Strange idea: simple menus

  • Thread starter Thread starter suXin
  • 44 comments
  • 3,034 views
Messages
74
Messages
suXin
I hate GT Auto, it's loading time is 10sec+ , when I remember GT1 with instant menus, I wanna cry.

If we had an option to use simple menus which are just pictures with buttons like old GT, will you turn it on?
 
No, I have 0 understanding why people complain about the menu at all, changing it will not reduce load times at all....welcome to media that holds 50gb of info, it takes time to recover said info, and the size of anything in GT life is nothing...pictures words and for lack of a better term "links" there is nothing there to load at all.
 
Isn't your case is truth only if you don't decided to install GT5 data on a HD?
 
Even still that has nothing to do with the menu layout causing the long load times, its Bluray nothing more.
 
Go play Fallout New Vegas. It will change your perspective on GT5 load times. :)
 
everyone blaming blueray.. a simple menu system that could be installed to disk wouldn't exactly be difficult, keeping it smaller and hopefully in relatively small section of disk would mean less seek time and less loading time.

i'd use it no worries.
 
Lol at the everyone blaming bluray comment, go find a copy of motorstorm 1 and don't update it. it would take ages for the game to render 1 car because of bluray, as awesome as the size of it is, it has that massive flaw. GTs load times are fantastic next to it with or without an install. As I stated the game needs to at most render 1 car at a time and some people, so unless you want your menus to look like a speadsheet, its not goign to make any noticeable difference, put down $40 on a bigger drive if it bothers you that much and do a full install. Besides you get the added benefit of well..a bigger drive.
 
The menus are still somewhat slow after doing a full install. I'd expect them to be instantaneous. Further, the menus are simple enough that they should be able to hold the bulk of them in RAM.
 
Actually I wouldn't mind if my menus looked like a spreadsheet.
 
Maybe I am confused but how can the menus be any more simple than they are? If I click on the A-spec pic it takes me to A-spec. I click on UCD and it takes me straight there. People have been saying it is a bad menu system but what is bad about it? It is simple yet attractive.

I understand you want it to load faster, but how would changing the layout or pics do that? The loading time is due to the info being loaded. I'm sure it could be optimized better but complain about that, not how the simplest menu system I have seen should be simpler.
 
Maybe I am confused but how can the menus be any more simple than they are? If I click on the A-spec pic it takes me to A-spec. I click on UCD and it takes me straight there. People have been saying it is a bad menu system but what is bad about it? It is simple yet attractive.

I understand you want it to load faster, but how would changing the layout or pics do that? The loading time is due to the info being loaded. I'm sure it could be optimized better but complain about that, not how the simplest menu system I have seen should be simpler.

It should have a free moving pointer instead of one that scrolls through the pics and symbols, not a massive amount of time saved but definitely more user friendly. Also along with my first suggestion, a row of useful shortcuts displayed along the bottom of the screen permanently in every menu i.e you can get from your garage to GT Auto or Tuning Shop in one click, again, more user friendly. The GT Auto loading time would become a lot more bearable this way.
 
Even still that has nothing to do with the menu layout causing the long load times, its Bluray nothing more.

If the game is installed it has nothing to do with bluray. Just watch the HDD indicator start flashing as soon as you click on GT Auto, meaning it's loading from the HDD.
 
Even then its bluray or the HDD speed, the point is, making the menu more simple will do nothing to improve the speed, he discribes GT Auto being a problem, the only reason its a problem is because the car needs to be rendered, and as I said it NEEDS to be rendered for that part since most of the section involves visual adjustments.

And I can almost promise you that the car is the thing being loaded from the disk in that area, it makes no sense to put the car data on the HDD and the menus on the disk to be loaded.
 
It should have a free moving pointer instead of one that scrolls through the pics and symbols, not a massive amount of time saved but definitely more user friendly. Also along with my first suggestion, a row of useful shortcuts displayed along the bottom of the screen permanently in every menu i.e you can get from your garage to GT Auto or Tuning Shop in one click, again, more user friendly. The GT Auto loading time would become a lot more bearable this way.

Yeah, I understand what you mean there. They could make it easier to navigate to different areas when in A-spec or other menus. I wish the seasonals would take me straight to the dealership if I don't have the required cars. I guess I made it through Modnation Racers pre loading patch so nothing bothers me now.
 
Yeah, I understand what you mean there. They could make it easier to navigate to different areas when in A-spec or other menus. I wish the seasonals would take me straight to the dealership if I don't have the required cars. I guess I made it through Modnation Racers pre loading patch so nothing bothers me now.

The thing with GT5 is that it's got a GT Life menu with a lot going on, it's not a five option FPS menu where scrolling through options is reasonable, it's just plain irritating, but even more irritating is the fact you have to come back out a certain menu to scroll through the main menu to get to where you want to be. How easy would it be to for PD to make a patch to free up the pointer and put a row of useful shortcuts on every menu? It's hardly a massive alteration.
 
A free moving pointer sounds easier to use with a dualshock but clunkier when using the d-pad on a wheel. I do get annoyed when it doesn't go where I want it to though.

See, I didn't mind the menus and now you guys are making me dislike it.
 
A free moving pointer sounds easier to use with a dualshock but clunkier when using the d-pad on a wheel. I do get annoyed when it doesn't go where I want it to though.

See, I didn't mind the menus and now you guys are making me dislike it.

Well they could by all means make it optional, people who find it awkward with a wheel could keep the old system with the new shortcuts included.

That's because when you think of how simple it would be to make it more user friendly it's hard not to dislike the current setup.
 
Guess what? You just wasted more time posting/reading this thread than time saved if GT5 had a more "user-friendly" Menu. Put that into perspective, and stop complaining, please?:dopey:
 
I didn't read every comment, so hopefully I am not repeating someone.

What this game DOES need is button to jump to the Garage, GT Auto and the Tuning Shop from EVERY screen. It is ridiculous that you have to navigate all the way back to the damn GT Life screen before you can access the other important parts of the game.

I understand that there is a "jump to home" button on most screens, and that is helpful but the others need to be included as well.
 
Guess what? You just wasted more time posting/reading this thread than time saved if GT5 had a more "user-friendly" Menu. Put that into perspective, and stop complaining, please?:dopey:

If you don't like complains and opinions, don't come on forums or don't read the thread or just stop complaining about complaining. Problem solved.
 
If you don't like complains and opinions, don't come on forums or don't read the thread or just stop complaining about complaining. Problem solved.

Your complaining about my complaining about his complaining helps even less.
I was just giving a valid point, that should make you realize how silly this is. Now dont go all "Im a big man and I feel like making an off-topic post to degrade a fellow user of his opinion" , please?
 
Your complaining about my complaining about his complaining helps even less.
I was just giving a valid point, that should make you realize how silly this is. Now dont go all "Im a big man and I feel like making an off-topic post to degrade a fellow user of his opinion" , please?

Well it's not really silly when firstly, it's about an aspect of GT5 and secondly, it seems to be an issue with quite a few people considering this isn't the first time it's cropped up.
 
Well it's not really silly when firstly, it's about an aspect of GT5 and secondly, it seems to be an issue with quite a few people considering this isn't the first time it's cropped up.

I see your point. I guess im just saying "Why complain the menus are wasting your time when complaining wastes even more time?"
But this is also most never likely to happen. I have seen games menus change colour schemes for DLC packs but I have never seen a game redesign the entire menu system. I do see your point though, if its been a repeat complaint.
 
I've no problems with menu loading times, it gives me just enough time to sip my tea before going into the next menu.:)
 
I see your point. I guess im just saying "Why complain the menus are wasting your time when complaining wastes even more time?"
But this is also most never likely to happen. I have seen games menus change colour schemes for DLC packs but I have never seen a game redesign the entire menu system. I do see your point though, if its been a repeat complaint.

How many ideas for GT5 brought up in forums are likely to happen? Not a lot, but it's the norm for any forum about any game for fans to discuss things that would improve the game. A menu might not seem a big deal to some but I've read loads of game reviews where the menu system is critisized because it does become irritating (UFC Undisputed 2010 is one example off the top of my head which came in for critisism for having a menu system where it takes more time than it should to navigate).
 
May I suggest a shortcut for *change oil* on the menu that pops up with triangle on the car list?
Also, a shortcut for buying any tyre types available for a specific race on the event selection screen maybe.
These alone could save the majority of time hopping around menus, for me at least.
 
Be nice when receiving a car that it went into your garage.
 
I hate GT Auto, it's loading time is 10sec+ , when I remember GT1 with instant menus, I wanna cry.

If we had an option to use simple menus which are just pictures with buttons like old GT, will you turn it on?

Yes and 1000 times yes, I am sick and tired of waiting for everything on the menus, not just GTAuto, UCD, tuning shop, it is tedious to buy 3-4 cars, buy car, cinematic, do you want to use this car, load to main menu.

Sometime I think that during the last 2 hours I am not even played at all.
 
The loadtimes for those static menus are inexcusable. It's probably also pre-loading other things that have nothing to do with the menus, because just a static image with some tiles and icons should take milliseconds rather than seconds. Even from a Bluray.
 
Back