Tell us about your Career...

• Thread starter Tom
  • 348 comments
Update:
Bahrain, Dry Q:8th R:4th
Spain, Dry, started to rain on lap 65. Q:17th R:3rd

Monaco: Dry Qualifying, Wet race(light rain, intermediate tyres) Q:1st R:1st
I decided to go with the aggressive fuel strategy, since full power isn't really necessary here, even more so in the wet. Strategy was the same for everyone, 2 stops split evenly over the 78 laps.
By lap 20, I had a 50 second lead, no crashes, no tricks, just running the lean fuel map. It was a fairly straight forward Sunday drive from there, finishing over a lap clear of Webber in P2. Probably could have lapped him twice if I had stayed on it.

Update:
Malaysia: Qualified 14th, finished 8th
China: Qualified 10th, DNFed
Bahrain: Qualified 7th, finished 1st (Maldonado got 2nd, making it a Williams 1-2)
Spain: Qualified 24th, finished 7th
Monaco: Qualified 1st, race not done yet

I have tried career a few times, but motors blow up too frequently; and dynamic weather messes up; will wait for patch before re-attempting-I race against Legend A.I.

For now just online racing and RaceNet time trial(s)

I am currently up to Monza and uploading my progress for each race with my practice runs if you will like to check them out, please see the link in my signature.

BlacqueJacques
I have tried career a few times, but motors blow up too frequently; and dynamic weather messes up; will wait for patch before re-attempting-I race against Legend A.I.

For now just online racing and RaceNet time trial(s)

How frequently(engine blows up)? And how does it(dynamic weather)mess up?

How frequently(engine blows up)? And how does it(dynamic weather)mess up?

Too often :) You (I :)) can over rev the engine downshifting in 2012 version.:ouch:

Just check the other threads on F1 2012 and you will get an idea.

Also the F1 2012 Codemasters Forum also has a lot of examples.

Don't get me wrong :); I love the game; just looking forward for the inevitable first Patch :crazy: :grumpy:

Picked up F1 2012 yesterday, what a fantastic job they've done making it challenging compared to 2011, although intentionally picking Marussia instead of Lotus or Williams may have done that.

Legend AI. 100% race distance. No aids.

Team: Marussia
Aims for next Team: Lotus
Season Objective: 20th.

Melbourne- Smooth but aggravating race. I was driving as fast as possible, but couldn't get higher than 21st place, but it was a fun race. The car was set up perfectly smooth, just didn't have the speed.

I crashed in the last laps of Kuala-lumpur, accidently of course. But when I went to start the next race, it starts out as a practice session on the same track. Found this incredibly odd. But had a bad tire strategy which screwed me over in the last laps, as well as a penalty I wanted to serve but couldn't. Finished 18th.

Last edited:
Having joined Toro Rosso, I scored a handful of points a Hungary (I was 30 seconds away from a well timed pole position!) and I was competitive at both Spa and Monza. Rival is Di Resta. Highlight though is my first win at Singapore from 7th on the grid! Up to second from the (chaotic) start, passed Grosjean into turn 5 and held on despite the rain throughout! Don't expect to repeat the feat at Suzuka though.

Was a little annoyed at the team mate challenge when changing teams halfway through a season though. I thought it would reset the scores, but it calculates the scores based on the races up to that point against your new team mate... So Ricciardo had a nice headstart in 2 of the challenges thaks to his better car. He had outqualified me in all 10 races so far and had fastest lap at 8 out of 10. Luckily I had outraced him in 5 of those races, and thanks to my win I'm now winning the team challenge 3 - 2....

Got some upgrades to the Marussia, qualified for 19th on Bahrain, with the objective being at 20 or higher. Glock qualified for 20th, with a .213 difference between us on our fastest lap. I think this is going to be a great race, seeing how I love this track.

Great race until lap 30 or so, then the rain kicked in, and knew I should've gone straight for the wet tires instead of the inters. Rain racing is amazing, and so much better than 2011, the ai has reasonable times that you can keep up with. lap 33 and in 7th position. Not much drama besides a bit of sliding. The rain clears up with 12 laps to go, enough to get back on inters, pitted for that, and lost 2 places due to a hold up in the pits. Got my first points of the season, finished up in 9th place, very very happy with the results. Didn't think I'd get a point all season.

Last edited:
Catalunya. Qualified for 20th. The race is nuts, people spinning out, it's raining lightly, so everyone is on intermediates. The car setup is a little twitchy, which is unusual because it's been smooth in all previous races. Might be due to the rain again, like in bahrain.

Race- It was going great, was going to beat Glock, but then my engine cut out and ran out of fuel in the last 2 laps, which put me dead last. Couldn't believe it happened, but it's my fault, should've paid attention.

About to start a 100% career with Caterham. Thinking of going Legend AI, though I'll probably get whooped. :lol:

First victory in Valencia by keeping a dry setup on through a rainy qualifying (ended up 14th on grid) and followed up with a fifth place in Silverstone after a similar situation (but qualifying last on grid :d )

Thinking of switching Legendary for next race, but kinda scared xx;

Update:

Canada: Dry, Q:8th, R:2nd
Valencia: Dry, Q:1st, R:1st
Silverstone: Dry-Wet-Damp-Dry Q:1st, R:2nd. Pole here was quite unexpected, I somehow managed to drag a respectable lap from a car I didn’t think was good enough, just in time to spoil a McLaren front row.
Hockenheim: Dry, Q:18th, R:24th(Retired) Car was so bad I couldn't be bothered driving it..

After this I received an offer from Sauber (to begin immediately), after some thought I accepted.

Hungary: Dry-Wet-Dry, Q:12th, R:2nd
Spa: Dry-Wet-Damp, Q:14th, R:1st. After Spa, I chose Webber as my Championship rival.
Monza: Dry, Q:18th, R:3rd
Singapore: Dry-Wet-Damp-Dry Q:3rd, R:1st.
I qualified third, but started second because pace-setter Alonso received a 10 place grid penalty.
In the race, I took the lead from Button at turn 1. As the rain fell and then got heavier, I timed my pitstops for inters and wet tyres perfectly, and had a 1 minute lead over Massa by lap 21. I spent the rest of the race looking after the car, to win by 30 seconds at the flag.

Currently 1st in drivers championship, with a 36 point gap back to Alonso in second.

Ended up going with Force India in my career. Qualified 11th at Melbourne, expert AI. I plan on sticking with the team for my entire career, so hopefully the car improves each season.

Nice clean start at Montreal, qualified for 24th, just couldn't find a good setup. Race began on inters, pulled ahead to 20th spot on the first corner with careful twitchy out-breaking. Ahead of me was Glock (my teammate) Di Resta, Vergne and Nico H, they all had a slow coming out of the corner to the straight before the pits, overtake 16th with no conflicts on the end of lap 2. I heard a crash behind me, but was out of my view.

Pulling consistent laps, 1:32 for lap 3, bumped up to 1:30 for lap 4, track is drying up already. Lap 9, my engineer tells me to put on option tires, but it's still raining and the track is wet. Not sure whether to stay on the intermediates or go on the softs. Pulling away from Rosa, +19 seconds. +22 seconds. and only -7 seconds from Grosjean, it's definitely the right call to stay out on the inters as it is still raining. Paul, grosjean, vergne dicciardo and hulkenberg all pit again, back onto the intermediates. Penalty on lap 15, Grosjean smacked into me while I braked too early on the final corner before the pit. I serve it, lost 2 spots, back in 18th.

Lost front wing just before the pits on lap 18 with locking up the brakes, but needed new intermediates anyways. Pitted, came back on track still in 18th, with Paul 18 seconds behind me. The track was dried up on lap 25, pitted for primes, hoping I can do one more pit stop and be done, if all goes well. Rosa 20 seconds behind me on lap 26. My fastest lap at 1:23.852 so far on lap 41, no drama so far. going for the Prime on the next pit stop, I hope it lasts long enough to get to lap 70.

Paul now 23 seconds behind me on lap 44, tires looking good, may be able to stop for Softs at this rate. But then someone turned on the sprinklers quite suddenly, have to do a wet tire stop. Very unexpected and sudden, the skies showed no signs of incoming rain beforehand. Pitted for inters, as did everyone else, lap 47/70, and only 22 participants in the race. Hulkenberg who retired. and my teammate Glock who was apparently disqualified. Should've gone straight to the wets, pitted lap 48 for wets. Lap 51, crashed, lost front wing, pitted. position came out was 19th. Stayed in 19th for the rest of the race, no drama or position change.

McLaren made a 1-2 on the track, with Lewis being first. Glock was DSQ, wonder what he did. Overall an ok race, not my best track. Rank is just shy of 3 after the race. Next race at Valencia, one of my personal favorites.

Last edited:
Guess I may have to restart my career. For some reason Steam keeps saying "Finishing Installation... 1%" when I try to start the game, even though it's already installed. It never loads the game, restarts Steam, and just does the same thing over and over again. I looked it up on the Steam forums, and there are a lot of threads about it, but no real answers to the problem. One involved an anti-virus program that I do not have installed, so I just uninstalled Steam and all of it's files from my computer and am now reinstalling the game. Hopefully it fixes the issue.

Guess I may have to restart my career. For some reason Steam keeps saying "Finishing Installation... 1%" when I try to start the game, even though it's already installed. It never loads the game, restarts Steam, and just does the same thing over and over again. I looked it up on the Steam forums, and there are a lot of threads about it, but no real answers to the problem. One involved an anti-virus program that I do not have installed, so I just uninstalled Steam and all of it's files from my computer and am now reinstalling the game. Hopefully it fixes the issue.
Mine has done this occasionally, putting Steam back into online mode then launching the game seems to sort it out (at least for me).

Update:
Suzuka, Q:10th, R:1st
Korea, Q:10th, R: DNF
India, Q:18th, R: DNF
Abu Dhabi:, Q:8th, R:1st
Pace here was better than expected, sometimes I was faster, then sometimes Hamilton or Alonso were faster. For the last 10 laps, I had to fend them off on aging option tyres, with the car slipping and sliding everywhere. I held them off to secure the drivers title with 2 rounds to go.

US, Q:14th, R:1st
Brazil, Q:1st, R:
Final race for Sauber, time to end this on a good note. Qualified on pole, edging Button and Hamilton by 0.05 seconds. Early on in the race me and Button pulled away from Webber, quickly opening a 10 second buffer. We held this until the first stops, then Grosjean and Rosberg passed Webber for 3rd and started closing the gap.

After the second round of stops, Button used DRS to take the lead of the race, my hopes of victory quickly faded when he pulled a 10 second lead in just 5 laps. By lap 50, Rosberg took the lead from me, and Button was just 1 second behind me, with his final stop already done!

Rosberg started to slow, so I pounced and took the lead back and pushed as hard as I could on aging primes. With some assistance from an HRT, I had a 5 second gap on lap 55, where I pitted 1 lap ahead of schedule for my last set of green options. The Sauber boys did something special, a 2.8 second stop.

I arrived back on circuit, in P2 just 5 seconds behind Button. I sensed my opportunity, and closed on Button, one tenth here, two tenths there, until eventually I was right on his diffuser on lap 64. We both caught up to a Caterham, who sat in the middle of the road at the third to last corner, Button went to the inside, I went to the outside and came out in the lead. I then proceeded to pull away, using every bit of grip, and every drop of fuel I had to bring it home, 3 seconds clear of the McLaren.

Half way point, 10 races done.

Caterham, Currently 12th in the Championship, 35 Points including one race win at Valencia.

Got offered spot with Force India just there but turned it down. Don't know if I want to leave Caterham.

Mine has done this occasionally, putting Steam back into online mode then launching the game seems to sort it out (at least for me).

Just tried it, didn't work for me. I've just reinstalled the entire Steam program and redownloaded my game and it's still doing it.

Edit: Got the installation to complete in safe mode, but I lost my career.

Last edited:
#8 on the calendar- Valencia

Qualifying went great, made an adjustment to the wing and found 1.5 seconds, qualified for 19th which is fantastic for a track I'm not well at.

Race. Objective is 18th or higher, I think it's possible as long as I don't destroy a wing. I have a feeling a few dsq/dnf may happen here.

Right at the start, I see Di Resta lose control of his car on the 2nd turn and smash into the blue barrier facing the wrong way. A major opponent in my tier already off to a bad start. 2 more incidents happen causing traffic to slow down considerably slow, and I zip around them to overtake 11th. No safety car, just local yellows. Lap 3, and positions 1-10 already have a 12 second gap between me and them, I know there's no way I can catch up to them. Fuel is on lean to save the tires.

Another yellow flag on lap 3, Grosjean takes 24th place, he's not having a good race. Another yellow at the pit lane end of lap 3, I hear Pastor spinning his tires, look behind, a lot of debris flies in the air, so I assume he lost his front wing, right after pit entrance. Dropping back to 13th, Vergne has the better car, Ricciardio though trails behind me, waiting to make his move. Him and Resta overtake me on the DRS zone, putting me to 15th. Glock dropped back to 21st. Grosjean making his way up, in 17th.

Pit on lap 13, in 16th position in front of Ricciardio, had a slight spin beforehand, but held on to it. No drama so far. Pitted for hard tires, came out ahead of Ric. Grosjean finally makes his way up right after I came out of the pits, position 17. First blue flag, Massa is in the lead. Glock 16.8 seconds behind. Massa pulls a 1:45.667, compared to my best of 1:54.416. Glock is in 18th, 26 seconds behind by lap 18.

Drive-through penalty on lap 19-20, was completely 100 percent my fault with early braking to let someone by, but I didn't get off the racing line. Glock now 3.389 seconds behind me.

Webber, Hamiliton, Ricciardo, and Maldonado all retired so far.

Lap 31, I'm in 15th, Glock in 16th, 5.0 seconds behind me, a fantastic race so far, he's always behind me, even when we pit. 1:51.984, fastest lap for me. I think Glock is also trying to do the 2-stop strategy I am going for. My teammate comes breathing down my neck by lap 38, we're having at it, but clean. Everytime he gets the DRS, he tries to take the inside line, but he has to brake earlier, so I've kept him behind me for now. Kovalainen steps in between us every now and then, but I see the yellow stripes on his tires, so he's not really a factor between us and Glock because we are both on the harder white-stripped ones.

Lap 40 he has pitted, Glock has overtaken me. I need to stay in front of him, I have 0 idea how many laps are left because of how many times the top has overtaken me. Lap 42, Glock suffers from traffic, and slows down a lot, enough for me to pass him. I pass him, just need to maintain this spot long enough to win my race against him.

As soon as I crossed the line starting lap 43, Glock pulls to his left and slows down. He's joined the retired group, Glock, Webber, Hamiliton, Ricciardo and Maldonado all out of the race. Kovalainen still behind me, my tires are almost dead, and I'm not sure of the ending of the race. I had a window to pit, so I took it, and put on my last set of softs. Enter 15th, come out on 15th, success. Now to hold my position. Perez pulls fastest lap of the race 1:42.308. Alonso takes the pole on lap 53/57 for me. I finish up in 15th ahead of my competition on the grid.

17th spot overall for Driver's. Glock is 21st. Marussia is 10th for Constructors.

Last edited:
What difficulty are you guys running? It helps to add context to the story, is it possible to edit in some quick notes of what difficulty level everyone's running?

Legend with no aids as well, tire/fuel sim both on.

Silverstone

Qualified for 3rd in the first qualifying session, this is the first time I've advanced to Q2 in F1 2012, my worst track in f1 history. I only got so high because it was raining all qualifying, and ran a hot dry lap on softs in the last 50 seconds, no one else out on track. Wasted 3 softs and a prime in practice and quali 1 combined. I'm staying in garage for Q2, need to save my tires, not sure of my strategy yet. Quali objective was 17th or higher.

Race, starting in 16th objective is 16th, starting out dry weather, on softs. Chance of rain 10 percent. I hope it doesn't rain. Going for the softs, hard, hard strategy if all goes well. It doesn't. Spun and crashed into someone, car is done. Onto the next race.

Last edited:
Race report from Canada. Driving Force India with professional AI with most aids off except medium TC (although I can't remember if there are any others at the moment)

Qualified 10th, which was a surprise considering most of the weekend my times were off the pace. I was the only one starting on the prime tire, thinking of a strategy advantage later on. Got a great start off the line which was strange and thanks to my alternate strategy ran my own race (except around lap 32-34 where I got caught up with a group who had already pitted twice).

So by around lap 60 I'm running 8th, and then (even though it wasn't in the forcast) light rain started to fall which had me pitting for intermediates. I'm not the best in these conditions and lost 8th to Perez and 9th to Kobayashi and almost lost 10th to Vergne, until the rain got heaver. I pitted immediatly on wet tyres while everyone else tip-toed around on intermediates for another lap. Before the pit stop I was about 8 seconds behind Kobayashi, after he pitted for wets I was 5 seconds in front :D

That's where I finished, one place under the race objective. Actually, I always seem to complete the qualifying objectives, but almost never the race ones, does that affect how the team sees me, or is it just a motivator?

Woah this game is hard. First season and I'm leading the championship after finishing 3rd Monaco, where I had the good fortune that my main title rival Webber scored a DNF. I think the game may be a tad unrealistic in that whenever I fail to finish on the podium the podium goes Toro Rosso, Sauber, HRT, although when I do finish on the podium the other cars are always a Red Bull and a McLaren...

Current Team: Lotus
Aims: To usurp Richard Hammond in his position as driving god
Next Season Team: Lotus (I guess)
Best Qualifying Position: 1st Malaysia, Monaco
Best Finishing Position: 1st Bahrain, Australia
Current Drivers Championship Position (After Monaco): 1st

Had the best race at Hockenheim. I pulled a 4-stop pit strategy, whilst everyone else pitted for 10-11. (proof) http://s1055.photobucket.com/albums/s520/briansjennings/?action=view&current=10-27-2012004.jpg

Started the race out on options, made my way up as much as possible, which was dead last, then rain started to begin to fall, so I made my way onto the wets immediately, it came down fast and hard. 1 pit stop, everyone else pits for inters. The very next lap, everyone hops onto the full wet tires. I didn't need to pit, I keep making my way towards the Torro Rossos, since I was able to keep up with them on this lovely track with the tires I had were heated for the rain, instead of their cold inters ones. They pit again after the rain,

I pit for options, since I was afraid it would rain again, on lap 23, then pitted for primes on lap 35, and lasted me the whole race, started 24th, ended up in 17th, a fantastic race with a 2-minute lead from my whole tier group.

Got a contract offer to Torro Rosso after the race, and I've accepted it. Ricciardo is my teammate, currently in 19th, he's the #1 driver with 1 point. I'm the #2 driver, in 17th with 2 points. Can not wait to see how this matches up to the end of the season. Definitely the best start I've ever had since I started f1 2010 and f1 2011.

Back