Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,521 comments
Seeing the Model Y in that blue they keep showing it in makes it look like a 2019 Focus with the grille smoothed over. I get that they're going for a certain design language but can they not make the cars look a little bit more interesting? I've seen more exciting Dacias.

Seeing the Model Y in that blue they keep showing it in makes it look like a 2019 Focus with the grille smoothed over. I get that they're going for a certain design language but can they not make the cars look a little bit more interesting? I've seen more exciting Dacias.

Nope, stop it. That's how we end up with this nonsense:

588_ctrnew_2.JPG

Nope, stop it. That's how we end up with this nonsense:

588_ctrnew_2.JPG

He has got a point though, a considerable number of manufacturers are offering a "Sport Line" variant of cars and the majority of new luxury cars I see are fitted with the sportier appearance package.

Tesla can stick with the conservative styling for those who like it, but I would certainly appreciate variants which look more exciting.

10% of Tesla's Automation division - including several software engineers - have departed the company following the promise that Full Self Driving would be ready and available by the end of next year. Given that Musk has taken direct charge of the division recently, some are speculating that he was getting rid of people who don't believe in the aggressive timeline he's set.

Not the end of the world, but losing people when you're in a rigid timeframe like that is far from ideal.

10% of Tesla's Automation division - including several software engineers - have departed the company following the promise that Full Self Driving would be ready and available by the end of next year. Given that Musk has taken direct charge of the division recently, some are speculating that he was getting rid of people who don't believe in the aggressive timeline he's set.

Not the end of the world, but losing people when you're in a rigid timeframe like that is far from ideal.

Layoffs are tricky. On the one hand, you can get rid of people who aren't pulling their weight, and those people can be identified if management is doing a good job. In that respect, layoffs just make room for better results, because better people can be brought in to replace them. In some cases, a small fraction of people actually harm the productivity of the rest, so layoffs can actually improve output.

The counter-point is that layoffs damage the morale of the entire company, which can suck productivity across the board.

It's really hard to know from the outside whether it's a good move.

Layoffs are tricky. On the one hand, you can get rid of people who aren't pulling their weight, and those people can be identified if management is doing a good job. In that respect, layoffs just make room for better results, because better people can be brought in to replace them. In some cases, a small fraction of people actually harm the productivity of the rest, so layoffs can actually improve output.

The counter-point is that layoffs damage the morale of the entire company, which can suck productivity across the board.

It's really hard to know from the outside whether it's a good move.
All true, though it's also no secret that Musk is a very difficult boss to work for, and his style of management involves a lot more people reporting directly to him instead of to department heads or other pointy-haired boss types. It wouldn't surprise me if his response to any concern or criticism about that timeline was to just point to the nearest exit door.

That said, 18 months to get FSD not only functioning but safe enough to satisfy federal regulations is... pretty ambitious, to say the least.

That said, 18 months to get FSD not only functioning but safe enough to satisfy federal regulations is... pretty ambitious, to say the least.
I mean the story from a couple weeks ago of the guy asleep at the wheel in a Model 3 that went over 30 miles without him being conscious is impressive. I wouldn't doubt that they are that far off from accomplishing that goal.

It's going to lose to the Porsche, obviously. But I guess if it can present what people consider to be a respectable time then Tesla is hoping that buyers will not consider the Taycan to be worth the extra $$.

Did they fix the issue with switching to low power mode after 3 minutes?

They're going to need to make a lot of power charging stations in the middle of know where for those trucks I'm guessing.

Did they fix the issue with switching to low power mode after 3 minutes?

They're going to need to make a lot of power charging stations in the middle of know where for those trucks I'm guessing.
The Model 3 never had that problem because it's battery is totally different. I imagine they've upgraded later-production Model Ses with similar hardware.

As for the trucks, The existing Supercharger network already extends across the US along the interstates. As for truck stops, they also exist everywhere along interstates. Tesla is already working on installing next-gen Superchargers in places accessible to the trucks. Plus, the main purpose of the trucks are for short-haul service meaning they won't really need charging along the road early in their use. They'll simply charge at the beginning and end of their journeys. That's why companies like UPS and Walmart have ordered a bunch, because they can just install a few chargers right there at their depots and be done with it.

I wonder how big of an advantage the Porsche has on a high speed track purely because of it's 2 speed gearbox. I've never driven a Tesla, but they must surely start to run out of puff after 120mph or so, based on the motor's torque curve and lack of additional ratios. The Nurburgring is a pretty fast track and most of the Tesla's performance tricks are in the sub-60mph range.

I can't see Tesla going to the Nurburgring without somehow "beating" the Porsche, no matter how contrived the victory is. It's the Elon way. Claim victory no matter what. Maybe they'll do some convoluted test with the Supercharger network. Maybe they'll set the "standing" lap record (as in from 0mph instead of the customary flying lap). Maybe they'll set the fastest "loaded" sedan lap with 5 people in it? Maybe they'll set the fastest "driverless" sedan lap on autopilot? It's gonna be something like that, if anything at all. Elon has a neurotic drive not to make the best car (that's very hard), but to create a perception that all others are inferior and his army of followers are keen to help.

Last edited:
I wonder how big of an advantage the Porsche has on a high speed track purely because of it's 2 speed gearbox. I've never driven a Tesla, but they must surely start to run out of puff after 120mph or so, based on the motor's torque curve and lack of additional ratios.

The Tesla actually has 2 speed as well. Different ratios for front and rear.

A small lip spoiler and some good tires? Do we even know what was on the Porsche? Could be an equal tire.
"We don't think we stand a chance with the Model S equipped as standard, so let's equip it beyond standard."

I like the tape on the leading edge of the spoiler and the plexi wickerbill.

"We don't think we stand a chance with the Model S equipped as standard, so let's equip it beyond standard."

I like the tape on the leading edge of the spoiler and the plexi wickerbill.

Yeah, and what other manufacturer hasn't done that? We all know they get pretty cheeky when it comes to these lap records.

Only Porsche knows that.
But we know that Tesla isn't. And that's kind of the point. The Model S doesn't punch in the Taycan's weight class; they're different cars. That should be fine, but it's sent Elon into a fit.

But we know that Tesla isn't. And that's kind of the point. The Model S doesn't punch in the Taycan's weight class; they're different cars. That should be fine, but it's sent Elon into a fit.
I think he's more curious than anything. So am I.

Here's the current theory:

They're probably testing out a future "track pack" for the car that'll be made into production. It's highly likely based on how obvious and pre-production looking the mods are. Anyways, who knows what kind of custom power delivery software the car is running there. Odds are the Porsche probably had some software modifications too.

Back