TH8 RS Shifter Thread!

• Thread starter sandboxgod
  • 1,971 comments
United States
Texas
sandboxgod
Ok this is a thread dedicated to the TH8 RS which is a new shifter made by Thrustmaster that should be able to work with any wheel on the Playstation 3 / PC as long as the game supports the feature as announced on the product page

used with the PS3™, the gearbox is compatible with racing wheels (including the T500 RS) and games (**) that have been developed to be compatible.

TH8RSproduct.jpg

There is also a mod to use this shifter with Fanatec wheels on consoles by interfaceone. See this thread

Thrustmaster is striving to make a top quality shifter. Below is a video of the shifter during Research & Development whereas they put the shifter through a rigorous resistance test

Inside Sim Racing got a chance to play with an earlier version of this shifter and Tommy Haake hinted this might be the best shifter on the market.

Below is the latest footage uploaded by Thrustmaster of the shifter in action

This is another video of a GT Academy Winner testing out the new shifter and giving his thoughts

Last edited:
it seems absolutely perfect.

I'm not so sure about that. This shifter seems a lot like the RS shifter how it just pulls the lever into gear on its own. The SST Shifter still has this thing beat as far as realism is concerned as you have to push it into the gear and can feel it engage.

ibuycheap
I'm not so sure about that. This shifter seems a lot like the RS shifter how it just pulls the lever into gear on its own. The SST Shifter still has this thing beat as far as realism is concerned as you have to push it into the gear and can feel it engage.

not sure we are watching the same videos.
also funny how you compare it to sst without ever trying one.
and contradicting the fact that SRT has tried both and obviously gave the upper hand to TM.

TM knows what they are doing and im sure it will piss on every single shifter in that price range.
this is quality stuff just like their wheel.

This dang thing better work extremely well. I doubt it will displace my ActLabs from the PC, but it can only be better than the clunky poorly performing Fanatec on the PS3.

All thats left is to have a decent shifter to use with the GT2 on the XBox360 ;)

sounds like alot of people are under estimating TM despite producing a wheel comparable to wheels costing more then twice as much.

the thing is all steel and HAL sensors...
no h box will even come close to this trust me

sounds like alot of people are under estimating TM despite producing a wheel comparable to wheels costing more then twice as much.

the thing is all steel and HAL sensors...
no h box will even come close to this trust me

I doubt the shifter will feel as close to a real car setup as the wheel does, simulating hte friction of a wheel is a lot easier than simulating the mechanical motion of a manual transmission.

I am expecting it to be "good" but not amazing. The upside is that TM has as their only real competition in the PS3 space, the G25/G27.

The Fanatec shifter is truely pathetic - which leaves the ActLABS the best bet in the PC space, hopefully the TM will get the job done for the PS3.

RC45
I doubt the shifter will feel as close to a real car setup as the wheel does, simulating hte friction of a wheel is a lot easier than simulating the mechanical motion of a manual transmission.

I am expecting it to be "good" but not amazing. The upside is that TM has as their only real competition in the PS3 space, the G25/G27.

The Fanatec shifter is truely pathetic - which leaves the ActLABS the best bet in the PC space, hopefully the TM will get the job done for the PS3.

its actually easier to replicate a gearbox then two front tires digging into the ground.
all you need is a device that vibrates and locks the gearbox if no clutch is used.

dont know why you make it so ps3 specific as it will be the same thing on ps3 and pc.

Looks like this will be a great product and a great looking one too. Love the way it can be fitted/positioned and angled with its attachment.

Testing seems to have been a fundamental part of this products development so let's hope they have aced the feel. You would think they would have tested Frex/Act Labs shifters to get a reference in what to achieve or better?

Compatibility on PS3 needs to be fully clarified though and I look forward to someone on the forums here doing a compatibility list for PS3.

Holy ****! I was never interested in shifters (those plastic crap)... But this one! Damn if that works with the GT2 wheel, GT5 and FM4, I get this one, hell yeah!

In the 2nd video, in minute 3, what game is that guy playing? Looks great!

Last edited:
its actually easier to replicate a gearbox then two front tires digging into the ground. all you need is a device that vibrates and locks the gearbox if no clutch is used.

dont know why you make it so ps3 specific as it will be the same thing on ps3 and pc.

Ok, where is this magical "vibrates and locks the gear box if no clutch is used" device?

This TM shifter sure is not goin to be it, is it? There has been no mention of force feedback in this shifter - or did I miss the mention of force-feedback in this shifter?

And I hate to contradict your opinion, but it is far easier to replicate the FEEL you get through a steering wheel wih mothers, belts and wheel rim, than to replicate the FEEL you get from a manual transmission shifter. Especially when it comes to the FEEL of a non-sequential manual transmission car.

The T500RS FEELS a lot closer to this, my own track car, in the steering wheel department than any shifter will fee,l unless it has some kind of focefeedback and electronic solenoid lock in and out of gear control.

When coupled with properly coded FFB and decent game engines the T500 can FEEL a lot like a real car on a track - I am not expecting the TM shifter to FEEL as close to a real shifter as the wheel does to a real wheel - that doesnt mean it wont be good for game controller device, but it aint gonna feel like a real shifter ;)

Thanks for the thread, I hope this one doesn't get closed.

No problem, I made sure to check with a moderator (EDT) before starting the thread to get permission. I just had to make sure to indicate this shifter can be used with any wheel 👍

Holy ****! I was never interested in shifters (those plastic crap)... But this one! Damn if that works with the GT2 wheel, GT5 and FM4, I get this one, hell yeah!

In the 2nd video, in minute 3, what game is that guy playing? Looks great!

The shifter will only work with PS3/PC so unfortunately it won't work with FM 4. There is a device that will allow you to hookup an SST Lighting Shifter up to a Fanatec. Check out this thread. Btw the game he is playing appears to be rFactor, an excellent PC-only sim.

Last edited:
RC45
Ok, where is this magical "vibrates and locks the gear box if no clutch is used" device?

This TM shifter sure is not goin to be it, is it? There has been no mention of force feedback in this shifter - or did I miss the mention of force-feedback in this shifter?

And I hate to contradict your opinion, but it is far easier to replicate the FEEL you get through a steering wheel wih mothers, belts and wheel rim, than to replicate the FEEL you get from a manual transmission shifter. Especially when it comes to the FEEL of a non-sequential manual transmission car.

The T500RS FEELS a lot closer to this, my own track car, in the steering wheel department than any shifter will fee,l unless it has some kind of focefeedback and electronic solenoid lock in and out of gear control.

When coupled with properly coded FFB and decent game engines the T500 can FEEL a lot like a real car on a track - I am not expecting the TM shifter to FEEL as close to a real shifter as the wheel does to a real wheel - that doesnt mean it wont be good for game controller device, but it aint gonna feel like a real shifter ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhF_sLc7SMU">YouTube Link</a>

obviously you would need a game that first and foremost SUPPORTS it....

and no simulating what two patches of rubber are doing together with suspension, chassie flex etc you name it is FAR MORE complicated then creating a highly realistic H-box..

it will FEEL like the actlabs only 10 times better and 10 times more quality..
two completely different budgets here..

one looks homemade, the other, highly professional.

i dont know what you drive irl but the t500 or any other wheel is extremely far from reality still...

The shifter will only work with PS3/PC so unfortunately it won't work with FM 4. There is a device that will allow you to hookup an SST Lighting Shifter up to a Fanatec. Check out this thread. Btw the game he is playing appears to be rFactor, an excellent PC-only sim.

Thanks 👍

I have rfactor 1 and played it a lot 2-3 years ago... Must be improved because the graphics look very good...

Here we go again.....
Please get a grip on reality.
Does your utterly brillant ACT LABS do all this?
No it doesnt so stop making pointless comments about your real world "track car" or real racing compared to a "mantoy". Someone your age should have more sense tbh. Already it seems your so against this product so at least give it a chance eh.

What is interesting is if this shifter will be better than the aging ACT LABS and if it does better it that will please plenty of people. ISR have also been impressed by it and you will see their review in the near future.

As for FFB in a gearstick or brake/clutch. Such could be implmented but as stated would need software support. It is however possible to convert mechanical movement that activates audio operated "Buttkicker/Tactile" immersion. I achieved this over a year ago with my own testing/experimentation using a set of CSP. The effect can be controlled and changed depending on the audio "sample" used (not the ingame audio) and altered in volume/strength of vibration in relation to the of amount movement.

So it is possible to add more tactile feel/sensation to such devices, it is just that companies dont seem to see the need to or think their is a market for it.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised at how little force it takes to engage gears, judging by that Beta Testing Video. The guy is literally flicking it around like it's a G2x, I truly was expecting it to require much more force with a positive engaging feeling...
Well, hopefully I'm just seeing things and I'm looking forward to picking it up. When does it release again?

Looking at that video, I was also expecting it to have more resistance than it seems to have. Of course it is too early to make any conclusions, especially because TM's website says that resistance is adjustable. Maybe it was at the lightest setting there ;)

yes its dynamic in terms of resistance.
a good tip when looking for new stuff is to actually read about them on their homepage..

yes its dynamic in terms of resistance.
a good tip when looking for new stuff is to actually read about them on their homepage..

Ya, I actually didn't catch that, I seems that maybe the resistance was set to the minimum in order to present how smoothly the mechanism "flows". I have no doubt that this will feel as solid as the wheel.

that is my guess aswell, just showing off the shifting and how the box reacts :)

i think you will be able to set resistance to more then you really want even if you like alot of resistance,
TM with a big budget can produce some wonderful things..

I believe it was mentioned that the resistance is fully adjustable as well as the throw into each gear. This shifter looks fantastic and am happy to hear it will work with all wheels. I did read that right, right?
The inclusion of hall sensors makes this product extremely versatile in setup.
I am very curios to see thomas and fanatecs response to this, but i dont know if they can compete. Shame because i love their products, but if this shifter is compatible with all wheels then TM may just be getting some of my money. I will wait till the css is out first tho.

Curios to know :
How will this be connected to a fanatec/logitech wheel on ps3. Will we need an adapter or will the shifter utilize the usb port and be registered as a secondary controller. I am hoping it is an adapter as I like using my rig mounted move navigation controller for navigating menus and such.

Glad to see the shifter get the thread it deserves.

Edit: right from the product page;
F ull adjustability:
-Upgradable firmware and internal memory with adjustable gear-shift travel (downloadable software on PC)
-Adjustable resistance when changing gear

But it still doesnt specify how it will tether to the ps3.

Last edited:
obviously you would need a game that first and foremost SUPPORTS it....
So your comment about rattles and gear lockout was totally POINTLESS in relation to the TM shifter - thanks ;)

and no simulating what two patches of rubber are doing together with suspension, chassie flex etc you name it is FAR MORE complicated then creating a highly realistic H-box..
Reading comprehension "pal". The FEEL of "reality" you get holding and trying to turn a wheel is easier to get from a game wheel than a game shifter.

Period.

I am TELLING you that the FEEL from the TM WHEEL (not the game feedback algorithms) is close to a real life track car.

I am also TELLING you that the FEEL from the TM shifter will NOTbe as close to that of a real track car.

Its ok - just like with the TM wheel, it will turn out I am 100% correct ;)

it will FEEL like the actlabs only 10 times better and 10 times more quality..
two completely different budgets here..
It will feel like the ActLabs only better? LOL - so IOW you ARE agreeing I am correct.

one looks homemade, the other, highly professional.
Interesting - the ActLABS I use is very good sturdy quality. Hace you even experienced an ActLABS?

i dont know what you drive irl but the t500 or any other wheel is extremely far from reality still...
I knew this would come up sooner or later - just like last time round - thats why I posted a video of myself driving my car on track mixing it up during open warmups.

The FEEL the wheel gives you is extremely close tothe FEEL my SPARCO gives me as I operate my car.

Now - what do you drive in real life so we can measure your opinion on the feel of the shifter when it arrives? ;)

I don't think hampus_dh has actually driven a car with a manual gearbox. If he has I would like to know which car seems to pull the lever into gear once it's slightly moved from center. Darin and tom were only amazed mostly by its smoothness for gameplay not realism.

Come on guys. Why does every thread turn into a chicken fight.
It is stupid to say that one shifter is better than the other when one isnt even on the market yet. Odds are the TM will be better for the simple fact they have others oit now to compare and test against their design. Act labs may be the best on the shelve right now, but the thing with being the best is eventually someone will dethrone you.
arguing-on-the-internet-bra-on-teats-on-bull-demotivational-poster-1281570485.jpg

I don't think hampus_dh has actually driven a car with a manual gearbox. If he has I would like to know which car seems to pull the lever into gear once it's slightly moved from center. Darin and tom were only amazed mostly by its smoothness for gameplay not realism.

That is what I get from their comments and demonstration. Which in and of itself is not a bad thing - it is actually great news.

Any time a game controller shifter does NOT feel junky it is a win.

The G25/27 is great but feels toy like, the Fanatec is oddly crunchy and seems to drag and bind on every shift, the ActLabs behaves like a larger version of the G25/27 without feeling toylike and has longer throws so you feel like you are playing with a more "real-like" transmission shifter and is pretty smooth but still lacks positive firm tactile "reception" of the gear being engaged.

Somehow I don't even think the TM shifter will have that (if it does then evenbetter), but will just feel like a higher-end ActLABS. Which is a good thing and is why I am willing to buy and test it out.

I am looking forward to this TM shifter, but not expecting the world.

Caz
Come on guys. Why does every thread turn into a chicken fight.
It is stupid to say that one shifter is better than the other when one isnt even on the market yet. Odds are the TM will be better for the simple fact they have others oit now to compare and test against their design. Act labs may be the best on the shelve right now, but the thing with being the best is eventually someone will dethrone you.

Which is great for consumers - after all if TM sell enough units it might incent the ActLABS folsk to commit some effort to designing a new shifter to compete. :)

No product ever "stays on top" for ever.

Here we go again.....
Please get a grip on reality.
Oh look - its the wanker that accused me of over exaggerating last time out - calling me out over my comments regarding the fan, pedals, mode button, fastners etc I made int he 1st week the wheel was out - but over time I was proved to be 100% correct in my assessment of all those items. So correct in fact that the FIRST MOD TM made to the T500RS Wheel WAS to alter the Mode button behaviour. You willing to go out on a limb again?

Does your utterly brillant ACT LABS do all this?
I dont believe I ever said it did. Its a simple eletro mechanical device that offers SOME tactile feedback at gear engagement time - nothing more, the TM could not do much more other than FEELING a little heavier and more positive in the shift action department because the shifter shaft and pivot mechanism might be made of sturdier metal components.

No it doesnt so stop making pointless comments about your real world "track car" or real racing compared to a "mantoy". Someone your age should have more sense tbh. Already it seems your so against this product so at least give it a chance eh.
Why on earth should I "stop making comparisons" to real life when every one and their uncle keeps comparing the cars in the games to real life?

The heavy weight firm feel of holding and turning the wheel of a real car on track compared to steering "your mom's Toyota Yaris around the parking lot" is a valid point of comparison when discussing in-game control with a wheel controller - so the SAME discussion point with regard to a SHIFTER should not be that much of a surprise.

What is interesting is if this shifter will be better than the aging ACT LABS and if it does better it that will please plenty of people. ISR have also been impressed by it and you will see their review in the near future.
Which is exactly what has been state previously. And since they (TM) are not supporting FFB they just have to create a sturdier and larger G25/25 shifter and make it at least as good as the AcTLABS unit.

So IOW the shifter is propably going to be streets ahead of anything else out there in terms of component quality but not be any more real feeling.

Wow - pretty much what I said in every comment I have posted about the shifter.

I get the feeling you just like to argue around what ever I post. If anything at least you are consistant yeah? ;)

I'm not even going to bother to respond to you RC45.
Your 100% right on everything and we all should just give you a standing ovation. Let's just be grateful you share your great wisdom, real track experience and time with us.

Btw the thread is about the shifter not you, oh and that's the shifter you stated was vapourware or wouldnt be made.

So your comment about rattles and gear lockout was totally POINTLESS in relation to the TM shifter - thanks ;)

Reading comprehension "pal". The FEEL of "reality" you get holding and trying to turn a wheel is easier to get from a game wheel than a game shifter.

Period.

I am TELLING you that the FEEL from the TM WHEEL (not the game feedback algorithms) is close to a real life track car.

I am also TELLING you that the FEEL from the TM shifter will NOTbe as close to that of a real track car.

Its ok - just like with the TM wheel, it will turn out I am 100% correct ;)

It will feel like the ActLabs only better? LOL - so IOW you ARE agreeing I am correct.

Interesting - the ActLABS I use is very good sturdy quality. Hace you even experienced an ActLABS?

I knew this would come up sooner or later - just like last time round - thats why I posted a video of myself driving my car on track mixing it up during open warmups.

The FEEL the wheel gives you is extremely close tothe FEEL my SPARCO gives me as I operate my car.

Now - what do you drive in real life so we can measure your opinion on the feel of the shifter when it arrives? ;)

You are certainly delirious if anything... You are the one with readong problems "PAL"...
You are trying to tell me it´s harder to simulate a gearbox then a whole front end of a car.
The T500 feels absolutely nothing like driving a real car. Games still have a REALLY long way to go before it´s not considered a game anymore....
"The FEEL the wheel gives you is extremely close tothe FEEL my SPARCO gives me as I operate my car."
You think that. But that´s in lala-land because what you do need is a VERY good physics model to ACCURATELY produce the correct forces..
There is no game or a wheel that can do that today so what you are saying is complete 100% ********.
What i drive? BMW 330i STCC Edition M-sport, what do you drive?

I´ve driven M5´s M3´s and some Porsches aswell.

Last edited:
Back