TCV5 HURRY THE HELL UP thread

Doesn't have to be a lap around the 'Ring or Sarthe, but maybe GVS, El Capitan, Deep Forest, etc. that doesn't take long to get around. (~2 minutes or less)

Personally I don't like the idea of someone judging my tunes based on 20 seconds of driving.

If the sector(s) can combine the same variation in corners etc then really there's little difference between driving a sector to driving the entire lap. The real difference comes in saving time. Admittedly it depends on whether you try to get the most out of the car each and every time, but even still the length of time driven won't make a significant difference.

agreed again, We work hard on this tunes. I'm sorry if guy's don't feel the same way as I do, I just think that's selling our self short. I mean this is the daddy of them all, like the superbowl of tuning

I'm sure all judges past and present put equally as much effort into their reviews. A quality, unbiased and thorough review takes a lot of time, and given so many entries with so few judges would a shorter distance/sector hurt that much?

Pyrelli

maximum amount of entrants per category?
We wouldn't be overcrowding rwd and there's a higher chance people will actually enter N3 class:-) Also less work for the judges, meaning more people willing to judge.

Maybe a rule of entering all classes or none? That would give the same amount of entries in fwd, awd, rwd.

Still against the T1-T2 idea. Should be a full lap. I don't mind waiting.

I'm still for the idea specified testing track also, not "judges choice".

My issue with a specified testing track is that it DOES make it easier for the tuners, however, it also means we'll have lots of specialized setups that are not as good as they can be elsewhere.

Doesn't have to be a lap around the 'Ring or Sarthe, but maybe GVS, El Capitan, Deep Forest, etc. that doesn't take long to get around. (~2 minutes or less)

Personally I don't like the idea of someone judging my tunes based on 20 seconds of driving.

Yup, very much agreed. 20 seconds of driving? I'm just getting oriented with the car.

And i also agree. please, let's not have a contest at Sarthe or the 'Ring. It would take me ages just to finish judging a handful of cars, and I don't have THAT much free time! :lol:

Maybe a rule of entering all classes or none? That would give the same amount of entries in fwd, awd, rwd.

I like this idea, as we pretty much had to do that for TCv3. It wasn't a rule perse, but nearly all of us entered one car for each category rather than concentrate on one platform.

Still against the T1-T2 idea. Should be a full lap. I don't mind waiting.

I'm still for the idea specified testing track also, not "judges choice".

The T1 sector was what was used for TCv3 with Citta and was good for that track. It provided a great insight of the cars abilities within 40 seconds and allowed people to do multiple passes in a short amount of time.

As for specified tracks, I'm against this rule. When I test and when I judge, I do multiple runs on different courses. In TCv4, I loved Kurei's car so much I tested it at GVS, Costa & Nurburgring....same with shoman's TT and bergauk's R32. Leo's car went to GVS, 'Ring & El Capitan instead of Costa. The others I tested at GVS & the 'Ring.

That's why it takes me bloody days and weeks to get my stuff done. :P

I'm not for the "enter all or none" idea, I currently have 1, maybe 2 entrants in planning, but I don't want to have to enter an older, not so freash tune or throw one together last minute un-perfected just to qualify for the first 2 to get tested

I'm good for having a specified track though, but if it's the whole track it'll have to be something that has it all, high speed, low speed, sweepers, hairpins, bumpy and smooth sections, elevation changes, maybe different road quality's as well (rough and smooth tarmac, etc)

I'd still like to see this one run along the lines of Touge Showdown though, just no HP classes, just a "run what ya' brung" type approach

(P.S. If I can find some free time around the time this goes down (and it's not too complicated), I might be good to judge a class or 2 if there not too big)

Last edited:
My issue with a specified testing track is that it DOES make it easier for the tuners, however, it also means we'll have lots of specialized setups that are not as good as they can be elsewhere.

I'm in favor of a specified track not to make it easier for tuners, but to make it a more fair. If everyone knows what track the car will be tested at, then they will tune for that one.

If tuner A tunes a car for GVS, and Tuner B tunes a car at say Sarthe II, and the judge tests cars on GVS, tuner B probably doesn't stand a chance of doing well.

How about having 2 judging tracks. Something fast and flat like GVS and then something short and bumpy like a section of the Nurburgring. Yes, I said a section, but a section of the Nurburgring is as long as a whole track anyway. :P

Score the car on both tracks then average the results. 👍

Well I like the idea of two testing tracks, but deep forest leans towards high speed driving, which could hurt some entrants who aimed for lower speed precision, and then el captain has a lot of elevation changes and bumps, which would hurt someone's entrant built at a flat track instead of something rough and bumpy

Maybe we could all decide on a track combo that incorporates everything we're looking for that everyone would be ok with

One track that I think could be used for this is Infineon Raceway's Sport car course

I like the idea of doing two COMPLETE tracks. One short and technical (like Autumn Ring) and one longer & speedier. It doesn't have to be Grand Valley, but Nurburgring is too big. I don't like the idea of doing just a section of track. The reason is, if you do an entire lap, you at least get to watch your ghost, to see if any improvements can be made from lap to lap.

The reason is, if you do an entire lap, you at least get to watch your ghost, to see if any improvements can be made from lap to lap.

Race the ghost for the section then cruise the way home, waste of time yes but you do end up with a ghost that you can constantly go up against.

Well I'm just going to throw my nominations for courses here quick...

For the Low speed/Technical track, I say Citti di Aria, plenty of variation in corners, narrow, good bumps to test the suspension, etc (Autumn Ring, while technical, is still pretty smooth, and has mostly sharp corners, not much else though, which is why I say Citti due to it's variation in construction)

And then for High Speed/Flat & Smooth, I'm going with Infineon's Sport Car Course, curvy, smooth, even with the elevation changes, although it may not be as fast as other's would like, I think this course has a good balance for this challenge

you would have to do it in classes like rwd, front, 4wd and mr-also specify tyres for each class eg racing or sports it does not take a genius to make a gt tournament just choose a track and write the guidelines. HURRY i really want to build a car for this race but i need to know what track and have some guidelines.please hurry up

you would have to do it in classes like rwd, front, 4wd and mr-also specify tyres for each class eg racing or sports it does not take a genius to make a gt tournament just choose a track and write the guidelines. HURRY i really want to build a car for this race but i need to know what track and have some guidelines.please hurry up

Go do a history check before you start that "doesn't take a genius" crap. :irked:

Every tuner cup has had a distinctive task at hand and been scored differently each time. TCv3 for example, was a Touge Challenge. The Vintage Tuner Cup was exactly that, for the cars pre-88, and set in year categories. TCv4 was a circuit based challenge. And to work out how to get your judging scores has been based on different areas in each challenge. This time it's been cornering attitude and such. VTC had speed as a primary area of improvement and lap times have played a part in TCv3. TCv3 & 4 have both had driveline classes for AWD, RWD (FR, MR, RR) & FWD.

So, when we work out a great format that everyone's happy with then TCv5 will go ahead, that's why we have threads like this.

No. No it's NOT all you need, and from that post I have my serious doubts what you think this is supposed to be.

It is NOT a lap time shootout. It is a competition to see who can tune the most driveable in all road conditions vehicle. Once you put together the car you won't need to drive it further; that will be the judge's jobs.

Now then, you shouldn't need to know the track, rather, you should be able to make a tune that is good everywhere.

Most of them have been based on S class tyres (S1, S2, S3). But we have experimented with N3 & R2's on different occasions.

Like I said, just go into GT4 forum, search 'Tuner Cup' or 'TCv' and you should get heaps of info about it all. Here, I'll do the hard work for you, took a minute to get it for you.

Tuner Garages thread, has the Vintage Tuner Cup entries, garages and other tuner challenges.

Tuner Challenge Version 3 thread

See how everything is different each time?? ;)

*added bit* RJ, let him focus on one track.....tell him it's GVS and we'll make the judging at Autumn Ring Mini. :lol:

Even if we do work out what we are going to do for TCv5 I wouldn't (am hoping) not too see it until the end of the year.

Huh?

As in you don't want to see TCV5 until the end of 2009? Huh?

Yeah pretty much. Do you guys want to go ahead with it already/ in the near future. I thought delaying it for at least a fair few months would give the judges some time to recover.

Nearish future would be the plan. As in after TCV4 is concluded and we've decided how we want to go about this.

About a month and a half will be given to get cars together so that would be rest enough for the judges I think.

I think RJ's in a mood to hurry things along, but I've noticed that a good 4-6mths between tuner cups is a good span between them. In the meantime, if you're itching RJ, issue a SRC.

Back