synchromesh's 1983 DeLorean DMC-12

United States
Weirs Beach, NH
RS73private
10 years ago my Dad bought a DeLorean from a museum that didn't want it. Seriously. He got it for $15,000 with 1500 miles and got it serviced from Delorean themselves. It's now mine and I cherish it. She has 6,000 miles on her and lots of life left. She has won awards and the hearts of many people freaking out that their dream car is in front of them. The naturally aspirated V6 is plenty, and the Lotus suspension is great. It makes a nice noise! I love it, I am so thankful to have such an important piece of history in the garage.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I'll add more photos when I can.

It is indeed a treasure to be kept and to take good care of...

It's always great to see someone keeping safe some of the great car history icons... 👍

That's awesome. I imagine one in that condition is worth a fair amount more than $15,000 today...

What if I told you that I know where there's a Delorean that's been sitting in a dealership lot since it closed down and is still brand new? It's still sitting there, although it's a Ford dealership now. I have a picture of it somewhere.

You lucky guy :bowdown: Do you feel embarrassed when using the gull-wing doors, or does it just feel normal?
If I had an SLS, I would be embarrassed and feel like a showoff. But everyone knows it's a DeLorean, even non-car people know it as a 'time machine', so it doesn't look like some overly rich car, so people love it, it feels cool, actually. not much when crowds of people surround you complimenting your car, asking where the 'flux capacitor is', or "take me back to 1987!". I feel more embarrassed getting out of the SL550 more than the DeLorean.

NO WAAAAY :0

That is incredibly clean! If I had a car like that I'd be out looking for photo locations all the time. Congrats dude, incredibly cool and fun car to own.

How rare are parts for these?

New DMC still do parts support and mostly it's not too bad. If you needed body repairs though... ouch :)

I understand ones sold in the US are better though; the QA departments Stateside solved a lot of problems caused by the peculiar way the UK factory was set up.

@Lister_Storm... beautiful car :D

How rare are parts for these?
@TenEightyOne is right, we order a lot of parts from DMC, finding parts isn't a problem, but the price may be. DMC doesn't use new parts, they have some but most are original from the factory. This creates the weird situation where a (original) right wing will cost $950 and a left wing will cost $3,500. It's the way their stock works out.

That is one of my dream cars, and as the rest of these people have said, I'm glad to see it with someone who loves it. I've also only seen one up close and it was almost as clean as yours, which looks pristine by the way, but not quite...

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the date of the last reply...

That is one of my dream cars, and as the rest of these people have said, I'm glad to see it with someone who loves it. I've also only seen one up close and it was almost as clean as yours, which looks pristine by the way, but not quite...

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the date of the last reply...
Thanks! :)

Back