**TAKE NOTICE** - Stop posting HUGE photos!

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 96 comments
England
Liverpool
leeislee
I said this before and no one took any notice:

There is no need to post stupidly huge photos. When you post (those who don't get it) could you post a normal size picture and then link it to the large version.

It gets annoying when members on here post 50 pictures per post and they're all huge. There is no need for it. It just makes navigating these galleries annoying as you scroll down only to be bumped up to newly loaded huge photos.

I bet i'm not the only one who finds it annoying. so to any members who do it, especially the new ones, you're all very welcome here but i for one tend not to look at galleries that are annoyingly slow and awkward.

Also, think of those who use mobile phones or tablets...not everyone has super fast broadband, have some sense.

I have spoken

Last edited:
What do you mean by huge photos? do you mean the regular old this:

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_2.jpg

or the maximum upload from flickr?

I'd say a good size for everyone is no more than 800px at the largest. Something the size you posted is just unnecessary.

A page containing 30 or 40 of that size picture will cripple a lot of peoples enjoyment of this forum.

This is what 800 pixels looks like:

Faster to load, you can still see it for what it is and it wont annoy the hell out of people. AND when you click on it, it leads you to the full version which can be as large as anyone wants on Flickr...(even though i still keep my uploads small)

I think @leeislee is mostly referring to those that directly embed their image files in the post. This means that instead of a 800x450 or 640x320 preview, the browser have to load the whole file - which often is 1-2mb, or more. Multiply that by 50 or so, and the browser is basically treading syrup.

I myself never go over 640x320 when posting images here, and if I have a large set I use a 1-2 system of one 640x320 followed by two 320x180 side by side underneath. This makes for faster loading and a more organized and appealing appearance of the post, which again might make more people look at what I've posted.

I'd say a good size for everyone is no more than 800px at the largest. Something the size you posted is just unnecessary.

A page containing 30 or 40 of that size picture will cripple a lot of peoples enjoyment of this forum.

This is what 800 pixels looks like:

Faster to load, you can still see it for what it is and it wont annoy the hell out of people. AND when you click on it, it leads you to the full version which can be as large as anyone wants on Flickr...(even though i still keep my uploads small)
Ok. I see what you mean, but GT6 default picture size is the size i posted, and GTP posts it in either max size or tiny. the solution then, is for everyone to get on an image hosting website, so that they can tailor how big their picture is. The problem now is, not everyone is going to bother to do that... :indiff:

Hilarious picture by the way! I find it funny because of the amount of effort you seemingly put in to a picture of that silly little thing. :lol: I really admire your work lee!

If people could just post their images in spoiler tags, that would help mobile uses (Like me). Whenever I go the RUF thread, it takes a very long time for the page to load, then I have to scroll all the way down to the newest post. I want the choice of displaying the images I have not seen, and hiding the images I have already seen.

GT6 saves large pictures but that doesn't mean they need to be uploaded that size. By using Flickr or other sites you get lots of tools to play with, you'll get more views and you will help keep GTP a smooth place to be.

The amount of threads or galleries i have backed out of while waiting for 35 pictures of the same cars drifting the same corner is alarming.

I'm afraid to say it's ruining this site. I don't even bother looking on my phone anymore.

Give it a day or two and this thread will be hidden amongst the usual stuff and no one will even think about the size of their pictures.

GT6 saves large pictures but that doesn't mean they need to be uploaded that size. By using Flickr or other sites you get lots of tools to play with, you'll get more views and you will help keep GTP a smooth place to be.

The amount of threads or galleries i have backed out of while waiting for 35 pictures of the same cars drifting the corner is alarming.

I'm afraid to say it's ruining this site. I don't even bother looking on my phone anymore.

I know the feeling. I've lost track of how many times my attempts at pressing the like button on a post has been faulted by being sent almost to the top of the page due to images still loading.

I find it annoying when people upload pictures to Flickr. When I click on an image, I want it to expand to full size here, not take me to a new page.

I guess this depends on preferences. I find it annoying when the picture is blown up to a degree where it doesn't fit on the screen and it all just becomes a cluttered mess (in my opinion). I'm also used to having several windows open when I'm browsing, so one more isn't a problem for me.

I have to agree that too many big pics can be tiresome to load, I have given up going to this web site through the PS3 browser... always crashes ... (well that and pretty much any site at any given moment)
Personally I was guilty of posting full size pics, it's just so easy to do it... click upload file and voila, full pic for all to see. Would be nice to have size options for the thumbnails (or make the thumbnails all 500 pixels?) Don't know if that would help any, just my 2 cents worth.
I have since started posting through a flickr account to try and do my part...now to organize flickr...:banghead:

I always move mine (after editing) from the original 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 and then save it as a low quality jpeg, which puts almost every image of mine I post (I don't use flickr) to around 100-400 (max) KBs.

The picture still looks the same as high quality, it is still a large viewing size, the file just isn't the size of the moon.

Now, I should probably go in and change my earlier pictures to that; I think at one time we were all guilty of posting pictures too big, but this is an easy, quick process that could really save a lot more people's time than just the uploaders.

I'm with you leeislee. Perhaps a mandatory "no bigger than" for every photo-thread, new or old.

I too would have to agree with Lee on this subject.

The problem is that large pictures take too long to load on a mobile, and especially when the page has nearly the maximum amount of posts.

I always post mine in a maximum of 500px, plus this helps when entering the comps too!

Just to say I also agree with Lee. Even with a fast connexion sometimes it takes long time to load a full page in some threads... I find the 500px size sometimes too smal for some kind of pics (especially panorama) but 640 or 800px is enough to have a good view of the pic (and decide to go on flickr or any other to watch it in bigger size) and it don't make the page too long to load.

If people could just post their images in spoiler tags, that would help mobile uses (Like me). Whenever I go the RUF thread, it takes a very long time for the page to load, then I have to scroll all the way down to the newest post. I want the choice of displaying the images I have not seen, and hiding the images I have already seen.

I think people do not put their images in spoiler tags because they don't know how to do it.

It's getting boring trying to view all these pages full of great pictures now. I just can't stand the loading and being bumped back to the top of the page.

This. I no longer bother trying to view image threads because of this problem. If all of the other GT photographers want people to see their galleries, I suggest they wise up and use spoilers. It's driving me away from good threads.

Well I think this loading problem is on small portable devices because only my phone is having problem to load gt6 photos ( but I got to admit it is really anoying for people with slower Net or small mobile devices ).

I honestly think this won't be fixed unless, like every problem that needs to be addressed in the world, comes and directly slaps someone in the face; a "it's too late" wake-up call. Although I'm not quite sure what the consequences of posting oversized photos (besides not being able to view them quickly and enjoyably) would be, I feel the inevitability of this problem alleviating itself to be virtually non-existent. There is 1. no incentive for posters to post small; what's a few less views/likes to someone who just directly imports all their PS3 photos to GTP; and 2. there are no consequences, at least ones that the average poster could face, in light of not complying to the good of the community.

I too was annoyed with large images being shown everywhere, but luckily I found something in the uder preferences that can fix this:

upload_2015-2-14_17-8-13.png

The Page Formatting option is the one you want.

Back