Strangest town names in your country

Probably not the funniest, but it is only 100 yards from where I live.

dicq-slip.jpg

Since I live in Ohio now:

Reminderville
Put-in Bay
Knockenstiff
Celeryville
Jelloway
Defiance (There’s a folk punk band with the same name).
There's also:
Broken Sword
Risingsun (yes, all one word)
Crystal Rock
Charm
Assumption
River Styx
Acme
Fleatown

I used to travel all over Ohio as part of my old delivery job, and small town names were always a source of amusement on long boring drives.

I recently drove past this place. Screenshot_20200725-182845_Maps.jpg
Named after a sawmill owner, Howard Mesick. The township started life as a train station Howard Mesick built.
Positioned not so far south of Traverse City, it has become known as "Mushroom City USA" as morel mushroom hunters gather there annually for Mushroom Fest.
And to that end, not a fan of morel mushrooms... they make Mesick....:sly:

There's a town in South Dakota literally named "Wall".

I remember seeing Wall Drug bumper stickers everywhere as a kid, you don't really see them (or bumper stickers in general) anymore though.

so much so that Mystery Science Theater 3000 even referenced it a couple times.

That's not really that surprising since Joel is from Wisconsin and went to college in Minnesota.

Naamloos.png

Vispluk (red circle).

Vis = fish
Pluk = "tuft" or maybe derived from the verb "plukken" which means "to pick", "to pluck", "to collect".

• Happy, Texas
  • Murderkill, Delaware
  • Ugly, Michigan
  • Yeehaw Junction, Florida
  • Devil's Washtub, Wyoming
  • Yo, Pennsylvania
  • Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky
  • Jot-Em-Down, Texas
  • Gnaw Bone, Indiana
  • Hornytown, North Carolina
  • Bird-In-Hand, Pennsylvania
  • Social Circle, Georgia
  • Love Ladies, New Jersey
  • Toad Suck, Arkansas
  • Knockemstiff, Ohio
  • Zzyzx, California
  • Erect, North Carolina
  • Gay, North Carolina
  • Gay Lord, Michigan
  • Big Bone Lick, Kentucky
  • Oatmeal, Texas
  • Tarzan, Texas
  • Hot Coffee, Missouri
  • Odd, West Virginia

I can’t count the amount of times I’ve heard visitors pronounce Phuket as **** it.

• Yeehaw Junction, Florida
  • Gnaw Bone, Indiana
  • Toad Suck, Arkansas
  • Hot Coffee, Missouri

Heh, been to a few of those. There's also a Hot Coffee, Mississippi; next to Mount Olive (which isn't that unusual a town name, but they're food).

I can't believe I don't have a good photo of Yeehaw Junction - I've only stopped there about 20 times between Miami and Orlando. The story goes that it was originally called Jackass Junction along with just Yeehaw, because it's a ranching area of the state, but there's not a lot of official claim to the first notion (just "Yeehaw" appears on old maps). When they built the Turnpike, apparently they wanted a more family-friendly name for the tiny town.

Stupid factoid abut Yeehaw Junction...apparently the 2000 US Census data messed up the numbers and merged the data with another town; so the town with 22,000 people and the one with about 200 or so were swapped in official data. It was corrected in 2010. And then there was all the US Government defoliant testing in the 1960s...but I don't want to sound like too much of a wacko.

There's also:
River Styx

I used to travel all over Ohio as part of my old delivery job, and small town names were always a source of amusement on long boring drives.

Seriously, Medina...what the Hell?

Last edited:
In case anybody missed the news, on new year's day this year the town of ****ing in Austria changed its name to Fugging. It reflects another town in Austria that changed its name from ****ing to Fugging in 1824.

For what it's worth, both towns' names come from a Bavarian noble called Focko (c. 9th century, I think).

How am I supposed to get to the Fudge Factory if I can't get to Uranus? Highway is apparently constipated as they wipe up the accident.

Screenshot_20210716-080725_Twitter.jpg

In England we have the Reading Festival (like Glastonbury, but in Reading (Reding)). I wonder how many people from abroad thought they were buying tickets to a book convention.

In England we have the Reading Festival (like Glastonbury, but in Reading (Reding)). I wonder how many people from abroad thought they were buying tickets to a book convention.
University of Reading is a funny name.

We have a small hamlet called "Buitenland" which in my language means abroad or foreign country.

1280px-Wegwijzer_naar_Buitenland.jpg

Back