The 2012 Driver transfer discussion/speculation thread

• Thread starter F1 fan
  • 1,927 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you would have thought Badoer was too old and in-experienced to come back...

Hang on, since when is 37 considered too old to come back into F1? Have you not noticed a certain Schumacher, Barrichello, De La Rosa, Karthikeyan?

Hang on, since when is 37 considered too old to come back into F1? Have you not noticed a certain Schumacher, Barrichello, De La Rosa, Karthikeyan?

It's not, but Gene has already seen what happened to Badoer. Why would he want to jump in in similar circumstances?

It's not, but Gene has already seen what happened to Badoer. Why would he want to jump in in similar circumstances?

Exactly. Gene is old AND hasn't driven open-wheel cars in ages.

Schumacher was only out for 2 or 3, and he dominated when he was still in the sport.
De La Rosa has had a steady testing job and on occasion, a Sunday drive.

Gene may have put in more racing laps over the past few years than De La Rosa, but he hasnt driven most of them in an F1 car. The Peugeot was fast... but not that fast.

Whatever happens, one thing is sure: Ferrari need to make the right choice this time. They can't afford a repeat of 2009, where they languished with the under-performing Badoer. Based on raw pace, Mercedes and Lotus look like they could threaten Ferrari's position. And that's just a best-case scenario - Williams, Toro Rosso and Force India could all conceivably pass them.

Gene has actually been racing competitively on a regular basis until recently. Badoer did nothing except test and the odd kart race since 1999. Gene isn't going to be anywhere near as rusty.

De La Rosa seems to manage jumping back in pretty well.

As was said though De La Rosa has been testing for all the time he wasn't racing, and In believe he was Pirellis test driver too.

I would love to see Fisi back in the seat but Trulli or Perez I think are most likely.

According to this Mark Webber is off to Ferrari next season to replace Felipe Massa in a one-year deal :dunce:

If that's true (though I highly doubt it) would Buemi get the second seat?

According to this Mark Webber is off to Ferrari next season to replace Felipe Massa in a one-year deal :dunce:

Seems unlikely unless Ferrari have flat out offered him a contract. Which I don't think they'd have done this early. Nor would they hire Webber as a stopgap for Perez. I don't think Webber would go for it either. He has a good chance of being retained by Red Bull too. I really doubt Red Bull have discussed anything with Mark about next year, let alone tell him they want to promote one of their drivers.

Tom

Doubtful. If they had that in mind for him, surely they wouldn't have dropped him from Toro Rosso.

This whole article reeks of attention grabbing rumour.

Doubtful. If they had that in mind for him, surely they wouldn't have dropped him from Toro Rosso.

This whole article reeks of attention grabbing rumour.

That's true, but he is the current reserve driver. I doubt it's true, but what a story it would be if it were.

Sauber announce sponsorship from Chelsea FC. It's a bit of a strange deal, but something that a lot of people picked up on quickly was the possibility that Roman Abramovich might have his eye on buying into a Formula 1 team, in which case, the Sauber-Chelsea deal would made a bit more sense than it currently does.

Tom
The only way I can see Buemi getting back into Formula 1 would be if Toro Rosso feel that either Ricciardo or Vergne is doing very well, and so fire the other driver and draft Buemi back into the team to serve as a benchmark for the surviving driver.

The other alternative is that Red Bull promotes Vergne or Ricciardo to fill Webber's seat, and Buemi takes the vacant Toro Rosso. But even then, they could simply decide to take a chance on one of their new young drivers - Sainz, Williamson or Kvyat. With both Red Bull seats filled by quality drivers, they could afford to place a less-experienced driver in the second Toro Rosso. Of course, this depends on Ricciardo or Vergne coming good; right now, Ricciardo is the better qualifier and Vergne the better racer (which means he is more likely to be promoted), but neither is good enough right now.

As it stands, Buemi isn't good enough for Red Bull. He admitted that he got distracted by the prospect of filling Webber's seat, which coincided with a slump in form. Red Bull don't need that in their drivers. So if Webber were to go and neither Toro Rosso driver had come good, I'd grab someone like Valsecchi for half a season. Or maybe even try and make a play for Perez; Perez might be a Ferrari development driver, but that doesn't give Ferrari the exclusive rights to his services. There is no way the FIA's Contract Review Board would allow it because it's anti-competitive. If an opening became available at Ferrari, Ferrari would likely have the right to make Perez the first offer. But if they choose not to make that offer to Perez, then Perez would likely become a free agent. Ferrari (or any other team with a driver development program) cannot inhibit a driver's career like that.

We already have a thread on Webber and Ferrari here and, as it's proposed for 2013, please continue discussion there.

Could we perhaps rename that as the 2013 silly season thread?

That way, when more talk of driver transfers emerges, we won't end up with individual threads for each rumour.

We already have a thread on Webber and Ferrari here and, as it's proposed for 2013, please continue discussion there.

I posted the information/rumor first... I didnt want to open one thread for a (if it turns out) a silly spannish media rumor

Could we perhaps rename that as the 2013 silly season thread?

That way, when more talk of driver transfers emerges, we won't end up with individual threads for each rumour.

Well seeing as this thread has become active again, I've given it a more appropriate name.

_G7C1611_large.jpg

Mark this day in your diary, ladies and gentlemen. January 17th, 2012: the beginning of the end of Williams.
Senna has been reported as bringing fourteen million Euros to the team. They're already getting about forty from Maldonado and PDVSA, so they don't really need the extra income. Nevertheless, they chose to take it over someone like Adrian Sutil or Jaime Alguersuari - and comapred to Senna, what they lack in sponsorship, they more than make up for in actual talent.

You were saying? :lol:

Well seeing as this thread has become active again, I've given it a more appropriate name.
No, you should just start a new one for 2012. I don't see the point of renaming this one and then having to go to post 1900 for any relevant info.

Peter.

hehehe :) I had a feeling Bruno would do good. Not because of the name, but because he spent so much time no karting, and I think that he's just now starting to reach his full potential :)

Still, let's not start a war over Bruno again.

What's your point? In four races, Senna has made four major mistakes. He was caught up in a first-lap incident in Australia, and he then tangled with Felipe Massa late in the race. He lost his front wing on the first lap in Malaysia (but got lucky when the team put him on wet-weather tyres early). And in Bahrain, he made a mistake on his final flying lap and had to settle for 14th on the grid when his pace suggested 7th was possible.

Sure, he's got 14 points after four races - but he could easily have 28 if he didn't make those mistakes. Add to that the way Williams is putting Valtteri Bottas in his car for fifteen practice sessions this year, and I'd say Senna is on a much shorter leash than any other driver in the paddock. By comparison, Maldonado's money makes his seat safe, so if Williams is going to pull the trigger and get rid of one of their drivers, it will be Bruno Senna.

Add to that the way Williams is putting Valtteri Bottas in his car for fifteen practice sessions this year, and I'd say Senna is on a much shorter leash than any other driver in the paddock. By comparison, Maldonado's money makes his seat safe, so if Williams is going to pull the trigger and get rid of one of their drivers, it will be Bruno Senna.

We all know that Bottas will be driving for Williams in 2013. I think that Williams threw Bruno a life-line in order to prove himself for a competitive seat with another team in 2013.

Tom
I think that Williams threw Bruno a life-line in order to prove himself for a competitive seat with another team in 2013.
Why would they do that? They owe him nothing. They'd be better off taking Bottas straight away.

No, Williams took Senna for the money.

Senna has pace. We've seen him in action and I'm shocked he is better than last year. Pasto is at Williams for the money - but he too has improved. If they both keep it up I see no reason why Williams would kick them

Maldonado's mistake in Australia was bigger than all of Senna's put together.
That said, he has driven well.

Williams is doing the right thing and looking to build back to a dominant team once again.
Chopping and changing drivers will not help their chances of achieving this.

zed300
Maldonado's mistake in Australia was bigger than all of Senna's put together.
That said, he has driven well.

True - but at least he's fighting hard for every position. Most drivers would be afraid to challenge a man like Alonso but he kept him on his toes

That said Pasto did also spin during the race - if he hadn't he might of been ahead of Alonso

What's your point? In four races, Senna has made four major mistakes. He was caught up in a first-lap incident in Australia, and he then tangled with Felipe Massa late in the race. He lost his front wing on the first lap in Malaysia (but got lucky when the team put him on wet-weather tyres early). And in Bahrain, he made a mistake on his final flying lap and had to settle for 14th on the grid when his pace suggested 7th was possible.

Sure, he's got 14 points after four races - but he could easily have 28 if he didn't make those mistakes. Add to that the way Williams is putting Valtteri Bottas in his car for fifteen practice sessions this year, and I'd say Senna is on a much shorter leash than any other driver in the paddock. By comparison, Maldonado's money makes his seat safe, so if Williams is going to pull the trigger and get rid of one of their drivers, it will be Bruno Senna.

Yet again you colour the Bruno Senna situation with your bias. He got crashed into by a Toro Rosso in Melbourne, and still finished the race. He finished sixth in Malaysia, and was highly praised by Martin Brundle in doing so. He followed that up with a 7th in China, again ahead of his team-mate. He currently sits higher than Kamui Kobayashi in the championship, and Kamui has the luxury of a faster car, to say nothing of Maldonado, Massa and Schumacher, among others.

Considering he has one fewer practice session per GP in giving his car to Bottas, and is still beating Maldonado convincingly, I'd say he's doing a good job at Williams.

Tom
We all know that Bottas will be driving for Williams in 2013. I think that Williams threw Bruno a life-line in order to prove himself for a competitive seat with another team in 2013.

I really struggle to understand this line of thinking given what I've mentioned above.

I'm not sure the sauber is faster. They only did well due in first 2 races but after that they're struggled to get into the top 10

But I think people don't like Senna because of his uncle and how he isnt winning in a midfield car like his uncle used too

I think bruno is a lot like button and overtime he'll keep improving with the support and praise he keeps getting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back