Suzuki Jimny (2019)

I see them quite often where I live. I still really want one.

The truly bizarre thing: the old model still sells for incredible amounts, even with high Kms. Like, beat up ones still selling for 10 grand, and destroyed ones going for 5 grand! I genuinely have no clue why. You can find better-kept 3 series BMWs for those prices. Its hilarious!

Still wishing Suzuki would bring this little thing to the states. I could see them being really popular in CA, if nowhere else.
Well, good luck. Car reviewers there would probably complain that it is a bit cramped for their taste. If it was a bit bigger, then it might be more suitable for their own market.

Well, good luck. Car reviewers there would probably complain that it is a bit cramped for their taste. If it was a bit bigger, then it might be more suitable for their own market.
Back in the '80s, we/the USA(when I lived in the states) got the Suzuki Samurai. It was mainly seen in Hawaii, but in The Bronx(where I'm from), plenty of drug dealers had them. Really cheap compared to a Jeep Wrangler. Hardtop option and customisable. They could go off road and really agile in city traffic. :sly:

Back in the '80s, we/the USA(when I lived in the states) got the Suzuki Samurai. It was mainly seen in Hawaii, but in The Bronx(where I'm from), plenty of drug dealers had them. Really cheap compared to a Jeep Wrangler. Hardtop option and customisable. They could go off road and really agile in city traffic. :sly:
Yeah. No doubt it's a great off-roader for something so small but the others were also small during those times.

Now, they've grown and became bigger so that's why I said that earlier. However, the Jimny stays to its true roots which is amazing and more ideal for other markets outside the US. :)

Yeah. No doubt it's a great off-roader for something so small but the others were also small during those times.

Now, they've grown and became bigger so that's why I said that earlier. However, the Jimny stays to its true roots which is amazing and more ideal for other markets outside the US. :)
For sure. Ironic that people in the USA are importing Kei cars though. Minute market, but ironic.

https://www.motoring.com.au/suzuki-jimny-ute-arrives-in-nz-123378/
How do those kids say it today? O M G!

jimny-ute-6.jpg
jimny-ute-1.jpg
jimny-ute-5.jpg

Suzuki New Zealand has taken Jimny pick-up matters into it own hands, chopping up the baby 4X4 and turning it into a tray-back.

random=80699565

Suzuki Australia’s general manager, Michael Pachota, saying the factory in Japan is open to the idea of adding a ute version to the Jimny range.

“I am pushing for the development for a ute-back Jimny in Australia,” the general manager of Suzuki Automotive Australia, Michael Pachota, told carsales at the Jimny national launch near Melbourne.

“Australian consumers can’t wait to get their hands on a ute version, so I’m pushing very hard with the factory to try and get that into Australia,” he explained.

Suzuki is currently selling the JX Jimny ute in New Zealand for $NZ37,990 ($A37,590).

https://www.motoring.com.au/cheaper-suzuki-jimny-lite-confirmed-for-oz-130551/
A more basic, paired-back and manual-only version of the popular Suzuki Jimny, dubbed Jimny Lite and designed to alleviate waiting lists of up to a year for the compact 4×4 icon, will arrive Down Under in August.

Pricing has not been announced for the new Suzuki Jimny Lite but it will be positioned below the current model’s starting price of $28,490 plus on-road costs – and several features will be trimmed to reach the lower price point.

The new Suzuki Jimny model swaps out alloy wheels for 15-inch steel wheels, comes with black plastic side mirror covers and halogen headlights, and does away with fog lights and a touch-screen infotainment system.

suzuki-jimny-lite-686475.jpg

It may be worth noting that it is a terrible, terrible road car (better than the old one, but so is being fired at your destination from a trebuchet), but also that the entire first year UK allocation* sold out before I did the launch in February and the waiting list is over a year. Probably means used prices are way over list price too.

*1,300 cars; it's huge in Japan because the non-Sierra body meets Kei regs, so supply elsewhere is restricted. It's also terrible for emissions [and thus fuel economy] so Suzuki can't sell many in Europe or it'll blow its fleet CO2 averages.
I'm very late to the party but my girlfriend (now fiancé) got one of these last year. It truly is a cool car, but something about the steering feels so insufferable and cheap to drive around town. I didn't enjoy it until getting more into its element on winding, rugged country roads (there's a point here where roads in rural areas aren't quite roads) because that tall little thing can drive over anything, but even then, i've driven cars from the 90's with better steering. It also blows about in the wind on the highway, not a fan.

Why does this look like a FFB motor? What is this :lol:
That's a Jeep Wrangler's steering box, the same type used on other front solid-axle vehicles. That's the source of the miserable steering.

This is the best video I can find to explain the system. There's a ton of slop at all joints in a steering box and pitman arm system but this is how the whole thing works. It's the same system used on semi trucks and tractors lol.

That's a Jeep Wrangler's steering box, the same type used on other front solid-axle vehicles. That's the source of the miserable steering.

This is the best video I can find to explain the system. There's a ton of slop at all joints in a steering box and pitman arm system but this is how the whole thing works. It's the same system used on semi trucks and tractors lol.

I think there's also a lot of inherent slop in recirculating ball steering...even when brand new.

1678219532753.jpeg

1678219591054.jpeg

Jimny Heritage features​

• Classic 5-speed manual transmission only
  • Jimny Heritage cargo tray
  • Red front mud flaps
  • Exclusive Heritage Pack
  • Red rear mud flaps with Suzuki embossing
  • Available in four colours – White, Jungle Green, Medium Grey and Bluish Black Pearl (sold out)
  • Heritage decals
2023 Suzuki Jimny pricing*:

Lite$26,990
Lite (a)$28,490
GLX$28,490
GLX (a)$29,990
Heritage$33,490New variant

*Pricing excludes on-road costs.

Last edited:
Back