Ten Things You Must See at the 2019 Goodwood Festival of Speed

The article says you need to ride the tractor to the rally stage, I strongly recommend you don't do that. The queue will be massive and you can just walk up on the opposite side instead, it's impossible to get lost because you just follow the course and you can watch the hillclimb as you go. If you just follow the path up there are some good viewing spots in the woods (worth remembering if the weather is as bad as last year and you need to shelter from the sun).

The article says you need to ride the tractor to the rally stage, I strongly recommend you don't do that. The queue will be massive and you can just walk up on the opposite side instead, it's impossible to get lost because you just follow the course and you can watch the hillclimb as you go. If you just follow the path up there are some good viewing spots in the woods (worth remembering if the weather is as bad as last year and you need to shelter from the sun).

I completely agree with this advice. I love walking up through the woods to the rally top field, F1 cars screaming by on the left as they reach the top of the hill & rally cars popping & banging on the right blasting through the stage, such an aurol experience that's only to be had at Goodwood FOS. Also if you don't walk it, you miss out on all the great viewing spots in the rally stage. The tractor ride just gets you to the top where all the cars are lining up to start the stage.

"Now Volkswagen has optimized it for speed on the flat, could we see the all-time record fall?"

No, because if it did the MSA would require catch fencing along the whole route next year.

Rumour has it that Allan McNish unofficially broke the record in 2002 in that year's Toyota F1 car on an untimed run - I was there; he definitely wasn't hanging about - and got a major telling off for it.

Roo
"Now Volkswagen has optimized it for speed on the flat, could we see the all-time record fall?"

No, because if it did the MSA would require catch fencing along the whole route next year.

Rumour has it that Allan McNish unofficially broke the record in 2002 in that year's Toyota F1 car on an untimed run - I was there; he definitely wasn't hanging about - and got a major telling off for it.

Romain has set a new timed record. Its a practice session, so doesn't stand as an actual record though.

Edit: he also said that he's hoping to get into the 40's

Romain has set a new timed record. Its a practice session, so doesn't stand as an actual record though.

Yep, just saw that. Glad to be wrong 👍

Ah yes. Because I don't walk (I'm old, my leg joints are all banjoed) I forgot that some people do, and there is indeed a path through the forest up to the rally paddock.
Word here is that this is downplaying it a little...

The rally paddock is a long ****ing walk! I have to admit I'd always considere Goodwood to be a bit flat for a hill climb... Have climbed the hill... I certainly don't anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rally paddock is a long ****ing walk! I have to admit I'd always considere Goodwood to be a bit flat for a hill climb... Have climbed the hill... I certainly don't anymore.

The day after the FOS my legs are always hurting! It's a really tiring day but so worth it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:D
That is, for reference, still above (albeit slightly) the time it's possible for it to get according to the knowing people... Look out for Sunday's final run.

Last edited:
Back