Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,521 comments
When does the Roadster come out? Does it risk making the range appear as "S3XRoadsterY"?

Model Y teaser.

2d84e83e-tesla-model-y-teaser-p.jpg

Not sure why Tesla is bothering with a teaser. I'd be surprised if it doesn't basically look like a cross between a 3 and an X.

I'm more interested to see how things play out in terms of the hatch style. Will it be a more upright style like traditional crossovers in this segment or will it use a fastback style adopted by the Model 3 and X?

If it ends up being the latter, doesn't that make the Model Y more of a direct competitor to the Polestar 2 which also features a (slightly) raised ride height and crossover-style cladding?

Oh, look, another car that will be poorly built, have supply chain issues, and have a price many thousand more than it's advertised for.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-...ers-for-35-000-version-of-model-3-11551392059

Another reason I'll never buy a Tesla... It's already annoying enough that I have to drive over 250km to see one not in traffic since they don't go to the local Edmonton Motor Show, but when even going on a 3+ hour drive to Calgary won't be a option?

I would much prefer the dealership model to this.
They have always sold their cars online. Not sure why anyone thinks anything has changed.

They have always sold their cars online. Not sure why anyone thinks anything has changed.
Yeah, but you could go into a Tesla gallery and actually see the $35k-120k car you want to buy in person before it's delivered.

I've never seen the inside of a Tesla before, the idea of buying a something for over $35k and never even seeing before hand is absolutely stupid. Especially because all of the **** I've heard about the quality of them.

I can go to the local auto show in less than a month, test the driving position, how much I can see, how much room in the backseat, how room in the trunk, poke around in the interior of nearly every model of every brand from a Fiat 500 to a Lexus RX500hWhatever.

I can go around to dozens of local dealers and do the same and if interested request a test drive to know how it feels to drive.

With Tesla's model I have to buy the car, wait for it too arrive, then have a week to test drive it(?) to see if I like it and if not have to try to return it, get my money back, etc etc

The process of test driving a Tesla from I can find out can take weeks and so much nonsense.

Other than dealing with sleazy business men, like, I dunno, including gas savings as part of the displayed price, the Tesla sales model is pretty ****.

Then there's the issue of having shops nearby capable of working on them...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-...ers-for-35-000-version-of-model-3-11551392059

Another reason I'll never buy a Tesla... It's already annoying enough that I have to drive over 250km to see one not in traffic since they don't go to the local Edmonton Motor Show, but when even going on a 3+ hour drive to Calgary won't be a option?

I would much prefer the dealership model to this.

News emerged some hours ago that Tesla made a U-Turn on their decision to go online only, but there is a catch...
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/106274/tesla-to-increase-prices-by-an-average-of-3

Yeah, but you could go into a Tesla gallery and actually see the $35k-120k car you want to buy in person before it's delivered.

I've never seen the inside of a Tesla before, the idea of buying a something for over $35k and never even seeing before hand is absolutely stupid. Especially because all of the **** I've heard about the quality of them.

I can go to the local auto show in less than a month, test the driving position, how much I can see, how much room in the backseat, how room in the trunk, poke around in the interior of nearly every model of every brand from a Fiat 500 to a Lexus RX500hWhatever.

I can go around to dozens of local dealers and do the same and if interested request a test drive to know how it feels to drive.

With Tesla's model I have to buy the car, wait for it too arrive, then have a week to test drive it(?) to see if I like it and if not have to try to return it, get my money back, etc etc

The process of test driving a Tesla from I can find out can take weeks and so much nonsense.

Other than dealing with sleazy business men, like, I dunno, including gas savings as part of the displayed price, the Tesla sales model is pretty ****.

Then there's the issue of having shops nearby capable of working on them...

If you're really interested, check out turo.com. There are a ton of model 3s listed near me that are going for about $120/day. There's a Model S for $80/day, and a Model X for $150/day. I know you're not really interested, but if you were serious, that'd be a good way to really get to know the car.

For folks like myself, who don't buy new cars, test driving the various car models can be problematic. None of the cars I buy ever have on-demand test-drives available. I end up just driving particular used examples (you could do that too, test drive a used one for sale), or going someplace like carmax or a particular dealer that has a whole host of them that I'm interested in cross-shopping. Turo is another option. I'm thinking about renting that 996 911 near me for a day.

[Trigger warning: The post below contains trace amounts of Tesla skepticism, which will likely be taken as Tesla bashing by some parties]

So really, the $35,000 Model 3 is a $40,000+ Model 3 being subsidized by Tesla sales staff (they're losing money to make the M3 cheaper) and all other Tesla buyers (they're spending more to make the M3 cheaper). I don't think Tesla has really achieved a $35k M3. They are just pushing the books around to accommodate selling the M3 at almost no profit, or even at a loss. (Part of me thinks it would be cool if Tesla made the $35k M3 akin to those flee-spec pickups - unpainted bumpers, small steel wheels, considerably less interior features. A true poverty package. But that would clash wildly with their brand image, so the route they've taken makes a lot more sense.)

While I'm not a huge fan of the products themselves (or business practices), I do really, really like Tesla's selling approach of small galleries with a few cars for demonstration, non-pushy staff, and direct sale. I hope this isn't dead, because it is, IMO, Tesla's great contribution to the automotive industry right alongside the supercharger network. These two infrastructural elements are functionally what separates Tesla from the rest of the EV players and even what makes them 'futuristic' - it's not the big touch screens. The gallery near me is in an upscale outdoor mall (directly across from the apple store of course) and the staff there are very friendly and welcoming. They don't care that 95% of the visitors (maybe less, it's a pretty wealthy area) have no intention of buying a Tesla. They just want to see what they're all about and the staff is more than willing to accommodate that. This kind of attitude is a nice contrast to the pushy & negative feeling you get at most dealerships, especially premium brands.

Here it is

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

blue-hero-desktop.jpg

Model Y is an all-electric, mid-size SUV designed for maximum versatility and safety. Model Y will start at $39,000 for the Standard Range version, and will also come in Long Range, Dual-Motor All-Wheel Drive, and Performance variants.

Model Y is spacious enough to carry seven adults and their gear and offers leading range, superior performance, and the most advanced technology. The high-efficiency powertrain and ultra-responsive motors will provide 0-60 mph acceleration in as little as 3.5 seconds and a top speed of up to 150 mph, with excellent handling for any road condition. Model Y Standard Battery will have 230 miles of range, while Model Y Long Range will be able to travel up to 300 miles on a single charge.

Inside, Model Y's panoramic glass roof and high seating creates a feeling of spaciousness and offers an expansive view from every seat in the vehicle. The front trunk and split-folding second-row seats provide a total of 66 cubic feet (1.9 cubic meters) of storage space. Like Model 3, Model Y requires no keys, but instead connects to your smartphone for seamless entry and exit, with a single 15-inch touchscreen interface inside for all of the car's controls. Model Y also connects with the Tesla Mobile app for unique, easy-to-access features like remote unlock, Summon, remote pre-conditioning, location tracking, Speed Limit Mode, and much more.

Model Y is designed to be the safest mid-size SUV. Built from the ground up as an electric vehicle, the low center of gravity, rigid body structure and large crumple zones provide unparalleled protection. Its aerodynamic design and leading battery technology also make it highly-efficient in terms of energy usage, meaning you can achieve better range with less energy than other EVs on the market. Model Y is also compatible with our current Supercharger network of more than 12,000 Superchargers in 36 countries, as well as our new V3 Superchargers which can charge at rates up to 1,000 miles per hour.

Deliveries are expected to begin in Fall 2020 for Model Y Performance, Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive, and Dual-Motor All-Wheel Drive variants, and Spring 2021 for the $39,000 Model Y Standard Range. Please visit our Design Studio to see available options and current delivery estimates.

cq5dam.tinypng.1440.auto.jpg

original.optimized.jpg

safety_hero%402.png

original.optimized.jpg

https://www.tesla.com/presskit#modely

EDIT:

tesla_model_y_3454.jpg

tesla_model_y_price_specs.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/14/...ncement-price-release-date-features-elon-musk

EDIT 2:
7 seats is a $3,000 option!!

upload_2019-3-15_3-6-29.png

And doesn't even appear until 2021!! Wow.

upload_2019-3-15_3-7-4.png

https://www.tesla.com/modely/design#battery

Last edited:
7 seats is a $3,000 option!!

upload_2019-3-15_3-6-29-png.806733
Same price as the Model X for 7 seats

I want to see how 7 seats even works, surely it can't be suitable for someone with a head.
I thought they were going to do it like the Model S with rear facing rumble seats but they showed a pic of the 7 seat interior during the presentation
modely-7-seats.jpg

Last edited:
If the goal was to make something that could actually seat 7, why did they give it such a stupid looking roofline? Even the center seats look like people would only fit in them because it has glass instead of interior paneling.

That live reveal was just cringe to watch Elon talk about things everyone already knew about and did not care to hear.....

That live reveal was just cringe to watch Elon talk about things everyone already knew about and did not care to hear.....
That's like every single press event, such as Porsche's reveal of the 992 or Nvidia's reveal of new graphics cards. It's just to be expected at those sort of events

That's like every single press event, such as Porsche's reveal of the 992 or Nvidia's reveal of new graphics cards. It's just to be expected at those sort of events

Musk seems more cringe-inducing though, mainly because it's hard to separate fact from utter BS.

Yes, but they have people that know how to speak to an audience. Elon Musk on the other hand is just cringe inducing listening to him speak. This is why I'm a fan of Tesla the company but anytime Elon Musk opens his mouth I get immediately put off. I know he means well but no, he needs to keep it short, simple and to the point when he talks publicly at events like these.

I've always been of the opinion that the guy is so brilliantly minded that he sometimes struggles to describe things in layman's terms so the average Joe can understand it. Comes across as a minor stutter. I've seen people ask him really nerdy questions in the past and it's amazing how efficiently he can spit out the answer.

Back