Strange noise heard around the world

Hey guys, this probably isn't related (I do not believe in the whole "sound across the world" concept) but I just heard a loud screaching sound coming from outside my house, sort of like the ones in the video. I don't know if you guys have ever heard a vehicle refueling natural gas, but that's what it sounds like. A really long whhoooooooooooosshhh which sounds hollow. I wonder what caused it.

Edit:

^ Like that but a lot louder.

Edit: Came back from school. In my morning math (or maths class for all you Brits) I heard it once more. Then whilst walking home I heard it again. Now my school and my home are quite the ways away but both are located on sort-of main streets. What makes me wonder is if it is some sort of vehicle making this strange sound. I'm assuming it's some sort of sucker, like a sewer pump thing. But damn it was weird.

Last edited:
I notice that most of these noises seem to be heard at high northern latitudes.

I notice that most of these noises seem to be heard at high northern latitudes.
...where the aurora borealis - or northern lights - are more likely to be seen.

I have thought all along that these noise phenomena were probably geophysical in origin. Recently, meteoritic fireball reports have risen to a high level. No less than 47 fireballs were reported for November 20th by NASA. The Great Comet of 1744 was noted by Chinese astronomers to have "audible sounds associated with the comet, which may, if true, have resulted from the interaction of particles with the Earth's magnetosphere, as sometimes described for the aurora.[7] " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Comet_of_1744

Last edited:
http://strangesounds.org/2013/05/st...-unexplained-noises-and-mysterious-booms.html

This collection of around 200 videos of strange noise events prior to Dec 16, 2012, comes from all parts of the world, including Mexico and Florida, where auroras are seldom seen. Strong solar flares can cause the aurora to be visible father south than it normally is seen. The Earth's magnetosphere and distribution of charged particles in the upper atmosphere also play a role with auroral displays.

My conjecture is that some of the strange noises may have been caused by the numerous meteoritic fireballs interacting with the magnetosphere and upper atmosphere over the past few years. The discovery of new phenomena such as noctilucent clouds and the 3rd Van Allen belt demonstrate that Earth's magnetosphere and upper atmosphere evolve and behave in ways that are not yet well understood.

Well, I live at 64° north, I've seen hundreds of northern lights and I've never heard so much as a beep from them.

Your terrain is quite granitous and pointy, I was told by a geophysicist colleague that they think some of the noises are polar stress in the crust reaching down through the earth and emitting long vibrations across "soft" plains that are exposed above water. That kind of makes sense to my layman brain and would explain why noises are "more often" heard in areas that see the aurorae borealis/australis.

I really have no idea, if it's not that it's aliens buried in the earth. For definite, no citation as yet but I bet I could find one somewhere :D

I really have no idea, if it's not that it's aliens buried in the earth. For definite, no citation as yet but I bet I could find one somewhere :D

If you are truly serious, you can likely make personal contact with quasi-intelligent plasma-based entities dwelling in and occasionally rising from the earth by traveling to Hessdalen, Norway, and being prepared to camp out there for awhile. Technically, these would not be alien beings, since they are indigenous to our planet and undoubtedly precede us by long eons. Perhaps it is we humans who really the aliens, the unlikely anomalous creatures which can only exist in the limited environment on the surface and under the atmosphere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hessdalen_light

Your terrain is quite granitous and pointy, I was told by a geophysicist colleague that they think some of the noises are polar stress in the crust reaching down through the earth and emitting long vibrations across "soft" plains that are exposed above water. That kind of makes sense to my layman brain and would explain why noises are "more often" heard in areas that see the aurorae borealis/australis.

Where I live it's as flat as a Denmark. The pointy bits doesn't really start until you get close to Norway.

And shouldn't soft plains muffle the sound more than hard rock? I mean, take a piece of mud and strike it with a mallet, you'll get a soft thud. Take a piece of iron and do the same and you get a tone.

Water is also really good at transferring sound (you can even hear herrings fart) and it should have been picked up by sonars if it came from the crust.

Where I live it's as flat as a Denmark. The pointy bits doesn't really start until you get close to Norway.

And shouldn't soft plains muffle the sound more than hard rock? I mean, take a piece of mud and strike it with a mallet, you'll get a soft thud. Take a piece of iron and do the same and you get a tone.

Water is also really good at transferring sound (you can even hear herrings fart) and it should have been picked up by sonars if it came from the crust.

Water is good at transferring sound "laterally", not so good at letting it leave the medium into air... that's why some anechoic chambers use water damping in addition to other methods.

Whether or not the surface would "speak" depends, I'm guessing, on whether the plate itself is water damped. Maybe what he means is that harder pointy areas (which I accept you are not, you are flat and sunny and boaty) that stick through water are damped more easily than "soft" flat plains (I think he means much harder than mud) whose proportions aren't significantly damped by water. That's the only way it makes sense to me.

Mud would actually damp sound absolutely due to liquifaction, I think. In this debate I'm relying on my audio experience and admitting very little geophys knowledge at all, except that it's bloody expensive per-hour.

I just tried to ring the aforementioned GP Engineer to ask for a better explanation but, being a contractor, he's nowhere to be found (at $500 an hour probably :D )

Wow, that's pretty interesting! I was completely okay with Possible Explanation #1, fading a bit by the end of #2 and by the end of #3 I was utterly lost :D

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty interesting! I was completely okay with Possible Explanation #1, fading a bit by the end of #2 and by the end of #3 I was utterly lost :D

Yeah, a serious step up from Luciferian demons, fire-breathing dragons and Venusian flying saucers, isn't it? :cheers:
Even so, there's still quite a way to go before full explanation is possible. Digging deeper into Hessdalen lore, full understanding of how these lights achieve noted physical and psychological effects is lacking.

Yeah, a serious step up from Luciferian demons, fire-breathing dragons and Venusian flying saucers, isn't it? :cheers:
Even so, there's still quite a way to go before full explanation is possible. Digging deeper into Hessdalen lore, full understanding of how these lights achieve noted physical and psychological effects is lacking.

It makes me think of "graveyard lights" or "Will o' the Wisp". I've seen these in the UK, it's hard to say if they are ball shaped although they mostly appear to be. Very surreal and they naturally happen in the kind of places that humans normally find "spooky". Explains the madness of England's farther counties...

In 2012 (nevermind the year) at 2am I was going to sleep, then I was startled by a loud explosion. I immediately covered my head and ducked. The next day my friend visited me and told me if I also heard an explosion at 2am. He's almost 2 kilometers from our house. Also that year I was going to bed again this time around 3am when I heard something weird. It was a gurgling sound, like when your stomach is hungry but felt and sounded unnatural like it was coming from an engine or a machine. I checked outside and saw a thunderstorm literally above our house. For 27 years of my life, that is the first time I heard and saw a thunderstorm like that. It has a yellow lightning and also there's no loud bang at the end, it was all gurgling. I don't mean yellow lightning doesn't exists but its my first time seeing a yellow lightning.

Fair enough. But still lol, almost 4 months old.

That's nothing. I 'bumped' the Israel thread on the 1st of July when the last post in there was from November 2012.

No need for new threads when there are perfectly fine examples to use.

But getting back ontopic.

We have had a similar story here a couple of years ago.
After 8 months or so they found that there was a bend in a water main running under a city block.

Back