Super GT Thread ArchiveTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Appie
  • 1,268 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's largely palatable. I could think of much worse. He's also come on in leaps and bounds since Round 1, the amount of guesswork and factual errors wasn't really acceptable.

I love the RLM coverage, but as someone who writes about Super GT myself, it still sounds like two guys who've Googled the names of the drivers and teams, checked some basic facts and then sat down to say whatever they can about it. It feels really unnatural, and there's simply not enough background knowledge to make everything sound convincing. It works on a casual listening level, but in order to really grab the audience as commentators, you need to sound involved with whatever you're covering - you're the experts that guide the viewers. They sound like they know just as much about it as a relative newcomer, which is probably because they do only know that much - I can't blame them, it's the first time in almost 10 years the championship has got decent English coverage, but technical, strategic and historical insights are nowhere to be seen. It will improve over time no doubt, but sometimes it just makes me cringe, like the example @twitcher referenced.

hsv
He's largely palatable. I could think of much worse. He's also come on in leaps and bounds since Round 1, the amount of guesswork and factual errors wasn't really acceptable.

I love the RLM coverage, but as someone who writes about Super GT myself, it still sounds like two guys who've Googled the names of the drivers and teams, checked some basic facts and then sat down to say whatever they can about it. It feels really unnatural, and there's simply not enough background knowledge to make everything sound convincing. It works on a casual listening level, but in order to really grab the audience as commentators, you need to sound involved with whatever you're covering - you're the experts that guide the viewers. They sound like they know just as much about it as a relative newcomer, which is probably because they do only know that much - I can't blame them, it's the first time in almost 10 years the championship has got decent English coverage, but technical, strategic and historical insights are nowhere to be seen. It will improve over time no doubt, but sometimes it just makes me cringe, like the example @twitcher referenced.

I'm a big fan of John Hindhaugh, but the RLM commentary was as you say, basically just a couple of guys watching the race talking about it, with long pauses before Japanese name pronunciations.

Sam obviously knows some stuff, but every time I'm hear him say "Two fousand and fifteen GT freehundred muvver chassis" I want to break my phone (for some reason I only ever watch SGT on my phone when I'm in bed).

I don't like how his voice stretches high up sometimes. It also doesn't help that it sounds like they're on dollar-store mics.

hsv
He still refers to the MCs all running Nissan engines, I don't know how many times I've had to Tweet him about VivaC running a Toyota V8. :ill:

Die-Sooky Nakajima? :lol:
Dice-Kay, cant believe they get that pronunciation wrong. ;) Fuji was a weird race. Its never 125 degrees track temp. Probably caught out a lot of teams. Notice the winning GTR had no ballast, and ran Yokohama tires. The commentators never once thought to mention that. They did point out the Nismo #23 ran Michelin tires, but didnt say anything regarding that as a reason for their pace later in the stint. I bet that was reason for some tire issues like the Lotus.

I would like to point out that the chances of this being accepted by any LMP1 teams is nearly zilch, because they would not like to get shown up by a GT Prototype that costs about 1/10th of their equipment.

If DTM teams accept next year, they will be given a very real wake-up call.

hsv
I would like to point out that the chances of this being accepted by any LMP1 teams is nearly zilch, because they would not like to get shown up by a GT Prototype that costs about 1/10th of their equipment.

I'm sure that's how it might be perceived, but to me it would show how much LMP's were being strangled by regulations in the name of class equalisation, safety and efficiency.

hsv
If DTM teams accept next year, they will be given a very real wake-up call.

Without performance equalisation it wouldn't be a battle, it simply becomes a multi-class race. Though they are on about 2017 for this race, so it might not be against DTM cars as we know them now.

... also, Fuji is my least favourite Japanese track.

Really? You like Motegi more than Fuji?

Not that I have a problem with that...just find it surprising.

Fuji is dominated by it's straight, I'm less keen on tracks with that characteristic (such as 24 hour circuit used for Le Mans), while Motegi might be largely composed of straights and simple corners, they're at least broken up at regular points throughout the lap, rather than something like Fuji's messy final sector. Add to that the vast expanse of Tarmac run-off too.

I've not watched SuperGT regularly enough to know what makes for good racing though, I'd just rather see them somewhere like Suzuka for a showdown like that.

I can't stand edit: to listen to /edit Sam Collins.
I'm not sure who each RLM announcer is, but the guy at the end of the Fuji race that was ad-libbing the Japanese driver interviews had me rolling on the floor laughing. I thought it was hilarious.

Fuji is dominated by it's straight, I'm less keen on tracks with that characteristic (such as 24 hour circuit used for Le Mans), while Motegi might be largely composed of straights and simple corners, they're at least broken up at regular points throughout the lap, rather than something like Fuji's messy final sector. Add to that the vast expanse of Tarmac run-off too.

I've not watched SuperGT regularly enough to know what makes for good racing though, I'd just rather see them somewhere like Suzuka for a showdown like that.
Fair points.

I find the straight at Fuji leads to interesting racing, as you need to make compromises in the setup. This leads to great battles like the one between the Z4 and SLS in the early stages (with one car dominating the straight and the other dominating the twisty sectors).

I know it catches a lot of flak, but I actually like the Tilke designed final sector of Fuji. It's a fun line with blind apexes and changing radii. First corner, Coca-Cola, 100R and 130R are all pretty fun and challenging at the limit. For me, Motegi doesn't teally have any stand out corners like these.

Just to clarify though, Fuji and Motegi are my bottom two of the premier Japanese tracks...I just think Fuji is the lesser of the two evils :lol:

Suzuka is definitely number one for me, and then Autopolis, Okayama, and Sugo in some order. I've only watched races on those three tracks, as opposed to getting to experience them in GT...but I'm pretty sure I'd like them more than Fuji or Motegi.

So, the WEC has declined - no exceptions will be made for the regulations.

As a Super GT journalist, the reaction to this whole scenario has been intriguing to analyse. It's been overwhelmingly positive - but I don't believe that's a product of the possible race that lay ahead. The fact that Bandoh-san offered a public challenge rather than coming to a private deal adds some kind of mystical, dramatised back-story to an otherwise oddball deal. It's a very rare thing for motorsport in the 21st century. It's almost surreal. It smacks of publicity stunt from a cold, hard analytical view, but it smacks of raw passion in the eyes of a mystified and awestruck racing fan. The end result would be three manufacturers getting some decent marketing exposure, helped by Super GT's rise in popularity, giving something for the Japanese fans to cheer about.

If we pinpoint the second part of that sentence though, we can spin out a world of opportunity - it helps to show off the series, it helps to answer the debate about their pace, it inadvertently encourages the rest of the racing world to cheer on these three cars with the inklings of an underdog story, yet the secrecy and still relatively little knowledge of the series adds yet more mystery - the challenge being the final piece of the puzzle to finish it off. Everything is so perfectly poised. It doesn't particularly matter whether the race goes ahead or not - it got us all talking. It ticked the publicity box, and it did it in the most memorable and awesome way possible.

Let's not pretend GT500 cars haven't run outside of their natural habitat before, or that Fuji hasn't hosted JGTC crossover races before. The proposition itself isn't overwhelmingly cool - the presentation of the proposition is unspeakably so.

SGT is not an international series.

Race me, on my turf, with my rules, you with *your* series restrictions, doesn't sound like a fair fight to me. I'd have liked to have seen it.... hell, invite every series and I'd probably pony up the dollar for a ticket to Japan - but it would have proved nothing yet fuelled so much bragging.

The LMP1s would have the pace advantage with this years cars(last years Toyota was a few seconds faster then the GT500s this year at Fuji in qual), but if it where next year probably not.

GT500s also weight alot more ao they may be worse on tyres (but that would depend on the tyre manufactuer more probably).

Wow.

Stunning race, I don't know quite how or where to start with analysis. Everything just seemed to ebb and flow, unfold and surprise. It was a pretty special event - Toyota's 12th win now brings them past Porsche's record - and it was a special one for James, too. He's had a torrid season in Super Formula, and a very average one in Super GT. A miserable Motegi really put him down, which is incredibly mentally challenging for a driver. This will have reinvigorated him, and it couldn't have come at a better time in all honesty. You could see he was ready to cry.

I must finally make Sam aware that Tsuchiya don't run the Nissan V6, even though he seems completely adamant on it, despite my numerous corrections. His JGTC history seems to be a little lacking too, especially in his reference to the RS.01 when I referred to the GT300 Spider. :dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back