Tesla Model 3 General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 593 comments
Motor Trend had a photoshoot with the Model 3.

Tesla-Model-3-at-Gigafactory-1.jpg
Better than the press pics, but the proportions still look weird, like someone has buggered about with the aspect ratio of pictures of the Model S. And it still needs some sort of redesign at the very front.

They will need to or the later people put a deposit down, the longer they'd have to wait.

Which is why I consider this VERY good news, since I intend to put down a deposit in the near future. This means I could be the owner of a Model 3 before I'm a senior citizen. :P

Looks like Tesla is aiming at going full capacity more or less within the first year of production of the 3, meaning 500.000 cars a year - spanning the entire model range.

http://electrek.co/2016/05/04/tesla-tsla-surge-model-3-production/

That's good and fine, and all the more power to Tesla if they can do it, but there's a lot going against them here.

Not only do they need to get the Gigafactory up and running...
  • They've gotta get the supplier chain freed up significantly, otherwise, severe delays will happen again ala the Model X
  • Fremont, NUMMI, whatever you want to call it... Will need to be significantly overhauled in the next 14-16 months to get to the potential 500k units, as it stands today, the factory has never reached a number that high
  • It is still reasonably likely they won't be able to reach a number high enough to meet current demand... And if they do, there will likely be a model that won't be able to meet market expectations, no matter where they shift priorities
  • They still can't sell their cars in all 50 states. I feel like that should be a bit more of a priority at this point

Dan
They really need something to break up the front. :ill:

We'll be fine in the UK then, our front plates will take up most of the middle of the bumper. They change the way the Model S looks somewhat:

Thurs-11.10am-EDIT.jpg

Spotted one of these on the road the other day. I think it's a fairly ugly vehicle. Not the most ugly thing in the world, but not Model S hot either. It's kinda bloated and golf-carty. I don't know how to describe it exactly but it's very... electric vehicle. The nose is not the worst part of the car. The worst part is the prius-like proportions.

Spotted one of these on the road the other day. I think it's a fairly ugly vehicle. Not the most ugly thing in the world, but not Model S hot either. It's kinda bloated and golf-carty. I don't know how to describe it exactly but it's very... electric vehicle. The nose is not the worst part of the car. The worst part is the prius-like proportions.

Just kidding, what I was looking at was the model X. I found it again this morning. The X and the 3 look very similar in photos, but the roof height was definitely more SUV. I'm surprised at how little ground clearance the X has - made me think it was the sedan. I officially have no interest in the X.

Last edited:
Just kidding, what I was looking at was the model X. I found it again this morning. The X and the 3 look very similar in photos, but the roof height was definitely more SUV. I'm surprised at how little ground clearance the X has - made me think it was the sedan. I officially have no interest in the X.
I saw a couple Model X's while in San Diego over the weekend. I would say the Model 3 is really a mix of the Model S and the Model X, hence it's funky looks.

Tesla announced today that the Model 3 will have to pay to use the supercharger network and the cost of using it will nearly be the same as the cost of fuel! So unless you can make your journeys on one charge or have free charging places buying the 3 might not be such a great deal.

The number of pre-orders are set to tumble then. Perhaps this is Tesla's way of saying they don't have the capacity to meet (current) demand for the Model 3.

Tesla announced today that the Model 3 will have to pay to use the supercharger network and the cost of using it will nearly be the same as the cost of fuel! So unless you can make your journeys on one charge or have free charging places buying the 3 might not be such a great deal.

But having free power was one of the major selling points of EVs. This is disappointing and I wish Tesla informed customers before preorders were announced.

Dan
But having free power was one of the major selling points of EVs. This is disappointing and I wish Tesla informed customers before preorders were announced.

I have feeling of any of the pre-order customers knew of this, a good percentage wouldn't have even considered plopping down their money.

Last edited:
Is Tesla a smart company or a dumb company? You have to know that the word "supercharger" is taken for cars. You know that calling a network of charging stations for cars by the same name will lead to confusion. Is it a marketing ploy to get you to feel like your EV is getting supped up to go fast? Or is it just laziness that ultimately will make people scratch their heads when you say "I bought the supercharger for my Tesla".

Is Tesla a smart company or a dumb company? You have to know that the word "supercharger" is taken for cars. You know that calling a network of charging stations for cars by the same name will lead to confusion. Is it a marketing ploy to get you to feel like your EV is getting supped up to go fast? Or is it just laziness that ultimately will make people scratch their heads when you say "I bought the supercharger for my Tesla".
I have never confused it with anything other than what it actually means, "fast charging". But I am an auto junky, I can see how your average citizen may confuse it. Though I wouldn't expect the average citizen to know what a conventional supercharger is either.

I have never confused it with anything other than what it actually means, "fast charging". But I am an auto junky, I can see how your average citizen may confuse it. Though I wouldn't expect the average citizen to know what a conventional supercharger is either.

Sure, if you know what each one is by name then you can keep it sorted out pretty easily. But why, why use the same exact term in an automotive area that is already used? It can't possibly lead to good things unless you're actually doing it on purpose to evoke some sort of imagery. I hate this stuff when it comes to language. "And then it's on the left, right? Right."

If you're paying close attention you can figure it out, but why create NEW terms that are obviously going to step on old terms?

Is Tesla a smart company or a dumb company? You have to know that the word "supercharger" is taken for cars.

Cell phone companies have used "supercharger" and "turbocharger" for their charging systems for a few years now, all rebranding of Qualcomm's Quick Charge stuff. I do wonder if Tesla decided to go hand-in-hand on that one, particularly if people are seeing it when they open up a new Motorola box.

Source?

I just can't get over how much I hate this car.

It's weird squishy, CUV, hatchback design, the useless trunk, the terrible, lifeless interior.

The whole thing is a soulless creation.

I just can't get over how much I hate this car.

It's weird squishy, CUV, hatchback design, the useless trunk, the terrible, lifeless interior.

The whole thing is a soulless creation.
Design isn't final. Musk said the designers are "pencils down" in 6 weeks.

Actually, nothing has changed from their original plan.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/newly-reserved-tesla-model-3s-will-not.html

“Today’s website update doesn’t reflect any change in our plans,” Tesla said in a statement. “We still plan to begin Model 3 deliveries in late 2017, and we adjusted the date on our marketing page to reflect more accurate timing for new/future reservation holders.”

Back