Strangest town names in your country

Just in my state alone:
- Boring, Oregon
- Drain, Oregon
- Riddle, Oregon
- Beaver, Oregon (okay maybe it's not so bad ;))
- Powder, Oregon
- ZigZag, Oregon

Worst places to live in Oregon? Anywhere outside of the Willamette Valley. It's either rural dumping grounds or touristy coastal towns (which are cool, but you'd have to put up with the 'tourists').

Jerome

Wetwang, Near York, North Yorkshire
I swear this is actually true, there really is a place in Yorkshire called Wetwang
(Also, it’s actually near York, not Leeds. Well done brain)

Last edited:
Wetwang, Near York, North Yorkshire
I swear this is actually true, there really is a place in Yorkshire called Wetwang
(Also, it’s actually near York, not Leeds. Well done brain)

The most innocent one in Yorkshire is Penistone because it's not pronounced... like that. It's pronounced PENN-iston, I think

Welcome to:
Rectum.png

Ok this one is not in my country but have a read and try not to laugh.
https://me.me/i/entering-dildo-dildo-is-a-town-in-newfoundland-they-have-5356757

upload_2019-8-22_11-11-50.jpeg

near Manchester
It's certainly nearer to Manchester than it is to London but, as it's in a totally different county and the other side of the country's most prominent range of hills...

In Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, one can go from Blue Ball to Paradise by way of Intercourse.

Is Lancaster County not where an Amish community is? I bet they don't go through Intercourse, PA.

Not until they're married, anyway.

There’s a small town in eastern Connecticut that I’ve been through a number of times called Scotland. It’s not uncommon to see cities and towns in this part of the U.S. with names that correspond to cities and towns in the UK (Manchester, NH, for example), but this one definitely takes the cake. There’s even a sign next to the road upon reaching the town which says “Now Entering: Scotland”, which I’m sure has drawn a bemused face or two from the people who’ve driven by it.
There is also a Manchester, New London, Oxford, Bristol, Cheshire, Winchester, Coventry, Essex, and Greenwich here in Connecticut. Lot’s of British town names! Also Berlin.

Guilford and Milford Connecticut always cracked me up.

Is Lancaster County not where an Amish community is? I bet they don't go through Intercourse, PA.

Not until they're married, anyway.

Yep, all three towns are smack dab in the middle of Amish country.

The only two towns in my state (NJ) with odd names are Ho-Ho-Kus, a rich suburb in the northeast part of the state, and Foul Rift, a small, rural town in the northwest corner. Even weirder, a road called Shades of Death Road passes through Foul Rift.

Two Egg, Florida. Completely unknown origin of the name, unincorporated, but a recognized placename.

There's a bunch in my state:

Killdeer, ND
South Heart, ND
Six Mile Corner, ND
Zap, ND
Ypsilanti, ND
Devil's Lake, ND
Buttzville, ND
Wimbledon, ND

We have a few in New Zealand, a few of them can sound quite funny with the way we pronounce things in Maori.
But I think we hold the record for the longest place name ......

TAUMATA WHAKATANGI HANGAKOAUAU O TAMATEA TURI PUKAKAPIKI MAUNGA HORO NUKU POKAI WHENUA KITANATAHU

Dont ask me how to say it, and I've never been there.

We have a few in New Zealand, a few of them can sound quite funny with the way we pronounce things in Maori.
But I think we hold the record for the longest place name ......

TAUMATA WHAKATANGI HANGAKOAUAU O TAMATEA TURI PUKAKAPIKI MAUNGA HORO NUKU POKAI WHENUA KITANATAHU

Dont ask me how to say it, and I've never been there.
Come to Wales. We have, deep breath..... Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
And no, not even the Welsh can pronounce this properly

Come to Wales. We have, deep breath..... Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
And no, not even the Welsh can pronounce this properly
It would be very easy to list Welsh language place names because they're all strange to a non-Welsh speaker but the most unusual, and famous, is the village on the island of Anglesey called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. At 51 letters (Ll and Ch are letters in Welsh) it is the third-longest single word place name in the world and the longest in Europe. Its translation is approximately St Mary's Church of the pool of the white hazel near the rapid whirpool and St Tysilio's Church of the red cave.

The original name of the village is supposed to be Llanfairpwllgwyngyll (St Mary's Pool White Hazel) which is long enough itself but when the railway was built in 1850 the story goes that in order to attract trains to stop in the village a local tailor came up with the long-form name to give the town the longest railway station name in Britain. This single-handedly created a thriving piece of tourism that is still alive and well to this day.
Also I can, although I'm only half Welsh.

I've been to Woy Woy in Australia, just north of Sydney, that name always makes me smile, though Australia is full of wird place names. My sister-in-law lives near Wollongong. Here in the Uk we have a small village rather unfortunately called Bell End.

I've been to Woy Woy in Australia, just north of Sydney, that name always makes me smile, though Australia is full of wird place names. My sister-in-law lives near Wollongong. Here in the Uk we have a small village rather unfortunately called Bell End.
Oof lol

Kräkångersnoret - originally meant “narrow water passage by the bay where there are cattle”, but in modern Swedish the meaning is “the vomit regret snot”.

Also, it’s situated near the town of Skellefteå, and some years ago when a band from the UK was coming to play at a festival there they reportedly told their manager “are we really going to a town in the north of Sweden called ‘she left you'?”.

Latest Posts

Back