Tessellation car list

• Thread starter emula
  • 129 comments
On the one hand, great find and I appreciate the work that's going into making a list.

On the other, now something that pretty much nobody noticed before is unacceptable...

I will readily admit that the level of detail acheived is impressive, amazing and unbelievable.
But again, is it really much point?
Except the car modelling team aren't the game designers or Akihiko Tan the physics guy.
No, but let's see what do we need to hire? A game coder or a 3D modeller? Let's hire 500 modellers and sack some of our already overworked coders.

EDIT: Oh and I was in no way berating the OP, it was indeed the game's focus on this I find baffling. The work done to show this in the thread is time well spent, however

I will readily admit that the level of detail acheived is impressive, amazing and unbelievable.
But again, is it really much po

No, but let's see what do we need to hire? A game coder or a 3D modeller? Let's hire 500 modellers and sack some of our already overworked coders.
Hiring 500 modellers is ludicrous.

What car's interor is shown in the first post with the clock? Looks familiar. (And the depiction of the stitching is incredible.)

What car's interor is shown in the first post with the clock? Looks familiar. (And the depiction of the stitching is incredible.)

Is the Peugeot RCZ '10

PS updated car list in first page with evaluation of these cars:

Audi Sport quattro S1 Rally Car '86 ★★
Audi R8 LMS ultra '12 NO
Ford 2013 Aric Almirola #43 Farmland FORD FUSION ★★★★
Ford 2013 Carl Edwards #99 Fastenal FORD FUSION ★★★★
Ford GT '05 NO (this car is a complete copy-paste of the FordGT '06 from GT5... :grumpy:
)
Pozzi MotorSports Camaro RS ★★★★
SUBARU BRZ R&D SPORT '12 ★★★★

Last edited:
Funny thing I discovered, the Fairlady 300ZX '83 is tesselated. Yes, its standard car got tesselated rather than the huayra. I'm serious, see it for yourself ( Focus on the texture of the car not the logo or the lights )

Funny thing I discovered, the Fairlady 300ZX '83 is tesselated. Yes, its standard car got tesselated rather than the huayra. I'm serious, see it for yourself ( Focus on the texture of the car not the logo or the lights )
Textures aren't tessellated, as such, so I presume you mean the bodywork.

I'm not surprised by that, though; and I think that, more than anything, shows that it's just a case of getting around all of the cars in order to enable the process.

Textures aren't tessellated, as such, so I presume you mean the bodywork.

I'm not surprised by that, though; and I think that, more than anything, shows that it's just a case of getting around all of the cars in order to enable the process.
My bad. Its the bodywork and also the tires, not the textures.
Anyway, its actually shocking how smooth it is compared to, more famous, Ruf CTR Yellowbird. You can even see the gap on the boot.

Last edited:

I've checked, unfortunately there is no tessellation anywhere, but it's still a very good premiumized standard

PD will probably up the quality of the old premiums for the PS4 to match these newer ones.

To think I thought they all looked humongously detailed.

After doing some digging, Tessellation is a process aka tiling, it is dynamic and flows both directions as I suspected. It's not some sort of add-on, it's a rendering process that takes a 3D mesh and and its silhouette edges based on control parameters (often camera distance). This is supposed to give smooth transitions based on view distance hence it's implementation in GT6 but I'm not convinced the process is easy on the PS3. Well all those asking for it to be on PS4 are kind of asking rudimentary questions as it's just a rendering process and I believe that both the PS4 and Xbox One have tiling built in on GPU instruction set. If this process was working flawlessly, we'd never know it but that's just aging system already being pushed being pushed harder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessellation_(computer_graphics)

What I am thoroughly convinced about is that PD 3D artists are top notch, the amount of detail in those cars are borderline insane. Only developer that can match are the Slightly Mad Studios, you have to see their cars to believe it. Now only if PD would have the same the lacking areas in the game, we'd have a thousand less threads of complaints.

I might be wrong but I don't think it's normally called tiling, the link to tiled rendering inside that Wikipedia page is very misleading, I don't get why it's there, tiled rendering doesn't have anything to do with tesellation of 3D surfaces.
But I do agree with the rest of the post.

Last edited:
PD will probably up the quality of the old premiums for the PS4 to match these newer ones.

To think I thought they all looked humongously detailed.
I remember when I thought GT HD cars looked good enough:

FiTFNgK.jpg

a few years later we have this:

N6qtPrT.jpg

Most of this is way over my head, but a question for those who understand this tessellation.

Is tessellation what causes cars to change appearance depending on how close to them you are (talking about other players' cars in an online lobby)?

With many cars, when you see them at a distance, they appear completely stock. But once they cross a certain threshold, they change to their true appearance. In other words, a car with a body kit on it will look stock at a distance...but the body kit magically appears as soon as you get close enough. Same with stock wings that have been removed.

Not sure if all cars do this, but I've noticed it most with the body kits on the premium ISF and Silvia K's Dia, along with the wing on the standard Mustang SVT.

The same thing happens with visual damage. Even if visual damage is turned off, when you see a car at a distance, it looks like a beat up PoS...but as soon as it crosses that magic threshold, BAM!, it looks like new.

I'll also add, great work on the OP. The photos are amazing.

That said, I agree that all of this eye candy is a waste of time and resources when other aspects of the game (physics, content, features, new car models, updating standards, etc) still seem so incomplete.

I buy GT games for the driving experience, not so I have a pretty screensaver for my TV.

It's sort of related to LOD(Level of Detail) but the best example is using illustrator versus photoshop. If you draw a straight line in photoshop, the more you zoom in, you will start to see that the line is all jagged when you start to see the pixels that make up the line. If you draw a straight line in illustrator, you are just setting two points and the program will draw the line for you between those two points. If you zoom in on illustrator, the line might get thicker but you won't see the jagged pixels because the program dynamically draws the line so you are not holding any pixel data.

Tessellation is the version of this for polygons, 3 point triangles that make up the car models. so like photoshop, the car models without tessellation, when you zoom in on a part, you will start to see the polygons that make up the car models. With car models that use tessellation, just like Illustrator, where it dynamically/procedurally generates the shape, so even when zoomed in you don't see the polygons. So eg for the head lights, instead of the program drawing polygons to make up the circular headlight, it just knows to draw a circle there, so no matter how far you zoom in, the head lights always have that perfect circular shape.

Most of this is way over my head, but a question for those who understand this tessellation.

Is tessellation what causes cars to change appearance depending on how close to them you are (talking about other players' cars in an online lobby)?

With many cars, when you see them at a distance, they appear completely stock. But once they cross a certain threshold, they change to their true appearance. In other words, a car with a body kit on it will look stock at a distance...but the body kit magically appears as soon as you get close enough. Same with stock wings that have been removed.

Not sure if all cars do this, but I've noticed it most with the body kits on the premium ISF and Silvia K's Dia, along with the wing on the standard Mustang SVT.

The same thing happens with visual damage. Even if visual damage is turned off, when you see a car at a distance, it looks like a beat up PoS...but as soon as it crosses that magic threshold, BAM!, it looks like new.

I'll also add, great work on the OP. The photos are amazing.

That said, I agree that all of this eye candy is a waste of time and resources when other aspects of the game (physics, content, features, new car models, updating standards, etc) still seem so incomplete.

I buy GT games for the driving experience, not so I have a pretty screensaver for my TV.

Last edited:
It's sort of related to LOD(Level of Detail) but the best example is using illustrator versus photoshop. If you draw a straight line in photoshop, the more you zoom in, you will start to see that the line is all jagged when you start to see the pixels that make up the line. If you draw a straight line in illustrator, you are just setting two points and the program will draw the line for you between those two points. If you zoom in on illustrator, the line might get thicker but you won't see the jagged pixels because the program dynamically draws the line so you are not holding any pixel data.

Tessellation is the version of this for polygons, 3 point triangles that make up the car models. so like photoshop, the car models without tessellation, when you zoom in on a part, you will start to see the polygons that make up the car models. With car models that use tessellation, just like Illustrator, where it dynamically/procedurally generates the shape, so even when zoomed in you don't see the polygons. So eg for the head lights, instead of the program drawing polygons to make up the circular headlight, it just knows to draw a circle there, so no matter how far you zoom in, the head lights always have that perfect circular shape.
That is the best, most understandable, explanation of tessellation I've ever read. 👍
Wish I'd read this when first learning about tessellation.

I think that the "tassellated" ones are drawn using "nurbs", that generate a variabile amount of polygons.
It's only a helpful analogy, to say that tessellated surfaces are like vector drawings, and non-tessellated surfaces are like raster images. Especially when tessellated surfaces could just as easily act like raster images themselves, depending on the technique used or what controls you feed it. Actually, I'd say that tessellation is like an interpolated / smoothed image, e.g. when zooming, creating a softer / more rounded result, but doesn't actually add any detail (as you can't without supplying more data).

Tessellation, as a group of techniques, are just ways of adding and / or removing polygons from a mesh dynamically and on the fly - as such, you can do a broad range of things with it. That's why you need to look at what is actually happening.

It's highly unlikely that PD would have authored the models using NURBSs, since there would be just as much work again creating a polygon mesh to import into the game, effectively doubling their workload. Loading raw NURBS files into the game would require a polygon mesh to be generated anyway (for rendering purposes), and then you're looking at automated schemes which are inherently flawed vs. a human's attention.

Perhaps in the future, asset authoring might shift to a non-discretised method (like NURBS, perhaps), but I think there's a lot of work to do on that front first.

Updated car list in first page with evaluation of these cars:

Abarth 1500 Biposto Bertone B.A.T 1 '52 ★★
Audi R18 TDI (Audi Sport Team Joest) '11
Subaru S206 NBR CHALLENGE PACKAGE '12 NO
TOYOTA 86 "Racing" '13 NO
Toyota 2013 Denny Hamlin #11 FedEx TOYOTA CAMRY ★★★★
Toyota 2013 Kyle Busch #18 M&M'S® TOYOTA CAMRY ★★★★
Toyota 2013 Matt Kenseth #20 Dollar General/Home Depot TOYOTA CAMRY ★★★★
Toyota 86 Race Car Base Model '12 NO

Last edited:
Excellent job, emula. The premiums with tessellation are definitely ready for next gen and beyond, I just hope it can be applied to the older premiums too.

Although some people complained that PD wasted too much time on car models, IMO it was a smart decision to go with ultra-high detail cars on the PS3 because they can use most of PS4's power on other aspects of graphics (lightning, reflections, environments etc), since the car models can be simply carried over.

Although some people complained that PD wasted too much time on car models, IMO it was a smart decision to go with ultra-high detail cars on the PS3 because they can use most of PS4's power on other aspects of graphics (lightning, reflections, environments etc), since the car models can be simply carried over.

There are definitely benefits in future proofing, that's for sure. I can't wait to see how some of these premiums look in GT7s engine, as we've seen with the transition from Forza 4 to 5. PD may even be able to achieve parity between in-game models and full-LOD photo mode ones.

Back