Tell us about your Career...

• Thread starter Tom
  • 348 comments
Hungaroring

Was refreshing driving a new car, and can't believe I'm already on a new team. I have a much better teammate, Ricciardo, who qualified for 17th, while I barely got 20th place, right above Glock. Practice was difficult, spent most of the times on the track, making a few changes see if I can get comfortable with the car, just hard to get it fast. It's nice to have KERS on the car again for sure, but fell behind 2 seconds from my teammate. Long ways to go I think, and only Spa is next on the calendar after this.

Race- Made my way up to 10th slingshotting past everyone after the first few slow corners, but I know I won't be able to hold it for long. Just need to focus on beating Glock, who is 16th, right behind my teammate Ricciardo by lap 3. By lap 10, he's right behind me. But I think I can make my tires last longer than his, I think he would've overtaken me already if his tires were good enough, mine are definitely ok.

Lap 36. I can not keep up with Ricciardo, not a chance to compete with him, at least in this race. The goal was to get 18th or higher, and I'm in 17th, with no chance of catching up to the others, and 18th guy, Petrov, is a minute behind me. So I'm stuck in the middle. Not sure if it's the car, or it's my setup. A few more dnf's, and I place myself in 14th, with Riccardio in 11th. I wonder how long I can maintain my position in the championships.

Spa is next. To me, this is where it shifts the mood towards the end of the season. 9 races to go.

Currently driving for Caterham on Pro AI at 50% distance. Started the week of at Montreal and started practice and I was on pace in the dry but the forecast said rain for qualifying and the race so practice was of no use really. Step forward to qualifying and qualified 19th in light rain.

Race starts of with a wet track and i jump up to 11th and slowly work my way up to 6th before i pit on lap 9. On to primes and after one lap it starts pouring rain, AI comes in for inters and i accidentally crash into the wall while still on primes so everyone is moving at a crawl. AI comes in along with me the next lap for wets for the majority of the race.

Lap 11-29 consisted of me battling with Rosberg, di Resta, and Senna.

After lap 29 the track slowly started to form a dry-ish line and AI switched to inters but my engineer said heavy rain soon so i stayed out for a lap extra with the rain completely stopped so i dove into pits and slapped on inters and fought hard but couldn't catch Senna and finished 7th.

Currently 3rd in points at 76, but vettal and everyone else is catching me and i see me dropping fairly fast the next few races while Alonso continues to dominate.

Just won the world championship at Singapore for Lotus on medium difficulty. I should probably turn the difficulty up, I found it a bit too easy once I worked out how to beat the Red Bull's on tyre strategy. Wins at Melbourne, Bahrain, Montreal, Valencia, Silverstone, Hockenheim, and Spa so far. Only finished out of the points at Catalunya. I hate that track with a passion. There are so many awkward corners.

Also, who agrees with me that the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is the best racing circuit in the world?

Roger the Horse
Only finished out of the points at Catalunya. I hate that track with a passion. There are so many awkward corners.

Also, who agrees with me that the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is the best racing circuit in the world?

I absolutely hate Catalunya, no flow to the track whatsoever. Montreal has always been one of my favs, so easy to get in the groove and be very consistant.

Is it just me. Or when you switch teams, everyone starts getting a lot faster from then on. It's always happened to me at Spa in 2011 though, so just may be that.

I absolutely hate Catalunya, no flow to the track whatsoever. Montreal has always been one of my favs, so easy to get in the groove and be very consistant.

No flow at Catalunya?, I completely disagree dude! It's probably one of the most flowing circuits on the calender IMHO. All the teams heavily use Catalunya for testing during the pre season.

If you want no flow go to Abu Dhabi that's as uninteresting as it gets.

detergent

Thats why i hate Herman Tilke. Every track has to have a retarded long straight or 2, a few 90 degree turns, a turn from some renowned track and if it doesn't have a multi apex corner its not cool. F1 slowly turns into Formula Tilke.

What makes Abu Dhabi boring is the lack of elevation and every corner is 90 degrees

No flow at Catalunya?, I completely disagree dude! It's probably one of the most flowing circuits on the calender IMHO. All the teams heavily use Catalunya for testing during the pre season.

Man, I absolutely love Catalunya, especially the last sector. 👍

Belgium this week at Force India. Qualofying was bad as the car just doesnt have the speed for this track.

Lap 1 i darted up from 18th to about 10th and worked my way up to 3rd before i had to pit for options. But then as usual the rain came and i decided to pit a lap early for inters to get a jump on vettel for second.

So i dart in on lap 16 and switch and immediately im catching everyone but my plan backfired when the AI went straight to wets and i crossed the line still on inters so i had to crawl back to the pits and ended up finishing 8th. Had my pit crew been faster i would've came out right before Massa and had a chance at 7th

On to Singapore because Monza is my worst track and got DSQ on purpose. On Pro AI they are really slow at Singapore

Wasn't the parc ferme bug supposed to be fixed? I saved after Q3, like 2 weeks ago or so, and wanted to give it a go today. Car handling felt like 🤬 aka default setup.

Cc0RG.jpg

yv7d6.jpg

l7sSP.jpg

It's beyond my imagination why it doesn't list my Q3 time either but well...did this happen because I saved my game so long ago? Maybe before it was fixed.

Mr. S
Wasn't the parc ferme bug supposed to be fixed? I saved after Q3, like 2 weeks ago or so, and wanted to give it a go today. Car handling felt like 🤬 aka default setup.

It was supposed to be fixed but its still reverting to default setup for the race every time I save after Q3 (really annoying)

Cool. 👍

Pro AI, Toro Rosso - have to admit, been using flashbacks a lot because I didn't care to make setups for the Toro Rosso. Glad I could get into the McLaren right away tho (crashed out on purpose in Singapore, won all the other races). :)

I just can't stand not having "my car" in career mode. :D

It was supposed to be fixed but its still reverting to default setup for the race every time I save after Q3 (really annoying)

Thanks, gotta go through it then. :)

Monza
Selected Bruno Senna as my rival right before the Italian gp. He's at 11 points, I'm at 8.

Practice- I come in 4th. 1:27.035. 1st is Alonso 1:26.926. 2nd Hamilton +0.001. 3rd Vettel +0.047

Quali- Objective is 10th or above. Q1- time of 1:25.550 P1. Q2- time of 1:24.752 P2. Q3- power flickering due to Hurricane Sandy. Turned off PS3, not turning it back on until the storm passes.

Finally had a chance to get back into my career last 2 nights. As a reminder, I am running Legend AI.

First up was Suzuka. Not that fun with a Toro Rosso's inherent understeer, but I soldier on and get a setup to compromise this and fact qualifying will be wet. Intermediates are the tyre of choice for the duration (at least for my involvement). First lap out feels good, I keep a Ferrari in sight and finish my first lap 2.5 seconds down. I can't improve on my next efforts and see that I'm currently in 13th but crucially ahead of Ricciardo and my rival Di Resta. I return to the pits for some more fuel, and I rejoin 24th. It hasn't dried at all, but whilst I was stationary the AI did it's thing of giving itself some dry lap times. End up 10 seconds slower than 23rd. Not impressed at all.

I race on regardless, choosing a cautious srategy and after a very good start I jump up to 12th where I felt my pace should have matched, and I struggle to hang onto Perez whilst I pull a 5 second lead to Hulkenberg thanks to my aggressive fuel mix. Decent pitstop by the team and I continue in 12th after the stops. Alonso is now the one giving me problems though as he closes in on me. I'm down on power to the Ferrari and with DRS he blasts past on the straight, but he has also brought Hulkenberg and the rest with him so I defended for the remainder of the race on standard fuel mix and finish 13th. Ahead of both Ricciardo and Di Resta again, and a happy return after worst qualifying session at Toro Rosso.

Korea was the first race in a while that did not feature rain, but the understeer of the Toro Rosso was still out in force through the second sector. I set what felt like a superb lap, but it was only good enough to qualify in 18th and a second down on the next spot. Not much more I could do, so I went into the race hoping this would be another case of AI being much stronger on single lap pace than race day.

I get a good start and a nice gap into turn 1 becomes 7th place. I have some KERS left to get me ahead of Button into turn 3, but he repays the compliment when DRS is activated 2 laps later. Again on an aggressive fuel mix I maintain a gap behind. I get caught in the pit when a poorly timed Maldonado delays me a second, allowing the 3 cars behind me to exit ahead as I sit and wait. I catch Raikkonen napping at the pit exit, but not for long as again my straight line weakness is exploited. On the next lap Massa rejoins behind, but now on option tyres. In pushing to stay ahead during his stop my fuel is now on -1 lap so I turn it down to standard for the remainder of the race. Massa closes and passes, leaving me in 10th and 5 seconds back to the Williams drivers. Prior to this race I was 10 points ahead of Maldonado and 3 down to Senna, so I was keen to keep the point in my attempt for 13th in the championship. I hold them off successfully, but with 2 laps to go I still have -1 laps fuel so I am now forced to Lean mix. The pressure is even greater now for the final lap, and I on fumes through the last sector. I stutter across the line and JUST about edge out both of the Williams for 10th!

Such a great pair of races, onto India and still trying to sort out the single lap pace issue...

Last edited:
UK-Gamer
Either that or the Hungaoring for me. I love Budapest, I can easily get it hooked up there.

I know there has only been two F1 races there, but I really like the Indian circuit. Very fast, awesome to watch.

Not in qualifying!

Had the same issue in practice for Abu Dhabi though, on pace becomes 7 seconds off the pace of 23rd thanks to not being on track for a couple of minutes.

Mercifully though, qualifying was completely dry and I got my career best grid position of 2nd last night! 0.076 seconds from first maiden pole. Race to come later tonight, hope I don't see a repeat of the parc ferme glitch as the setup I used was a beaut :scared:

I managed to start a bizarre pile up at Suzuka which took everyone out except for Schumacher and the HRTs. No prizes for guessing which AI driver won the race.

pezzarinho17
Finally had a chance to get back into my career last 2 nights. As a reminder, I am running Legend AI.

First up was Suzuka. Not that fun with a Toro Rosso's inherent understeer, but I soldier on and get a setup to compromise this and fact qualifying will be wet. Intermediates are the tyre of choice for the duration (at least for my involvement). First lap out feels good, I keep a Ferrari in sight and finish my first lap 2.5 seconds down. I can't improve on my next efforts and see that I'm currently in 13th but crucially ahead of Ricciardo and my rival Di Resta. I return to the pits for some more fuel, and I rejoin 24th. It hasn't dried at all, but whilst I was stationary the AI did it's thing of giving itself some dry lap times. End up 10 seconds slower than 23rd. Not impressed at all.

I race on regardless, choosing a cautious srategy and after a very good start I jump up to 12th where I felt my pace should have matched, and I struggle to hang onto Perez whilst I pull a 5 second lead to Hulkenberg thanks to my aggressive fuel mix. Decent pitstop by the team and I continue in 12th after the stops. Alonso is now the one giving me problems though as he closes in on me. I'm down on power to the Ferrari and with DRS he blasts past on the straight, but he has also brought Hulkenberg and the rest with him so I defended for the remainder of the race on standard fuel mix and finish 13th. Ahead of both Ricciardo and Di Resta again, and a happy return after worst qualifying session at Toro Rosso.

Korea was the first race in a while that did not feature rain, but the understeer of the Toro Rosso was still out in force through the second sector. I set what felt like a superb lap, but it was only good enough to qualify in 18th and a second down on the next spot. Not much more I could do, so I went into the race hoping this would be another case of AI being much stronger on single lap pace than race day.

I get a good start and a nice gap into turn 1 becomes 7th place. I have some KERS left to get me ahead of Button into turn 3, but he repays the compliment when DRS is activated 2 laps later. Again on an aggressive fuel mix I maintain a gap behind. I get caught in the pit when a poorly timed Maldonado delays me a second, allowing the 3 cars behind me to exit ahead as I sit and wait. I catch Raikkonen napping at the pit exit, but not for long as again my straight line weakness is exploited. On the next lap Massa rejoins behind, but now on option tyres. In pushing to stay ahead during his stop my fuel is now on -1 lap so I turn it down to standard for the remainder of the race. Massa closes and passes, leaving me in 10th and 5 seconds back to the Williams drivers. Prior to this race I was 10 points ahead of Maldonado and 3 down to Senna, so I was keen to keep the point in my attempt for 13th in the championship. I hold them off successfully, but with 2 laps to go I still have -1 laps fuel so I am now forced to Lean mix. The pressure is even greater now for the final lap, and I on fumes through the last sector. I stutter across the line and JUST about edge out both of the Williams for 10th!

Such a great pair of races, onto India and still trying to sort out the single lap pace issue...

I had the same problem as you, can keep up with legend ai in race not in quali. The trick is to sandbag your times. They base their pace off yours and they always get faster in each session. So don't use real low fuel or mix three in Q1 or two. Q3 wait until there is only enough time for one lap. Took pole at melbourne with the williams doing this.

Update: Started my second season, taking up my new post as second driver at Red Bull.

Australia, Q:2nd, R:1st
Malaysia, Q:3rd, R:1st
China, Q:1st, R:1st
Bahrain, Q:1st, R:1st - wasn't expecting pole, had gearing set for the race(no DRS) was on the rev limiter for 1/2 the front straight
Spain, Q:2nd, R:1st
Monaco, Q:1st, R: TBC

Starting to regret this a little, should have stayed with Sauber or a team slower than Red Bull..

I had the same problem as you, can keep up with legend ai in race not in quali. The trick is to sandbag your times. They base their pace off yours and they always get faster in each session. So don't use real low fuel or mix three in Q1 or two. Q3 wait until there is only enough time for one lap. Took pole at melbourne with the williams doing this.

2 points on this:

1) I had the reverse issue at Abu Dhabi - took second on the grid, but in the race I was defending like crazy from everyone and holding them up. I won the race, but I didn't do a single lap without someone giving me pressure for the majority of the lap!

2) I don't push the car early anyway, and rarely get past Q1 in order to increase my pace! Flat out required all the way through if I am to make it to Q2....

pezzarinho17
2 points on this:

1) I had the reverse issue at Abu Dhabi - took second on the grid, but in the race I was defending like crazy from everyone and holding them up. I won the race, but I didn't do a single lap without someone giving me pressure for the majority of the lap!

2) I don't push the car early anyway, and rarely get past Q1 in order to increase my pace! Flat out required all the way through if I am to make it to Q2....

Yeah I'm at sakir now and i had to work hard to get to Q3, ended up 6th. Got my way up to 3rd end of 2nd lap, then Hamilton pulls over from the lead (lol). I end up 2nd behind Alonso after he pulls away from me on the hard tires. Can't wait till I'm out of this Williams

Well, let me tell you a story - I'll paste what I wrote yesterday, it's so annyoing. I've just tried to start race 2 of my career, Malaysia. It said 0% chance of rain for the race, so I used a dry setup. Come race day all AI drivers are using intermediate tyres...the sun is shining...I can hear the water on the street..yet, can't see anything.

Right, I made a backup just before the first race in Australia - so back to that one, through Australia again. Come race day in Malaysia...same story. I did actually repeat that two times, so I've been through the Malaysia R&D (3 laps per R&D attempt) two times & qualifying three times.

I've stopped playing for today since I wouldn't want to save after Q3, don't want to run into the parc ferme bug again.

Luckily I made a backup after the practice session, so that I could start my third attempt in Q1. I'll prolly give it another shot with the Australia save game and see if the weather generation is working properly this time around. If it doesn't I'll make it a 15 lap race. It's just sad, I had to make the first race a 15 lapper as well. That feels incredibly disappointing if you're used to 100% races.

I've stopped playing for today since I wouldn't want to save after Q3, don't want to run into the parc ferme bug again.

Ah, great. I did not know about this. I just put the Williams into P5 at Melbourne and saved the game. :ouch: Legend AI too, really hope I don't get this bug. I hear it resets your setup to default?

Luckily I made a backup after the practice session, so that I could start my third attempt in Q1. I'll prolly give it another shot with the Australia save game and see if the weather generation is working properly this time around. If it doesn't I'll make it a 15 lap race. It's just sad, I had to make the first race a 15 lapper as well. That feels incredibly disappointing if you're used to 100% races.

That's cool. I do 100% races as well. 👍

I have only hit this bug once myself, have you tried starting the race then quit to the main menu? (NOT retiring)
Not sure if it will make a difference, but I haven't been effected by this bug for a long time (just over a season)

Update:
Monaco Race, 1st by over a lap.. I actually won by a bigger margin with the Williams last season!
Canada, Q:17th R:1st (I spun into the wall of champions on my Q2 attempt and was knocked out)
Valencia, Q:1st, R:1st Took victory fairly easily, but for the second half of the race the AI were matching my lap times when they were on primes, I was on options(not pushing, but I certainly had to try to take back the fastest lap, a bit strange)

Will be putting in a fresh engine for Silverstone, have been stockpiling. I have 6 unused so far :D

Back