TCV5 HURRY THE HELL UP thread

i'm in for the power restrictions.., like to see how drivetrains pit against each other.., :)

turbo rotaries aren't a problem. they would be put into 2l turbo class.

And would pretty much dominate the class unless it's power was capped. Think about it, 639hp in the Spirit R w/S5 turbo vs 367hp in the Opel Speedster turbo. Regardless of the weight handicap, the RX7 demolishes the Opel with it's power to weight ratio. ;) The Spec R Silvia gets 450hp with more weight than the RX7, and the Spec-C is only crazy once the NOS is fitted.

I like the idea of a dedicated track for testing. I don't think the tcv4 rule of "judges choice" worked very well.

I still like the "run what ya brung" rule of tcv4. No engine size limits, power limits, etc.

when will you Aussies realize that max power doesn't make a good tune? :P It's easier to do a balanced setup for a car that has less power ( My MR2 for example), whereas super powerful monsters settings will always be colored restrained efforts of controlling the power instead of controlling the handling.

I'm not an Aussie. ;) I'm from the good ol' US of A.

Limits on engine size and power would limit car choices for the tuners to just a few. (especially if the displacement cap is 2 liters)

One suggestion I forgot in my previous post is forbidding the usage of wings.

The key to keeping something like this enjoyable is simplicity, not 4 different classes with 3 different power ratings and 2 choices of tires and crap

Despite never finishing, I think TCV3 was the best because of the following

-One track, along a technical section, short, but perfect for testing all aspects (and similar to Gunsai Touge on Touge Showdown in BMI's Hot version, which I think a good part of the "Tuner" scene came from)
-One tire Choice (S3's)
-No power limits, but focus was on handling and fun rather than outright speed, so big HP was advised against

Basically I want to see the next one run along the lines of Touge Showdown, but if your dead set on having 'classes', here's a simple solution

Old school vs. New school

And if we run it like that, I think it'd be interesting to go to S1's rather than S3's, because a lot of entrants on Touge Showdown use Advan Neova's, which are basically street-worthy Sport tires, and S1's are the closest we can get in GT4 (good endurance + grip), plus it'd call for more precise tunes and be closer to the theme of Touge Showdown

Last edited:
when will you Aussies realize that max power doesn't make a good tune? :P

Not all Aussies are power crazy V8 lovers like the US Leo, some of us love the finesse of a smaller car over a big brute. Like the saying goes over here, "Slick & Small is the way to haul!!" The Hilux has been my most powerful TC entry to date with 'only' 425hp. ;) I remember your Touge Skyline R-Tune, what was it.....510hp+?? :P

Leo
It's easier to do a balanced setup for a car that has less power ( My MR2 for example), whereas super powerful monsters settings will always be colored restrained efforts of controlling the power instead of controlling the handling.
Not entirely. You can have a very powerful car with balanced handling without needing to wheelspin everywhere. It's just where that limit is, and I'm finding on S3's atleast that the limit to their adhesion hovers around the 430-460hp mark depending on the car and their drivetrain (except FF which we know only needs about 250hp to do it) and you start turning it into a tyre chewer after that point. But at the same time, you can make some cars (like my Silvia 270NA), and turn them into tyre friers with less power. ;)

australian idea of finesse is taking reasonable opel (Omega) and slapping a V8 into it. :P thus, I'm not convinced.

australian idea of finesse is taking reasonable opel (Omega) and slapping a V8 into it. :P thus, I'm not convinced.

You call a standard Omega reasonable?? :odd: They are big boats that NEED American V8's or big power 6's stuffed into them otherwise they would become mobile chicanes over here. :P

You call a standard Omega reasonable?? :odd: They are big boats that NEED American V8's or big power 6's stuffed into them otherwise they would become mobile chicanes over here. :P

Opel Omegas also had Holden V8s in them.;) This is where I point out that Europe's fastest version of the Omega (The Lotus Carlton) had more power than any Holden did at the time. Additionally, all Omegas were severely modified in Commodore spec to suit Australian conditions and engines, normally for the better resulting in better chassis rigidity, wider track etc.

One question. One comment. Should i keep judging the TCV4? I feel weird being the only one doing it, but i enjoy doing it. I mean, if that contest is petering out, let me know...i'll wait for the next one.

One question. One comment. Should i keep judging the TCV4? I feel weird being the only one doing it, but i enjoy doing it. I mean, if that contest is petering out, let me know...i'll wait for the next one.

Yes, please continue judging RWD, we need it.

As ty mentioned to me, he wants to judge as well, so I'm going to extend RWD yet again to the 10th or until you, PF, and ty have finished judging.

Yes, please continue judging RWD, we need it.

As ty mentioned to me, he wants to judge as well, so I'm going to extend RWD yet again to the 10th or until you, PF, and ty have finished judging.

Cool. i should definately have my part done by then.

Oh, and i like the idea of anonymous entries. I feel weird getting in people's cars, and then judging them, while everything is public.. :indiff: I personally don't have a very thick skin, and i don't wanna put anybody off. We're all friends here.

Whatever happens...if it's public or anonymous, i'm digging driving eveyrone's cars. :)

Working on judging right now. Should be done by early next week-ish.

I might even consider entering TCv5 as a competitor. I probably don't have a chance, but it'll be fun. :)

Working on judging right now. Should be done by early next week-ish.

I might even consider entering TCv5 as a competitor. I probably don't have a chance, but it'll be fun. :)

I could never do it...enter a car, that is. My skin aint thick enough! I would take it personally. :nervous: I think if most of you drove one of my cars, you'd wonder how i manage to win any races at all! :lol: They're usually messier than anything i've driven so far in this contest.

The more I drive it, the more I think using the course section from TCV3 (T1 section of Citti di Aria) would be the best decision for a track in the next one

It has a good average speed that can reveal under or over steer issues, it has different sections broken up by sharp corners, which tests braking and turn-in characteristics, it's road surface is just bumpy enough to test dampening issue's and ride quality, so far it's the closest thing to the Gunsai Touge section they use in BMI's Hot Version

Other than that I already have a entrant for the next one as long as it doesn't get too complicated and such, and this one is looking to out-corner another just like it, if it enters again:tup:

It would be limiting IMO to have only one track. Consider this: FWD@Aria, AWD@GVS, RWD@'ring or something like that. Also, I think the N3 idea is good enough to give it another go. If it fails again, can it. The N3 class would need to be supported by the major garages, because us newbies probably can't tune at a level to keep it competitive and interesting.

Lets stay away from the T1-T2 only, thats kids stuff. Do a full lap somewhere and make it a big boy challenge. (just specify a track this time)

But you got to remember that freetime is a factor for some judges, just take an average laptime for a course, multiple that time by say 8-10 cars per class, and then times 3-4 different classes, it builds quickly and pushes review delivery farther back, especially when freetime is scarce, and having a short course that test's alot of aspects in that distance would help get tests done sooner and reviews out faster

I don't have a problem with going full course (in fact I have a strategy for it :crazy:), I just want to make this round easier and faster for everyone involved, but I'm also saying let's not just jump straight to Nurb for the majority of tests :scared:

I don't know about the T1 stuff, for me it always takes a couple of laps to fully understand a tune.

edit: I'd say, leave it to the judges choice. If he can pick between the T1 or a full lap, then he/she can't blame us for taking too much of his/hers free time. ;)

Going from start to T1 marker gets a little irritating with restarting and all that but as long as it's start to T1 I'm all for it, otherwise it gets to complicated.

Also is anyone interested in an 80's challenge. All car's accepted upto 1989. Any takers?

Last edited:
But you got to remember that freetime is a factor for some judges, just take an average laptime for a course, multiple that time by say 8-10 cars per class, and then times 3-4 different classes, it builds quickly and pushes review delivery farther back, especially when freetime is scarce, and having a short course that test's alot of aspects in that distance would help get tests done sooner and reviews out faster

I don't have a problem with going full course (in fact I have a strategy for it :crazy:), I just want to make this round easier and faster for everyone involved, but I'm also saying let's not just jump straight to Nurb for the majority of tests :scared:

Doesn't have to be a lap around the 'Ring or Sarthe, but maybe GVS, El Capitan, Deep Forest, etc. that doesn't take long to get around. (~2 minutes or less)

Personally I don't like the idea of someone judging my tunes based on 20 seconds of driving.

agreed again, We work hard on this tunes. I'm sorry if guy's don't feel the same way as I do, I just think that's selling our self short. I mean this is the daddy of them all, like the superbowl of tunning

Last edited:
Back