Stop Quitting the race if you're the host

• Thread starter bill1250
  • 477 comments
Thanks for clearing that up DTW_Metro. I didn't know servers could crash from too many players, thats interesting. I did play again with the same GTP player that was hosting those crashed races, and with less players the game played out smoothly, makes sence.

Thanks for clearing that up DTW_Metro. I didn't know servers could crash from too many players, thats interesting. I did play again with the same GTP player that was hosting those crashed races, and with less players the game played out smoothly, makes sence.
That was probably me hosting those races. Here's how it works. In the GT5 in-game manual under, I think, network connections, it tells exactly how much speed ( both upload and download) is required to host a race. They break it down into required speed for 8 player races, and for 16 player races. I can ping a website to get my approximate upload/download speed. This is the speed provided by my CABLE company. My computer or router has nothing to do with it. AND, the speed can vary, depending on the time of day (amount of traffic on the cable).
When I race online, 99% of the time I'm chosen as host. I have NO SAY in the matter. The online race computer pings the entrants and assigns the hosting to the one with the fastest connection. My connection speed (my cable provider's speed) can only handle 8 racers. If there are more than 8, some or usually ALL entrants will be disonnected.
There is a "crawl" note at the bottom of the screen (when waiting for a race connection)that says that PD is tracking the hosts and will make note of who can handle the amount of racers. But so far, in my case, PD hasn't made any changes.
I hope this is something PD will improve soon. As it is, I will not enter into anymore GTP arranged races or tournaments, until PD makes adjustments or we get private rooms. If I enter a race, I am almost automatically made the host. And if there are more than 8 racers, that race will surely get disconnected, ruining the pre-arranged starting time.
It pretty much ruined our GTP tournament last night (NTSC Tounament #2, 5/27). Maybe if I hadn't entered, another host who could handle the load would have been chosen.
The problem for me is that most of the racers don't know these facts, and assume that I am doing the disconnecting on purpose. So I get a bad online reputation.

My online racing creed is...I will never quit a race (on purpose) that I am hosting, for any reason, unless I am the only one left...position marker 1/1.

I never disconnect from any race, even if I'm not the host. ( Even the punt-o-matics)

Can't believe some of the idiots out there. I was in a 750PP Suzuka race with just 2 other players. That means a guaranteed 3rd place and some 40.000 credits or something like that. Yet the host still disconnected. How lame can you possibly get? 👎

One of these nights I had my first "quit-temptation". I was the host in a race at Fuji 600 pp with two other [GB] drivers that had very similar usernames (something like "DDRracing" and "DFRracing"). I was driving my white GTR, they were both using red F430's. This was the second consecutive race we were having, I had won the first.

In the 1st lap of this second race, while in the lead, I made a stupid mistake that sent me off bad. I had no problem with that, just resumed my race. Slowly catching up with them during the second lap, when we arrive at the third lap one of them makes a stupid mistake also and falls behind. So, I'm in second position now, close to the 1st Ferrari.

When we get to the twisty section, the guy leading starts to go around it very, very slowly. At first, I thought it was just that he was trying not to do any mistakes, but it became very clear, in the following corners, that he was trying to hold me until his "friend" could catch up.

Well, I got a gap to pass the 1st guy, just before the last corner leading to the straight, and he immediately rammed me, making my car go wide. Then the other Ferrari went through. I couldn't do nothing, except quit the race and spoil these cheaters's fun. Enraged, I moved my finger to the "start" button.

But I didn't press it. "Let'em have their cheater's win", I know I'm the best driver in this race, and they know it too".

I felt releaved immediatley after the race was over. Almost glad. And surely proud for not quitting.

I was hosting a 2 player race a couple weeks ago. Going into the first corner, he assumed the lead. He was a decent racer, and I spent the entire first lap and the better part of the second following him, pressuring him as best as I could, looking for clean opportunities to pass, all to no avail. It was shaping up to be a great duel.

Then, coming out of spoon on lap 2, he made a small error and had low exit speed. Sensing the opportunity, I drafted him and pulled even well before the T2 split line. He sideswiped me and sent me off the road, so I quit the game.

It felt good.

Yesterday I was in a race where I was not the host and by the end of the second lap I was the only one left?!? How does that happen? I finished it to see what happens and I got no prize money...I'm mainly curious how the race continued when the host quit :confused:

Well, the manual mentions two connection methods: the host-method, where one is host and the others are clients, and a p2p-method, where there is no host. The latter requires more bandwith. I'm not sure how the game decides which method to pick.

Well you just said it all yourself. In a game like that you can just quit and find another game. In GT5P sometimes the only game I can get all night is with a quitter. They effectively make my game useless since I only really play online.

So what was your point? After your long post in the end you have typed a lot and said nothing. Your solution is no solution. Race ends after a lap or so, search again and get the same host with the same result. Is that what I am meant to do all night? Race and quit? At the point where racing is impossible the only fun I can find is to hunt the host. What else is there apart from turning the console off? Tell me that instead of some story about a different game with different conditions.

Registered after reading through this thread.

Nasanu - You've got my full backing.
REMOVED BY MOD

I read the original of that post. nemoh appears to be someone who has trouble with selective reading. Before you reaffirm your insult, please go back and read where I said:

Famine
1. I have never hosted a race.
2. I have never quit any form of online game.

Can't believe some of the idiots out there. I was in a 750PP Suzuka race with just 2 other players. That means a guaranteed 3rd place and some 40.000 credits or something like that. Yet the host still disconnected. How lame can you possibly get? 👎

That's happened to me, too. I always get wary when I see a car lurking on the infield and not moving. I think some guys wait until the race is almost over, then pull the plug.

I talked to DAM624 last night and he had a lot of problem of network disconections..... he wasn't disconecting on purpose but was disconnected from the Net... He felt really sorry about it but can't deal with it... too bad he is still hosting races with this kind of problem 👍
ok that's cool, i knew there would be a logical explanation.

My god.. i just got quit on 4 times in the last 20 min wtf... man these Non GTPers ****ing suck man

The best way of quitting without breaking the rules is by pulling into the pitstop and putting your game on pause by pressing the start button. Then walk away to do the thing you need to do and comeback when the race is over. Then join back into another race.

Why can't people wait. I also have a beef with people who just wants to race with their own friends online to do drifting or race with a particular car and leave one guy out without anyone to race for the next ten laps. If you messup and don't think you can catch up pull into the pits and wait until the other cars come back around so you have someone to race with. I especially hate the ones that give up and start driving the wrong direction, damn! can't stand those people.

If you want private rooms go play other games that do have private rooms or go find a motelroom...LOL but seriuosly wait until the full version comes and we will have private rooms in the mean time try not to ruin other peoples fun just because you want private rooms now in GT5p.

Hmm, i would think everybody can do what they want with THEIR game which they paid for. Also, if im not mistaken, doing own races particular with slower cars is what the GT planet people here doing all the time LOL?
The problem is that the online mode of GT5p is a joke and didn't get fixed after 1 1/2 year...

Hmm, i would think everybody can do what they want with THEIR game which they paid for. Also, if im not mistaken, doing own races particular with slower cars is what the GT planet people here doing all the time LOL?
The problem is that the online mode of GT5p is a joke and didn't get fixed after 1 1/2 year...

So I'm allowed to cheat, punt, block unfairly, cut corners, kick people out of my room through IP blocking and anything else unfair?

Yeah, why not? If thats what you want. :P I wouldn't be so sure about the IP blocking tho ;)
Seriously that wasn't my point, it was rather about entering races with slower cars.

Of course not. 👍 Where did I say that? I was trying to say it's ok when people do it, cuz it's THEIR game.

People don't 'host' the actual race though always, which was my point. They're not host, but they're not doing what the host says. See what I'm getting at? The host has no control other then if they quit it messes things up, whether they mean to or not.

I was refering to what I quoted, might be a little off-topic so sorry for that.
As for the host quitting, well it says the host is responsible for the race or something, but isn't this just ridiculous lazy by PD? So should they ban now everyone who ever quit as a host, wether it was intentional or not? That would be funny!

I had two people quit on me in the first couple of races that I did last night. One of them was an 8+ car field. I hate when people quit, because I won't just re-start right away. I have to wait until the next :00 or :30....

Because you agreed to it when you signed up.

GTP is also a multi-national board and we have members here who are using English as a sencond language. We should make it as easy as possible for those members to understand what is being written.

Ohhh Gaaawd, dont you love forum nazis? I would rather read info related to the topic than your whining over spilled milk... 👎

Ohhh Gaaawd, dont you love forum nazis? I would rather read info related to the topic than your whining over spilled milk... 👎

Don't you love when someone makes a pointless quote from A YEAR AGO to make a pointless unrelated irrelevant post.

Not only that but quoting a moderator doing his job of enforcing the AUP which you also agreed to.

We'd all rather read info on the topic, but some people straight up can't if it's not written in proper english, but thats for another discussion all together.

Back