Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,521 comments
Tesla has passed $2k a share for the first time.

Screenshot_20200820-142407.png

They've gone to Plaid. I'm assuming the upcoming Roadster will also get this drivetrain (they did say it would have three motors, and a range of 620 miles compared to the 520+ they claim here), or at least something similar. Any word on how big the battery is?

The Plaid can be as fast as it wants, but until Tesla brings the build quality up to par with what they're charging, then EVs like the Taycan and Lucid Air will continue to be simply just better.

So Elon says that in just three years time, Tesla will introduce a model that will cost $25,000, have 54% more range than current models, full autonomous driving, and... the chassis of the car will be made out of batteries?
Musk said Telsa intends future models will use batteries both an energy source and the car’s structure, saying this is a transition to compare with the first aircraft designs that placed fuel tanks within a plane’s wings.

Investors were shown what looked like CAD drawings of the front of a chassis, with the implication being that much of the metal would be batteries.
I'm not sure if this is just Elon being Elon or if there's actually some merit to this. It would seem making the batteries a permanent and load-bearing part of the car would cause more problems than benefits, least of all being what happens when the battery-body inevitably won't hold a charge anymore. But then again, we're in a time where keeping a car long enough for that to happen is becoming less and less common, so I dunno.

Hopefully in 3 years enough other companies (including these other startups) will be making enough electric cars that the crap Elon Musk spews will no longer be relevant to anyone.

So Elon says that in just three years time, Tesla will introduce a model that will cost $25,000, have 54% more range than current models, full autonomous driving, and... the chassis of the car will be made out of batteries?

I'm not sure if this is just Elon being Elon or if there's actually some merit to this. It would seem making the batteries a permanent and load-bearing part of the car would cause more problems than benefits, least of all being what happens when the battery-body inevitably won't hold a charge anymore. But then again, we're in a time where keeping a car long enough for that to happen is becoming less and less common, so I dunno.
They went over it in their presentation yesterday.

Hopefully in 3 years enough other companies (including these other startups) will be making enough electric cars that the crap Elon Musk spews will no longer be relevant to anyone.

:rolleyes:

I know it may come as a surprise since you're more in your element when it comes to not knowing basic things about the cars the company you work for makes, but I don't think that many people would be too torn up when people are so spoiled for choice for electric cars from both startups like Lordstown and Rivian as well as traditional automakers finally putting actual effort into making them that they no longer have to tolerate an asshole like Elon Musk to get one.

I know it may come as a surprise since you're more in your element when it comes to not knowing basic things about the cars the company you work for makes, but I don't think that many people would be too torn up when people are so spoiled for choice for electric cars from both startups like Lordstown and Rivian as well as traditional automakers finally putting actual effort into making them that they no longer have to tolerate an asshole like Elon Musk to get one.

Well someone just got blocked. Have a nice life, sir.

Never a dull moment with Tesla. Now they're suing the US government over the tariffs on Chinese-made auto parts, joining lawsuits previously filed by Ford, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo.

Tesla this week sued [PDF] Robert Lighthizer, the US Trade Representative, and Mark Morgan, acting commissioner of the US Customs and Border Protection, accusing them of “unlawful imposition and collection of certain duties on [Tesla's] imported merchandise from the People’s Republic of China.” The lawsuit, which demands the tariffs be declared null and void as well as its money back, was filed in the US Court of International Trade in New York.

So other manufacturers did the same thing, yet Tesla is the problem child? Am I missing something?

Not sure where you're getting "problem child" from that post. I see "never a dull moment", which seems like a reasonable reaction to that news. In fact "never a dull moment" is a pretty apt description of Tesla all around.

Not sure where you're getting "problem child" from that post. I see "never a dull moment", which seems like a reasonable reaction to that news. In fact "never a dull moment" is a pretty apt description of Tesla all around.
But we're still picking on Tesla here, even though they were not the first to do it. Where's the article about the others? Is that news worthy here too?

But we're still picking on Tesla here, even though they were not the first to do it. Where's the article about the others? Is that news worthy here too?
It's linked in the article I referenced, but here it is.

And since this is apparently important, the never a dull moment remark was regarding this coming directly after the shareholder conference Tesla just held, implying there was a lot of activity coming out of them recently. Personally I'm quite glad that they're standing up to what has become a harmful and childish vendetta leveraged for political gain, but since I didn't want this to derail into yet another pro/anti Trump slapfight, I chose to present the article without comment. Your interpretation of that is entirely your own.

20200924_143026.png

There's nothing inherently bad about that.

I don't much care for Musk or his base, but I think it's mostly a good thing for them to get in on this because it puts some force behind it where that may have been lacking previously. Musk being attached gets people talking.

It's linked in the article I referenced, but here it is.

And since this is apparently important, the never a dull moment remark was regarding this coming directly after the shareholder conference Tesla just held, implying there was a lot of activity coming out of them recently. Personally I'm quite glad that they're standing up to what has become a harmful and childish vendetta leveraged for political gain, but since I didn't want this to derail into yet another pro/anti Trump slapfight, I chose to present the article without comment. Your interpretation of that is entirely your own.
That's not how your post came across.

Non existent? Are you blind?
I'm not. My eyesight is actually quite good (20/16 as of my last exam, which is to say that I can see in 20 feet what the average person sees in 16), and so is my reading comprehension. Maybe fire off some other insults because that one was pretty wide of its mark.

That which you most recently took as criticism isn't criticism at all. As criticism goes, it was nonexistent. The idiom isn't used in that manner, either as a convention (see the definition I've provided above as a courtesy) or in the specific instance that has you upset.

Back