Street Tuned S2000 race Round1

Even with RS tires this event is going to be quite challenging because we're keeping all cars at the same power/weight ratio and PP points. It would suck that people after joining a race like the one on Sunday, would be discouraged from playing again with the S2000s because they can't drive the car. The S2k is not an easy car to handle, even with RS tires and much less at 350HP. As much as I like to keep things "realistic", the sole purpose I created this event was to have fun.

It's gonna be challenging because the rules are solid, there's no performance gaps. We are doing a spec race and no matter what tire the fast guys are gonna rise to the top and the slow ones are gonna fall back.
Now what are you gonna do about intentional contact, bumping, people punting others off and that sort of thing?
The first turn at Tskuba is always a mess and almost always the guy up front who pays for the stupidity of others. So pleas everyone stay to your braking spots and don't try to win on the first turn!

Jav
I really don't get the whole sport soft-racing soft debate and the unrealistic debate... The point from the ss camp is pretty much pointless! Obviously they've never been on a real track on a compettitive enviroment, talking about real door to door, not a 1 time HPDE guy who knows it all.

Even though I only autocross my Z, there is a huge difference between running my Falken FK452s which are sport tires compared to running on a set of Advan A005 Race Slicks. Doesn't matter if it's competitive racing or autocrossing. The difference is pretty noticeable, you can push more using a sticky race slick over sport tires. If you can't tell the difference, then I don't know what to say. Since it sounds like you have some track experience with what you stated up above.

Sorry for my ignorance...how will I find the room this Sunday? Any practice event going on Friday or Saturday? I'm about to buy my S2000 and upgrade it to the max:)

RDB
Sorry for my ignorance...how will I find the room this Sunday? Any practice event going on Friday or Saturday? I'm about to buy my S2000 and upgrade it to the max:)

I will post the room number 1/2-1 hr prior to starting the race at 8PM ET. lol I definately suggest some practice runs as the S2000 can get some time to master. I'm busy teh whole day today, I will open a room tomorrow for some runs.

Jav
I really don't get the whole sport soft-racing soft debate and the unrealistic debate... The point from the ss camp is pretty much pointless! Obviously they've never been on a real track on a compettitive enviroment, talking about real door to door, not a 1 time HPDE guy who knows it all. I'm talking about the enviroment where the 600 pound/ 80hp car is running on slicks. It's competition and no matter the figures you are looking for the competitive edge!
I get the point of RS masking mistakes, but guess what you still pay for the mistakes when driving against competent people.

I'm an SCCA Solo 2 National Championship Trophy Winner, and multiple regional carting championship winner. Still want to tell me I've never been in a real competitive wheel to wheel environment and that I don't know what I'm talking about with respect to tire performance? :) I've driven competitively on a very wide range of tires, from crappy all-seasons, to performance streets like Dunlop Direzza StarSpec Z1, REO1R/RE11 as well as DOT R compound Hoosier A6/R6 and V710.

I agree with everything else you say, the top drivers will rise to the top. The point is the level of difficulty in GT5 associated with driving the tires to the limit. The racing softs are wayyy easier to drive fast than the others. The grip level you achieve with them is ungodly, something like sutained 1.5 g's or something like that (mechanical grip only, less than 60mph range we'll say, no aero impact), which for any OEM street car in real life just isn't going to happen! :) As a point of reference, my real life s2000, competing in SCCA B-Stock class, with tuned shocks on 245 Hoosier A6's sustains somewhere in the 1.13 G range (sure there are spikes of much more than that, but were talking sustained lateral grip).

I'm just all for keeping the driving skill placed at a premium. You achieve this by running less grippy, more "real world" tires where more precise braking, steering and throttle input is required to hustle the car around the corner. This is why things like GT-Academy run such tires to weed out the good drivers. Understand the "debate" now? :)

Anyway, look forward to racing with you 👍

Last edited:
I'm an SCCA Solo 2 National Championship Trophy Winner, and multiple regional carting championship winner. Still want to tell me I've never been in a real competitive wheel to wheel environment and that I don't know what I'm talking about with respect to tire performance? :) I've driven competitively on a very wide range of tires, from crappy all-seasons, to performance streets like Dunlop Direzza StarSpec Z1, REO1R/RE11 as well as DOT R compound Hoosier A6/R6 and V710.

I agree with everything else you say, the top drivers will rise to the top. The point is the level of difficulty in GT5 associated with driving the tires to the limit. The racing softs are wayyy easier to drive fast than the others. The grip level you achieve with them is ungodly, something like sutained 1.5 g's or something like that (mechanical grip only, less than 60mph range we'll say, no aero impact), which for any OEM street car in real life just isn't going to happen! :) As a point of reference, my real life s2000, competing in SCCA B-Stock class, with tuned shocks on 245 Hoosier A6's sustains somewhere in the 1.13 G range (sure there are spikes of much more than that, but were talking sustained lateral grip).

I'm just all for keeping the driving skill placed at a premium. You achieve this by running less grippy, more "real world" tires where more precise braking, steering and throttle input is required to hustle the car around the corner. This is why things like GT-Academy run such tires to weed out the good drivers. Understand the "debate" now? :)

Anyway, look forward to racing with you 👍
Good, finally someone who actually knows what he's taking about! My point here is that no matter the grip level the tire provide it still take skills to get the car to the limits and drive it there lap after lap after lap!
SCCA official here, 3 time PRRRA(wich became the SCCA Guayacan Region) time trial champion, 15 years doing this be it on karting, TT, AX, TA or RR.

Jav
Good, finally someone who actually knows what he's taking about! My point here is that no matter the grip level the tire provide it still take skills to get the car to the limits and drive it there lap after lap after lap!
SCCA official here, 3 time PRRRA(wich became the SCCA Guayacan Region) time trial champion, 15 years doing this be it on karting, TT, AX, TA or RR.

Nice! I love racing SCCA/NASA club racers. Usually very clean and fast! Congrats on the TT wins! I'm looking to get in to TT's at the end of this summer. See you online on Sunday.

Should be a fun sprint race at the Japanese bull ring!

It is nice, nothing like the smell of race fuel and burnt brake pads on the morning! I'm kind of retired at the moment(lack of funds) but still have my car, I'll eventually get back into it in about 2-3 years.
Back to the race, how's everything looking? Do we have a full grid?

Grid is complete. I am thinking of also adding "weak penalty" somthing like 3 secs slow down to restrict it a bit more and make it a cleaner event.

Grid is complete. I am thinking of also adding "weak penalty" somthing like 3 secs slow down to restrict it a bit more and make it a cleaner event.

For this type of event penalties are just fine, for longer races where the leaders are certainly gonna lap people I would say no penalties. But in this case I think they are going to be needed!

Alright, weak penalties will be on then. Does the penalty system gest activated if you bump someone from behind? If they do, imo a weak penalty will enforce even more the respect of each diver's position as well as avoiding the ocassional pushing people off the track.
Btw, are we able to save replays from online races? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to take screen shots at the end of every race to remember everyone's position.

Thing with the penalties is that sometimes the punish you when you are the one being bumped... That system is a long way from being perfect!

^Let me guess.. Mugen NSX RR lol

If only they had that car for this game..

Anyways, I'm doing some practice runs and currently lapping 57.5 around Tsukuba :)
Anyone wants to join, jump in!

1472 6681 3716 3560 6849

^Let me guess.. Mugen NSX RR lol

If only they had that car for this game..

Anyways, I'm doing some practice runs and currently lapping 57.5 around Tsukuba :)
Anyone wants to join, jump in!

1472 6681 3716 3560 6849

Yeah right! It's not on the game, but i can give out a NSX LM prototype Road Car. I'll just leave the choice up to the winner!

Yup! That's the norm! I think that after 100 miles you are fully broken in, but not sure abou it please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Gents, unfortunately due to unexpected circumstances, I'm probably going to have to back out on the racing tonight. Just behind schedule on some "life tasks." If I can make it I'll see you there, but it's not looking good. My sincere apologies. Please do keep me informed of the next event and pass on my spot if there are people on a waiting list. Again, sorry for the late notice on this.

Have fun tonight!

Nick

Gents, unfortunately due to unexpected circumstances, I'm probably going to have to back out on the racing tonight. Just behind schedule on some "life tasks." If I can make it I'll see you there, but it's not looking good. My sincere apologies. Please do keep me informed of the next event and pass on my spot if there are people on a waiting list. Again, sorry for the late notice on this.

Have fun tonight!

Nick

Ohh man! Hope to see you there! This is gonna be at least a 2 hour thing I'd imagine so drop in when you are done!

I'm wondering who of the registered drivers have mics/headphones?

Alright gentleman, I will be creating the room now if you want to join. There will be 10 available spaces only. The event will begins @ 8pm ET sharp. First track will be Tsukuba Circuit.

Room Name is: Street Tuned S2000
ROOM#: 1472 6118 4216 8214 3201

We will do a practice run before the beggining of every race except for Nurburgring.

Last edited:
Back