Stop Quitting the race if you're the host

• Thread starter bill1250
  • 477 comments
*sigh* Won a good clean race, my driving was pretty near perfect for me, (6,26 on Suzy 750) The very second i crossed the line the host quit... pathetic.

I agree that credit fees (dependindig on the diffrent levels ex. Expert 100.000) could help. But what happens when you already got all the cars, and lots of credits?
Well, since at the minute the maximum credits is capped to 2million, if a 500k entry was imposed on a 750 race - which was lost automatically if and only if you quit, it would surely stop people quitting. They could only do it 4 times in a row before they would be bust.

I think the real point of this thread is that we are all coming up with individual ideas of ways to enjoy online experiences further. I'd like to think polyphony would at least consider some of them (if they ever read this thread).#

Until then, all we can really do is hope that more and more people begin to take this into consideration. I know that even up to a couple of weeks ago I wasn't aware that quitting could possibly mean the server for others going down. As of then, I've not quit a race. I understand people getting annoyed at being taken out by "punters", but think of all the other players in the race besides yourself and senor punter (especially that lad who is driving a clean race in first place). It's very rare to be in a 1v1 race, that is the only time I could possibly consider quitting based on a punter's shenanigans.

Dunno about crunchy nut mate. Where I come from those words have a very different meaning attached to them, hehehe!

Haha. I was referring to the Kellogs cereal, though if you're that way inclined I'm sure you could also enjoy some crunchy nuts in another context :scared:

*sigh* Won a good clean race, my driving was pretty near perfect for me, (6,26 on Suzy 750) The very second i crossed the line the host quit... pathetic.

yea I had that happen for the first time the other day. It was me and this other s2k going into the chicane on suzuka on the final lap. I had just passed the s2k on the 130r and earlier he had tried to ram me off the track and failed. So going into the chicane I figure he's going to try and dive bomb me so I brake early and turn as early as I can and I see him fly by right in front of me and nail the wall. Two seconds later "host disconnected".

I mean honestly, come on.

yea I had that happen for the first time the other day. It was me and this other s2k going into the chicane on suzuka on the final lap. I had just passed the s2k on the 130r and earlier he had tried to ram me off the track and failed. So going into the chicane I figure he's going to try and dive bomb me so I brake early and turn as early as I can and I see him fly by right in front of me and nail the wall. Two seconds later "host disconnected".

I mean honestly, come on.
That is just such a s****y trick to pull :grumpy: slightly off-topic, but the were some crazy punters online last night

Such blatent, cynical moves they were pulling :dunce:

From what I can decipher,you can tell if you are the host.When entering a race, the screen will say one of two things, " joining race " or " creating race ".I do believe if you are creating the race, you are the host.Please correct me if I am wrong,thanks

From what I can decipher,you can tell if you are the host.When entering a race, the screen will say one of two things, " joining race " or " creating race ".I do believe if you are creating the race, you are the host.Please correct me if I am wrong,thanks

You are right about that. Another way to see who is host is the nr. 1 person in the screen list before the race takes off, is always the host.

You are right about that. Another way to see who is host is the nr. 1 person in the screen list before the race takes off, is always the host.

Problem is a lot of people probably haven't noticed this. I know I didn't until I joined this forum and somebody told me :dunce:

The following has happened to me once while hosting a onlinerace.

The game disconnected all by itself, giving me the same message
everybody gets when the host disconnects.

Perhaps this has happened to others?

I agree that credit fees (dependindig on the diffrent levels ex. Expert 100.000) could help. But what happens when you already got all the cars, and lots of credits?

Then they would have to be good drivers that could race well enough to beat all of the S-class races to get all of the cars. And from what I've seen online, there ain't no way that's the case.

Credit fees could help; maybe if you have to give up 100,000 Cr in order to enter. At the end of the race, if you finish, you get those credits back. If you quit, you don't. But what if your internet connection fails, or your power goes out, or you accidentally quit, etc.? You lose a lot of money when you weren't trying to be a crappy driver.

Credit fees could work, but there are a lot of variables to be worked out.

I had about 4 races with a guy called "GT5_netDAM624", most of the races included 4 cars, all 4 races i was on pole by the final lap, (can't keep up with us GTP boys :sly:) and he quit the game just before i crossed the line on 3 races:grumpy: lets just hope this guy isn't hosting the games when we start the forum tournaments. i hope all the other gt5net races aren't like this...this is not a good example this guy is setting his forum

Really surprised to hear that Zetec - every time I've come across the GT5_net racers their racing has been exemplary.

Might be worth mentioning it to a GT5_net moderator, I'm sure they'd want to know about it.

thats exactly what i was thinking, when i first seen the menu screen just before the race started, i thought "yes, this should be a good battle, especially as i know he won't quit being a GT5 NET user. he was driving the new shape Subaru Impreza in Red.

edit...the actual racing that we had was good, he is a clean racer he just quitted when he span out/ was knocked off by some random racer.

I had about 4 races with a guy called "GT5_netDAM624", most of the races included 4 cars, all 4 races i was on pole by the final lap, (can't keep up with us GTP boys :sly:) and he quit the game just before i crossed the line on 3 races:grumpy: lets just hope this guy isn't hosting the games when we start the forum tournaments. i hope all the other gt5net races aren't like this...this is not a good example this guy is setting his forumr.

We have to forgive that for French drivers. They only speak their own language, (cause they are so great nation) and probably dont know, how to know who is host.

We have to forgive that for French drivers. They only speak their own language, (cause they are so great nation) and probably dont know, how to know who is host.
:dunce:

Ahahaaa :sly: We are not all alike my friend 👍

Don't worry Zetec, I will have some words with DAM624 he recently ask for wearing our Forum tag and should be aware of the hosting responsibility...

Should not happen with him anymore :sly:

:dunce:

Ahahaaa :sly: We are not all alike my friend 👍

Don't worry Zetec, I will have some words with DAM624 he recently ask for wearing our Forum tag and should be aware of the hosting responsibility...

Should not happen with him anymore :sly:
ok thanks :) just trying to make it a more enjoyable place for everyone. i'm happy all the people are playing gta4 now, nearly every race i go into now it has gtp, gt5, gtc members in

Two things might help: Instead of being cryptic, maybe the host should be identified with a "HOST" tag on the starting lineup.

And maybe they could make it so the host CAN'T quit a race without shutting down his system. At least make quitting inconvenient for a host.

Two things might help: Instead of being cryptic, maybe the host should be identified with a "HOST" tag on the starting lineup.

And maybe they could make it so the host CAN'T quit a race without shutting down his system. At least make quitting inconvenient for a host.

When I first time realize that problem couple months ago, I was thinking same. It's a very, very big shame to POLYPHONY DIGITAL, that they have not fix that immediately! It cant be so hard, WAKE UP you nerds. I love you, but this ain't good for our relationship.

I wander if GT5:P will get dedicated servers? That should fix the "host" quiting and ruining the races for everyone else.

Just had a 100% disconnection series again on 750 Suzuka .
Cause was everytime the host was a bad driver not being able to accept his driving is rubbish and the sandtraps where he belongs.👎 most of these hosts were french, somewhat strange! :(
Connection was often very bad too :dunce:
Seriously if POLY doesn't come up with dedicated servers anytime soon... :nervous:

The thread's title should be Stop relying on sore losers and bad drivers bandwith and provide some real online play instead, dear PD.

There will always be people disconnecting when they come aware they cannot win, which is somehow understandable but not really acceptable, is it? *sigh*

Somebody else suggested it and I agree, if you host you should be required to put up like 200k and every time you quit, you lose that much.

I just had one of the better rounds, some viper and s2k were just far enough behind me to where they could catch me with my draft, but not so fast as they could beat me into the turns. Then lap 3, half way through, still in first with the s2k breathing down my neck....disconnected. Eleven players lost their money all because some douchebag hit the sand pits and couldn't wait an extra minute.

I a long time looker but first time poster and have a question. Why do people join a race and then quit it? I am usually the host and the race will just start and everyone will start to quit. The usually only happens on Daytona and I got a message from some one telling me to stop quitting. But I stay in the race until the last person leaves. Anyone know why some people will wait through the long load times and then join the race again?
I was just "in" 3 races with you hosting and got disconnected. The first race had 4 or 5 people in it and I had just taken the lead from someone, not you, going into casio on the first lap when I got disconnected. I immediately tried to rejoin a race and this time there were about 12 people in it. I got disconnected at the starting grid. Tried to go in again, this time 15 racers, and got disconnected at the starting grid. This time I sat there for a second or two with the "You have been Disconnected" window up and figured out I was still able to drive. I couldn't see squat, but I could drive. When I pressed "OK" to clear the window and leave the race I did see your car way in the distance going into turn 1 like you were actually racing.

If you're really not doing it on purpose there is something wrong with your router/internet/PS3/something. I think you need to troubleshoot your connection, mostly the up part probably, or figure out how to stop hosting races.

Edit: OK, just got a PM from sek82089. Poor guy had to quit racing for fear of hosting more races that would get disconnected. Does anyone here know how to keep from being a host? It seems that host selection is based mainly on a person's upload speed. Is there a router setting that can be adjusted to limit that?

I was just "in" 3 races with you hosting and got disconnected. The first race had 4 or 5 people in it and I had just taken the lead from someone, not you, going into casio on the first lap when I got disconnected. I immediately tried to rejoin a race and this time there were about 12 people in it. I got disconnected at the starting grid. Tried to go in again, this time 15 racers, and got disconnected at the starting grid. This time I sat there for a second or two with the "You have been Disconnected" window up and figured out I was still able to drive. I couldn't see squat, but I could drive. When I pressed "OK" to clear the window and leave the race I did see your car way in the distance going into turn 1 like you were actually racing.

If you're really not doing it on purpose there is something wrong with your router/internet/PS3/something. I think you need to troubleshoot your connection, mostly the up part probably, or figure out how to stop hosting races.

You took the lead from me. :ouch: I still overshoot that hairpin sometimes on S2s... I wasn't the guy that quit though!

I also sat through waiting for 3 races only to get 3 disconnections just after the start. I don't know if anyone was quitting (why quit 1 second after the start?) or if it was a server thing.

Edited: question answered

I was in the server with chris0^, and I continued to be frustrated as to why everytime the race would start, the host would immediately leave? The disturbing part of it all was the host (pos#1 at load screen) was a GTP member:crazy: I did not understand that at all. GTP as host should mean that the race is secure, no need to worry about being kicked out... but that wasn't the case and I am disapointed

I was in the server with chris0^, and I continued to be frustrated as to why everytime the race would start, the host would immediately leave? The disturbing part of it all was the host (pos#1 at load screen) was a GTP member:crazy: I did not understand that at all. GTP as host should mean that the race is secure, no need to worry about being kicked out... but that wasn't the case and I am disapointed

Ahh, I saw you in 600PP Suzuka. The GTP host didn't quit; his connection couldn't handle a full grid of racers. It happened with a bunch of other hosts too. Suzuka was really bad tonight as it was totally flooded with racers. Don't worry about that GTP host; he's not a bad host, he just had a bad connection ;).

Yeah, the guy who hosted 2 of my disconnects actually just quit racing for the night because of the problem. Every race he hosted the other racers would get disconnected. It's a shame you can't turn off hosting in situations like that.

Edit: Sorry for that last race that I hosted and disconnected. I was playing with my router settings to limit my upload speed to see if I could go low enough to never host. My router only lets me go as low as 64kbps up. That seems to be the sweet spot for being able to host a race and get everyone into the lineup but disconnect at the start.

I was the one hosting these races. I cant host a full grid. Only about 10 max. Any more and everyone seems to disconnect. I just had the same problem a couple of minutes ago so sorry if you were racing Suzuka 600pp. This sucks. I don't want to be the host.

I had about 4 races with a guy called "GT5_netDAM624", most of the races included 4 cars, all 4 races i was on pole by the final lap, (can't keep up with us GTP boys :sly:) and he quit the game just before i crossed the line on 3 races:grumpy: lets just hope this guy isn't hosting the games when we start the forum tournaments. i hope all the other gt5net races aren't like this...this is not a good example this guy is setting his forum

thats exactly what i was thinking, when i first seen the menu screen just before the race started, i thought "yes, this should be a good battle, especially as i know he won't quit being a GT5 NET user. he was driving the new shape Subaru Impreza in Red.

edit...the actual racing that we had was good, he is a clean racer he just quitted when he span out/ was knocked off by some random racer.

I talked to DAM624 last night and he had a lot of problem of network disconections..... he wasn't disconecting on purpose but was disconnected from the Net... He felt really sorry about it but can't deal with it... too bad he is still hosting races with this kind of problem 👍

I know my internet crashes out a lot and I would hate to be the host of the race. Luckily I rarely seem to be, possibly because I'm on a wireless connection.

I wouldn't worry about being made the host and the server dropping, it's PDs fault, not yours.

Luckily I rarely seem to be, possibly because I'm on a wireless connection.

I wouldn't worry about being made the host and the server dropping, it's PDs fault, not yours.

Nopez, my PS3 is connected to my firewall by wireless, but still i end up hosting quite some games with differing success.

I find it really annoying too because of the fact it's not fixable currently ;(

Sure it's not our fault it happens, but it's still very irritating to end up hosting games with racers dropping out, knowing you now missed the timeslot with other GTP racers, ending up in somekind of racecar variation of american wrestling. aaarg.

Last night was the worst ever for disconnects. Out of 10 (potential) races at Suzuka 600PP I was disconnected 7 times before the end of the race. I gave up & switched to Fuji & was immediately disconnected. So I went to bed... :grumpy:

Back