**TAKE NOTICE** - Stop posting HUGE photos!

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 96 comments
Nobody is rushing anyone so relax. They just want to make sure the staff and/or Jordan is aware of the problem, that's all. Maybe if Jordan, or Famine even, stopped by and gave word one way or the other, then that would settle things down a bit here in this thread.....you know, that thing called communication. :P Notice if you will, I didn't feel the need to tag anyone. ;) Staff has only been tagged once from what I can see from the last few pages so again, nobody is rushing/bugging anyone. :)
Never mind then. I guess I somehow saw it as more than that, but apparently it isn't. :dunce::banghead::confused:

The decision to allow users to upload any size images was one made to promote ease-of-use. Considering nearly half of the visits to GTP are on mobile browsers these days, an easy-to-use system that encourages users to stay on the site made sense, and still does for large chunks of the site, where this is less of an issue.

You won't hear me disagree about it being a problem within the Photomode section, though; this is a specialized area. I was relatively slow on the uptake for Flickr, but I'd gladly sing its praises to those not in the know these days, as it's a high-quality, free alternative - and provides another avenue for community exposure, really. I also can't stand seeing images dumped straight from the PS3 to a thread - they muck up the page layout and the click-to-full-size feature does the same thing. But the cream rises to the top: the folks that produce thoughtful, user-friendly photo experiences tend to get greater results, and those people too lazy to consider others' experience, less so. It's the same mindset that steers the competitions: sure, people are fully allowed to post tiny thumbnails as their final entry, or not have their 500px image linked to a full-size image... but if they can't be bothered to produce an entry that will give them their best chance, I'm sure not going to do the work for them. Any non-clickable images are put in the poll that exact same way.

It's an unfortunate truth that as access speeds have picked up over the past few years, the majority of people have cared less and less about file sizes. I'll flat out avoid the non-gallery threads when I'm not on a desktop computer because of that, and yes, a page with well over 100mb of files is not good for anybody's connection, regardless of the formatting havoc it wreaks. But as people who care about things like pixel counts, page loads, and formatting, we're in the minority. We need to educate.

But the tone has to be positive, and it needs to be a community-wide approach: when a member hops into a comp thread with an improperly-formatted post, often times before either Nato or I can get to it, another member has steered them towards proper posting etiquette, in a way that is far nicer than the typical "read the FAQ noob" response that can rear its head in other areas of the web. The OP certainly doesn't come off as particularly friendly.
OP? are you refering to me as being unfriendly or have i misread you? :D

The decision to allow users to upload any size images was one made to promote ease-of-use. Considering nearly half of the visits to GTP are on mobile browsers these days, an easy-to-use system that encourages users to stay on the site made sense, and still does for large chunks of the site, where this is less of an issue.

You won't hear me disagree about it being a problem within the Photomode section, though; this is a specialized area. I was relatively slow on the uptake for Flickr, but I'd gladly sing its praises to those not in the know these days, as it's a high-quality, free alternative - and provides another avenue for community exposure, really. I also can't stand seeing images dumped straight from the PS3 to a thread - they muck up the page layout and the click-to-full-size feature does the same thing. But the cream rises to the top: the folks that produce thoughtful, user-friendly photo experiences tend to get greater results, and those people too lazy to consider others' experience, less so. It's the same mindset that steers the competitions: sure, people are fully allowed to post tiny thumbnails as their final entry, or not have their 500px image linked to a full-size image... but if they can't be bothered to produce an entry that will give them their best chance, I'm sure not going to do the work for them. Any non-clickable images are put in the poll that exact same way.

It's an unfortunate truth that as access speeds have picked up over the past few years, the majority of people have cared less and less about file sizes. I'll flat out avoid the non-gallery threads when I'm not on a desktop computer because of that, and yes, a page with well over 100mb of files is not good for anybody's connection, regardless of the formatting havoc it wreaks. But as people who care about things like pixel counts, page loads, and formatting, we're in the minority. We need to educate.

But the tone has to be positive, and it needs to be a community-wide approach: when a member hops into a comp thread with an improperly-formatted post, often times before either Nato or I can get to it, another member has steered them towards proper posting etiquette, in a way that is far nicer than the typical "read the FAQ noob" response that can rear its head in other areas of the web. The OP certainly doesn't come off as particularly friendly.

Have you ever seen a post like that, Kyle? I don't thik it's typical nor even rare. I never saw something like that. :P

Lee is (as Nathan) probably the member that helps the most other people and tries to bring new ideas to the Photomode community. I think you would agreed.

And I don't thing the OP is friendly either but I can understand the frustration. Probably a lot of people feel the same way (as myself) but they just go away and ignore the forum. Lee really likes this corner of GTP and that's why he opened this thread (I think). Because he probably cares more than the majoraty of us (at least than I do... I have no problem to admit).

It's better to have 1 "not very friendly" OP than not having Lee at all arround IMO. :)

We're all here because we share the same passion about cars+photography+art+community+competitions+(all the good stuff). But it's very easy for a member to leave a website when he starts to experience annoyance where he used to experience pleasure instead.

I think we're all in the same page here. But it's better to tackle this "annoying" and "small" problem now* that people (at least the people like Lee and me) are still here...

I'm sorry if I wrote some nonsensical thing. I'm a bit sleepy.

*now = short term

The actual OP on this thread is written pretty tongue in cheek (jokey) hence the last line of "I have spoken".

This thread was made in hope that it could make a difference and not to annoy people. I'll leave it at that, i wont risk offending people were no offence was intended.

The thread is here for anyone to read if they want. i wont be mentioning it again.

Last edited:
The actual OP on this thread is written pretty tongue in cheek (jokey) hence the last line of "I have spoken".

This thread was made in hope that it could make a difference and not to annoy people. I'll leave it at that, i wont risk offending people were no offence was intended.

The thread is here for anyone to read if they want. i wont be mentioning it again.
profound & noble, imo. (stone him!)

everybody now, k!

agree with "courtesy and patience" Ratt, noted
V

Last edited:
profound & noble, imo. (stone him!)

everybody now, k!

sticky? (or just keep bumpin)

I don't see the need to further beat the horse (bump the thread). @SlipZtrEm was in here earlier and I'm sure that he will communicate with Jordan if he sees this issue as being a problem that needs to be addressed. :) Also, I'm sure enough members here have seen the thread and understand there is a bit of a problem. It will be up to them now to have some common courtesy and do their part in helping to remedy the problem here. I say just have some patience, as I'm sure Jordan is aware of the issue here now, and see what he has to say about it and what solutions he may have. :) :cheers:

I said this before and no one took any notice:

There is no need to post stupidly huge photos. When you post (those who don't get it) could you post a normal size picture and then link it to the large version.

It gets annoying when members on here post 50 pictures per post and they're all huge. There is no need for it. It just makes navigating these galleries annoying as you scroll down only to be bumped up to newly loaded huge photos.

I bet i'm not the only one who finds it annoying. so to any members who do it, especially the new ones, you're all very welcome here but i for one tend not to look at galleries that are annoyingly slow and awkward.

Also, think of those who use mobile phones or tablets...not everyone has super fast broadband, have some sense.

I have spoken

Your avatar complements getting the message across.

I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but what about self-moderated threads?

The thread starter sets the rules, theme, etc. and has the ability to delete posts that do not comply with the rules (after warning)? This would require repeated monitoring from the OP (especially if the thread is popular). I remember seeing some premium members closing their own threads, so I don't know if this feature also exists (even though it may be just for premium members).

I still think it would just be easier if Jordan just put a limit on the size of the photo that could be uploaded to the site. If your photo is over the size limit, whatever that may be, then the site simply won't allow it to be uploaded. I understand the whole "ease of use" that SlipZtrEm spoke about earlier, but there are more than a few free photo editing programs out there that you can use to resize your images. Its pretty simple to do and it takes no time at all. There are even programs out there that only do photo resizing and also allow batch processing so there is really no excuse, except for being lazy or just not wanting to take the time to do so. For a person like me that comes to this part of the site on a daily basis to admire all these members great work, it sure would be a lot more enjoyable if I didn't have to wait ages for the page to load because there are so many large photos on the page. And this is coming from someone with a fast laptop and a very good internet connection.

Last edited:
I agree that it's a serious issue; it's very difficult to browse many of these threads. Fortunately, solving this problem from a technical perspective turned out to be a bit easier than I expected, and I have implemented custom forum software functionality which will automatically resize all posted images. See the official announcement here for more info.

Also, there is an extensive new gallery system coming to GTPlanet very soon, which will make sharing, browsing, commenting, and organizing photos much easier.

Yeah i am loving this! things seem to be loading much faster! But tell me, has everything posted before now been re-sized too? Just asking. :)

Well, you know how you can click on images on GTP that are from Imageshack and other similar sites, and it would take you to the site with the image?
Imgur doesn't really work that way, and you can't look at the size the image originally was.
And for some reason, since the update happened i noticed Imgur images seem to have been loading slower.
Imgur does allow for Albums though, and i feel that it will be a feature in the next GTP gallery update.
EDIT: some pics don't seem to load properly, lower parts of said pics seem to be covered in a single colour.

Last edited:
Well, you know how you can click on images on GTP that are from Imageshack and other similar sites, and it would take you to the site with the image?
Imgur doesn't really work that way, and you can't look at the size the image originally was.
And for some reason, since the update happened i noticed Imgur images seem to have been loading slower.
Imgur does allow for Albums though, and i feel that it will be a feature in the next GTP gallery update.
EDIT: some pics don't seem to load properly, lower parts of said pics seem to be covered in a single colour.
All images can be linked to another site with the correct coding.

That just depends on the user pasting a URL in around the image and it works with any site...

[url=URL HERE][img]IMAGE HERE[/img][/url]
[url=http://imgur.com/gallery/9ay6J][img]http://i.imgur.com/zt7smR4.jpg[/img][/url]

Now click on the image...

When you copy images from other sources, like Photobucket or Imageshack, you're given the option of copying the direct link or the forum link (amongst others). The direct link is just the image, but the forum link is a URL wrapped around the image.

Back