Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,521 comments
Another Tesla fatality.

Information is scarce at the moment.

My completely unfounded speculation:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.411..._Oog8GmlvqYok5UrQECg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

If the driver was using autopilot, I bet it became confused by the road striping that is in poor condition. It followed one or the other as the wrong lane extent, causing it to drive straight down the middle of them, right into the gore barrier at the end.

On the other hand, the driver could have been completely in control and it was just an accident. Judging by the damage to the car, it does appear it was a direct, head-on impact with the gore divider....not something I believe would happen if a human was in control and fully functioning.

Tesla's Bonds are in Freefall

Tesla's financial situation is looking increasingly dire. The new roadster & the semi truck were obviously supposed to be life lines via deposites, but it doesn't appear to have worked. Debt holder seem to be genuinely spooked...which will make issuing more debt that much more difficult. It seems the only option left is for them to sell equity in the form of a stock offering. But that will dilute the value of the stock and reduce the total company valuation in addition to giving off the perception that the company is in panic mode.

I read one analysis that Tesla is burning through $6,500/min right now. :scared:

The new roadster & the semi truck were obviously supposed to be life lines via deposites
I'm shocked. Shocked I say.
Hey! Hey! Guys! Look over here! No, not at our huge losses and production struggles! Look at this shiny red thing! It's fast! Oh and hey, would you mind putting down a $50k-$250k deposit on one? We're a bit short on cash at the moment.
...okay, maybe not that shocked.

Another Tesla fatality.

Information is scarce at the moment.

My completely unfounded speculation:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.411..._Oog8GmlvqYok5UrQECg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

If the driver was using autopilot, I bet it became confused by the road striping that is in poor condition. It followed one or the other as the wrong lane extent, causing it to drive straight down the middle of them, right into the gore barrier at the end.

On the other hand, the driver could have been completely in control and it was just an accident. Judging by the damage to the car, it does appear it was a direct, head-on impact with the gore divider....not something I believe would happen if a human was in control and fully functioning.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-last-week’s-accident

Autopilot was engaged. From their description ("The driver had about five seconds and 150 meters of unobstructed view of the concrete divider"), I think my speculation was probably correct.

edit: local source:
-Driver had complained about autopilot veering towards that barrier before.
-White lines could have caused the accident

I would say realistically, 60% of the blame is on the driver (should have been paying attention), 25% on Tesla (should have followed lanes properly), and 15% on CalTrans (should have fixed the barrier). But Tesla is not going to come out of this unscathed.

Last edited:
I think he might just do it. He's made crazy sudden decisions before (like deleting the SpaceX facebook page) and selling flame throwers. :P

Good for him. Now he'd be able to say stupid things on twitter again with no consequences.
Even ignoring that particular benefit it feels like a good move. It'll hopefully allow them to concentrate on actually building cars, it'll take Elon's mind off short-sellers which should hopefully cut moronic tweeting by 50%, it'll amusingly screw those short-sellers who are admittedly quite annoying, and it'll hopefully remove some of the Tesla fanboys' ammunition whenever anyone dares criticise the company for any legitimate reason, since those criticisms can no longer be down to short-sellers.

It has - it went up to $380 from $320 - and that's very bad news...

... for Musk, because if he doesn't now do it, he'll now face an SEC investigation for manipulation of the market.
Yeah, I saw that story. While it's a risk, and Musk's behaviour is erratic enough it's not outside the realms of possibility, I'd be surprised if he tripped over something that seemingly obvious.

Yeah, I saw that story. While it's a risk, and Musk's behaviour is erratic enough it's not outside the realms of possibility, I'd be surprised if he tripped over something that seemingly obvious.

Apparently, he does take Ambien and drinks wine with it. Considering it turned Rosanne into a racist, I'm guessing it could turn Musk into a market manipulator. Maybe Ambien just brings out your true colors?

I am curious how he's planning on making this work though, unless of course, he has some additional funding from some government like China or Saudi Arabia.

He really should take it private, it would end so much nonsense going on and just let Tesla focus on building up the company... or Elon runs it into the ground :lol:

He probably is. Knowing him I'm sure he's just letting things sizzle a couple days for the publicity and then they'll make the switch.

Meanwhile, Tesla's chief money man has packed up and left after a month on the job, and Elon was filmed smoking weed while doing a podcast.

screenshot_musk_spliff.jpg

Just... damn.

I haven't watched that, but he literally took one puff and gave it back and stated that he doesn't smoke.

Hardly anything to make waves about.

I haven't watched that, but he literally took one puff and gave it back and stated that he doesn't smoke.

Hardly anything to make waves about.
Maybe not on it's own, but it doesn't exactly make for a pleasant image when two of your company's top people have just resigned. The article also says the head of HR bounced shortly after the CAO's announcement.

Maybe not on it's own, but it doesn't exactly make for a pleasant image when two of your company's top people have just resigned. The article also says the head of HR bounced shortly after the CAO's announcement.
Bounced for reasons that have nothing to do with the podcast.

Bounced for reasons that have nothing to do with the podcast.
My point is more that openly doing something that's still considered socially controversial when high-ranking people are leaving the company in a short amount of time presents a bad image to the people who are putting money into said company. The fact that Tesla stock dropped almost 10% yesterday after all of these events happened can't be handwaved away so easily, and I can't help but feel that at least some of that damage would have been mitigated if Musk didn't take such an IDGAF attitude towards what goes on around him.

To be honest, I personally wouldn't care about any of this if it didn't run such a high risk of damaging the electric vehicle industry. The Fisker debacle already put off any meaningful government investment in the technology, and if private investors lose faith in a high profile company like Tesla I doubt they'd be willing to take a chance on a smaller, lesser known company.

You should rather ask what is Musk's master plan instead of Tesla's master plan.

Back