Tesla Model 3 General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 593 comments
I'm hoping for a new sports coupe, though when your 4-seater sedan blows many supercars out of the water, I guess they won't feel the need.

Nah, that's crazy. If you want one of those, get a Miata. They need to make a cheap car on a smaller platform. Like a penny board instead of the skateboard. Cars like the Bolt and Volt suck because they don't have that great, spacious, flat skateboard platform like the Teslas do.

Tesla is not competing with car models. They're competing with car platforms. Their biggest competition will actually be BMW with their composite frames. BMW's technology is so revolutionary because they can actually go back to body-on-frame production will all kinds of flexibility. Tesla enjoyed this with S and X, but now will need something they can use for 3. But perhaps they've made the front and rear skateboard assemblies so that they can just swap "decks" to use whatever powerpack frame they feel works for whatever model. Who knows-- guess we'll find out tomorrow.

The way Tesla has decided to pretty much copy Oneplus' invite system rubs me the wrong way. Especially when they say they'll prioritize existing customers first.

"Hey, here's our new, affordable model for the masses. No no no! Let the people with deep pockets and a Tesla already in their driveway go first. Peasants..."

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/reserving-model-3

I like the product, but dislike the whole Apple-esque cult following they've amassed. It's quickly becoming an iPhone on four wheels.

Yeah, this isn't like the Porsche or Ferrari scenario where those are the only people who get cars. Allowing employees and existing Tesla customers to order their Model 3 first is just a loyalty thing - the masses can follow afterwards, if they're so inclined.

However, I do dislike the Apple-like cult mentioned. A lot of Tesla people I encounter do seem somewhat indoctrinated into the brand. In some ways I can understand - traditional powertrains, for example, do feel pretty slow and unsophisticated after driving a Model S (or even most other EVs). But the way in which Model S owners will dismiss the feel, quality, chassis dynamics etc of some rival vehicles is a bit much. The Model S is a neat car, but massive touchscreen aside it doesn't come close to matching the interior ambience or driving feel of something like a Panamera. And realistically, the standard of interior trim is no better than something like an A4 or Jag XE.

It's great being able to offer Autopilot and updates while you sleep, but as Tesla grows, it'll need to work on more traditional aspects of automotive quality too.

Model 3 may have new 65kWh battery pack which will give it a 225-mile driving range.

And this could be it? Maybe? Kinda?

TeslaModel3FirstOpen.jpg

If that's what it looks like, I guess we're not expecting much styling departure from the Model S or X.

Edit: Tree'd.

It seems to have inherited some Model X on the side profile with the bold low crease. I bet the front will also be smoothed rather than with a black oval. I'm suprised Tesla haven't released a facelifted S yet to bring it in line with the rest of the range.

It seems to have inherited some Model X on the side profile with the bold low crease. I bet the front will also be smoothed rather than with a black oval. I'm suprised Tesla haven't released a facelifted S yet to bring it in line with the rest of the range.
Yeah the Model S is due for a fresh face anytime now.

You're right. The line from the bottom of the a-pillar and all the way back to the taillights is almost identical to the X.

teslax-gallery1-1024x576.jpg

That said, I hope they opt for a different grille and fender design. Not the biggest fan of the Model X's front end.

I feel like I'm the only one in the world that feels every Tesla is incredibly bland.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in terms of how a car should look like. Tesla uses classic design traits and proportions found in both Jags and Astons, which makes it pleasing to the eye, but maybe not the most exciting car to look at.

Tesla to me is something that I've always been tempted into investing into but not always completely sold with. Hopefully this time around I'll be soundly convinced.

I've found Tesla to be a game changer in overcoming the stigma attached to EVs. I hope the Model 3 is priced competitively against the 3 Series/A4/C Class/XE crowd. They just need the Supercharger network expanded more across the UK.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in terms of how a car should look like. Tesla uses classic design traits and proportions found in both Jags and Astons, which makes it pleasing to the eye, but maybe not the most exciting car to look at.

The proportions? Really? What Jag or Aston has these proportions?

2016-tesla-model-x-static-profile1-600-001.jpg

tesla-s-profile.jpg

Aside from the Aston Martin Rapide I do not see proportions related to Jaguar and Aston Martin, especially not classic Jaguar and Aston Martin.

The Model S has a lot more in common with this, in terms of proportion:

3975204.jpg

Aside from the Aston Martin Rapide I do not see proportions related to Jaguar and Aston Martin, especially not classic Jaguar and Aston Martin.

The Model S has a lot more in common with this, in terms of proportion:

3975204.jpg

Never really noticed that before. Sort of weird that I hate the design of that 300, yet like the Model S' design.

If thats the real deal than what on earth was that leaked image posted further up the page :lol: I think that might have been a photoshop job if you look at the bonnet below the windscreen.

Back