borders it, but hard surfaces are otherwise fair game), plus trying not to touch grass. I had quite a clean race, with a fair number of four-tires-in-runoff excursions and one contact with a very stupid Ginetta being the only blemishes. I never hit a wall or put four tires in grass. The car's behavior is unusually sensitive to conditions, so it's kind of a handful with a full fuel load (and especially so with cold tires), but turns into Superman when the fuel burns away and the tires are warm. Its gearing is just tall enough, as the car touches 123 mph with low fuel, which is only 1-2 mph short of the limiter.

Having done this race, it's now clearer to me that a couple of other cars can win for more points. The Honda 1300 Coupe 9 S with old oil can score about 144 against this same lineup, but the more interesting possibility is the BLRA, which looks like it can beat Dotini's magic super-slow grid (Ginetta, Silvia, Sports 800, Skyline 1500Deluxe, Fiat) for about 155 points so long as a liberal interpretation of the track boundaries is used. I'm not sure if I have the patience to do this race yet again, though.

One other thing: I got a major scare today, as the game froze when entering the 1000 Miles! series, and when I reset the console, it just took me to the Browser, as though it didn't recognize the disc! :scared: Resetting a couple more times just did the same thing, but the third time, GT4 wheezed into life, with some disturbing lags as it loaded. It behaved normally once I started going through lineups, though.

Last edited:
European Hall: 1000 miles! race 2 - Opera Paris
Car: Isuzu 117 Coupe '68 (used, no oil change, S1 tires) / FR / 107HP / 1050kg / 9.8kg/HP / 200 A-spec points

Forgive the wall of text...

I'm pretty happy to be the first person to get 200 stock points - or, really, anything even remotely close - in any of the classic car races. Finding an appropriate lineup was an absolute pain in the ass, though, and much more so than could have been reasonably expected. :mad: The lineups that this car was given seemed noticeably biased towards the slow end of the spectrum, so it took eons, and what felt like literally 150 lineups, to find the first one that contained the Jaguar, Chevrolet, and Mercedes, which was what I needed for 200.

Anyway, I beat the lineup I found (Corvette, E-Type, 300 SL, G4, Duetto) by 50 seconds, with a finishing time of 2:50'57.543 and a fastest lap (on the last lap :dopey:) of 1'44.329. I pitted every 13-14 laps, although saving a pit stop by stretching my stints to 16 laps definitely would have been better, since the tires were still in perfect condition on the thirteenth lap and were only just starting to lose a tiny bit of grip on the fourteenth.

This definitely wasn't an easy race. The difficulty started with the lineup, which was arranged in absolutely the worst possible way. The Corvette is the fastest AI car, and it used the pole position to rocket way out in front of everyone else, because there was an impenetrable gaggle led by the second-place-starting Duetto that took a while to sort itself out. With so few places to pass on this course, I had to bide my time and then pass one-by-one as they stopped trying to race two- and three-abreast. I got by the Duetto in the last corner of lap 1, which is perhaps the best passing point since the AI brake on exit there. I overtook the Ginetta when it stuffed itself into the wall just before T1 on lap 2, and got by the Mercedes at the end of the lap. At this point, the Corvette was about fifteen seconds in front, and the Jaguar a few seconds ahead of me on the track. I reeled them in very, very slowly during the remainder of the first stint, getting within a couple of seconds of the Jaguar by the time we both pitted at the end of lap 14. I then spent the entirety of the next stint trapped behind it, because the fact that it pulls away on the long straight as if launched out of a cannon puts it out of range at the two real passing points: the right-hander at the end of that straight, and the last corner before the start-finish line. The Corvette didn't pull away much, remaining about fifteen seconds ahead.

I finally got by the Jaguar on lap 31, squeezing through cleanly at the chicane by way of the AI's slow cold-tire driving, and then yielding on the long straight before outbraking it for good at the corner at the following corner. Progress was very slow in making up ground to the Corvette, though, as I continued to languish about twelve seconds back for most of the stint until it got caught behind the lapped Duetto (as the AI is wont to do here) on lap 47 just after exiting the pits and lost a few seconds. Since it was having trouble getting by on the long straight, I took the opportunity to dive-bomb both cars simultaneously in the braking zone and thereby assume the lead. Since the fuel was burning away and allowing me to turn faster laps, I was able to pull away slowly, although the desynchronized pit schedules meant that I technically swapped the lead a couple more times following my stops on laps 56 and 69 before regaining the lead for good on speed. I was about fifteen seconds ahead when the Corvette made its last stop on lap 90, and I stretched the gap from 40 to 50 seconds in the final few laps as it flailed away on cold tires.

This definitely wasn't the cleanest race I've run. The first ten laps or so were really nice - I don't think I made contact with anything, even while navigating the minefield of AI cars at the start. But something about this car seems to particularly reward getting into a "groove," and if you pause the race or change tires, you can suddenly find yourself bouncing off of walls left and right even if you've been clicking off a string of very fast laps immediately prior. That certainly happened to me, so I made quite a lot of minor wall contacts. I also sometimes made some AI contact when the Ginetta skewed across the track after crashing, or when trying to stay latched onto the back bumper of the E-Type or Corvette. Again, most were pretty minor bumps except for the time when the game spat me out of the pits on lap 69 right in front of the Corvette and I couldn't figure out how to get out of its way, resulting in a large impact from behind. :ouch: The E-Type probably had the biggest hit of the race, though: on lap 59, which turned out to be an inlap for it, it was trying to get in position to make a move on me on the long straight, but ran wide at the kink and slammed into the blunt wall. :dunce:

Obviously, Opera in 1000 Miles! is the best place to get 200 stock points. The Corvette almost literally looks like a fish out of water here, and the other high-point-value cars also struggle with the slow speeds and narrow racing line. I'm pretty sure that I could have gotten away with using the Duetto for 200 points here, which would have turned the race into a cakewalk. I used the Isuzu instead because I was concerned that if I found a lineup with the three magic cars in it, it might have two slugs rounding out the field and only offer 196 points or something. Since the Isuzu is worth fourteen more points, I figured that the risks would be minimized, and although its comparatively slow speed made the race closer, it also made it more satisfying. 👍

European Hall: 1000 miles! race 3 - Cote D'Azur
Car: Mazda 110S (L10A) '67 (no oil change, S1 tires) / FR / 110HP / 940kg / 8.5kg/HP / 175 A-spec points

This was quite a nice haul of points for a stock car in a 1000 Miles! race. I won in 3:28'35.993 with a fastest lap of 2'02.450 and a margin of about 1'50 over the Corvette, E-Type, Fairlady, Sports 800, and Marcos. I pitted every 14-15 laps on the S1s, which is basically the same as the Jaguar but a little more frequent than the Corvette, which makes one fewer stop. I got sick of languishing behind those two and sort of barged through at the hairpin on lap 18 and then blocked on the straight to keep the lead, and from then on it was smooth sailing, as you can see from the MOV. However, my lap times were absolutely all over the place; that fastest lap is pretty deceptive, because a lot of my laps were as many as five seconds slower.

European Hall: 1000 miles! race 1 - Nurburgring
Car: Isuzu 117 Coupe '68 (used, no oil change, S1 tires) / FR / 107HP / 1050kg / 9.8kg/HP / 156 A-spec points

I won this race by about a minute over the Fairlady, Elan, Ginetta, GTA, and Marcos. I finished in 3:55'46.626 with a fastest lap of 9'16.018, pitting on lap five and then every four laps thereafter. It isn't the easiest of races; as always, until the fuel burns away, the car is quite a bit slower (my best lap was 9'21 for a while, and then I did a couple of high 9'18s around lap 12, and then I was able to reach the pace that produced my fastest lap). I didn't take the lead for the last time until lap 14, when the Elan makes its lone pit stop.

I'm pretty pleased to have raised the standards in this series for a stock car from 116/116/116/93 to 156/200/175/136. I'm confident that it's impossible to do better at Nurburgring and Opera Paris; it may be possible to wring a few more points out of Cote d'Azur with a better lineup, and I know La Sarthe can be done in the BLRA against a super-slow lineup for about 20 extra points, but I think those races are pretty close to the best that can be done, too.

Woah, Austin343, you da man! :cool:

I've always been a big fan of the 1000 Miles! series, but could never seem to get a car that could get NEAR 200 A-Spec points. Superb effort sir! :bowdown:

Back