That Turn That Scares You The Most (Nurburgring)

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTFOREVER
  • 130 comments
  • 11,017 views
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Fxk7CDSmM

Jackie stewart explains several bits of the ring in 1973 -

beware - some cool music

My tough corner?

So many of them they take turns to work you over.

If I said out aloud which one was the wost, the others would gang up get me at playtime.

But... you have to factor in speed and line and the winner is... End of Pflantzgarten into the swallow tail, the fast looping right near the 16km mark (next two corners are a crestig right, and then the banked mini karussel)

I used to have a bad habit ofturning in too late and getting my back wheel in the dirt and having real exciting time trying to keep the car out of the trees.

Now I brake pretty early for it... Hmmm the corner is calling me chicken... Have to try harder next time.
 
Schwedenkreuz for me too. Either too much and spin or too little and I lose a lot of time. I have been able to nail it a few times but very rarely. Also Karrusell gets me a bit on edge if Im in a car with alot of weight in the front.
 
I agree with Superveloce, that place at the beginning called Quiddlebacher Hohe with the turn after it. If I'm not paying attention sometimes I don't slow down at all before the hill.:scared: What happens next... you probably know it. Car still partially off the ground while trying to turn at high speed. It usually catches me off guard after my 3rd lap.
 
Well that was an intelligent picture...

Turns for me are Schwedenkreuz and Klostertal.
 
Schwedenkreuz...definitely. The last two corners after the straightaway are a bit more do-able, but Schwedenkreuz is impossible for me. If I brake, I get the feeling I braked too much and feel slow troughout it. If I go flat out, I'll most likely touch the grass at 250+ Km/H which will always end in death. A middle point usually means some 230 Km/H on racing cars (With racing hard tyres), but I still feel slow.

Ohhh, and don't even ever try overtaking someone there...

There should be a huge flashing sign by the track saying that there.

Everybody seems to think either "oh look, I'm gaining fast in the slipstream, I think I'll go side-by-side" or "this fool is way too slow here, I'll just cut underneath." If it ain't a bot, don't do it.
 
Where's turns 2 and 3 (Mercedes Arena) gone from the GP circuit? Old pic perhaps - pre 2002?
 
The caroussel at 100% rain.

That's my Troll corner more or less.
 
Schwedenkreuz and Aremberg. Understeer.

I have to slow down at like 220-250 km/h all the time at Schwedenkreuz, and it's like a hit or miss :ouch: I have issues at Aremberg too but they're lesser than the former.

EDIT: I don't mind spinning off at the jump somewhere at Flugplatz, I love me some airtime. I do have some problems with Klostertal though, I managed to plow into the outside wall at full throttle, in a well-tuned 550pp R34.
 
Schwedenkreuz is pretty scary at high speeds, to me, as well as the corners after the long straight.

map-nurburgring.jpg

^Use this for reference of the corner names.

"Schwedenkreuz is pretty scary at high speeds" +1 on that! 👍 I often brake too much and even lose a position because "fear of the grass"...

And Bergwerk. I NEVER, NEVER seem to find the right speed for it... a lot of time playing on the ring, I still have to negotiate it with love and care. I try to be between 100-120kmh (I use sports tires 99% of time in my cars) but its really a b*tch to be over 105 there. :indiff::nervous:

Ah, and Mr. UnionStrike, your avatar is the most awesome I've ever seen.
 
GT5 is my Nurburgring Simulator, and PS3 is the hardware I need to run it, that being said,

Having close to 1,000 laps under my belt (approx 8 single lap runs, daily for about 2 hours), there are some corners that are still to this day, anticipatingly different every lap through:

1) That uphill right hander (Ex-Muhle) , at 8km mark, right after having crossed the second bridge. (northern most of track leading to Bergwerk)
I wish I could take it 20 km/hr faster than I do now (approx 135-140km/hr) but if I even add 2 km/hr, or change anything about it, I will lose my car to violent de-stabilization, taking out the leading pack behind me. If I had the proper momentum, I could carry more speed climbing up this hill, to shave 1s off my lap.

2) Kesselchen, How I'd love to be consistent at taking that blind left, hoping the paved strip will save my understeer somewhat, to maintain 210km/hr. As it is, I keep settling for 199km/hr, and will call it a day.

3) that left hander, leading to the 2nd mini caroussel, such an off camber tilted one, I'll gladly go through it underspeed, understeered, just to avoid the sand on the right.

4) that's about it, the rest is fairly consistent, that is, until I try it for real.

505pp laptimes, Lotus Evora, consistent at 6:55-7:00s. Best was 6:52s, I wish for 6:49s. Might need a CSL for that time.
 
Schwedenkreuz, eschblach and the Nordschleifen zufahrt (afther the long straight) is usually the turns that gets me. or at least scares me. and the zig zag turns after the nordschleifen zufahrt those chicanes after the long straight is thrilling at really high speeds. Love this track
 
Flugplatz is the corner that I feel is the hardest, trying to keep the car stable as it lands is always a challenge.
 
Schwedenkreuz is one of the trickier corners in the game. I never dare take it flat out! I still lose it there once in a while. Bergwerk messes me up. I either take it too hot which results in instant death or get scared and go too slow. And from K15 to K18 I never remember that part of the track well enough, I lose time there for sure.

I think the hardest corner in the game though is the very first corner on the Top Gear Test Track. The long high-speed over-the-hill left turn under full brakes is just ridiculous.
 
Lambob are you using racing softs on a 500pp car on the Ring? Might as well play Cruzin' USA at the mall.
 
Schwedenkreuz...

Ohhh, and don't even ever try overtaking someone there...

There should be a huge flashing sign by the track saying that there.

Everybody seems to think either "oh look, I'm gaining fast in the slipstream, I think I'll go side-by-side" or "this fool is way too slow here, I'll just cut underneath." If it ain't a bot, don't do it.

I tried it, but chickened out in the middle of the corner and the guy got away.

definitely. The last two corners after the straightaway are a bit more do-able, but Schwedenkreuz is impossible for me. If I brake, I get the feeling I braked too much and feel slow troughout it. If I go flat out, I'll most likely touch the grass at 250+ Km/H which will always end in death.
Not always. :lol:

1) That uphill right hander (Ex-Muhle) , at 8km mark, right after having crossed the second bridge. (northern most of track leading to Bergwerk)
I wish I could take it 20 km/hr faster than I do now (approx 135-140km/hr) but if I even add 2 km/hr, or change anything about it, I will lose my car to violent de-stabilization, taking out the leading pack behind me. If I had the proper momentum, I could carry more speed climbing up this hill, to shave 1s off my lap.

I had problems with this corner before but nowadays I sort of get around it without incidents. I had one car which had a really long second gear and that helped a lot with Exmühle since you could brake to second at the preceeding left hander, then keep it in second until you reach exmühle and as you were so high up the revs there wasn't much torque so it was much easier to keep the rear in check. I know it's not very good for fast laptimes to have to change gear right after the exit (especially if you use clutch) but in races it was alright.


One more I'd like to mention is the left hander near Kesselchen. My usual routine is to brake a bit, shift down to 4th, flick the car towards the corner and then gradually floor it. When I get around it with about 10 degrees of opposite lock and don't hit the grass, I always have the 'everything went better than expected' -face on. It's very easy to mess up.

Only once have I gone around it side-by-side with someone. It's scary enough even on your own.
 
Last edited:
None really scare me, but the one that annoys me the most is Bergwerk? Can never get the proper line through there. :ouch:

Bergwerk for me too - I'm always too cautios through there and then when I do attack it, I pay!
 
Every turn! When i start at the track my hands start shaking and no matter what car im driving ill spin or lose control.
 
Lambob are you using racing softs on a 500pp car on the Ring? Might as well play Cruzin' USA at the mall.

I suppose I could host rooms on Comfort Hards and no ABS , care to join me?
 
Lambob are you using racing softs on a 500pp car on the Ring? Might as well play Cruzin' USA at the mall.

Hey now, that game was actually fun for what it was. Blasting deer on the highway never felt so good!
 
Wehrseifen. I either end up taking that corner too slow with some understeer (hate taking it in 1st gear) or the car unsettles and I end up oversteering if I get careless.



The final section from Tiergarten to Schikane is also pretty intense. From the 200+ MPH I gained in the straight I always have to shift down a gear per turn. It's scary and intimidating, but once you get it right it's always extremely thrilling and rewarding. It's extremely important to get this section right, or else you will get a red time. It's so irritating to start over when you've reached the Ring's final section. I actually developed super sharp reflexes here when I hotlapped my stock Enzo :lol:
 
Last edited:
McSoap-90
Bergwerk... Every single time I drive there, this corner annoys me!

YESSSSSS I always #&$@ up there!
 
Right after the Schwedenkreuz. 'Nuff said...

I always try to take the right line when approaching the corner, but I always end up eating grass and usually ending up in such a fatal accident that screws up my lead or gap. I usually think I have made it, but at the bitter end of the corner, TIME TO EAT GRASS! :dopey:

It's scary with the Chaparral 2J, because that car is like a rocket when it plays with ramps and elevation. Just try and approach the Flugplatz at high speed and you'll see what I mean...
 
The circled part of the following map is the part of the track that absolutely scares me and makes me clench my DS3 controller in a frantic move to keep my car under control while plowing through the turn at rediculous speeds:
AyRYk.jpg

THIS. I usually do the corner well but when playing online everyone crashes my car into the grass.
 
For my it is the "Pflanzgarten II/III" section, were I all ways try to go flat out, but some cars turns light on me on the top of the small crest and I end up with a wheel or two on the grass resulting in a high speed crash, especially if I don't get the turn in just right.
 
None really scare me, but the one that annoys me the most is Bergwerk? Can never get the proper line through there. :ouch:


Some times you are sure you are going to make it but always something goes wrong (oversteer,understeer)!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Pflanzgarten II.

maximus0743
were I all ways try to go flat out, but some cars turns light on me on the top of the small crest and I end up with a wheel or two on the grass resulting in a high speed crash, especially if I don't get the turn in just right
 
For my it is the "Pflanzgarten II/III" section, were I all ways try to go flat out, but some cars turns light on me on the top of the small crest and I end up with a wheel or two on the grass resulting in a high speed crash, especially if I don't get the turn in just right.

The best thing you can do in this location, is to keep behind about 5 car lengths, and pass everyone safely, as everyone else will fly off the track here, from being too close to each other. Works for me 10/10 times, whereas if I hold my line, someone will richochet from somebody, and bump me off everytime. Better to lose 2s of situation awareness, than to lose 13s, and try to catch up again.
 
Back