Strangest town names in your country

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
Just an idea I had. What are the weirdest, oddest, hardest to pronounce, or most lewd names for towns/cities in your region/state/country? Where I live (NJ) sadly there aren't any, but America is filled with 'em throughout the other states. Here are a few examples:
  • Rough and Ready, California
  • Handsome Eddy, New York
  • Boring, Oregon
  • Ugly, Michigan
  • Hell, Michigan
  • Sopchoppy, Florida
  • Intercourse, Alabama
  • Why Not, North Carolina
  • Santa Claus, Indiana
  • Ding Dong, Texas (in Bell county, too)
  • Satan's Kingdom, Massachusetts
  • Accident, Maryland
  • Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, Massachusetts (often shortened to "Lake Webster")
There are many more in America but those are just a few notable examples. I've heard that the UK and many other countries in Europe have their fair share of odd town names too. I'm sure we've all joked about that one town in Austria at one point or another. Let's get the ball rolling!

I posted this on the funny screenshot thread a few days ago.

JACKASS FLAT, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA

Screenshot_20190816-204004.png

Hurricane, UT - Nevermind that we've never had a hurricane hit Utah to begin with. Although Hurrican Linda did cause some residual damages in 2015.
Toole, UT - Unlike how I pronounced it for nearly two years it's not "Tooly" but rather "Too-will-uh".
Beaver, UT - *giggles like a school girl*
Lehi, Nephi, and Moroni, UT - They're all prophets in the Book of Mormon. It'd be like naming a town "Jesus" or "Mohammad" And actually come to think of it, a majority of cities/town in Utah get their names from the Book of Mormon.

Remembered another weird one, Tsawwassen, BC.

South of Tsawwassen is a small US exclave called Point Roberts, which is surrounded by water and reached by driving through Canada. What is the point of Point Roberts? I dunno. The satellite view is pretty funny.

My family comes from a town called Mold. Given that it's the American spelling (see: mould), it never dawned upon me how unusual a town name it is until I went to university and was talking to more people not from that area and they'd ask, "What, you mean the stuff that grows on rotten food?"

Some other odd or humourous English language placenames in Wales include Happy Valley, Fiddler's Elbow, Red Roses, Golly and for the more lewd people out there Sodom, Lord Hereford's Knob and Three Cocks.

It would be very easy to list Welsh language place names because they're all strange to a non-Welsh speaker but the most unusual, and famous, is the village on the island of Anglesey called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. At 51 letters (Ll and Ch are letters in Welsh) it is the third-longest single word place name in the world and the longest in Europe. Its translation is approximately St Mary's Church of the pool of the white hazel near the rapid whirpool and St Tysilio's Church of the red cave.

The original name of the village is supposed to be Llanfairpwllgwyngyll (St Mary's Pool White Hazel) which is long enough itself but when the railway was built in 1850 the story goes that in order to attract trains to stop in the village a local tailor came up with the long-form name to give the town the longest railway station name in Britain. This single-handedly created a thriving piece of tourism that is still alive and well to this day.

Some other Welsh language place names have humourous names when literally translated into English such as Penmaenmawr (Big Mountain Top), Penmaenfach (Little Mountain Top) and Coedpoeth (Hot Trees). Bangor is usually one because it sounds like Bang Her and yes, that is a common nickname given that that's where I went to university.

In New Mexico is a little town called Truth and Consequences.
In Michigan we, as already said, not only have Hell, but Colon, Kalamazoo (mostly just fun to say) Podunk, jugville and Climax. There's also a Wooden Shoe township a ghost town called Whores Corner, Gay, Paw Paw and Bumble Town. I won't even start in on the towns and cities with crazy Native names. That would make a very long list.

There’s a small town in eastern Connecticut that I’ve been through a number of times called Scotland. It’s not uncommon to see cities and towns in this part of the U.S. with names that correspond to cities and towns in the UK (Manchester, NH, for example), but this one definitely takes the cake. There’s even a sign next to the road upon reaching the town which says “Now Entering: Scotland”, which I’m sure has drawn a bemused face or two from the people who’ve driven by it.

The game of rugby is named after a school of the same name, which is in the town of Rugby in Warwickshire.

Might seem unusual if you only know the game, like having a town called Tennis or Snooker, but it's not that strange in the grand scheme of things.

The link indicates that the Rugby, North Dakota (the self proclaimed geographical centre of the USA), was named after Rugby, Warwickshire.

Not-very-interesting-side-fact... I've played Rugby at Rugby School, Rugby - well half a game anyway.

Back