Tandem Logic.

• Thread starter Gonales
  • 349 comments
Germany
Germany
x_XNyordiaX_x
I have drifted online quite a lot, and when comparing tandeming online to real life, I made some conclusions. (Tandems including more than 3 cars, mostly.)

In real life, there are some things people take into account.

For starters: Lead drifters don't initiate over 90 degrees, unless everyone knows that the lead car will do such a thing because of habits. They watch their angles, and drifting lines. Try not to hit the apex of every corner, to give chase cars the possibility to win a bit of time in specific corners.

When chasing: in the middle you should be mixing leading and chasing. This sounds stupid, but in practice it's pretty easy. Keep decent lines, try to match the leader as much as possible without getting too close. The more cars that are in the tandem = the more distance between the cars, until there is enough space to avoid collisions when spins, or vehicle malfunctions occur.

Chaser of the pack: Just chase the last car, give it the space to transition, and try to follow the 'snake' in front of you. Don't ever try to overtake, that's obviously NOT the point of tandeming.

Outsiders: To join the tandem, wait on a straight where the tandem can either slow down, or stop. Sometimes picking up a bit of speed before the tandem is there, helps. Don't EVER interrupt the tandem for any reason. Don't rejoin tracks when a tandem is approaching, watch when exiting the pits etc etc.

These are some basic guidelines that are still ignored by a lot of drifters online. Try to keep this in mind, and with (hopefully), a reduction of smoke in the future... Maybe we can get those 10 man trains with Full laps.

Yours sincerely, (kidding)
Dom.

Last edited:
You were talking about what you had observed in real life events but half way through you transitioned into a rulebook on how to tandom "properly."

You were talking about what you had observed in real life events but half way through you transitioned into a rulebook on how to tandom "properly."

That's simple. because I switched from a 3rd person perspective to a 'what they do' perspective :/ It's the same as: To go forward, they use the throttle. Or: To go forward, press the throttle.
Using real life basics to explain things in a simple manner.

Point of the thread is exactly the same though.

Gonales
I have drifted online quite a lot, and when comparing tandeming online to real life, I made some conclusions. (Tandems including more than 3 cars, mostly.)

For starters: Lead drifters don't initiate over 90 degrees, unless everyone knows that the lead car will do such a thing because of habits. They watch their angles, and drifting lines. Try not to hit the apex of every corner, to give chase cars the possibility to win a bit of time in specific corners.

When chasing: in the middle you should be mixing leading and chasing. This sounds stupid, but in practice it's pretty easy. Keep decent lines, try to match the leader as much as possible without getting too close. The more cars that are in the tandem = the more distance between the cars, until there is enough space to avoid collisions when spins, or vehicle malfunctions occur.

Chaser of the pack: Just chase the last car, give it the space to transition, and try to follow the 'snake' in front of you. Don't ever try to overtake, that's obviously NOT the point of tandeming.

Outsiders: To join the tandem, wait on a straight where the tandem can either slow down, or stop. Sometimes picking up a bit of speed before the tandem is there, helps. Don't EVER interrupt the tandem for any reason. Don't rejoin tracks when a tandem is approaching, watch when exiting the pits etc etc.

These are some basic guidelines that are still ignored by a lot of drifters online. Try to keep this in mind, and with (hopefully), a reduction of smoke in the future... Maybe we can get those 10 man trains with Full laps.

Dom.

Great post and yes a lot of people forget this.

I come from learning legit racing rules. And the thing that annoys me the most whether I am drifting/racing/cruising... Is some dumb idiot pulling out in front of me after he or she goes in the sand.

You probably notice that I try to get off the track and out of the way of people coming. I try to give common driving courtesy.

Also you have probably noticed that when someone pulls out in front of me it usually results in them getting yelled/cursed at after a few times of the same person doing this

Says the person who literally throws the car at the corner when following. Anyways, the biggest problem is the smoke. It is too strong, and more than 3 cars gets impossible to see anything. With 3 is already very hard.

If GT5 ever fix this, that would help a lot. But obviously, there are others problems with many drifters, but i won't say it, as it would not help and i would only get flammed.

Says the person who literally throws the car at the corner when following. Anyways, the biggest problem is the smoke. It is too strong, and more than 3 cars gets impossible to see anything. With 3 is already very hard.

If GT5 ever fix this, that would help a lot. But obviously, there are others problems with many drifters, but i won't say it, as it would not help and i would only get flammed.

Errr... What is the point of drifting if not throwing the car at a corner? :/ Nah miss, I'm one of the safest chasers/drifters on the forum. :P

You're right about the smoke being a problem, although IF people used these guidelines there would be more ways to get 5 man tandems going.

The sad thing about the smoke problem is that they wont be fixing it. Remember about 6 or more months back they even made it thicker!

I certainly hoped they would, because the drifting is really affected by it. I hoped they would realise, after 2 months, that this wasn't the way to go. :P

Errr... What is the point of drifting if not throwing the car at a corner? :/ Nah miss, I'm one of the safest chasers/drifters on the forum. :P
tumblr_m8a8c4l5lJ1rx6ay1o1_400.gif

Point of drifting is slide around the corner following a line, not simple slide it all over the place and enter at insane speed and backward angle missing the line.

Besides, i won't argue with you again.

Gonales

Can't argue with you on that. I an amazed that you never hit me sometimes when I mess up.

But i don't see much problem with the smoke considering higher HP cars (that most people run anyway) has. If it was a missile. It should be lower because they are not ripping the tires apart

Can't argue with you on that. I an amazed that you never hit me sometimes when I mess up.

But i don't see much problem with the smoke considering higher HP cars (that most people run anyway) has. If it was a missile. It should be lower because they are not ripping the tires apart

Agreed. My 86 pops out more smoke then a damn smoke grenade :D When it has those little cute tires it's on :D

tumblr_m8a8c4l5lJ1rx6ay1o1_400.gif

Point of drifting is slide around the corner following a line, not simple slide it all over the place and enter at insane speed and backward angle missing the line.

Besides, i won't argue with you again.

Tbh miss, I don't make reverse entries in a tandem. Hence it means I'm alone, and it is safe to not be on a perfect line. Plus, even IF there was someone behind me, during a reverse entry you always go WIDE of the apex. If that happens, the person behind me can easily follow.

All in all, please don't try to correct me. I know what I can and can't do, thank you.

Dom.

I could not agree more with your description for the lead car. I cannot tell you how irritating it is to have the lead car pull a reverse entry when I'm trying to tandem with them. I usually will forgive the first time, but if they keep trying their "amazing" reverse entry, two things are going to happen: (A) I will overtake you or (B) I will ram the hell out of you. It just depends on my mood. :sly:

I've been playing long enough to know who the "reverse" entry guys are and when I tandem with them, I know to give them more room. :sly:

You made some really great points Dom! Everything you describe is 100% accurate.

I could not agree more with your description for the lead car. I cannot tell you how irritating it is to have the lead car pull a reverse entry when I'm trying to tandem with them. I usually will forgive the first time, but if they keep trying their "amazing" reverse entry, two things are going to happen: (A) I will overtake you or (B) I will ram the hell out of you. It just depends on my mood. :sly:

You made some really great points Dom! Everything you describe is 100% accurate.

Thank you. *Smile*

Dom.

It hasn't even crossed my mind to tandem with some locals at drift events, due to my not so good drifting experience lol. But i know ill get there, the more you practice the easier it will be. By the way some really good info on ''Tandem Logic" i will be using this for not only game wise knowledge but in real life to, i think... haha

Great post Dom yes a lot of people forget this.

You probably notice that I try to get off the track and out of t of people coming. I try to give common driving courtesy.

Also you have probably ed that when someone pulls out in front of me it usually results in them getting yelled/cursed at after a few times of the same person doing this

Omg yes this right here, good post Dom i have to say i completely agree. another thing is if you can't do these things don't try chasing some one whose been doing good then reaming them thinking its super cool that you are so close to that guy, its not drift racing.it gets so annoying and car selection its also very obvious, why chase a guy you don't know whose driving a Silvia, when your in a Vette, beamer, or some other extremely fast car, you don't know how they drive and it just is unkind to do so... My rant

It hasn't even crossed my mind to tandem with some locals at drift events, due to my not so good drifting experience lol. But i know ill get there, the more you practice the easier it will be. By the way some really good info on ''Tandem Logic" i will be using this for not only game wise knowledge but in real life to, i think... haha
Is that you drifting? :lol:

Lol. + rep. I believe it is not that easy, but i would try, no matter what. at the end, you did quite great for a first day.

👍

Just watched the other 5 and you have come along way! Can I add you on PSN? i'M LEARNING WHEEL DRIFT TOO LOL!

Sure can brother! :lol: Just registered with psn today, its Driftldiot feel free to add me! I want to start off with a wheel but i want to first learn drifting on the controller then after i feel confident with it, move onto purchasing one!

Just watched the other 5 and you have come along way! Can I add you on PSN? i'M LEARNING WHEEL DRIFT TOO LOL!

Far out, EVERYONE is now learning to drift on the wheel (as am I). It has been a very good christmas for many GT5 drifters

Sure can brother! :lol: Just registered with psn today, its Driftldiot feel free to add me! I want to start off with a wheel but i want to first learn drifting on the controller then after i feel confident with it, move onto purchasing one!

I'll add you tomorrow :) Dealing with some trolls in the "Rumble Strip" Section.

Back