Strange noise heard around the world

For a while I'd hear an eerie noise in the top floor bathroom. It'd have that unusual sound that oscillates in the low-range frequency. The amplification was high enough to to feel the vibration in my chest. Eventually the sound dies down, but at this point the sound being produced is now clearly the sound of an airplane. I'm guessing that when it's at a certain distance from the chimney, the collision of sound bouncing down the shaft and into the bathroom produced that oscillating effect.

For what it's worth, it was fun believing it was a UFO passing by.

For a while I'd hear an eerie noise in the top floor bathroom. It'd have that unusual sound that oscillates in the low-range frequency. The amplification was high enough to to feel the vibration in my chest. Eventually the sound dies down, but at this point the sound being produced is now clearly the sound of an airplane. I'm guessing that when it's at a certain distance from the chimney, the collision of sound bouncing down the shaft and into the bathroom produced that oscillating effect.

For what it's worth, it was fun believing it was a UFO passing by.
Are you sure your gf/wife didn't leave a personal massage device switched on by accident in a towel drawer?:sly:

I wanna hear weird sounds.
If you sincerely want to see and hear weirdnesses, go outside at night, quietly look and listen. You'll do better if you haven't been drinking. Pretty soon, having seen the darting light or heard the trumpet of doom, you'll run back inside for that hot toddy, vowing never to be so stupid again, never to take your mind off the iPhone. :dopey:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...se-heard-globe-nearly-DECADE-explanation.html
A collection of the "Trumpets of Doom" sounds heard around the world.

Possible theories include:

Tectonic plates grinding - Tectonic plates are pieces of the Earth's crust and uppermost mantle, together referred to as the lithosphere. The plates are around 100 km (62 mi) thick and consist of two principal types of material: oceanic crust (also called sima from silicon and magnesium) and continental crust (sial from silicon and aluminium).

Atmospheric pressure - Atmospheric pressure is defined as the force per unit area exerted against a surface by the weight of the air above that surface.

Trains shunting - Self explanatory - noise comes from trains in reaction to the track and overhead wires.

Construction - Building works, especially if going on at the same time across a specific area, can led to similar sounds.

Aliens - Can this be an alien lifeform in the sky, perhaps scouring out Earth?

HAARP weapon - Rumours persist that the U.S. government uses secret weapons in the sky for defence and weather modifying, the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP). This wouldn't explain the sounds in other countries however...

The Apocalypse and the Seven Trumpets of Heaven - Seven trumpets are sounded, one at a time, to cue apocalyptic events that were seen in the vision of the Revelation of Christ Jesus, by John of Patmos. Somewhat more worrying as it would signal the end of the world...

A collection of the "Trumpets of Doom" sounds heard around the world....

I'm surprised that the Mail didn't claim that the sounds are caused by countries being overloaded with immigrants or by a collapse in middle-class house prices.

Interesting though... my own belief is that these are geophysical (as the marvellous Ms. Wookie seems to agree). That leads my meandering morning-mind to wonder if the legend of the sound-of-trumpets-and-collapse-of-Jericho has something to it.

the Daily Mail.

It may amuse you to know that the Daily Mail is considered an acceptable source for news citation by the Physics Forum and other mainstream fora simply because it is a national daily which employs professional science writers, etc. Use of unacceptable sources such as blogs and non-mainstream sources is an instant infraction. Go figure, but them's the rules.

...:ill: So it's not just the Sun that's trying to kill us, eh. Wow. That's soooooo comforting to know. Gee thanks alot.

...:ill: So it's not just the Sun that's trying to kill us, eh. Wow. That's soooooo comforting to know. Gee thanks alot.

The surface of the Earth (plus or minus a handful of miles) is the only known place in the universe hospitable to biological life.

Should Earth's magnetic shield drop and fail, biology would be threatened by solar wind, solar energetic particles and by cosmic rays. Civilization and humanity would be doomed, as would atmosphere and water, and Earth would come to resemble the dead planet Mars - unless the magnetic field resumed.

It ought to be clear by now that biological and particularly human life is a cosmic accident, a freak event, a once in a trillion occurrence. We don't really belong here. And we may not be here for much longer. You were expecting something different? Too bad, but there are no guarantees. You could put your fingers in your ears and say "La la la la la!". Or you could believe in miracles and pray for resurrection and eternal life in the heavens. Perhaps there is an universal consciousness which you may rejoin, and come to know the lives and concerns of the nebulae, stars and moons.

My advice is to treasure the time you have left with your family, enjoy food, drink and friends, and party until the end. If you suffer from depression, try watching Game of Thrones, or take up fencing. It works for me!

My advice is to treasure the time you have left with your family, enjoy food, drink and friends, and party until the end. If you suffer from depression, try watching Game of Thrones, or take up fencing. It works for me!

...Good advice. However, I am not into pointy things so, no fencing for me. :lol:

Oh, as far as GOT is concerned, I'm probably only human being on this god's green earth who watched only the first episode. :D Not my thing. Gimme The Mentalist or Bones - hell even CSI Miami would suffice.
👍

I hate conspiracy theories, but the theory of the "Aurora" stealth aircraft is very interesting. There's multiple stories of an extremely low humming noise, similar to a rocket engine, but with evenly timed pulses. Reports of "donuts-on-a-rope" contrails form after these noises were heard. No one has any official photos or audio recordings of the aircraft, but apparently, one man by the name of Chuck Clark claims to have video evidence of the plane taking off from Groom Lake, Nevada, or as everyone commonly knows, Area 51. He won't release the video until the government officially reveals the aircraft to the public, so we probably won't see it for a long time, or at all. :guilty:

Personally, this is some highly intriguing stuff. I have a passion for aviation, especially military aircraft. With claims that the Aurora can hit Mach 5 (Faster than the currently known fastest jet in the world, the SR-71 Blackbird, which could hit Mach 3.3, or 2,200 MPH), I need to see this plane. The mysteries and exotic technology claims surrounding this only make me more excited.

If you want to read more, here's a Wikipedia article about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(aircraft)

Here is a very fun story about strange noises and lights being harbingers of misfortune.

Possible earthlight over Table Rock, Linville Gorge Wilderness. Photo by Bill Fox.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/03/could-some-ghost-lights-be-linked-to-mystery-booms/

Possible earthquake lights photographed near Mansfield, Ohio, in January 2014.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/...r-the-ages-describe-harbingers-of-misfortune/
The third photo sure looks like the "northern lights" or "light pillars". We had these over here when the temperature drops really low. I'm guessing it's the same thing as the pic is taken in January.

There's a mystery hum that's been audible in Plymouth since the 70s, but what I've heard tonight - with my window open - is more like a distant, long air raid siren type noise, albeit not as shrill. I thought it was some chavs revving out their cars at the nearby retail park, but it happened so frequently over an hour period I concluded it wasn't. There's a tungsten mine more or less in the direction of my window, but nobody has posted about that being a source of noise as far as I can see.

VXR
There's a mystery hum that's been audible in Plymouth since the 70s, but what I've heard tonight - with my window open - is more like a distant, long air raid siren type noise, albeit not as shrill. I thought it was some chavs revving out their cars at the nearby retail park, but it happened so frequently over an hour period I concluded it wasn't. There's a tungsten mine more or less in the direction of my window, but nobody has posted about that being a source of noise as far as I can see.
The internet confirms there is long history of reports of the Plymouth hum. I saw one article claiming it was caused by the ocean putting pressure on the seafloor.

Oh, I meant that nobody had seemed to suggest the Tungsten mine, not the noise itself. The more recent reports are near to our Dockyard, where the nuclear Trident subs reside. I'm in the east of the city, possibly five miles from them. It's not a hum, but a whirr similar to engines under load.

This came up with regards to the mine, but it's more to do with vibrations and lower frequency sounds, if you take 'drumming in the ears' to mean that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-34707712

Latest Posts

Back