Taking GT Sport's (Surprisingly Decent) Motion Controls Out For a Spin

After a couple of days, through sugestions on the forum, I gave it a try.

Never used the analog stick again, so for a month now, only motion controls.
Much intuitive and precise, made countersteer possible to me in some situations, something impossible on analog stick (I refuse to use the ACS thing, is not a "real" system on a car, contrary to ABS, TCS or ESP). Other advantage not referred is that make the left analog stick available to map other functions (ex.: on GT6, I was constantly flashing lights or playing the horn, as I pressed L3 at the same time I made inputs on the steering :D)
Only downside is on some hairpins sometimes seems that something doesn't work well in the connection between my brain and my hands, and when I realize I'm not in full lock, is to late :D

Interestingly made me want to buy a steering wheel, just to try to improve more my driving, something that wasn't an option a month ago, as occasional player, the amount of time I play didn't seem to justify the money to be spent (being owner of a old PC steering wheel never compatible with playstation consoles).

Apperently it is possible to use motion controls for PC2. Just turn the controller when assigning the steering
Good news, too bad it's not possible on original Project Cars, stop playing the game as I deemed impossible to play with DS4 with my limited set of skills.

Actually i had the option for PC1 also. At least for me

Thanks, one of this days I would give it a try.

Honestly bought the PS4 2 years ago in a bundle that included the P Cars but stop playing some time ago, for that reason and also it caused me some motion sickness.

And about Assetto Corsa? Just ordered the game, hoping it would be available.

You FORGOT to mention, let alone elaborate, on how adjusting Controller Sensitivity in the Driving Options menu affects the steering.

Shame shame.

Good write up.
Wow, I never even thought to check that out. :dunce:

I assumed that would only affect regular control options!

Wow, I never even thought to check that out. :dunce:

I assumed that would only affect regular control options!

It actually makes a difference. I had it on 7 still from before 1.05, most of the cars were kinda twitchy. I backed down to 4 and it smoothed it out. Obviously, it’s not as good as a wheel (T500). But, it’s not as wonky as it was In MotorStorm with a DS3. I had completely abandoned it until this game! I’m very pleased. Adding trigger extensions helps a more.

It works great. Been driving with it for a few weeks and I have great speed, compared to stick.
Only thing I find annoying is that you can't change accelerate and brake. I use the right stick as throttle/brake but sometimes I lose momentum and have undesired weight shifts because I can't throttle and brake at the same time. PD please let us customize our controllers as we want!!!

It works great. Been driving with it for a few weeks and I have great speed, compared to stick.
Only thing I find annoying is that you can't change accelerate and brake. I use the right stick as throttle/brake but sometimes I lose momentum and have undesired weight shifts because I can't throttle and brake at the same time. PD please let us customize our controllers as we want!!!

You can change gas & brake to L1/L2. As I mentioned before, I bought some trigger extensions, which helps.

You can change gas & brake to L1/L2. As I mentioned before, I bought some trigger extensions, which helps.
I know. But it's not so easy breaking and acc while hard turning at the same time.
Why is it we are not free to customise freely?! It's not good, PD.

I know. But it's not so easy breaking and acc while hard turning at the same time.
Why is it we are not free to customise freely?! It's not good, PD.

You can customize every button and stick of the DS4.

Many people prefer throttle/brake with right stick, personally never adapted very well since GT3, I used the R2/L2 and still using it. But you can even configure to both R2/L2 and R (up/down) to same function. I customized left stick to other functions, like flashing lights, turn on lights, etc.

You can customize every button and stick of the DS4.

Many people prefer throttle/brake with right stick, personally never adapted very well since GT3, I used the R2/L2 and still using it. But you can even configure to both R2/L2 and R (up/down) to same function. I customized left stick to other functions, like flashing lights, turn on lights, etc.
I must be doing something wrong. Acc and brake are locked to 3 different methods on my PS4.
How can you change this? Please let me know?

I must be doing something wrong. Acc and brake are locked to 3 different methods on my PS4.
How can you change this? Please let me know?
You are probably right, probably, when I said all the buttons, directional control is limited to: motion, left stick or Dpad left and right, throttle/brake to right stick, R2/L2 or "X"/"square". "Options" and "Share" buttons aren't customizable either, I think.
But, when you set your direction and throttle options, the other "options" became free to customize, I believe.

You are probably right, probably, when I said all the buttons, directional control is limited to: motion, left stick or Dpad left and right, throttle/brake to right stick, R2/L2 or "X"/"square". "Options" and "Share" buttons aren't customizable either, I think.
But, when you set your direction and throttle options, the other "options" became free to customize, I believe.
I'll check again but I think that everything is customisable, except acc/brake - which is weird.

I beg to differ,this is the closest thing a DS4 user will get to Wheel experience very accurate and hectic fun with higher end cars.
Motion Steering enabled me take on the green hell with Tomahawk X when it was impossible back in GT6,I'm just not fast enough with thumbs let alone accurate.
You need both to drive pilot Tomahawk X there.
And this method give me quite a workout too since I'm always kinda fighting the controller not letting it fly off your hands and nothing to attach in place like wheel setup.
A lap around green hell with Tomahawk X are like an hour session in the gym and I hate gym lol!
Been using motion steering since I got the game which is like almost a month a ago.
Qualifying and free practice would be boring for me with analog stick but with motion controls it never gets old and I can improve my time with this method and not with analog stick.

I have a wheel so the controllers don't get much use, but for fun I tried the motion controls and happily surprised to say it does work pretty good. If i did not have a wheel to play gts with, then the motion controls would be a fun option to play gts in.

Officially-Licensed-Compact-Racing-Wheel-PS4.jpg

Apparently Amazon had them at some point. Can't find a shop which still carries them....
I'm genuinely interested now that I tried motion controls and really enjoyed it, but my wrist hurt after 30 minutes so a wheel would help that.

I just bought one on Ebay. Try searching for "Compact racing wheel PS4". They're cheap too, like 4$. It's from China though, so shipping will probably take ages.

The motion controller is fantastic IMO offering the ability for controller users to be able to partake online with a better chance of having a cleaner race. The only thing that is disappointing is the motion controller was not highlighted/promoted better as its such a good function

Back