TH8 RS Shifter Thread!

  • Thread starter Thread starter sandboxgod
  • 1,971 comments
  • 443,066 views
If you think of any ideas for an alternative source? :D Let me know, would like to copy your idea. :)

I'm thinking you could use any grommet that has a "slit" and cut it to size for the space.
 
I'm thinking you could use any grommet that has a "slit" and cut it to size for the space.

Thanks, I'm understanding now, you used something like this:
66249.jpg


I'll see what I can find at the hardware store. :)


Edit:

@ blown540ci,

Thank you. :)
 
Last edited:
Thanks, I'm understanding now, you used something like this:
66249.jpg


I'll see what I can find at the hardware store. :)


Edit:

@ blown540ci,

Thank you. :)

Bingo, make sure they are really thin though so they don't interfere with the shift travel. Cut them and then goop them in place. than lay gorilla tape over that.
 
So you put rubber at the end of all the gates, and this gets rid of the plastic feeling you get when you're shifting into a new gear?

By this I mean when you're hitting the plastic piece at the top of every gate.
 
Yup. You still get the metal feeling of the gate entrance without the cheepy feel of the end of the gate as it mildly thumps into rubber. Much more realistic IMO and feels more like the tranny in my real car.
 
Maybe you could let me know where I could get those rubber pieces that will fit onto the plastic "teeth"
 
There is no plastic, its the metal gate of the TH8. Any thin rubber grommet will do, just cut it with scissors. The picture above is a good example of a grommet. You have to try it, one of my friends doesn't like it because it doesn't make as much noise. The others do.

Experiment, thats the fun part. :)
 
Essentially it'd be a bit like this, when I was using rubber stoppers to reduce the fore-aft throw.
fore-aft_reduction.jpg


However, I believe the issue Hoodfield has (correct me if I'm wrong) and myself too, is that the custom aluminium plates have this tendency to make mince meat of the TH8 RS' plastic sleeve if it's not filed/sanded down to remove the sharp cut edge. Even when filed and sanded down, I still get some bits coming off the heatshrink tubing (I don't use the original plastic sleeve) I'm using. A rubber sleeve that goes around would be nice.

Anyway, better filing, smoother sanding definitely helps. While not perfect...yet...there's no way I'd go back to the original plate. :)
 
However, I believe the issue Hoodfield has (correct me if I'm wrong) and myself too, is that the custom aluminium plates have this tendency to make mince meat of the TH8 RS' plastic sleeve if it's not filed/sanded down to remove the sharp cut edge. Even when filed and sanded down, I still get some bits coming off the heatshrink tubing (I don't use the original plastic sleeve) I'm using. A rubber sleeve that goes around would be nice.

Anyway, better filing, smoother sanding definitely helps. While not perfect...yet...there's no way I'd go back to the original plate. :)

This is what has been working for me, pen cap. :D

img0077sx.jpg
 
That's pretty ingenious, Hoodfield. 👍
 
Love ideas like this! Form fits function and cost minimal 👍
 
Just FYI, Amazon has the TH8RS on sale for like 137.xx. I got an email last night notifying me of the price drop.
 
Don't know if everybody has had a chance to see my latest creation. :p

DSCF0574.jpg
 
yeah dude, that thing is sweet, did you manage to screw the ring on that shifter? look so good, make me wanna pick up another set of that shifter
 
Yes the ring is on securely. Just waiting for my new screens to arrive to take more pics.
 
Thanks man, a ton of planning, measuring, sourcing, cutting, fitting, money, etc goes into these mods. Glad some people enjoy them.

I'm currently designing my own rig. Doing some drawings now.
 
The shift boot and short shifter looker amazing. Mine's still stock for now, about a month of usage and haven't regretted one second purchasing this shifter.

Great pics Mayaman

edit; I just noticed your handbrake too! Bloody amazing work
 
The shift boot and short shifter looker amazing. Mine's still stock for now, about a month of usage and haven't regretted one second purchasing this shifter.

Great pics Mayaman

edit; I just noticed your handbrake too! Bloody amazing work

Thanks bud, I have his short shift plate under that boot as well. Its brilliant. Great work on his part.
 
I've tried going through the thread, who sells the short shifter plate here? I'd be interested in that one for sure.

Found him, sent him a pm. Hopefully he has some left :D
 
Last edited:
I've tried going through the thread, who sells the short shifter plate here? I'd be interested in that one for sure.

Found him, sent him a pm. Hopefully he has some left :D
PM replied. Yep, I do have both the short shift and handbrake plates in stock 👍
 
So finally got my hands on one. How do you see what revision it is. It just say version 1 on mine?

For once it´s just about as I expected from the H-shifter. It appear impossible to miss a gear and it´s not quite as slow as it looks like since gear engage before full travel. Maybe not as quick as the SST Lightning shifter but more consistent on these unskilled hands I would imagine :)

Feels like a perfect companion for hte G25/G27. Maybe I would feel it would be on the soft side for wheels with stronger force feedback. However as of now I am not even touching the tension screw.
 
btw tried the sequential plate now but the analogue brake is still greyed out. Is it not supported in 64-bit oses yet?
 
You don't use the sequential plate for handbrake. you use the 7 speed plate turned on its side. Get a handbrake plate from itrdc5 dude.
 
Did someone find out what the thread/pitch size was on the shifter stalk/rod/shaft?
 
hmm handbrake wasn´t even covered in the manual no wonder I missed it. Got it working now. What settings do you use in RBR?
 
Back