Suggestions Box

• Thread starter Kent
  • 1,615 comments
I had an idea, the Tuning Garages often work hard on tuning cars for people to use in the GT4 forums, that is Mad Finn Tuners, Aussie Tuners and Rec 'n' Race Vehicles. What if you did a weekly race series race using one of their cars? Or 3 using one from each. I know it would be hard to moderate as people might add different handling settings without your knowing, but generally the tuners get as much speed as is relatively possible out of their cars, just a suggestion.

I had an idea, the Tuning Garages often work hard on tuning cars for people to use in the GT4 forums, that is Mad Finn Tuners, Aussie Tuners and Rec 'n' Race Vehicles. What if you did a weekly race series race using one of their cars? Or 3 using one from each. I know it would be hard to moderate as people might add different handling settings without your knowing, but generally the tuners get as much speed as is relatively possible out of their cars, just a suggestion.

Actually, no. What a tuner suggests is, more often than not, not the fastest. A racer in GT Mode has to adapt the car perfectly to his needs, and his needs aren't always what the tuner needs. At the same time, tuners and racers go different ways - one focuses on making his car handle good, while the racer might prefer the most understeering bitch ever - as long as it works fast.

And unlike GT3, you have absolutely no way to determine setups.

The problem is that the tuners may get as much speed out of their car as is relatively possible, but it often only counts for the guy who created the setup. So except for maybe a few drivers, those setups are 'useless'.
I used to post my setups too back when I raced more often, but most of the times my setup was just too much of a handful for the majority of drivers. We have different levels of drivers here with different driving styles and there's not a single setup that does suit all. Therefore I don't support your suggestion, sorry!

Ofcourse the tuners are welcome to join the WRS and post their setups. I and maybe other WRS'ers wouldn't mind to give their setups a go and give a verdict 👍

I think Jerry posted a thread in the tuning-section a while ago, too, asking why exactly the WRS'ers don't use it.

The resultant answer was simple - if you're going to spend an hour racing, it's more beneficial to find a basic setup and improve your driving, than to spend most of it chasing a perfect setup.

I would like to run these.

Toyota Minolta 88C-V Race Car '89 @ Sarthe Circuit II
Toyota Esso Ultraflo Supra (JGTC) @ George V Paris
Lancia Strato's Rally Car '77 @ Chamonix

Steven != Slippy. He likes his cars sticky.

If it wasn't appallingly similar to Week 75 (Which is a good thing), it'd be perfect. :P

ACK! lol, good catch mate. maybe I should try using the search feature, eh? :ouch:

Jerome

ACK! lol, good catch mate. maybe I should try using the search feature, eh? :ouch:

Jerome

Can't be blamed for remembering my best week ever :P

Still - that understeery musclecar is the perfect thing for street-circuits. Point-and-squirt - and trying to carry momentum through turns is such a lovely challenge.

The WRS completes 5 years of existance on Monday. Shall we have a special race to celebrate? (though I don't know what special might exactly mean, it'd have to be something remarkable)

While working on my gamesave (all a-spec, currently over 70%) i drove the Corvette Grand Sport around a few tracks and really loved its sharpness and sound with race exhaust and on stickerdystick tyres. Around any american track - say Infineon Stock - and doing a multilapper we could have a blast combo!

The WRS completes 5 years of existance on Monday. Shall we have a special race to celebrate? (though I don't know what special might exactly mean, it'd have to be something remarkable)

Already working on it. 👍 :sly:

Another suggestion for the 'box.

Mercedes SL600 R129 '98 in the factory SL Challenge in GT mode @ any of the 3 tracks tho, seeing the WRS history, Apricot Hill would be most likely.

EDITed tuning specs: wr3, oil, default power, S2 tyres, free other tuning specs (around 50 pts.-races). NA upgrades would simplify overtaking a big lot :)

I think we should take a break from arcade race cars. GT mode is always more challenging and I personally consider road cars more enjoyable to race in GT4.

I think we should take a break from arcade race cars. GT mode is always more challenging and I personally consider road cars more enjoyable to race in GT4.

Yep, GT-Mode is overdue and there are plans for one at the ready. For a "challenge", how about GT-Mode, but outlaw the posting of settings in the weekly thread? ;)

I would mind! And I believe others like me who can't tune worth a crap will not like it, either. But with settings available in the thread, I would like a GT-mode combo. Any road car on tires worse than N3s would be interesting, as well.

It would be unwise to ban posting tune settings in GTP threads, as excellent setups are commonly available on the web.
I also think there should be a better balance between arcade and gt mode races in WRS. GT mode races are becoming more and more rare lately, especially compared to, say, the Cyril-era. No offense Jerry!
Yes, I am a GT mode fan :lol:

At the same time, dear Steven, hybrids weren't possible in Cyril's time. Right now, there's nothing that prevents, say, me from lighting my car by 50 extra KG, or adding another few ticks of downforce (even on a wingless car), or adding a suspension more suitable to the conditions. These are, for now, undiscoverable cheats.

I think posting any settings during any WRS combo is only a guide as to what others are using. The faster guys usually run lower top speeds (contradictive I know) and during the only GT mode race I ran ( Ford GT at High Speed Ring) I used other people's settings but could not run as fast as with my settings which were minimal at best. I myself never really changed many settings in any of the GT4 game races. There are other ways to communicate with people other than the weekly race thread. I'm okay with or without posting settings.
I enjoy racing no matter what. :)

Jerry - you can do a "quiet week" again, like the Week 72 Qualifier - locked thread, no splits, setups, or tips. Every man and his MSN :P

At the same time, dear Steven, hybrids weren't possible in Cyril's time. Right now, there's nothing that prevents, say, me from lighting my car by 50 extra KG, or adding another few ticks of downforce (even on a wingless car), or adding a suspension more suitable to the conditions. These are, for now, undiscoverable cheats.

Well can't most of this be found out in a replay? And from what I've seen here in my short time posting/racing, people don't seem all too concerned with winning to where they would go out of their way to cheat.

I think there are enough guides on this site, not to mention cars already tuned with settings posted, for someone to get an idea as to what settings do what though I think limits should be placed either with the amount of money that can be spent or the amount of "accessories" that can be placed on the car.

I'm not a fan of GT-mode because I'm not a tuner. I usually end up fighting with myself and I spend more time worrying about the set-up instead of driving.

Hugo's correct in that it would do me little or no good at all to run his set-up as I'm no where near the driver he is. Likewise I can't drive Bigracer's set-up because my style of driving is different than his. So it ends up being a contest of who finds the best set-up for his style of driving first!

So IMHO it becomes a contest of who's the best tuner rather than who's the best driver for that combo. Something about that level playing field is what keeps me coming back here. Having said that, I've posted my feelings about racing every race more times than I care to repeat. So Jerry, you pick'em I'll run'em but, my level of enthusiasm my be a bit diminished on those "GT-mode" races.

Most of it can't be found out in a replay - only name, power and engine (by sound) can be found, and drive-wheels if wheel-spin is present. Thing is, GT-Mode races are exactly where some people excel - due to the car fitting their style better - and hence, usually-slower drivers can suddenly drive at the top of their division.

I earned my first division win (back in Div3) in a GT-Mode race, Week 71, where I won by a large margin of several seconds (three-lapper). The weekend after, I was very slow - the Week 72 Team-Race Qualifier, for example, saw me dead-last. Other examples include the promotion Kyle and I received in Week 85, where I produced Div2-common times and Kyle impressively won the overall victory again the mighty Hugo.

GT Mode races seem to have far more blurred limits regarding what is, and isn't, possible to achieve with the car - especially when the racer doesn't set new records (formula_seeker is banned, right? ;)) but rather just races a tenth or two above his usual speed...

Great discussion, guys. My 2 cents -

I never ran arcade mode before coming to WRS. Running in arcade mode without aids and without suspension and brake tuning being possible has made me a better driver by forcing me to adjust to the car and track combination, rather than spending my time trying to tune in the car.

I think the occasional GT mode race is needed in order to add to the variety of the combos in WRS. But while I believe at this time the series does not have drivers that are motivated to gain small edges with hybridding, running a higher number of GT mode races could attract those drivers and encourage that behavior, and would be pretty much impossible to prove. This would diminish the integrity of the WRS and make it a less attractive series, IMO.

But I am with RonB and Chuck

You pick em and I run em - Race On!

Kevin

I didn't read thru the 80 pages of this thread.

I had a great but very challenging drive this evening:

Arcade Mode Time Trial
Nurburgring
AC Cobra
Comfort tires
No driving aid
No more power or less weight

You have to be gentle with the steering, the accelerator and the brakes. And dont touch the rumble stripes.

That's a great challenge and I will continue to try being better than 8:52:453 :)

I will only do my challenges with the realistic tires (R1 for cheap cars, R2 for old sport cars, R3 for the others)...

I didn't read thru the 80 pages of this thread.

I had a great but very challenging drive this evening:

Arcade Mode Time Trial
Nurburgring
AC Cobra
Comfort tires
No driving aid
No more power or less weight

You have to be gentle with the steering, the accelerator and the brakes. And dont touch the rumble stripes.

That's a great challenge and I will continue to try being better than 8:52:453 :)

I will only do my challenges with the realistic tires (R1 for cheap cars, R2 for old sport cars, R3 for the others)...

This is a suggestion thread for the WRS, not a challenge thread. :rolleyes:

I therefore suggest you go and do the WRS qualifier if you want to race here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98749

Good luck.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Hyundai Accent Rally Car at any Rally track ( excluding Canyon as its too long ) as it can basically adjust to any dirt track in Arcade mode 👍

It's too bad that we can't do a race at a Fuji 2005 track (no split times), because that's my favorite. But there are a few courses that are hardly ever raced at in the WRS (Suzuka West anyone?), and it would be quite interesting to race at one of those with a rarely-used car, like the RUF Yellow Bird.

Back