Tell us about your Nations and Manufacturers race

• Thread starter Tekku
  • 427 comments
The explanation for the crash at 3:22 is probably in the same video. The lap before it, you approached that section lifting off quite a lot before the little bump on top of the hill, while when you crashed you didn't. That made the tires lose enough traction over that bump to cause a spin, also because you applied quite a lot of steering angle right on top of that bump in comparison with the lap before, where you started steering before the bump, taking a smoother line. That's a tricky section on a road car with soft suspensions, no downforce and road tires, so even the traction control can't help so much.
Also, you should make your downshifting from 4th to 2nd gear more smoother, again it's a road car and has long gearing. You maybe can get away with that aggressive "jump" of the 3rd gear while braking on a perfect straight line but if you're applying even a tiny steering angle it's basically like you're tapping the handbrake for a moment. There's a big difference between the speed of the car in 4th and the speed the rear axle can "sustain" while in 2nd gear, noticeable by the engine hitting the rev limiter.
Having said that, I'm not here to teach driving lessons to anybody, I'm full seconds slower than some of the times I've seen from some guys above in this topic and that says it all. I'm just trying to help.
In a sense, you are right, but I drove those last two laps the complete same way I did all through warmups and the beginning of the race (besides missing my braking point into turn 1) but the tires just felt completely different. Its something I've never felt before while playing Sport.

My nations race tonight was quite interesting. I qualified horribly as I didn't have much experience with the reverse track. I started 17th position and quickly became last during the start of the race as. But I'm a quick learner so I played it safe for two laps and tried to learn every corner. Then I really tried to push it and I managed to overtake half of the field. Overall very satisfied; no major incidents except hitting a guy in the back because he was weaving a lot.

The speedway/oval the other night was trash, everyone in VW's(PD....you watching), I qualified 1st, happy as, race starts and 2nd and 3rd have nothing on me on t1 and t3(t2 is hard to be faster/slower), 5 laps in they are understanding that I am winning and t1 is their issue because they get a good run on me slipstreaming the main straight.
BANG 2nd place doesn't drop speed just drives right into my side as a round t1, I get a 10sec+3 second penalty and drop to 5th, sat at the side dropping my penalties in disbelief, pondering the rage quit, 6th rounds t1, purposefully swings to the inside and clips me(who is already off track) and I get 5 seconds added.

don't know where I finished, don't care the whole thing just pissed me off

Managed to get 3rd in my first nations race on Saturday , due to work i've been struggling to get any playtime since , fingers crossed i can find some time this week !

It was a good hard race , i kept up with 1st and second for 5 laps and then somehow they both managed to find a second or so a lap so i couldnt keep up . It amazes me how fast some people are sometimes .:bowdown:

Just finished the manufacturers race and oh'boy am I sweating or what. I qualified 4th and pushed through to 2nd during the first lap. I managed to hold this position with some really intense driving and a GTR that was constantly breathing down my neck. He held true to his SR and backed off a couple of times when it got too hairy. And whenever he went up sideways with me I tried to stay as far away as possible, to focus on another line. Overall a very respectful and memorable battle that landed me 2nd place due to my consistent cornering and pace.

Another day, another 2 videos of my races. :D

The fourth round in test season 1 of the FIA GT Nations Cup, racing with the Porsche 911 GT3 RS at Lago Maggiore II (Reverse). Again a road car that handles awful, constantly trying to drift. Though with the Porsche it's a bit more understandable since the engine's in the back. It was sort of controllable though so it was more fun to drive. Actually managed to put a good qualifying lap which put me in 7th place but during the race I quickly started losing positions. Think I'm just not used enough to driving these faster road cars yet and the reverse layout of this circuit is pretty bad as well. Still managed to finish 10th though after a few good laps in the end.

The fourth round in test season 1 of the FIA GT Manufacturer Series, racing with the Subaru WRX Gr.3 at Dragon Trail. Qualifying went bad since the WRX doesn't seem competetive here whatsoever, at least not for the fastest lap. I only qualified 13th but thankfully the race went a lot better than I thought. Most of the overtakes were from other people messing up, I was able to avoid them all thankfully, especially at the fast chicane. Only got hit once which costed me 1-2 places but it wasn't too bad. Had a few nice battles as well but in the end just couldn't keep up with the Viper and ofcourse the overpowered Porsches. But still an enjoyable race overall.

In a sense, you are right, but I drove those last two laps the complete same way I did all through warmups and the beginning of the race (besides missing my braking point into turn 1) but the tires just felt completely different. Its something I've never felt before while playing Sport.

After reading this, I think the same thing happened to me - but I wonder if it is due to a simulated light mechanical damage?

In the extremely tail happy Carrara GT3 Nations cup race last night, I was dumbfounded at qualifying 5th when there were 5 x DR C in the race (was DR D SR B, now DR D SR S), was PP after first lap of qualifying, then people posted some better times.

I kept up 5th till halfway, lost one position, then lap 4/6 pushed too hard and hit the wall hard on the RHS. The car felt like it was veering left a little after that, and really did feel like it had lost traction. Maybe I was just rattled? I settled myself down, but still found myself having to go easy for the next lap, at the end the grip seemed to come back a little.

Again, how fun is driving RWD when they kick out! Motion Steering has awesome countersteer.

Surprised I managed to go from SR B to SR S in 2 days, after spending so long trying to be clean in SR B? Is it just the longer FIA races, or maybe the FIA races have a higher weight than the dailies?

Both my favourite onlines races were yesterday
The porche was super fun to drive, was trying with traction control off and really struggling, but putting it to 1 made it tail, but hold speed and accelerate out it you were able to apply controlled turning. Ended up in 6th, but was the highest of the Aussies in the lobby

Then a WRX one make from yesterday where I came from 3 second back with half a lap left because the guy went cautious trying to not make a mistake. He defended the inside line into the last hairpin and I went around the outside and pulled in on the exit inches infront. The guy I passed posted that it was an insanely good pass in the chat after telling everyone to watch it.

Had a decent Nations Cup race. Finished 6th on a freaking hard lobby. Got over 1180 points.

Manufacturers Cup. Was 3th, right on the tail of the second but was sent spinning by the guy in 4th on the first chicane. Went down to 13 or so. Was trying to work my way back to a decent position when this happens:

Sent him a message afterwards and he thinks he's in the right.

It's because of people like the guy in the video that sport mode races suck so often. Because we're on FIA championships, apparently, but these guys have no clue about FIA racing regulations (and PD doesn't care to teach them). When you're not side by side or at least half a car beside your opponent, you have no right to claim "space", especially when you're not on the racing line. And if, on top, you don't change your approach to a corner if you have someone else on the outside, by lowering your speed, you should get DNF. This is ludicrous.

I think I'm racing with like minded people but I'm not. Most of these guys are fast when alone on track but if they have others around them they will do pretty much anything to gain / keep their position.

If nothing changes after the test season, especially harsher penalties for bumping and sending other drivers off track, I doubt I'll keep playing. It's simply frustrating to want to have fun by racing clean and smooth and then get hit by some jackass or by someone who's overly ambitious and ignores the fact that GTS's physics is not that realistic so if you bump - even if slightly - a car on the rear wheel, it will spin.

ps: Didn't include the footage of the spin because the person who did it sent me a pm apologizing for ruining my race and everything ended well. Everyone makes mistakes and that's OK. I'm more pissed about the situation in the video really.

Is there points for this round? As it said that points will be counted only for the first 3 round?

I haven't participated in last night's rounds so I wouldn't know lol:lol:

Some of the cars are slower than others, but PD has shown they are willing to balance BOP moving forward. This is only a test season, so I expect we'll see more changes in the future.
As it stands I think the Lexus, Toyota and Ford GR.4 cars could be better.

Todays race is GR.3 in the manufacturer cup, and the Toyota GR.3 car is worth driving.

Also, keep in mind you can see your ranking compared to other drivers of your car in your region, so you can see how good you've done compared to other Toyota drivers.

Yeah hopefully it;ll work out, BOP is always a hard one,
I did the Gr3 race, qualified 3rd but made a mistake on lap 5 pushing to hard into turn 1, put me to 8th and then I got punted off on lap 9 and came 17th.. woooo.

Won my second race in the Nation Cup. the 911 was pretty decent if you let the tail slide out abit.

i3 today could be fun!

The Nations cup in the Porsche once i got used to it was very fun, id have really liked a couple more laps at least but hey, it was still a really good fun car to drive. I ended up 7th (i think) after being punted down the field on lap 2 by some moron (who pleasingly ended up last!!!)

The Gr3 race however was my most fun race to date. I qualified 3rd (which was higher than i was expecting) about a third of a second off pole so it was tight! Lap 1 was good and clean but then i made an error and ran wide after missing my braking point to drop to 6th. I managed to climb back to 4th when the car in front hit the wall at the chicane. The drive in first was abot 4 seconds clear of second who i was a further 2 and a half back from at the end of the 7th lap. The leader must have made a mistake as late in the 8th lap 1st, 2nd and me were all within a second of each other! I eventually took second with a clean pass and on the last lap the car in 1st took it cautious through the final chicane....i went went for it.......and disaster - i clipped the wall :(

Finished 3rd but man what a great race it was and although with more skill i could have won, it was still fantastic to race with 2 other good clean drivers for a win.

Nice first race at Suzuka, totally annoying race at Interlagos, done with it midway through Brands Hatch race, totally fuming with driving standards and random penalty system.

My goal for these races has been to qualify in the top half of the field and then pick them off on by one when they make mistakes. I dont have the speed to qualify better or pass them on track, so that has been my strategy.

Qualified 8th for the manufacturer's cup and was enjoying some wild pack racing for the first lap.

On the second lap the tight turn 4 right hander after the kink a n00b came from 5 car lengths back, rammed the car ahead of him, which launched into the car ahead of it, which then launched into me, spinning me and crashing my car into the barrier backwards. With one swift move he smashed 2 cars into the barrier and knocked one off course. Dropped to 17th but battled back to finish 9th or 8th.

I am proud that in the 5 or 6 FIA races I've done so far I've committed no errors and I've rammed nobody off the track. Just need to pick up my speed. Consistently 2 seconds off the pace and not sure where Im losing the time.

I have had nothing but horrible luck in most of the races, however...

Tonight, I raced the 25:00 Dragon Tail race, entered my M6. Set the poll at 1:41 and change, and was never in second the whole race. Consistent lap times from 1:42 to 1:41 and won by over 9 seconds.

I am happy.

Well, for the first time - I got seeded with some speedy drivers in my Dragon Tail manufacturers cup.
I qualified with a subpar 1.42.1 (I was setting low 1.41's in practice consistently with the occasional high 1.40) but just couldn't put it together in qual.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that a mediocre qualifying time was met with a mediocre qualifying position (I had been getting lobbies of not so good drivers). I was 11th on the grid.

After a race in which I can say I did commit 2 errors (never took anyone out, or caused an accident) but did slide off track once between turn 3/4 and once in the S bends. I managed to claw back to 10th after being as low as 15th. My last 4 laps were all low 1.41 and I was rapidly catching the 7/8/9 pack - one more lap and I think I had a chance.

Pole didn't seem to have much success in the race, he dropped to 2nd after a few laps and then new P1 put up some consistent 1.40's to drive away from the field (he was driving the same car as me, Mazda all the way), pole ended up 2nd, but fell to 3rd because of a 2sec time penalty.

Overall it was a great race, it was nice to have some pacier drivers in my lobby as the past few races I was in the top 3-5 on the grid and most of the field didn't have much speed, I got the most points for this race after finishing 10th compared to a 3rd place and a 5th place on Interlagos and Brands Hatch respectively.

It was also a nice change from the GR.4's, the GR.3 cars are a little more squirrely and more fun to drive - I think they're also a little more evenly balanced between each brand. I'm looking forward to tonight's GR.4 race, one of my favorite tracks - hoping to nab my first pole of the FIA cup.

Didn't qualify that well last night and ended up 14th, moved up to 12th in hte first lap, then got completely wiped out back to 20th by an asshole who went wide and pushed me into the sand in the second lap. It's funny that the game ghosted him about half a second too late, he had already ruined my race. I then scrapped my way back to 16th for a whole 3 points. Woohoo!! :)

Last edited:
Been having mixed success so far with both Nations and Manufacturers Cup.:

Rd.1 - Started and ended in 7th in Round 1 of Nations. Qualified 3rd in Rd. 1 of Manufacturers Cup, but had a lot of bumping, punting from others and personal mistakes to end up 8th.

Rd. 2 - Very competitive racing in Rd. 2 of Nations. Bumped into someone coming off of the final corner at Blue Moon Bay and got a 10 second penalty. Ended up at where I started in 6th place. In Manufacturers Cup at Interlagos, I qualified in 1st and was able to maintain it. I swapped positions once after going to wide in the 4th corner, but got it back and enjoyed having the clean racing with @JTSnooks .

Rd. 4 - I skipped Rd. 3 and Nations Cup Rd. 4, as I am primarily going to focus on Manufacturers Cup. I qualified 1st and had the fastest lap, as well at Dragontail. I feel I was too cautious in the race itself, especially in the Seaside chicane section. I am happy with the win I received last night, but not happy with my performance to get it. Overall a great race with @RuddRacer at the end with a few minor bumps.

I am excited for the last 3 rounds as I have thoroughly enjoyed this test season! I have learned a lot by racing other competitors and learning about controlling your pace when upfront. The i3 Nations Cup race should be entertaining tonight!

I didn't bother with the nations races but in my first manufacturers race (signed for Lexus as quite simply I Love Lexus) at Suzuka I qualified 4th. Half way through the first lap I felt I was clearly a lot faster than the dude in front but I couldn't get past cleanly. I made an ill judged move round the outside and went off on the grass. No spins or anything but I came back on in 9th. Fair play it was my mistake. I managed to get back up to 6th on the next 2 laps then I got rear ended a beauty at the chicane smacked me right into the wall across the artificial grass! That was pretty much the end of that as I got a 3 second penalty for being ass rammed. Finished 14th.

Didn't take part in Sunday or Mondays races for various reasons. On Tuesday I qualified 4th again, kept my cool for the first couple of laps as the 3 in front of me swapped places and eventually took each other out. In the end I finished 2nd after a couple of scary moments with back markers on the last lap!
Not looking forward to tonight's races tbh as I don't really know Alsace very well so I don't imagine I'll be finishing very high up the order.

Last night came dead last in manufacturers and dropped from B to D in SR...love it. Had a brazilian who disliked my clean pass after he ran wide, he spent the entire match smashing me off the track. I even got a nice 10second penalty at the bottom of the hill hairpin due to be being Tboned by a full speed angry porsche....

I really love these races. Actually I'm only competing in the Mfg cup, but the competition in all of the races has been close and intense. I'm DR. B and SR. S, and in the daily races I usually qualify mid pack with some much faster A and S drivers in front and some much slower drivers in the back. In these Mfg cup races the drivers are almost all pretty evenly matched. Great stuff.

I didn't get to do Suzuka, but driving the Jaguar at:

Interlagos: qualed 4th and finished 2nd. Was always within a second of the leading driver in a Viper, but every time I got really close enough to make a move I'd get too nervous and make a bad corner exit. Real happy with 2nd though.

Brands Hatch: qualed 7th. Felt pressure from behind and ran wide and spun on the first lap. Spent the rest of my time in a crazy pack fighting for 15th or so. Very impressed that I did't pick up a lot of spots from people going off. There are some very good consistent drivers even at the back of these races. Think I finished 13th or something.

Dragons Tail: qualed 12th. Had a clean start and moved up to 8th after the first lap (some luck involved as that chicane can make or break you at this track). Had a great back and forth battle with 6th and 7th for many laps. Made a couple of passes on the GTR in 7th, but he always got me back on the cutback. Eventually got one to stick and was able to get by the Porsche in 6th later in the lap when he had a slow run through the esses. The next car up had a spin so I ended up in 4th. Watched the replay about 3 times last night because I was so amped after such a great race.

Back