Subaru BRZ Coming

• Thread starter tpark103
  • 126 comments
It's not. Take a closer look at that video, or even the first screenshot taken.

Bummer.
Having to do all this right hand side driving on GT, then switching over to left hand driving on other games is getting disorienting. :dunce:
Oh well. I'll still drive it more than the Toyota twins.

yes, is a """""""""""""""different""""""""""""""" car.....

So if you owned a BRZ in real life and had to settle for driving the Toyota version in the game, would you be happy?

Probably not. Hence why PD does what they do.

So if you owned a BRZ in real life and had to settle for driving the Toyota version in the game, would you be happy?

Probably not. Hence why PD does what they do.

No, this is the easiest way to expand the overall car list in the game, hence we got many unneeded MX-5/MIATA/ROADSTER and VAUXHALL/OPEL, FAIRLADY/300ZX and S2000 U/J/EU and etc.

What is really important and necessary is variety (look on Forza's car list, only cars which double are Vauxhall/Opel Speedsteer I guess).

There will not be reason to complain if we get BZR along with 20 brand new cars (as GT5 DLC). But if BRZ is to be one car out of six or less general complaints are grounded.

By any chance, are you too one of those people who believe that each "duplicate" takes the same amount of time to create as a completely new car made from scratch, and therefore that not including them would have allowed PD to include a different car instead?

I'm not one of those people but I am one of the people who believes the duplicates are an easy way to boost their car numbers with little effort which makes for misleading numbers when promoting the game.

Yes 10 unique cars plus 10 duplicates doesn't mean we could have 20 unique cars instead but it does mean when they advertise the game with 20 cars it's not telling the whole story until you see the list or play the game for the first time.

In short, it leads to disappointment. I'd much rather be told the game has 300 unique cars than to go in expecting 500 cars and be disappointed because 200 of those are duplicates.

(Note all of the above numbers are obviously just examples)

No, this is the easiest way to expand the overall car list in the game, hence we got many unneeded MX-5/MIATA/ROADSTER and VAUXHALL/OPEL, FAIRLADY/300ZX and S2000 U/J/EU and etc.

Yes it does boost the numbers, but some cars deserve to have slight copies, and the BRZ / 86 / FR-S is one of them as technically they are 3 different cars.

As far as the MX-5 goes, I can agree that there are too many copies. However, if it were up to me these are all we would need in the game:

• 1993 1.6 NA
  • 1995 1.8 NA M-Edition
  • 1997 1.8 NA
  • 1999 1.8 NB (+ 10th Ann. paint option)
  • 2001 1.8 NB Sport
  • 2003 1.8 NB Coupe (super rare)
  • 2004 1.8 Mazdaspeed Turbo
  • 2006 2.0 NC
  • 2009 2.0 NC Refresh
  • 2012 2.0 NC Super20 Concept

I'd only care about it if they fixed the specs to match an actual car. GT86/FR-S in-game are off on HP/Torque curves, as well as on spring rates.

I'd only care about it if they fixed the specs to match an actual car. GT86/FR-S in-game are off on HP/Torque curves, as well as on spring rates.
This is a problem which afflicts many other cars that aren't "duplicates".
By the way, virtually every car in the game has wrong wheel alignment values (camber and toe) compared to real specifications.

Yes it does boost the numbers, but some cars deserve to have slight copies, and the BRZ / 86 / FR-S is one of them as technically they are 3 different cars.

Generally Yes, but instead of them I would rather have for example more premium Corvette, Camaro from every generation or 5 different Firebirds (at least one!) or premium Veyron, Countach, Supra, Fiat Coupe, Mitsubishi GTO and many more. And they should devote their time for this not for creating another copy of GT86.

No news on that issue (premium Veyron and other cars) really gets on my nerves and it is heightened by possible receiving another GT-R or GT68's clone.

Generally Yes, but instead of them I would rather have for example more premium Corvette, Camaro from every generation or 5 different Firebirds (at least one!) or premium Veyron, Countach, Supra, Fiat Coupe, Mitsubishi GTO and many more. And they should devote their time for this not for creating another copy of GT86.

No news on that issue (premium Veyron and other cars) really gets on my nerves and it is heightened by possible receiving another GT-R or GT68's clone.

There isn't any news on new premium cars for GT6 or GT5 because PD is currently working on GT6 and ages go Kaz said he wanted all cars premium in GT5 but didn't have enough time.

Sorry, I just don't see the problem with spending a fraction of time changing the badges and front bumper over to the Subaru and releasing it...

Sorry, I just don't see the problem with spending a fraction of time changing the badges and front bumper over to the Subaru and releasing it...

KAZ didn't see this problem either. So that is why we got Mini'11, Nissan GT-R'12, Scion FR-S and a bunch of GT Academy cars instead of Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale, F50, Pontiac Firebird, Diablo, premium RUF and etc.

KAZ didn't see this problem either. So that is why we got Mini'11, Nissan GT-R'12, Scion FR-S and a bunch of GT Academy cars instead of Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale, F50, Pontiac Firebird, Diablo, premium RUF and etc.

Those don't count, they were from a mini game of GT Academy and been hand out to those who completed the challenges. IMO it's better to save the other cars for GT6 than to waste them all in GT5.

TokoTurismo
Those don't count, they were from a mini game of GT Academy and been hand out to those who completed the challenges. IMO it's better to save the other cars for GT6 than to waste them all in GT5.

Toko is completely right on this one(not having dinner this time ;-) ) lol Gaming has always been about innovation, so why stay in the past?

Those don't count, they were from a mini game of GT Academy and been hand out those who completed the challenges. IMO it's better to save the other cars for GT6 than to waste them all in GT5.

It is not certain whether Kaz treated Academy cars as DLC or only as a prize.

If GT6 is going to be a PS3 game it's obvious that they should leave new cars for the new game, but if GT6 is planned to be released on PS4 they should make it up with new cars for GT5 (we got only around 200 premiums and many iconic cars are missing).

I feel the same way, especially tracks. I mean I still would like tracks for GT5, but like the cars, its use in GT5 would be extremely limited anyway.

It is not certain whether Kaz treated Academy cars as DLC or only as a prize.

I may have to agree with you on this one. When Kaz tweeted that they're working on something for GT5, it eventually lead to the GTAcademy stuff. Plus, it may explain why we really haven't gotten any DLC for months since he mentioned. Or maybe, I'm just trying too hard to be optimistic.

...which require more effort than just modeling. They require new licenses to be obtained which isn't as easy as you think...

...which require more effort than just modeling. They require new licenses to be obtained which isn't as easy as you think...

Most cars are actually easy to obtain licenses from. Kaz also mentioned that sometimes all it took was a simple phone call. Unless we're talking about Porsche or something, the main problem will always be the modeling, which is not only time consuming, but most times involve traveling very far, with their own group.

I don't think that they need to obtain new licences in order to upgrade some already existing standard cars to premium (like Veyron, Countach, Supra and etc). But it would be certainly more appreciated than the release of FR-S and new GT-R with different sticker. At least they have licence for Aston Martin One-77. Why this car hasn't appeared in the game yet?

Last edited:
By the way

If it is possible to infer from those screens of BRZ (amount of graphic details and etc) whether the car is modeled for PS3 game of for the next gen?

It isn't very clear from those screenshots, but it's known that cars made for GT5 are modeled by common high-poly 3DCG standards, which means they're pretty much future proof.

Cars made for GT4 and below were made directly as low-poly game models, meaning fake details, pixel-painted textures and baked (pre-calculated, textured) shadows. That's why PD had to redo them from scratch for Premium models.

By the way

If it is possible to infer from those screens of BRZ (amount of graphic details and etc) whether the car is modeled for PS3 game of for the next gen?

It doesn't matter, because premiums will be used next gen. So they can model a car and put it either on ps3 or next gen because the detail is about the same.

It doesn't matter, because premiums will be used next gen. So they can model a car and put it either on ps3 or next gen because the detail is about the same.

We don't know if the next gens "premium" are not going to be much more detailed than current premiums, but on the other hand maybe the major leap has already been done from standards to present premiums.

We don't know if the next gens "premium" are not going to be much more detailed than current premiums, but on the other hand maybe the major leap has already been done from standards to present premiums.

They can't be much more detailed, they just need some minor tweaking but the current models are ready for any future game. Like you said, the major leap has been done. They are future-proofed.

The only way next generation Premium models can be more detailed is by adding functional detail as engine bay, doors and hoods that can open, chassis detail, detachable panels when damaging the car, etc. However existing models will be perfectly usable, in no way looking "old-gen".

In case processing power in the next-gen Playstation allows, all they need to do to increase detail in order to make them even nicer looking (if you notice, in certain cases GT5 models can look "low poly" at a close distance) is bump up subdivision surface one step, then optimize the resulting 3D mesh and generate/tweak the added levels of detail needed for the game to smoothly work. With previous PS2 3D models they couldn't do that because they were made in a different way as I mentioned. And also, increase texture resolution (for interiors/dashboard...).

Last edited:
The only way next generation premium can be more detailed is by adding functional detail as engine bay, doors and hoods that can open, chassis detail, detachable panels when damaging the car, etc. However existing models will be perfectly usable, in no way looking "old-gen".

In case processing power in the next-gen Playstation allows, all they need to do to increase detail in order to make them even nicer looking (if you notice, in certain cases GT5 models can look "low poly" at a close distance) is bump up subdivision surface one step, then optimize the resulting 3D mesh and generate/tweak the added levels of detail needed for the game to smoothly work. With previous PS2 3D models they couldn't do that because they were made in a different way as I mentioned.

Yea those low poly curved surfaces are what I meant by minor tweaking. But that can only be seen on extreme close-ups and only a couple of premiums currently suffer because of that. And I don't think they will model the engine and chassis detail. But you never know...

And the good news is that when the next gen arrives they don't have to waste resources on improving car models, they can use them for better physics, lightning, track detail etc...

Back