Switching from a controller to wheel!

• Thread starter Ascendancy
  • 100 comments
What you haven’t answered why when that car That is dancing around in front of you why is it so difficult to pass him going down a straightaway .
That's nothing to do with a fault with the game, it happens in pretty much all realtime multiplayer games when the internet connection is very poor. It's an unavoidable consequence of the way information is passed across the internet when the connection is poor or congested. It also makes no difference what input method is being used. If the connection is giving this sort of trouble, the other driver can be the smoothest driver in GTS and their car will still jump all over the track on your screen.

The next thing if you are going into a turn first and the driver behind dive in on the inside and make contact with your car And you are the only one severing a penalty on the way out.
That is a fault with the way the penalty system works. It's hard to be sure, but it seems that when two cars make contact hard enough for a penalty to be awarded the penalty is given to the car that gains speed.

To me it looks likes the scale of fault maybe influenced By DriverRating
It is. At least in some cases, higher DR drivers get bigger penalties for the same type of incident. I does not distinguish between conroller and wheel.

You can call me crazy but I know my connections all have been updated and are Good
The jittery behaviour is dependant on the entire route between you and the other player being good. You can have the best connection in the world and it will make no difference if the other player or some point between them and you has a fault or is heavily congested.
It's fairly easy to tell if the fault is with your connection or somewhere else in the data path. If it's your connection, every car in the race will appear jittery to you. If it's only one or a small number of other cars, the fault is somewhere else in the internet.

Last edited:
Maybe the flag system should have more merit when someone is doing the connection dance. Give him a blue flag so he know he has a problem and he has become a penalty magnets, do a black flag if he take someone out.

PD know’s what kind and make of the controller used in every race because its part of the setup . They also know how good your connection is before each race. PD Need to address the Problem or at lease give us a good flag system that’s works so divers in a online race can make adjustments to their driving. In the Sport of online racing bad behavior should not be rewarded that’s for driving or using bad connections.

Last edited:
There's only so much you can offload on to PD. Both in this game and in real racing, at some point the driver has to make adjustments to account for differences in skill level, mechanical faults (internet glitches) in other cars and / or changes in track condition.

The setup system might be able to tell if a driver is using a wheel, but I've seen no evidence that it can tell the difference between a genuine DS4, a high end high performance aftermarket gaming controller with improved control resolution, a cheap aftermarket ripoff with unpredictable axis response or any of the above (including a wheel) that's malfunctioning and intefering with the driver's ability to control the car.

While PD can tell the state of a driver's connection at the start of the race, they cannot predict how that connection might deteriorate or improve as the race progresses. I've had to quit a couple of races in the past (or been disconnected) because it has started raining and the cable to my house leaks. At race start, perfect connection. Three laps in, disaster. There are numerous other issues that can arise (or dissipate) suddenly with dramatic effects on the connection quality.

And how many drivers obey or even understand the flags we already have. Adding additional flag rules would not make much difference.

While there are some good ideas, in the long run we as drivers have to take some responsibility for avoiding issues that occur during a race and not rely on someone else to take care of everything that happens around us. Unless we want to run all races rally style (staggered starts, timed stages) or time trial style, we have to accept that racing incidents occur and learn to anticipate potential problems and develop strategies to deal with them when they arise. The same is true in real circuit racing. We may not be happy about them, but the nature of racing is such that we have to accept they will happen and learn to deal with them.

Last edited:
Is the idea of a wheel making you better just a meme?
Depends on the driver. For someone with poor motor control and not much console gaming experience, but years of experience with a wheel in the real world, it might make a huge difference. If you are @GOTMAXPOWER it may actually be a handicap, he drives controller in chase view and is one of the fastest and smoothest drivers I've raced (and he's not the only controller driver at that level by a long way).

Is the idea of a wheel making you better just a meme?

It isn't 'just' a meme, but it varies from person to person. Some people have tried it, and will agree. Some people have tried it and will disagree... and then, there's some people that haven't tried it, but have an opinion anyway... the last group should probably be ignored.... and I say that as someone who used to fall into that group once upon a time.

It isn't 'just' a meme, but it varies from person to person. Some people have tried it, and will agree. Some people have tried it and will disagree... and then, there's some people that haven't tried it, but have an opinion anyway... the last group should probably be ignored.... and I say that as someone who used to fall into that group once upon a time.
I'm a little the opposite. I refused to do sim racing until I had a wheel. Then it broke and I couldn't afford to replace it... but I couldn't give up racing. I learned to drive on a controller, spent months before I considered my driving standard to be acceptable for multiplayer racing. I was wrong, so spent more time developing racecraft.

Now I'm back on a wheel. Still not quite as fast or consistent as I was on controller but appreciating how much more potential for fine control is available on the wheel. On the other hand I'm slightly missing the controller's ability to respond extremely rapidly to changing situations on the track. I'm looking forward to a slight slow decline in DR during the learning curve, but expect that my SR record will remain largely unchanged.

Last edited:
I don’t know how much real driving on a real track with real competition any one has In sim online racing . the one thing I can say is there is a lot of good driving In most of the races I entered , a few out there saw only my tail lights but Most of the time I saw theirs. The one thing without any BS a Wheel setup makes a game a simulator, that’s 15 years of real racing saying that , no tech nerd.

Last edited:
So, since I got my T-GT last November, I've not played GT with the controller. This was not my first wheel, I had a T500RS for a year with GT6, and a crappy Dual Force Pro 2 for GT2 for a bit, other than that, I've been playing GT since day one with a controller.

Decided to pick a car and track combo I'm relatively familiar with. Ran 10 laps with the wheel, then 10 laps with the controller.

Dual Shock 4 Fastest Lap: 95.270s
T-GT Fastest Lap: 96.442s (+1.172s)

Dual Shock 4 optimum Lap: 94.275s
T-GT optimum Lap: 95.636s (+0.911s)

S1 st. Dev. DS: 0.214s
S1 st. Dev. TGT: 0.475s

S2 st. Dev. DS: 0.180s
S2 st. Dev. TGT: 0.312s

S3 st. Dev. DS: 0.307s
S3 st. Dev. TGT: 4.134s

S4 st. Dev. DS: 0.383s
S4 st. Dev. TGT: 3.898s

Lap st. Dev. DS: 0.568s
Lap st. Dev. DS: 5.049s

S1 Fastest time: DS
S2 Fastest time: DS
S3 Fastest time: DS
S4 Fastest time: DS
Lap Fastest time: DS
Most consistent: DS

I'm surprised the wheel is that much slower to be honest, I know I was less consistent, but I thought the pace would be more similar.

I still will only play with the T-GT, it's just a more enjoyable experience.

(though, now I see for myself what the difference is, I might give the DS a go with the Lewis Hamilton challenges.. might improve on Silver!)

There's only so much you can offload on to PD. Both in this game and in real racing, at some point the driver has to make adjustments to account for differences in skill level, mechanical faults (internet glitches) in other cars and / or changes in track condition.

The setup system might be able to tell if a driver is using a wheel, but I've seen no evidence that it can tell the difference between a genuine DS4, a high end high performance aftermarket gaming controller with improved control resolution, a cheap aftermarket ripoff with unpredictable axis response or any of the above (including a wheel) that's malfunctioning and intefering with the driver's ability to control the car.

While PD can tell the state of a driver's connection at the start of the race, they cannot predict how that connection might deteriorate or improve as the race progresses. I've had to quit a couple of races in the past (or been disconnected) because it has started raining and the cable to my house leaks. At race start, perfect connection. Three laps in, disaster. There are numerous other issues that can arise (or dissipate) suddenly with dramatic effects on the connection quality.

And how many drivers obey or even understand the flags we already have. Adding additional flag rules would not make much difference.

While there are some good ideas, in the long run we as drivers have to take some responsibility for avoiding issues that occur during a race and not rely on someone else to take care of everything that happens around us. Unless we want to run all races rally style (staggered starts, timed stages) or time trial style, we have to accept that racing incidents occur and learn to anticipate potential problems and develop strategies to deal with them when they arise. The same is true in real circuit racing. We may not be happy about them, but the nature of racing is such that we have to accept they will happen and learn to deal with them.

Back