Super GT Thread ArchiveTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Appie
  • 1,268 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Radio Le mans commentary really lets the side down. The Japanese commentary make more sense even if you don't speak a word of japanese!

Sam Collins is semi okay as a co-commentator but Jonny Palmer is not very good at all.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, it's frustrating to sit through sometimes. When it gets quiet, they start having a ramble, and it's painfully evident that both of them (Sam at least has good team and tech knowledge) are guessing as they go along.

A commentary team's job is to guide the viewer. That means they have to be clued up on what's on screen. The fact that they still rely on the same handful of people from the stream comments or Twitter to actually bring some strategy analysis other than stint lengths or general facts is really not great, and it's not how it should work. A commentator will make mistakes, of course - but they even admitted this morning that they're learning as they go along as much as the viewers are. My Twitter activity for a race day now is devoted solely towards Sam and whoever is alongside him, trying to correct all the errors, fill in all the gaps and answer all the questions they shoot out.

I love the atmosphere in the commentary booth. I like the sound of both commentators, they're engaging and extremely friendly. I just feel like I can't fully enjoy the racing anymore. The comments are stuck in some kind of cycle; you get the new people endlessly amused by the Prius, the ones arguing about GT6 or sim racing, people confused about the power output/speed of each class and are given a multitude of different answers by virtually everyone, the ones who gawk at IMPUL/ARTA/Kunimitsu etc because Gran Turismo, the ones throwing insults at each other having been instigated by some troll posts and the ones who are likely both tired and drunk and end up spamming it with random letters, words and ridiculous ideas. That would be fine if it wasn't the only thing the commentators seemingly wanted to flick through to get information.

I might try a new approach at SUGO. There are several people live-Tweeting it already, but I might join in and get some meaningful stuff I can type up at a later date.

From all that I saw, that was one heck of a race. Constant battles all over, and all around great racing. I ended up going to bed around lap 125 or so as it was 4am. I will most likely watch to the finish when the full race is posted.

What was the deal with the Syntiumm Evora? I heard there was some miscommunication that had made them pit while the lane was closed.

It was embarrassing. They could've completely wrapped the race up, but they took the green light on pit exit as a sign that they could stop, even though it clearly came up on the timing and on the live TV feed that the pits were closed. They didn't even need to pit at that exact moment, they could've at least waited - losing a few seconds on worn rubber definitely beats losing nearly a lap because of a penalty.

That was a fun race to watch. For a 6 hour race, there was almost always something exciting going on.

I was kind of excited to see the NSXs doing well in the wet...sad to see them fade.

Every time I watch Super GT, especially the GT500, I always get a kick of watching and rooting for my favorite liveries, like Raybrig, Arta, and Calsonic. There's something to be said for sticking with a theme across decades as opposed to the constant livery changing in every other series.

GT300 was exciting as usual. It's good to see one of the MC cars do well finally. Variety is always good. Question though, how did that Evora go from being a back marker to completely dominating the field? The other MC cars were multiple laps down, way off the pace.

I always like watching for Max Orido and NOB Taniguchi just because I've heard of them before...pretty good day for Max, quite poor for NOB.

Can't wait for Sugo next, I really like watching races from there.

Question though, how did that Evora go from being a back marker to completely dominating the field?
The MC teams don't have big budgets - that's why they run MC cars. Cars Tokai have a lot of experience and backing from LCI, which gave them a bit of a head start, but they put in the work and have made a very potent weapon. The only other MC team to put in such a performance has been Tsuchiya, who have simply clicked well with the package.

hsv
The MC teams don't have big budgets - that's why they run MC cars. Cars Tokai have a lot of experience and backing from LCI, which gave them a bit of a head start, but they put in the work and have made a very potent weapon. The only other MC team to put in such a performance has been Tsuchiya, who have simply clicked well with the package.

Cars Tokai I think found some pace in the package around the Chang weekend, which was evident in a Tire Test that they topped at TI Aida before the Fuji 300km weekend. A big help for them at Suzuka was the third driver. They normally have their Pro driver do Q1 which gets them some decent track position for the start of the race, but since they had the hired gun come in for Suzuka they were able to show the car's potential into Q2 instead of having Takahashi consistently qualify the car 11th. The relative lack of ballast helps too.

What the hell were the race directors thinking when they went back green with half the field on pit road? :odd:

Because safety cars are for safety and if teams leave a pitstop too late then they only have themselves to blame if they get caught short?

Because safety cars are for safety and if teams leave a pitstop too late then they only have themselves to blame if they get caught short?
What? Did you even watch the race? Everyone pitted at the same time, behind the safety car, at the first possible moment when pit lane opened. Due to Sugo's rather tight quarters, and there being 40ish cars on pitlane at the same time, things turned into a cluster 🤬 Pit lane literally turned into a freeway traffic jam. Half the field got stuck and ended up going a lap down while under a safety car period. That should never ever happen. Hell, the whole reason they close and then open pit lane is to prevent some teams gaining an unfair advantage from a safety car period....yet in this race, the race director did he opposite and granted an advantage to teams who had better pit boxes.

This whole situation has absolutely nothing to do with "leaving the stop too late". In the context of the rae we're taking about, that doesn't even make any sense.

In fact, the half dozen cars who did wait one lap longer to pit faired better, as they didn't have to deal with the traffic jam.

That is Sugo for you. My post wasn't about the race, just about the purpose of safety cars in the first place. Anyways, there is no rule that says you have to pit when it happens, it's just, usually, a good idea.

That is Sugo for you. My post wasn't about the race, just about the purpose of safety cars in the first place. Anyways, there is no rule that says you have to pit when it happens, it's just, usually, a good idea.
Safety cars are for safety? Really? Gee thanks for that :lol:

Only watched it once yesterday, but if they'd have left the safety car out some cars would still have gone another lap down a few seconds later, just not as many as were caught behind the red light in the pits, therefore making a decision to keep the SC out longer than necessary, to stop some cars from going a lap down, wouldn't have been fair. I might watch the incident again later and change my mind, but at the moment I'm thinking it was correct application of the rules, just a bad gamble for so many cars to pit at once.

Gotta love Super GT, top 2 almost side by side across the line! Good race, the threat of rain kept it interesting right until the final lap.

Didn't know Couto had lost a son to leukemia, he dedicated his title win to him. Congrats to Couto and the whole Gainer team on the GT300 Championship!

Edit: Best.Trophies.Ever!

Last edited:
Yes, although it's really a top 2 maybe top 3 battle really. Something would have to happen to allow the other 3 a realistic shot.

Although I'm calling it a #37 KeePer win in the race now. They are very good when there's no ballast.

If it's raining though, I think I'd have to lean towards an NSX. Probably Raybrig or Drago Modular. Both have run well in the wet, and it's a short race, which I think helps the NSX too.

I could see Honda pulling out all stops to try to salvage something from this brutal season.

Final Round this weekend for the BEST motor racing series of them all.

Nismo TV will be streaming it but no link as of yet. Bad news? Jonny Palmer and Sam Collins will be commentating. Sam is sort of okay but Jonny is not primary commentator material at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back