Take on Phil Spencer in Forza 7 Dec. Bounty Hunter

• Thread starter nExx
  • 76 comments
So this is going on until the 3rd. So there's time for everyone to improve. Cool.

I discovered that the RSR responds well to heavy braking, as long as its in a straight line. I'm wondering how this will improve my times.?

I'd say forget late braking completely, you gain surprisingly little. Concentrate on smooth driving instead.

Light & early braking in this clip, yet not a bad lap time.

Managed a 1:30.7, it was quite difficult. Maybe I can manage a 1:29 high but it'll be a struggle, Hopefully he won't go that low.

I'd say forget late braking completely, you gain surprisingly little. Concentrate on smooth driving instead.

Light & early braking in this clip, yet not a bad lap time.

This is some good advice to follow. For ten laps straight I tried driving hard, but it would just end up upsetting the balance of the car and make me push too wide. Easy braking and modulated throttle on exit was the best for me.

#&*$! this car! And the same goes for Forza!

The darn thing is spinning out at 60MPH while being lugged in 4th gear and off throttle! What the H-E Double hockey sticks! At 60MPH the car should be planted. But in this game, the back half of Hockenheim is coated with grease. I don't see how the car is getting upset when the turns are as smooth as glass, and I am practically in the middle of the track when I am beginning my turn.

The darn thing is spinning out at 60MPH while being lugged in 4th gear and off throttle! What the H-E Double hockey sticks! At 60MPH the car should be planted. But in this game, the back half of Hockenheim is coated with grease. I don't see how the car is getting upset when the turns are as smooth as glass, and I am practically in the middle of the track when I am beginning my turn.
I can't say I'm having the same problem. Care to show a clip recording, maybe we can evaluate the problem there? I can practically floor it within any gear, with modulation of course. Only time I've absolutely spun it was due to user error with hitting curbs or braking too abruptly unsettling the car.

It will take me a little bit to create it. I'll edit it in here.
Make a new response when you post, so that way it notifies us that haven't read the thread yet. An easy way would be to press the record button when it happens, and then go to www.xboxdvr.com and enter your gamertag in, and pull the video and paste the link here.

My guess would be that you are experiencing lift off oversteer. Rear Engine RWD cars are notorious for this. You need to brake early enough that you can maintain some throttle in the corners turning with no throttle usually means the tail is going to go. The other option is to turn on STM though throttle control will net you the faster laps.

Basically the effect of no throttle while turning is a bit like pulling the handbrake,

Make a new response when you post, so that way it notifies us that haven't read the thread yet. An easy way would be to press the record button when it happens, and then go to www.xboxdvr.com and enter your gamertag in, and pull the video and paste the link here.

I'm on PC... I got to set the record that thing up. In order to use the wheel with the XB1, I'd have to relocate it, and I just moved it to the living room, for family use. I just pulled this from my PC's hard drive.

Here's a short video via my YouTube Acct/Channel.

The issue happens around the 1:06 mark.

Even though the video is an out lap and it's on cold tires, I have the same problem even at lap 10. The car is just stepping out in the 60 - 70MPH range. It also happens on the last two corners (I treat them as one long turn). Later in the video, you can see me tip-toeing around the turn. I have to give up a lot of time because of this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You're both lifting off as you turn in and coming over a crest that puts the car off-camber there. The weight transfer is going crazy and you're losing the rear end as all the weight tries to occupy the left front tyre.
You need to be slightly on-throttle as you come over that crest to keep the car balanced; alter your line to change your lift-point enough that you're not decelerating as you clear that little crest and you should be golden.

My guess would be that you are experiencing lift off oversteer. Rear Engine RWD cars are notorious for this. You need to brake early enough that you can maintain some throttle in the corners turning with no throttle usually means the tail is going to go. The other option is to turn on STM though throttle control will net you the faster laps.

Basically the effect of no throttle while turning is a bit like pulling the handbrake,

That sounds about right. It just feels so unnatural to ride the throttle when the wheel begins to feel floaty. I'll scrub more speed before the turn and see how that works. So I could be approaching the turns too fast? That would make sense.

You're both lifting off as you turn in and coming over a crest that puts the car off-camber there. The weight transfer is going crazy and you're losing the rear end as all the weight tries to occupy the left front tyre.
You need to be slightly on-throttle as you come over that crest to keep the car balanced; alter your line to change your lift-point enough that you're not decelerating as you clear that little crest and you should be golden.

I've written this down (by hand). I'm going to make the adjustment to my line just as you said. Thanks.

Edit -

Some success!
I worked on altering the line and the rear stayed planted. The car was carring a lot more speed when I entered the short straight after the turn. The same approach was applied to the final two corners and I was going much faster at the start/finish line. Now I got to fix my line else where and work on making these changes a habit.

I'm now sitting at 1:32.582.
24287428287_b8311e2f67_b.jpg

It's not the fastest time ever, but it's better than what I previously posted. (I like to celebrate even the tiniest improvements.) Thanks everyone for the tips. :)

Last edited:
Beat @RandomCarGuy17 s time again this time I got a 1:30.948 hopefully phill won’t go below a 1:30. I don’t know how to get faster than what I did this time. I stayed in higher gears on corners and feathered the throttle on the tight corners but I still drift from time to time.

My 1:32 must not have counted and I kept getting lap penalities for going off track. Then I went and turned off all aids and auto gearing leaving only ABS on. But my official leaderboard time is now a 1:33:837 without aids. I hope this is enough beat Mr Spencer. I've been trying hard to better it without aids.

Just got a 1:30.117 the night before I head off on holiday. If I could just get some of the faster corners down I think I could get 1:29, but turn 8 is so nerve-wracking; if my throttle control isn't nigh on perfect then I end up in the gravel from either lift-off oversteer or the corrections I try to make as a result of it.

Just got a decent lap time up. 1:28:XXX, it only took 10-12 laps. Wonder if this will be enough.

anyone else watched the fastest laps on the Xbox1? On the first turn exit they are going well of the track but are getting away with it and again throughout the lap? Anyone make any sense of this?

anyone else watched the fastest laps on the Xbox1? On the first turn exit they are going well of the track but are getting away with it and again throughout the lap? Anyone make any sense of this?

Poor track limits

Turn 10 consider the following to be legal:

• Any kerbs or astroturf on the track edge.
  • Minimum of 1 wheel between the white lines or the extended kerbing/turfing.
The solution is to ignore the kerbing/turfing and strictly make track limits be the white lines at the edge of the road.

However, this has been a design choice since at least 2011 (and possibly earlier) and unless Turn 10 want to release a massive patch to update every circuit (as each track update requires a complete track file to be downloaded) this is what we have to play with.

Now that you know what is legal however there is only one thing to do: abuse it as much as possible.

Last edited:
@Dopplegagger

Left foot braking will do you wonders in these cars, you should only fully lift the throttle when your braking in a straight line. If you need to coast through a long radius corner then hold a small amount of throttle and use the brake at the same time to keep your mid corner speed in check, this should keep the rear of the car much more planted and you can cary more speed through these long radius turns that require you to coast or even scrub speed in a tightening radius turn.

About half hour ago I lower it to 1:28.8

Sadly, they removed upload to YouTube - I know it can be through that page but didn't sure is it safe to login there.

On Christmas 1:30.0, day after 1:29.4 and today...

I'm competing with myself and by the way, going up on strong friends leaderboards :)

Turn 10 consider the following to be legal:

• Any kerbs or astroturf on the track edge.
  • Minimum of 1 wheel between the white lines or the extended kerbing/turfing.
The solution is to ignore the kerbing/turfing and strictly make track limits be the white lines at the edge of the road.

However, this has been a design choice since at least 2011 (and possibly earlier) and unless Turn 10 want to release a massive patch to update every circuit (as each track update requires a complete track file to be downloaded) this is what we have to play with.

Now that you know what is legal however there is only one thing to do: abuse it as much as possible.

I don't know about that There are tracks in Forza where you can run all 4 wheels off track and not be dirty and there are places where you can be prefectly legit and get flagged as dirty. Some of these have been corrected in later releases of forza but there are still places where if a wheel crosses the rumble strip the lap is flagged even though at least two tires are well within the track, in some case even putting wheels on the strip has flagged dirty and in other cases all 4 wheels can be off the racing surface and no flag.

So it is closer to being predictable now than before but you still have to experiment a bit to see where each tracks actual in game limits are as far as what is legal and what is not. IMO tt should be two tires inside the white line at all times but of course it is not.

Back