Syntax's Gallery - Updated 09/08/2011 some boring couples shots... no cars here :(

I agree with Longbow regarding the second image though, something in it is distracting me but I have no idea what.

The plate maybe?

Anyway, fantastic shots Achilles. My favorite has to be the last, great color, lighting, and reflection in the water. The first shot has great light and composition too. I agree with everybody else about the second shot though, I'm not quite sure what's wrong with it though.

Last one = OOOOOOOOFFFT

I don't care about the subject being in the centre.

👍

:lol: Thanks dude.

I agree, the third one is head-explodingly good. And the first is right up there with it (covered with brains). Like the reflection on the headlight, and of course the lighting on the hood.

The second seems a tad busy to me, though - even if the roof/ceiling wasn't in the shot.

What a sickly awesome set, bravo.

lol that's the first time I've heard someone describe one of my shots haha thanks.

Yeah the close up of the plate shot was more so for my friend, I didn't put as much thought or effort into it as the other shots.

The last one has to be my favourite. Nice exposure and lighting. The car is also very clean and sharp and the angle is good, too. Keep it up, buddy! 👍

Thanks Nenad 👍 Definitely hope to do more shots like this, just need to rope in more people willing to do photo shoots with their cars.

Wow, the lighting on the last is phenomenal, I dig the reflection of the car so much 👍

I agree with Longbow regarding the second image though, something in it is distracting me but I have no idea what.

Thanks dude. I have to admit a fair bit of post production went into getting the light to look like that.

The plate maybe?

Anyway, fantastic shots Achilles. My favorite has to be the last, great color, lighting, and reflection in the water. The first shot has great light and composition too. I agree with everybody else about the second shot though, I'm not quite sure what's wrong with it though.

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm not that fond of the shot with the plate either. I appreciate the feedback 👍

I've added a bit of an image build-up to give everyone an idea on how I got the image to look the way it did. A fair bit of post production went into it, mostly it is burn and dodge techniques but in layers. There are about 20-30 layers but I only included 5 in the shot below as they are the major ones.

4345940112_afd017c582_o.jpg

Last edited:
I've added a bit of an image build-up to give everyone an idea on how I got the image to look the way it did. A fair bit of post production went into it, mostly it is burn and dodge techniques but in layers. There are about 20-30 layers but I only included 5 in the shot below as they are the major ones.

Wow, I should really start getting into post production more, most of my images only have the levels and colour adjusted.

That is very impressive work. And I thank you for sharing your process with us, because...well I at least, find it very useful for learning (because I know so very little). Really remarkable.

One thing I would like to see, is the visible hood from steps 1-2 put in to the final product, as I kind of like it visible. Or...at least to see what it would look like visible as I don't know how that'd look (except of course, mentally). Just curious.

I feel really bad for whining all the time now, still. I know you'll probably say it's okay (because you're a nice guy :dopey:) but I'll have you know it makes me uncomfortable to do so.

Wow, I should really start getting into post production more, most of my images only have the levels and colour adjusted.

Generally, that's pretty much all I do as well for majority of my track shooting. Possibly some cloning out of imperfections but really just some level, sharpening and colour adjusting. With these ones though, I saw some real potential to make the shots pop, so I put in the extra effort.

That is very impressive work. And I thank you for sharing your process with us, because...well I at least, find it very useful for learning (because I know so very little). Really remarkable.

One thing I would like to see, is the visible hood from steps 1-2 put in to the final product, as I kind of like it visible. Or...at least to see what it would look like visible as I don't know how that'd look (except of course, mentally). Just curious.

I feel really bad for whining all the time now, still. I know you'll probably say it's okay (because you're a nice guy :dopey:) but I'll have you know it makes me uncomfortable to do so.

Haha there you go again :lol: I really do appreciate the feedback, I'm still only learning all this stuff as well. I've mostly just been studying shots in magazines and then playing around with the photos to see if I can get similarly dramatic results by only working on portions of the shot at a time. later tonight I will definitely check out how it would look with the bonnet from a few steps back.

As I said, I'm making this up as I go and I'm experimenting different techniques and processes so keep the ideas and suggestions flowing as it's all part of the learning process for me as well.

Haha there you go again :lol: I really do appreciate the feedback, I'm still only learning all this stuff as well. I've mostly just been studying shots in magazines and then playing around with the photos to see if I can get similarly dramatic results by only working on portions of the shot at a time. later tonight I will definitely check out how it would look with the bonnet from a few steps back.

As I said, I'm making this up as I go and I'm experimenting different techniques and processes so keep the ideas and suggestions flowing as it's all part of the learning process for me as well.

It's what I do. :guilty:

I should do that more. I haven't done anything very ambitious in a while. Nothing that involved too many layers, anyway. I actually use magazines for the GT4 photo competitions - looking for some inspiration instead of just going in there blind.

Well, I guess I will look forward to seeing it with hood - if you think it looks good, that is. It was just an idea.

....Alright. I suppose I'll try, sometimes. But you know much more than me, so they will be few a far between methinks.

Hello from track side at Bathurst 12 hour.... well from the media room. Before any of you start feeling jealous, don't. It pretty much hasn't stopped raining. I'm cold, I'm wet, hungry and tired.

I've got a little time to spare cause a sizable tree has fallen onto the track and halting the race, so I thought I'd hop on to GTP while I wait and post a shot.

The EVO's have been dominating the race:
4355331674_d86a5b5aed_o.jpg

Eric Bana in the pit watching his team mate on the screen.
4354603123_2430e1805f_o.jpg

The race is about 6 hours in now, so more shots to come later. I think I might go get a coffee and try and dry my shoes with the hand dryers in the bathroom :lol:

Love these, the Mitusbishi one really interests me wish I had the guts to try some corner panning. 👍 Hopefully I'll get a chance this year, I'm already eyeing up events to go off to :D The colours on the shots are really vivid. Really impressive shots so far, can't wait to see some more!

I'm going to say it still sounds much better than where I was. At least being cold, tired, wet and hungry is memorable... Though I still feel bad that you have to experience them.

I appreciate that you took the time to update us too, that is very kind.

I very much like the action in your shots like the Evo one, I haven't been bold enough to try that yet - but I will next time. You do it fantastically.

Like the composition with the pipes and such in the second. Though I expect nothing less from you.

Love these, the Mitusbishi one really interests me wish I had the guts to try some corner panning. 👍 Hopefully I'll get a chance this year, I'm already eyeing up events to go off to :D The colours on the shots are really vivid. Really impressive shots so far, can't wait to see some more!

Cool 👍 Looking forward to seeing some more track shots from you dude.

I'm going to say it still sounds much better than where I was. At least being cold, tired, wet and hungry is memorable... Though I still feel bad that you have to experience them.

I appreciate that you took the time to update us too, that is very kind.

I very much like the action in your shots like the Evo one, I haven't been bold enough to try that yet - but I will next time. You do it fantastically.

Like the composition with the pipes and such in the second. Though I expect nothing less from you.

Thanks mate. I was pretty sure there would be about a billion photos of Eric Bana taken that day so I thought I'd go for a shot that says racing, so I lined him up between the refueling pipes.

Impressive shots, indeed. Can't wait for more. 👍

Cheers dude. Don't have to wait much longer.

Here are a few more:

The Safe-T-Stop Clio with dark clouds looming
4359896369_c6efbd28c7_o.jpg

Supabarn Evo9 heading down from the top of the mountain
4359896837_a6852a59cb_o.jpg

TMR Australia EvoX in the Esses
4359897373_e9b330a9e7_o.jpg

Jeremy Gray's FPV being refueled
4360640534_993a039d7a_o.jpg

James Moffat leading a pack through McPhillamy Park
4360639164_be835e3f7c_o.jpg

Race winner Paul Morris heading down through Forrest Elbow
4359897733_227eb591a8_o.jpg

Bana scaling the mountain heading into Griffins bend.
4359898725_1df121b4b4_o.jpg

All of the above are amazing, but the one that stands out the most for me is the Supabarn Evo, brilliant composition and the lighting is so damn perfect!

Awesomeness.

I agree on the Supabarn Evo, a very intense looking shot. I also like the first of the Clio, as I like how distant it is - gives it great ambiance.

Others are wicked as well, the BMW, Ford...all so, so very good.

They are awesome my friend!

Thanks mate.

All of the above are amazing, but the one that stands out the most for me is the Supabarn Evo, brilliant composition and the lighting is so damn perfect!

Cheers dude. It's probably more subtle than the rest of my shots but it's one of my favorites as well.

Oh, oh, oh, these are even better! :drool: Well composed and overall great quality! 👍

Thank you good sir.

Awesomeness.

I agree on the Supabarn Evo, a very intense looking shot. I also like the first of the Clio, as I like how distant it is - gives it great ambiance.

Others are wicked as well, the BMW, Ford...all so, so very good.

Hehe Cheers Chris. I got a bit lucky with the Clio shot to get some stronger light peering a little through the clouds right onto the track for all of a few seconds which was just enough time to take the shot.

For anyone interested the full set is here on flickr.

Wow, these are really nice. As other have said the Supa Barn shot is superb, I love the way car is presented in the photo. But I think some of your other great shots are to be found in the full set rather than this update, I find some of your pit shots, or more abstract track shots often more interesting than the actually shots concentrating on the cars. Shots in the full set like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21859683@N03/4361405979/ are really nice, even if it is a little bit soft due to the rain. Also, I really like this shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21859683@N03/4362148004/ I mean really like it, it's beautifully executed. There are tonnes more shots from the full set that I really like, as you can probably tell seeming I've favourites a tonne of them on Flickr. Great work 👍

Thanks Adam, I appreciate that you took the time to look at the full set. I find it hard to pick which shots to post up in the thread as I don't want to kill everyone’s internetz :lol:

The ones you pointed out I personally like as well. Particularly the WRX one, it really shows how heavy the rain was. I was a little fearful for my cameras in the rain but after I slipped down the side of a hill on my ass up near Griffins bend and ended up with my gear covered in mud, I was kind of happy that the rain was cleaning my gear a little :lol:

Haha no probelm, I enjoy looking at full sets most the time 👍 I can imagine about being worried for the camera in the rain, I'm never sure how waterproof these things are and I am always quite cautious when using the camera in rain (not that I've done it very often).

They couldn't have gone any faster than the rented Tarago we took up there. :P

Great set mate, I can see the rain was limiting to the colours (and the dawn and dusk shots that I was bracing to turn green from) but even so the set tells a great story.

Looked through the whole set and there's some ace ones on there that need more coverage. Namely a few from the top of the mountain, and that portrait of the red STI in the pits.

Great job once again. 👍

Haha no probelm, I enjoy looking at full sets most the time 👍 I can imagine about being worried for the camera in the rain, I'm never sure how waterproof these things are and I am always quite cautious when using the camera in rain (not that I've done it very often).

You and me both. I have always in the past ducked for cover even at the slightest droplet of water. Although this time round my thinking was that if I don’t get this right, it might be my last outing to an event this big. The camera gear seems a little more water resistant than I originally expected. The 1D did a superb job and I did not have a second thought about it in the rain due to the weather sealing. I left the 5D at home and opted for the 20D for two reasons, the first being that if I wreck it, it’s the cheaper of the two, the second being the cropped sensor with the 500mm on it gave me nice tight shots that I might want. I was surprised at how well it held up actually.

They couldn't have gone any faster than the rented Tarago we took up there. :P

You would have lapped them walking around the circuit……at the time when the tree fell down :lol:

Great set mate, I can see the rain was limiting to the colours (and the dawn and dusk shots that I was bracing to turn green from) but even so the set tells a great story.

Yeah I was pretty bummed out when I got there and it was dark with clouds visible in all directions. Also the race finished well before sunset (not that it mattered, there was far too much cloud cover). I will definitely be going back next year and probably for all three days next time.

Looked through the whole set and there's some ace ones on there that need more coverage. Namely a few from the top of the mountain, and that portrait of the red STI in the pits.

Great job once again. 👍

Cheers dude. Funnily enough I received an email from that WRX team last night, they have seen my photos and would like to use them.

Well I was out at Round 1 of the Shannon's Nationals at Wakefield Park raceway. The Shannon's Nationals is made up of a few different series that are lumped together to make it a spectator friendly day. To tell you the truth, it was actually pretty non eventful and even though Wakefield is spectator friendly (offering a great view of the entire circuit from pretty much anywhere, it is terribly boring to shoot :lol: Not happy with any of the shots really from the day, a fair few shots got a run in the media but overall I think for the most part I was simply bored.... I guess that can happen after all the excitement of Bathurst :lol:

Formula 3 series:
4423900849_11e4109de5_o.jpg

4424665580_de1d9e090e_o.jpg

4423900657_0b8b44c77a_o.jpg

Commodore Cup:
4423900385_8dea79fcc8_o.jpg

4424665320_583c69580b_o.jpg

4423901171_160e73f69d_o.jpg

Kerrick Cup (I'll post some more from this series later as well, they had some very cool cars)
4423901083_5e75f1c6a3_o.jpg

MX5 Cup... lol just like Gran Turismo :lol:
4424665826_647784020d_o.jpg

4424665418_b14ca0d486_o.jpg

That last MX5 is amazing! Someone needs to do that on a street car......with wantanabes......and an enthusiastic engine. :D

As for the shots, on par as always. 👍

I like the latest set. All pictures show a lot of action (blurred backgrounds), but the cars are still looking clean and sharp. This is what I always like about your shots. Can't wait for more shots from the Kerrick Cup, showing off more (and like you say, very cool :P) cars. 👍

Heh. Bored! At a racing event! Geez. :P

Faves are 3,4,5,8 and 9. Special mention to 9 because that is mind-blowing. I want to try more close-ups if I have the chance this year. Though I forget how fast those ALMS cars are every year (....this was easier when I was just thinking about it...). And sweet angles as always.

Compared to your Bathurst Photos the main difference for me is composition. You seemed to have played it safe a little with this shoot but I understand that the surrounds don't allow for wider shots. It looks like it was overcast too?

Brilliant panning as usual! 👍

Back