Super GT Thread ArchiveTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Appie
  • 1,268 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought we knew this already? Edit: Or was that the Prius?
That was the Prius. The CRZ will have a formal Honda send-off at the end of November.

Also, if you go on the Super GT website right now, I do believe you'll be able to track all the trucks as they're en-route to the track.

Thought we knew this already? Edit: Or was that the Prius?

Apparently, it would be both; from what I remember, Honda was retiring the CR-Z all together and Toyota would cut their factory ties with the Prius... I could be wrong about those reasons, however.

Edit: Never mind, hsv explained it better.

KeePer RCF and (gasp) the apr Prius on pole for both classes.

The apr Prius was 2 seconds ahead of the GAINER TANAX SLS in Q2. Host, pls nerf.

Absolutely great race, packed with excitement. Best race of the year in any series by far. The action was so intense. :D

I was on the edge of my seat waking my folks up watching this. Amazing race.

Yasuda couldn't quite seal the deal the closing laps. He had the car, but not the power. But I'm happy to see Quintarelli win yet another championship, what a legend!

What a cracking race!! I can't get enough of Super GT :D. I really hope this series continues to grow and get international recognition. I love seeing the emotion from the drivers. This championship clearly means a lot to these drivers and teams. Would love to see more international drivers as well....not at the cost of the Japanese guys losing race seats, but by expanding the field.

Quintirelli is a beast! 4 titles in 5 years.

Motegi was an interesting race anyway thanks to the drying track but once the Safety Car bunched the field up we had an absolute cracker of a final 20 laps. Great stuff.

When was it that GT300 stopped being capped at 300hp? Anyone know the season/year?

When was it that GT300 stopped being capped at 300hp? Anyone know the season/year?
It was never capped specifically at that rate. There is no system you can employ other than a dyno to check every car individually and make incremental restrictor adjustments to get them all on identical power - and that just isn't feasible. The Class1 and Class2 nomenclature was dropped in 1996, and cars were intended to be restricted to figures around 500 and 300 horsepower. By around 1998, natural incremental power increases had put them out of that range already. The early '00s saw GT500 cars produce in excess of 600 horsepower, easily.

The restrictors have always been set by comparison to all other cars on the grid, rather than all cars aim to one figure. Natural improvements in technology just leads to incremental increases, and some slight regulation tweaks further increase that rate.

Bo
It was never capped specifically at that rate. There is no system you can employ other than a dyno to check every car individually and make incremental restrictor adjustments to get them all on identical power - and that just isn't feasible. The Class1 and Class2 nomenclature was dropped in 1996, and cars were intended to be restricted to figures around 500 and 300 horsepower. By around 1998, natural incremental power increases had put them out of that range already. The early '00s saw GT500 cars produce in excess of 600 horsepower, easily.

The restrictors have always been set by comparison to all other cars on the grid, rather than all cars aim to one figure. Natural improvements in technology just leads to incremental increases, and some slight regulation tweaks further increase that rate.

Very well, but I was under the impression that sometime recently, when GT3 cars started to become predominant in the class, the JAF-GT300 cars had their reigns let loose even more so.

Very well, but I was under the impression that sometime recently, when GT3 cars started to become predominant in the class, the JAF-GT300 cars had their reigns let loose even more so.
When they started using the Blancpain BoP, definitely. It probably started around the time when the GT1 cars trickled down from GT500 into GT300 and got joined by the GT2 cars.

I don't think they'll exceed the 500 mark at any point though, I think the class will get pegged back as a whole before they get out of hand. The class balance they have currently is the best they have had for a long time, in my opinion.

Years back, I always thought it was a strict horsepower limit. I couldn't get my head around how GT3 cars could be thrown into GT300 and still have the class be balanced. hahaha The McLaren in GT500 bugged me as well.

It's just a set of fancy names in my view. :P GT500 having Japanese supercars, and GT300 being customer GT and home built GT cars. However GT300 has had a Grand-Am Daytona Prototype has it not? I believe a Riley with a different engine than it had originally?

However GT300 has had a Grand-Am Daytona Prototype has it not?
Had, before it got banned for being... prototype-y. I understand why it was banned, and I kind of supported the decision, even though we lost one of the most intriguing cars on the grid.

Bo
Had, before it got banned for being... prototype-y. I understand why it was banned, and I kind of supported the decision, even though we lost one of the most intriguing cars on the grid.
I'm surprised it got in in the first place. :lol:

They're far more strict now that they used to be on entries. It's the same with most series, really. Shame. :indiff:

GT300 is still one of the most interesting classes in sportscar racing and one of the few places you can find a GT3 tire war, even if most of the cars run Yokohama's. I believe the VLN/ADAC 24 is the only other major series that has multiple tires on GT3's.

But I agree that GT300 has lost alot of its character.

On another note, does anyone know what BoP the GT2's ran when they competed?

I'm pretty sure they just got pegged back in line with the JAF cars. The actual "set" BoP only came into effect with the use of Blancpain's, everything else before that was just an exercise in keeping pace level across a multitude of categories. That's why we've seen the pace jump so recently.

Bo
RIP Mooncraft Shiden, you will be forever in our hearts.

Even though we lose the wonderful zany cars in the 300 class, the changed regs should be better for the long term by having a more even field with the 3 different sets of cars in the class.

Or we could've seen Mooncraft enter a LMP3 car in GT300 as the next iteration of the Shiden. :lol:

What Golf? The Golf 24?
Yellow Peril. The reason FWD is banned by the SRO.

golf.png

Some people didn't like their 996 Cup cars and Ferrari 360s being beaten up by a Golf GTI with half the power.

There is something to be said about running International rules for GT cars. Though the variety from Speed World Challenge, to Super GT, to FIA GT, and what not is kind of fun I'd rather see GT1, GT2, GT3, and GT4 rules be taken in Internationally.

GT1 and GT2 would have the exact same rules in Super GT, ALMS, LMS, FIA GT, Int'l GT Open, FFSA GT etc. etc.

GT3 there would be various National cups as well as the Grand-Am GT class and Speed World Challenge GT and FIA GT3 Europe would act as "all-star" races for the best in their Nations.

GT4 could run in Europe as it is slated to and Grand-Am could adopt the same rules as GT4 for their GS category so cars can travel all around the world and have a place to race. Also would allow manufacturers like Porsche to produce cars from the factory that are able to compete across the board without having to force teams to pay for various series specific upgrades on, for example their Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car.

Admittedly that does have its down-sides, for instance the interest from teams like LG Motorsports and such in Speed World Challenge would probably dwindle because it would be harder for them to run their parts on their race cars, which to me is the biggest draw of SWCGT.

m.piedgros
Wish granted.

Though GT1 died and DTM became the sibling.

How is that even possible? :odd:
They had two drivers who really clicked with the car, and it was just a solid all round package. The fans loved it, but the other teams didn't.

It only got banned because the other teams campaigned against its classification as a GT car - as such, the 2-door coupe and RWD/4WD rule came into effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back