• 36 comments

D-Mind

GT7 Addict (fka Rayquaza)
Premium
Netherlands
The Netherlands
djdmind
Hey everyone!

I was looking back at the GT4 Photomode Competitions part of GTPlanet, and found this gem of a competition that went on for a VERY long time back in the day. It's basically [CAR/MAKE/TYPE etc..] vs [CAR/MAKE/TYPE etc..] and it was a very exciting competition back then!

Would anybody be interested in hosting it again? With changing PMC and 2.0 rules each week?

Let's see some answers!

I'm interested:tup:
Though we do have H2H in PMC and 2.0 comps every 4th week I think. So if this were to take off, would it be wise to drop them from the established comps? Just a thought:)

I'd vote for it to be anonymous entries too;)

Heh, the decision to roll the H2H idea into PMC and 2.0 (once a month, staggered) was taken just before the release of GT5 because H2H provides some... let's say limited theme options. Just ask anybody who gets saddled with them each time nowadays :P

With that being said, I'm not strictly opposed to its return, just let it be known that it doesn't have quite the staying power as others, over time. 👍

Heh, the decision to roll the H2H idea into PMC and 2.0 (once a month, staggered) was taken just before the release of GT5 because H2H provides some... let's say limited theme options. Just ask anybody who gets saddled with them each time nowadays :P

With that being said, I'm not strictly opposed to its return, just let it be known that it doesn't have quite the staying power as others, over time. 👍

It did have almost 70 weeks worth of themes back in the GT4 days, so i think it might have potential! And people on these boards are even more creative than back then, so it seems. It's good that you aren't opposed to it's return, but perhaps @Nato_777 will have more pleasure hosting it?

Always open to other competition ideas and options. 👍
I wouldn't be wanting to take it on though - I'm kept busy enough with two comps, the tournaments (these are particularly time consuming) and keeping the Hall of Fame up to date (I'll be updating that again today sometime).
As much as I enjoy contributing to and being of service to the community, adding another comp to host would probably stretch me a little too thin. ;)

If anyone else wants to host though that's all good. Any new competition will start off life as an unofficial comp so you won't be able to use the official competition banner templates etc, and will have to make your own (as I did with the Secret Santa comp until Jordan approved it for official status).

I too am all for new comps, if they can work and hold numbers for a good number of weeks. 👍 I do agree though if it were to go ahead that perhaps the H2H rounds of the PMC & 2.0 should be dropped. That might also encourage people who feel like a H2H now and again to enter the H2H comp, otherwise numbers might be pretty low.

And as metioned hosting it is a bit of issue, 2 comps for both Slipz and Nato plus the other duties they take on is quite a bit. I myself am not sure I'd have the time to keep things on track either i'm afraid.

I also agree that coming up with H2H themes are harder, particularly when trying to make sure it's different from whats been done before, a lot of my 2.0 wins in the past have fallen just before H2H weeks and I always found it tougher to come up with H2H themes.

But if it did start up I'll likely try my best to enter and keep it rolling. 👍

I also really miss the 3.0 comp, as it allowed us to strech our creative legs a little more. But that one was pretty tough to keep up as it is much more time consuming to enter and numbers dwindled, plus host duties became too hard. :sad:

I was wondering IF...a Grand Theft Auto photomode competition just for us regular photomoders would work here? I know there is a dedicated GTA forum and that has a general snapmatic thread but i'd love to think that we could incorporate our love of shooting into our little photomode forum?

It's a long shot and i pretty much know what the answer will be but it's just a thought.

Also, how about an open edit comp. People can enter what they like as long as it follows the theme...uneditied, heavy edit, whatever they like? Again, probably a terrible idea! hehe

Also, how about an open edit comp. People can enter what they like as long as it follows the theme...uneditied, heavy edit, whatever they like? Again, probably a terrible idea! hehe

Well I like the sound of this, but i'm pretty sure this may not fly. A fair number of people may be put off by the big editors around here and feel they may not have a good chance in the polls. But I can see how having it completely open could get more people entering, particularly if voting was quite strongly merited on a pure photographic basis but most people me included can't deny that a good shot topped off with good editing will always look better.

That open editing sounds cool too. If i had more time on ny hands myself i would host this, but vacation is almost over.. who volunteers as tribute??

Also , if h2h launches we indeed should drop those rounds from the other comp.

I have hosted some competitions in GT4 days, but back then I had more free time on my hands. If the idea of these new competitions go to the next step, count me in, I will enter for as long as I have free time on my hands.

BTW @leeislee I liked your idea, really! GTA V has a lot of potential to have a photo competition. 👍

Plenty of people are looking forward to this competition i see! We need someone that wants to host! Anyone wants, or knows somebody that is able to? I could be able to help out with custom banners, if needed.

@leeislee - I think a GTA photo comp would be well-received, but... (you knew that was coming, huh? ;( )

I'd say put it in the dedicated section, not here. Not just for obvious logistic purposes, but because there's actually quite a lot of members over there that use snapmatic quite a bit, that don't really venture over here. Introducing new people to comps - and mentioning both the GT and GTA comps to the opposite camps - could promote some cross-pollination 👍

@leeislee - I think a GTA photo comp would be well-received, but... (you knew that was coming, huh? ;( )

I'd say put it in the dedicated section, not here. Not just for obvious logistic purposes, but because there's actually quite a lot of members over there that use snapmatic quite a bit, that don't really venture over here. Introducing new people to comps - and mentioning both the GT and GTA comps to the opposite camps - could promote some cross-pollination 👍
You're right! :)

This is a little different, but I think a good idea for a comp could be a landmark comp. Say for example say the Dunlop bridge would have to be in it somewhere, or a certain building, or a statue, etc. Could have the entries secret too. If we real want the entries to be secret we could also assign a car and mandate the car is stock (not respray end and with stock wheels) so nobody is gave away by resent sets or anything :cheers:

This is a little different, but I think a good idea for a comp could be a landmark comp. Say for example say the Dunlop bridge would have to be in it somewhere, or a certain building, or a statue, etc. Could have the entries secret too. If we real want the entries to be secret we could also assign a car and mandate the car is stock (not respray end and with stock wheels) so nobody is gave away by resent sets or anything :cheers:

I think a country competition would be better then, as it leaves more creativity for the themes. :) Either way, an extra competition wouldn't hurt, be it the H2H, landmark or Country.

Maybe we should put up a poll between Head2Head, Country or Landmark? @Amac500
I think we could, but I think if we want to go forward with getting a new comp launch we need to have someone who can commit to hosting it. I would be willing if not for my schedule being so unpredictable. But yeah, if we could get somebody to commit to host it would be good for drumming up interest. If we do that and then launch a poll idk if we could get it pinned at the top of the main photomode forum to try to attract more photomoders who don't participate in comps. If we can do that I think it would be money.

Btw, just to clarify on the Landmark comp idea, good examples would be like the Dunlop bridge at Le Mans, the pagoda at Indy, Ferris wheel at Suzuka, the press box at Daytona, or even something like the Karusell at the Nurburing. Could really be any building or grandstand or bridge at any track or Photomode location; doesn't have to be globally famous. And the "landmark" would just have to visible somewhere in the picture; doesn't have to be the main focus but should be identifiable. But yeah, if you wanna make a poll for the ideas describe it like that, thought I'd elaborate more since it's a foreign idea. Kind of some what of a running mate to the CCCL idea. :cheers:

Wait a second, @Yin Yang how are you going to host a comp if you don't have a computer?

I will attempt at co-hosting, he is arranging for banners and such, although i think it would be best if 1 person could host this full time...

Back