That Turn That Scares You The Most (Nurburgring)

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTFOREVER
  • 130 comments
  • 11,017 views
Depends on the car sometimes. Klostertal in LMP/Group C cars. Sometimes the edge of the outside rear tyre just clips the grass on exit, at 280+ km/h:nervous:

Next Schwedenkreuz exit leading into Aremburg’s braking zone in fast cars with low grip. Sometimes the car isn't fully settled when its time to brake. Spun the GTR there several times before figuring I didn't need to push that hard for the trophy.
 
In the game, the very last turn before the straight.

In real life, the foxhole, especially when it's wet.
 
Karussell, especially when someone is behind me; I usually get rammed and thrown out of the turn into the barrier. Pretty tricky in the Yellowbird and Caterham too.
 
Looks like it's Metzgesfeld for me. It's a gentle-looking curve, but it's also on a slight rise which makes you lose just enough grip to slide right off the track, even though your brain keeps telling you you should be able to take it flat-out.

There's the usual batch of difficult corners or the ones where tapping the curb will send you into a spin, but Metzgesfeld is the one I have to always remind myself to slow down for every single lap.
 
ZDUPH
The circled part of the following map is the part of the track that absolutely scares me and makes me clench my DS3 controller in a frantic move to keep my car under control while plowing through the turn at rediculous speeds:

The braking point for the corner after is like an illusion to me, you have to brake very early and it comes at you really fast.
 
The Carousel and the next couple of turns after the Carousel as well. It isn't that bad of the track, but if you race it on Shift with/without other drivers.......don't get me started on how scary the track is there!!!!!
 
I have three of these corners. Bergwerk is one of them. It doesn't scare me so much as annoy me every time. It's so awkward. It's a corner that you can't really describe too well, it just fells wrong. Bergwerk looks like a corner that you can take faster than you really can. Aremberg is the second most annoying. Half of the time I can't time the braking correctly and end up in the sand pits. But the corner that scares me the most, and is the bane of my existence is Schwedenkruz. If you take it flat out, you hit the grass at over 150 MPH, and there's nothing you can do at that point. But it seems like every time I let off or brake, I fell like I'm going way too slow, and it throws off my braking into Aremberg. Aremberg is only on this list because of Schwedenkruz.

Also, I'm annoyed by the last parts and first parts of the Nurb. Although if you take the last of the track correctly, it is a HUGE adrenaline rush. I'm getting more used to the first part of the track though.



~Turtle
turtle.gif
​
 
It depends on the car. Some cars I trust all the way through like with old AMG's with their amazingly squishy stock suspension.

But if I have to choose a sector, that will be the fast third gear right-left-right turns between Hohe Acht and Wipperman. Thats the only section I spent years learning in GT4. With GT5 physics it's now easier, but it's the only part of the track that makes me hold my breath. There is something about that right-left-right that makes you feel like if you messed it up every single time you go past it.

The best part for me is Fuchsrohre, right after Aremberg. Taking that section flatout and late braking in the small and narrow hillclimb before the left hand at 180mph is the best feeling. It's not that the sector is long, but because its downhill, your car can max out in seconds, that added to the fact that it's probably the narrowest sector of the whole ring makes it one of the most intense sectors. The high speed section before Aremberg is nice also.

Surprisingly enough, I don't find any problems with the Karoussell like the mayority. I learned the perfect entry-braking point almost a year ago. Again, it depends on the car.
 

The third and forth pictures I absolutely LAUGHED MY HEAD OFF!!!! That is sooo funny!!!
 

People get too excited after the long high speed section before Aremberg. I usually downshift and hold my foot (thumb) lightly on the brakes then floor it after the little crescent. That's the trick. If someone is following me in this section, is almost certain that they will get off the track. And if they don't, they sure will at Aremberg :D
 
Galgenkopf tends to throw me off when I'm not paying attention to tyre wear & conditions.
 
Using a DS3 it'd be Aremberg, with the wheel it's Karussell.
 
Schwedenkreuz, end of. Least favorite in the game. Next to impossible to guess the correct line, and if it isn't the correct line, you're in the grass and spun out for Aremberg. That said, as a result I'm never comfortable with the heavy braking for Aremberg either...

Galgenkopf is another odd one for me, as is Kallenhard. I know most of the rest though.
 
In an LMP car - the slight left-hander that 'drops' you into very quick right-left-right of Pflanzgarten. I either turn in too quickly clipping the grass on entry to the drop or the exit is too wide, back end goes light and steps out - armco-tastic!:nervous:

However, the flipside - get it right and the right-left-right of Pflanzgarten is a complete dream!!!
 
The whole last section after the carosell, as it is high speeds and I can never find a good line to go through there.
 
Flugplatz corner is annoying with "cars that lack front downforce".......you get a free flight at 250 kph.

I usually have no problems at the NS at all, but the laptimes depend much on car and setup.
 
When I'm driving a road car, there's no problem with the track, since I practice driving/racing all the time. Except if I'm driving a Speed 12 or even a ACR with 1000hp, then Flugplatz, Schwedenkreuz, Bergwerk and Schwalbenschwanz are tricky to navagate without some countersteering to aid the car and throttle control being used.

But using road cars, tuned or not, is easier compared to LMP/Group C cars. It's like a roller coaster ride from heck:scared:. The corners combined with the elevation and bumps make it really hard to push these cars to their max without spinning out or crashing to your doom:scared:.
 
this is a Great Thread guys. I see like me everyone has their corner or corners...Might I add too my original post if i'm in a high horsepower car then it is more nervy in that last section of fast turns mixed with heavy breaking after the last straight.

will never forget the time where I almost got It all wrong BUT so right lol In my tuned RUF RGT 00' after countless times going round the Ring with that Mad Rear engine car (That wants to kill you at every turn when taken fast LOL) I finally got a fast lap and all there was to do was that last part of the ring. I was low on grip on my tires (racing hards) so i'm going way above 195+MPH down Into the first left then because that MAD car is rear engine the back got way loose I was almost over steering into the next right hander but thank god for that last apex that gave me a little rear end grip so I could control it WOW i Know Its just a game but WHAT A RUSH THAT WAS my heart was beating hard and all sorts LOOOL
 
In a racecar: Wipperman, those curbs are so hard up there :mad:
Production car: Metzgesfeld, I always seem to end up hitting the grassy part on the right at the corner exit
In real life: Schwedenkreuz, so fast, so blind, so scary :nervous:
And it always reminds of this:
 
Wehrseifen - I've spinned so many times on that corner especially with high-powered cars. Little bit of gas or brake at the wrong time and you spin :)

Caracciola-Karussell - This was a nightmare with FR cars when I started to play GT5. It is still hard to get fast without spinning.
 
When I'm driving a road car, there's no problem with the track, since I practice driving/racing all the time. Except if I'm driving a Speed 12 or even a ACR with 1000hp, then Flugplatz, Schwedenkreuz, Bergwerk and Schwalbenschwanz are tricky to navagate without some countersteering to aid the car and throttle control being used.

But using road cars, tuned or not, is easier compared to LMP/Group C cars. It's like a roller coaster ride from heck:scared:. The corners combined with the elevation and bumps make it really hard to push these cars to their max without spinning out or crashing to your doom:scared:.

Speed 12 on the Ring - :bowdown:

LMP cars - agreed. Lots of throttle feathering required so as not to spin out and to conserve the tires.

@Manuelos: :tup:Wipperman kerbs can kill!!! I've found that breaking earlier than I think I need to is key to: keeping apex speed up; the line into the next corner right; and if you get the first 2 corners spot on, the 3rd corner can be flat out or nearly flat out in an LMP.

This is a great thread GTFOREVER! I've learnt a lot just reading everyone's comments.
To hell with the seasonals (apart from the circuit tours Nurbie) I want to get the Speed 12 and the Yellowbird out for a few flying lessons!!!
Cheers guys:cheers:
 
The two high speed left hand corners at Kesselchen and Klostertal are scaring me every time/lap. I find it very hard to hit the entry point and if you turn too late you hit the grass and spin or crash against the barrier. :scared:
 
That flat, fast left after the straight near the beginning. Sorry for the vagueness, I don't know what the formal name for it is.
i thing you mean this
dsc00002.jpg

Nordschleife_image_of_Nurburgring_track.png

me too mike is the scariest!!:scared:
 
Turn one after high speed straight. You just know you're going to get rammed through.
Whoops, wrong track.
 
The Carousel corner, super easy to spin out at that corner.
And I haven't managed to gold the license of that corner too.
 
[/QUOTE]


Brilliant video :D

A few little tips that I have learnt for some of you....

I won't go into the names of the corners, just give the time to be watching for on the vid above....

from 1:15: where he says brake for the little jump, that left hander, I always drop a gear, and a TINY amount of brake to settle the car, then boot it through the actual corner, works every time!!

1:48.... A very tricky corner alright, messed up a few times, but I have found that if you are agressive with the corner, 2wheels slightly over the curb, whilst braking will get you through, and at decent pace

4:03..... I hate this corner, always find it a tricky one to get right, I always drop down a gear, maybe 2 to 4th..... otherwise I find myself in the Armco afterwards :(

7:15//// I always come from the right hand side of the track, and just let the wheels ride the white line and not the curb through here, and you will be placed back on to the right hand side afterwards.

7:21.... Not found a car yet that I can take this left-right hander at full throttle, brilliant feeling through there, almost like it shouldn't be done :D then get heavy on the brakes. Job done :D
 
The left-hander before Klostertal is mine. Usually you're going between 100 and 150 mph, and you need to have your line perfect at full speed. Couple inches in either direction, and you're wrecking hard.
 
When I turn the game on. That's the scariest turn.

Edit. Ah Nurb. Sorry miss read.
 
Back