Test Drive Unlimited Playstation 2

I'm considering buying this game, pretty much just to cruise around and have fun in supercars, so how is it in that regard? Some questions I have:

- Is there a decent amount of tight, twisty roads, as well as high-speed stretches? This especially got me excited, but I hope it's not the only road like it:

- How about closed-circuit race tracks? I thought I heard a while back that there was one.
- Are the cool tunnel echoes retained from the 360 game?
- Is this car list 100% accurate?
- How many cars can the biggest garage hold, and is it possible to own all the cars in the game at once?
- And most importantly, how are the driving physics? Similar to another PS2 racer?

The game altogether is a very solid game which should keep you busy for hours. The open ended theme works well and you don't always have to race. Cruising online is most likely the best feature of this game. If you buy it, preferably it's better to have the online capabilities. I rate the game a minimum 8/10, it is simply amazing. Although the PS2 edition lacks many cars and features which are on the PC and 360 version, it is still definitely worth the buy. There are all types of roads in game. There are many long, highways and freeways which are fun to drive high speed on or if you need to get somewhere fast. But, sometimes the off-ramps are way too confusing, so I'd advice using the GPS to start with. The coastline seems to have the straight, "Cruisy" type highways with spectacular views. If you're looking for the bendy, narrow fun up-hill/down-hill style road, look near the middle. It is a perfect blend of roads and the array of roads will never let you down. You will get excited when you see the astounding number of roads in game. There is one closed circuit in game which is not that long or hard. It's not a very big feature and the races there aren't so good as a closed street race. Don't expect much from the track. For some reason today, the YouTube video dosen't work. The tunnel echo is not emphasised alot, but it's hard to explain, frankly. The car list you posted is 100% true, all the cars on list are in game. But don't trust the "Top Car" they posted, most of the cars in each class perform nearly the same. It is mostly personal preference. The biggest garage is slightly irrelevant, but to simply answer the question it is 10. You must own all cars to earn the 100% mark. If I remember correctly, you can own every single car about 3 times to fill up all the garage spaces in game. You don't need every house to get all cars. You will earn all houses after racing a tournament. The physics are, well, not that great. It is slightly typical arcade style physics so don't expect a full on GT4-like experience racing game. The physics are a slight let down but they are very easy to get used to after a while. The overall TDU experience is very well put together and the aim of the game is well, nothing. It is simply a chance to drive your favourite car around the island with the scenery behind you. Graphics wise, everything is very saturated and boxy but honestly I don't care. It isn't aimed at a full on, hardcore racer, it's meant for people who just enjoy driving. The game packs in many great features too, like car interiors (which are modelled almost perfectly?), garages, car showroom etc. All in all, the game is a must buy, you will not be let down.

If you're reading and liking my comments, you'll love the game yourself! ^_^ No motorcycles, none of a few other makes, I hear of lag in online games... it's otherwise a great and immersive racing game. It is about having fun on city streets enjoying cool cars and owning some nice houses. I recently moved into a 10-car house in the game and working to get one of those more expensive 10-car houses that have that garage with the glass roof and the palm tree in the middle (Green Valley comes to mind). I haven't played it over the weekend, so not much new to report.

^All of that said, though, it compares, apparently, in no way to the Xbox 360 version of the game. Something about it being graphically bland or something... I didn't want to watch the video that compared the two console versions of the game, because I didn't want to know what I was missing. If you have played the Xbox 360 version (sounds like you may have), you may want to dig that video up; it was posted about a page or two ago in this thread. If you're fine with the graphical downgrade, then full speed ahead!

But, that monologue aside, I do, indeed, like the game. I just know that the PS2 is some really weak hardware in this era. I'll only upgrade to PS3 when GT5 comes out.

This especially got me excited, but I hope it's not the only road like it:

4.6 miles of completely deserted, fiendishly twisty and steep, tarmac.
It is the only deserted road like that, but I've begun to notice there are many houses with 8-car garages around $310,000 with 1-2 mile mini-touges attatched to them, and they're just as fun, if not better for some of them, because you can now just have a quick sprint through the minitouge before teleporting to your next race.

The western part of Oahu Island and the Foothills are great for drifting. Those roads are wider compared to some of the roads Japanese drifters illegally raced around on mountain roads. If TDU's driving model was more of an aggressive rally racing model, then I'm sure it would be great fun to have a tarmac rally through Oahu Island. Those three races out in western Oahu around the twisty mountain roads can be pretty tough. Especially considering that you're racing with supercars. Supercars on twisty mountain roads at full song can be difficult to win in any game.

The physics are, well, not that great. It is slightly typical arcade style physics so don't expect a full on GT4-like experience racing game.

I'm definitely not expecting a simulator, but I do want 'fun' physics, like in NFS Hot Pursuit 2.

The western part of Oahu Island and the Foothills are great for drifting. Those roads are wider compared to some of the roads Japanese drifters illegally raced around on mountain roads. If TDU's driving model was more of an aggressive rally racing model, then I'm sure it would be great fun to have a tarmac rally through Oahu Island. Those three races out in western Oahu around the twisty mountain roads can be pretty tough. Especially considering that you're racing with supercars. Supercars on twisty mountain roads at full song can be difficult to win in any game.

I should know all about that. There are many great drifting roads in TDU, many of which are pointless to drive on with supercars. If you want a tip for going around the corners faster, take a slower rear wheel drive car. It will help.

I just found a copcar parked in a tree.

WTF?

Ya there are many glitches with traffic. Diablo and I found a car which simply kept driving in circles...until I rammed the crap outta it :lol:

I'm definitely not expecting a simulator, but I do want 'fun' physics, like in NFS Hot Pursuit 2.
They are fun physics. Don't hesitate to buy, it won't let you down ;)

This post has nothing to do with playing Test Drive Unlimited. However, the latest edition of Speed Channel's "SuperCars Exposed" featured some of the supercars from Test Drive Unlimited in Hawaii. I'm assuming Oahu Island. Like... I can relate to doing this! The cars featured on the show were the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, Ferrari F430 (not sure which version, Ferrari's AWOL in PS2 version), and the Ford GT. I don't think most of the drivers have 900,000 Master Points (not even Tanner Foust (host of "SuperCars Exposed")).
I saw that the other night, and TDU is exactly what I thought of.

Update:

That copcar seemed to have a sort of katamari effect; another capcar drove by on the road a good 400ft away, and, when I looked back, cop #2 had shot from the roadway to a valiant pose directly above the first one, at slightly more severe angle. It looked like a freeze frame of two dolphins jumping over one another. Graceful, actually, despite the shadows suspended in mid-air.

There are a few cars I want to buy, but I don't want to find out that they're also prize cars later. So, I ask: Is there an event where you win (A) Either McLaren F1, or (B) the Mercedes SLK 55? Obviously, I want a McLaren, escpecially since I'm now a millionaire, (and... I want to fix that, pronto?) and I want that Mercedes because I once saw in a race lineup some Mercedes whose name included "6.1 Displacement Increase," and that just seems cool. But anyway, I don't want to end up with multiples of the same car. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

There are some machines from the XBOX 360 versions I wished would be in the PS2 version. All based on this list:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/928101/44832

--- Machines I'm Surprised Not to See in the PS2 Version of TDU ---
* all motorcycles
* Dodge Challenger Super Bee
* Dodge Charger R/T
* all Ferraris
* all Audis that didn't get into the PS2 version
* Volkswagen Golf R32
* all Lexus models
* Cadillac CTS-V (normally dislike Cadillac, but slowly loved this car)
* all RUFs
* Wiesmann Roadster MF3
* all TVRs
* Farboud Supercharged GTS Prototype
* Edonis V12
* the McLaren F1 GT and McLaren F1 LM
* Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR

I'm not really sure if there are some other places like look like car companies that just didn't make it into the PS2 version. Like I saw a YouTube video of one of the Kawasaki motorcycles, and it was parked at a Lexus dealership before it took off. It's still a great experience for what it is.

I think most people who have the PS2 version to miss what is not included on the PS2 version. But what can we do now? It's still a great game anyways 👍

I think I've changed my mind; I'm getting TOCA Race Driver 3 instead. I used to be hesitant about the game because it seemed to be much more focused on off-roading and not have enough road racing, but now that I look at the track list, it's just amazing. The car selection looks pretty good (Ferraris, Lambos, and Porsches! - even if they are under different manufacturer names), there's the awesome damage Codemasters is known for, and up to 21 cars on the track at once! I'll just hold off on TDU for when I eventually get a 360.

They AREN'T under different company names. Koenig and Gemballa made their own versions of otherwise recognizable cars. You can still have Lamborghini in the PS2 version of TDU. I've had a Murciélago for the longest until I traded up for the McLaren F1 LM. ToCA RD 3 (no matter what anyone says in defense) sometimes have AI that's worse than Pro Race Driver. Only difference? You can restart races and not fear losing any points or feeling like you HAVE to win. Rent the PS2 version of TDU at a store or something. You might still like it.

As far as any updates go, I tried my first super-long race. I did a time trial that lasted about 10 miles with gold at about 12:55. Add to it that there was traffic and the off-road penalty, means that I was going to be tested racing my McLaren F1 LM. I still managed to win by over a full minute despite my off-road penalty. I also (finally) won a Koenigsegg CCV8(?). But since I had enough money, I traded up the Koenigsegg I won with the Koenigsegg CCR. I even got one in blue and gold. Blue outside and then the blue/gold combination in the interior. Blue and gold are my "team colors." My favorite blue color of all cars in the game is Viper Blue for the Caterham CSR 260. I do still feel a bit sad that there's no custom paint styles. I would even open the possibility to redo interior painting.

My current percentage of completion is 43% with about 779,045 Credits.

I completed my first of the super-long races. I did "North to South" in my maxed-out McLaren F1 LM. It turns out that going for long distances isn't as long as it seems. It took me about maybe 13:55 to clear the North to South race. It's a race from Diamond Head to Oahu Golf lasting 46.7 miles with traffic on the road. At times, it seemed like I can absolutely pull away and capitalize on the mistakes of others. My game plan for ANY race on a long-distance track is to keep mistakes to a minimum and pull away early. That's what I tried to do. I was very fortunate to see some of the other racers get into trouble with traffic. For the most part, I enjoyed pulling away and going at over 246 mph going from one coast of Oahu to another. When I started getting back into a more urban area, I started to screw up a lot. I still managed to clear this track.

Something I just learned is that I can simply free roam without always having to go to a race. I turned off Auto GPS when the Coastal Dream came up. I now know that I can actually free roam without having to go to a race. So what I decided to do was explore the island for some car dealers that can't be accessed. There is a car dealer in Hickham Village 0.8 miles west of the Pontiac dealership called Oahu Cars. I'm not sure if this is a car dealer that can be accessed in other versions of Test Drive Unlimited, or if this may be one of the motorcycle dealers or dealers of cars from brands not featured in other versions of TDU. It may also just be a regular car dealer that you can just get into to park your car and enjoy a nice day. I think I'm at 47% completion. Or, I may be halfway done with this game as of this post!

Yeah turbz, Ive played this on everything it came out on and trust me the ps2 lost a LOT of content.

Ahhh dammit, I was on a page from a year ago...

How many hidden buildings are there? Are they just homes?

@ 50%, 1.3mil Master Pts

*EDIT* - scratch that about the homes; I just won them all. Now that I've finished all the normal events, I'm going after the clubs. Looking through the 'Allowable Cars' list for the North Shore Automobile Enthusiasts club, there are five cars I haven't seen on any dealership list:

- Mercedes SLK 55 AMG Performance Package
- Mercedes SLK 6.1 S capacity increase
- Mercedes SLK B 55 S
- Nissan 350Z NISMO R-Tune
- Nissan 350Z NISMO R-Tune Power

How do I get them?

Currently 78%, 2.1mil MP

*EDIT 2*

Figured it out; cool idea to name the tune-ups like that.

Last edited:
I got this game the other day. I was VERY impressed with the game (i like cruising :dopey:) but disappointed you can't use the wheel for it or the right analog stick for the pedals, 9/10.

I love TDU! I've had it for a while now, and I have found I like cruising (fast) more than racing, like most people here.

Has anybody noticed that the cops call you b*******?

I love TDU! I've had it for a while now, and I have found I like cruising (fast) more than racing, like most people here.

Has anybody noticed that the cops call you b*******?

Yeah. When i get stuck behind a cop at a traffic light, he reverses and goes everywhere, once he even backed off the road and into a pole. The worst thing is, if he backs into me, i get arrested. :( It seems the police are the worst drivers than anyone. :boggled: Also, you only get booked for speeding if you're doing over 200, wtf?

Also, how do you sell a car? I can't find how.

Another thing, the strangest thing happened the other day. We were in a race and the game didn't load part of it and the AI cars stopped and i drove into space and fell. The map was blurry so i assume it was a DRE.

I have owned this on all the platforms it was out on over the last couple of years and PC is by far the best BUT, the ps2 version was great considering the processor etc they had to work with. I was dreaming of TDU 2 but it look as though that isnt happening. I really just want it on PS3 cause the 360 died a while ago.

So you can sell a house but not a car. :ouch: 👎
No, you can sell a car for half the buying price.
The easiest way to sell one is to try to buy a car that you can't, and it will say, "Do you want to sell cars?" Then you can sell your car. Also, when you select a car in your garage, I think there is an option that says "sell". I hope this helps.

*BUMP*
Does anyone know if the servers are down
It fails to connect every time I play this (only occasionally now) and the same happens on the psp version
Allyn

Back