The 2018 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

I don't think McLaren is a team that is considering (bad/average) pay drivers... yet.

It could easily be a pure business decision, considering it's about McLaren Group shares, with their Automotive section still growing, shares will be getting more expensive, pure business.

Sure, there may, and probably will be some third/reserve/development driver deal for Latifi, because they are struggling both financially (the McLaren Racing) and on track, can't imagine them being this desperate, especially as there is no way that McGroup would use any substantial part of this share (aka not sponsorship) deal to bankroll F1 team.

In other driver news Giovanazzi put in a great run for Ferrari in Barcelona, if they finally decide to go home-grown-young-blood then he could be a contender for Kimi's seat. They won't do that, Ricciardo will take it I think... but Giovanazzi remains one to watch I think.

I'm still not entirely sure Ricciardo is the guy everyone is wanting. I know that seems to be a consensus, but I'm not sure why. He's good, but we've seen nothing great other than he's a really nice guy. People act like a Mercedes or Ferrari seat is his for the asking - why is this? Do we think he's just going to be a good teammate for someone else who has title aspirations, or do we think he's the real deal?

In other driver news Giovanazzi put in a great run for Ferrari in Barcelona, if they finally decide to go home-grown-young-blood then he could be a contender for Kimi's seat. They won't do that, Ricciardo will take it I think... but Giovanazzi remains one to watch I think.
Tbh I believe Maurizio could go for Leclerc in that 2nd Ferrari seat, I think he could get Sergio’s blessing in that regard. Then put Antonio in Alfa, give him some time to develop and put him in Ferrari when Seb goes.

Regarding Ricciardo, if he doesn’t get Ferrari/Merc from 2019 onwards he can kiss WC aspirations goodbye IMO

I'm still not entirely sure Ricciardo is the guy everyone is wanting. I know that seems to be a consensus, but I'm not sure why. He's good, but we've seen nothing great other than he's a really nice guy. People act like a Mercedes or Ferrari seat is his for the asking - why is this?

He's the calm, calculated fast guy paired with the nutter. Prost to Verstappen's Senna if you like, or Lauda to Hunt. He has Italian heritage wheech ees, ow you say, ollways weener.

Personally I think Ricciardio is a gifted overtaker and, perhaps more importantly, is very consistent. I'm not sure what you'd see in his performance that suggested he wouldn't deserve a top team seat. I'm sure that if he doesn't stay at RBR he'll be in the Ferrari seat, maybe even Mercedes if Bottas doesn't get the two-year deal he reportedly asked for.

Yeah, sadly that's the read I get from him; "the good teammate". I do think he's exhibited the talent to bring a top tier car to the winner circle/podium, but I wish he was a bit more competitive/fiery. I feel the teams look at him as a safe bet for a teammate and not necessarily a driving powerhouse/future WDC contender. I would love to be proven wrong by Ricci though - the guy seems genuinely nice.

I'm still not entirely sure Ricciardo is the guy everyone is wanting. I know that seems to be a consensus, but I'm not sure why. He's good, but we've seen nothing great other than he's a really nice guy. People act like a Mercedes or Ferrari seat is his for the asking - why is this? Do we think he's just going to be a good teammate for someone else who has title aspirations, or do we think he's the real deal?
He made four times world champion S. Vettel look distinctly second best when they were teammates?

Not sure what seasons you've been watching but he's easily a match for Max, was a match against Vettel and is arguably a match for the likes of Lewis and Alonso. He is like a Prost type driver, he doesn't need to be flashy, he's a dark horse at worst and a tactician at best. There is a reason he is far more consistent then many of the other top drivers and one of the best with car control, especially passing. Your summation seems to be nothing more than a well seasoned journeyman driver, which is more of what I see in Grosjean or even Perez than Ricciardo.

Being a nice guy and lovable to fans, doesn't undermine that obvious craft he has and potential for being a future WDC along with Verstappen. You seemingly want to see the guy that does the obvious off the wall tactics and makes it stick even though other times he may fail. That's Verstappen. I could spend all day going down the list of driver that have won WDCs and who I see Ricciardo being similar to. What you see as kindness I see as having respect with his fellow drivers, something that some lack like Max.

He’s never been in a championship winning car, so we really have no idea whether or not he has that “cut throat, go for the kill” type of attitude. I’m not denying he does, just saying that he’s never really had a reason to exhibit it thus far in his F1 career. He certainly seems to have the consistency, the level head, along with the bravery and skill to execute brilliant overtakes. In my opinion, he most definitely deserves a shot in a car capable of winning a championship to show us whether or not he has that last piece of the puzzle.

He’s never been in a championship winning car, so we really have no idea whether or not he has that “cut throat, go for the kill” type of attitude.

The same can be said for any driver who isn't called Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Räikkönen or Fernando Alonso. That's catch-22 logic.

We're talking about getting a potential seat at Mercedes-Benz or Ferrari. No driver outside those four grid slots is as consistent and quick as Daniel Ricciardo. It is a simple fact that he has been closer to the front of the grid and the top step of an F1 podium than any of the other driver in recent years; closer than Wehrlein, closer than Giovanazzi, closer than anyone.

Red Bull might come good again soon, who knows. I could quite easily see Ricciardo in any of the top three cars and he would be worthy of that seat.

And I'm not saying that Wehrlein or Giovanazzi couldn't get a top two drive, it's Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari's (and Red Bull's) prerogative to use and abuse their YD programme as they see fit, but to exclude Ricciardo from the shortlist is just not right.

I guess you guys see something I don't. Been watching every season he's been in F1 and I don't see him as "the" guy, like I do some others. I see a fast, consistent, respectful driver...but I'd like to be proven wrong.

I guess you guys see something I don't. Been watching every season he's been in F1 and I don't see him as "the" guy, like I do some others. I see a fast, consistent, respectful driver...but I'd like to be proven wrong.
How many drivers have jumped into a new team and beaten the current world champion in every measure who was driving for said team when he was world champion?

The same can be said for any driver who isn't called Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Räikkönen or Fernando Alonso. That's catch-22 logic.

We're talking about getting a potential seat at Mercedes-Benz or Ferrari. No driver outside those four grid slots is as consistent and quick as Daniel Ricciardo. It is a simple fact that he has been closer to the front of the grid and the top step of an F1 podium than any of the other driver in recent years; closer than Wehrlein, closer than Giovanazzi, closer than anyone.

Red Bull might come good again soon, who knows. I could quite easily see Ricciardo in any of the top three cars and he would be worthy of that seat.

And I'm not saying that Wehrlein or Giovanazzi couldn't get a top two drive, it's Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari's (and Red Bull's) prerogative to use and abuse their YD programme as they see fit, but to exclude Ricciardo from the shortlist is just not right.
I agree with everything you’ve said. I think maybe you misunderstood my original point. I wasn’t at all saying that he doesn’t have those elements I mentioned. I’m saying that if he does indeed have them, he hasn’t had an excuse to use them yet....not sure if I’m making sense here lol.

It wasn’t at all a slight at Ricciardo. In response to anyone who wants to say he lacks what it takes to win a championship, I’m saying, we haven’t even had a chance to see if he “lacks what it takes”.

Basically, because he’s never been in a car that is supposed to win a championship, against a teammate who is supposed to contest for a championship, his approach to that scenario is an unknown quantity. I’m not counting 2014 as a year that he or Seb was supposed to win the title.

Okay let's make it simple, when was the last time a guy came into a team, beat his more seasoned team mate or even better current WDC team mate? The last time I could think of was Lewis Hamilton when he first joined McLaren. However, I think even that isn't on the same scope, because Vettel just like Ricciardo was a junior RB driver and had been with the organization longer and well ingrained into the team. The argument could be made that he didn't do well with the switch to the new regs, but they all had to do it so not really an excuse.

Daniel was not only able to switch over and be competitive with the worst engine on the grid, but be competitive enough to beat his team mate who happened to be a current WDC after winning three before that. I can't think of anyone in the last 20 years I've watched F1 doing so on that scale. As I said Hamilton is the closest that comes to mind.

It wasn’t at all a slight at Ricciardo. In response to anyone who wants to say he lacks what it takes to win a championship, I’m saying, we haven’t even had a chance to see if he “lacks what it takes”.

Fair enough. 👍

I don't see him as the guy. I don't think the guy is a thing. But he's certainly a guy. One of the top ones.

But if you were to select a driver to get a Ferrari or Mercedes-Benz seat, who would be ahead of Ricciardo in the queue and why?

I don't see him as the guy. I don't think the guy is a thing. But he's certainly a guy. One of the top ones.

But if you were to select a driver to get a Ferrari or Mercedes-Benz seat, who would be ahead of Ricciardo in the queue and why?

I think Bottas is the answer to this question.

I think Riccy's options are actually fairly limited. I don't see a reason for Merc to bother changing their lineup. They have a nice clear number one and a number two who's been really solid and this season they have both collected good points for the team and not interfered with each others race.
Ferrari is kind of a problem. Other than Australia and Monaco they have had the best car but been unable to maximise the results. On top of that Merc have caught up.

Then you have Red Bull, one of the best cars on the grid that next year looks to be powered by Honda engines, which actually look pretty alright, especially given Toro Rosso's pace. And if Max has done anything this year, it's prove that he isn't at all ready to lead a team. Red Bull could make him an offer that, on paper is better than a Ferrari deal

Is Hartley going to last a full season at Toro Rosso? I know what happened at Monaco wasn't his fault but Gasly is just mopping the floor with him.

I think Bottas is the answer to this question.

I think Riccy's options are actually fairly limited. I don't see a reason for Merc to bother changing their lineup. They have a nice clear number one and a number two who's been really solid and this season they have both collected good points for the team and not interfered with each others race.
Ferrari is kind of a problem. Other than Australia and Monaco they have had the best car but been unable to maximise the results. On top of that Merc have caught up.

Then you have Red Bull, one of the best cars on the grid that next year looks to be powered by Honda engines, which actually look pretty alright, especially given Toro Rosso's pace. And if Max has done anything this year, it's prove that he isn't at all ready to lead a team. Red Bull could make him an offer that, on paper is better than a Ferrari deal

Pretty sure that was more a personal question posed at the guy downplaying Ricciardo, not a general question.

Is Hartley going to last a full season at Toro Rosso? I know what happened at Monaco wasn't his fault but Gasly is just mopping the floor with him.

I don't think he will. Unfortunately he hasn't been producing the results. I really like him and followed him through the last few years of his WEC career.

Been watching every season he's been in F1 and I don't see him as "the" guy, like I do some others. I see a fast, consistent, respectful driver...but I'd like to be proven wrong.

Uh-huh.

Daniel-Ricciardo.jpg

Hartley hasn't performed bad enough to be sacked just yet. He definitely should have at least 5 more races, rather than Canada as people keep saying.

As for Verstappen, Red Bull would rather replace him with Sainz than Gasly, they saw with Kvyat how promoting a driver too early was a bad move (and in the process of replacing Verstappen, would do the same thing). Sainz has proven himself enough that he is the next driver who deserves to be in the Red Bull, not Gasly. Of course, that all depends on Renault agreeing to foot the repair bill though...

Hartley hasn't performed bad enough to be sacked just yet. He definitely should have at least 5 more races, rather than Canada as people keep saying.

As for Verstappen, Red Bull would rather replace him with Sainz than Gasly, they saw with Kvyat how promoting a driver too early was a bad move (and in the process of replacing Verstappen, would do the same thing). Sainz has proven himself enough that he is the next driver who deserves to be in the Red Bull, not Gasly. Of course, that all depends on Renault agreeing to foot the repair bill though...

I'd like him to stay on... but we've all seen how ruthless Red Bull are and they have many drivers looking for F1 seats. I think any idea of Vestappen being replaced at Red Bull is fantasy though

The main thing about Hartley is, who would replace him? Red Bull and Toro Rosso would want to put a Red Bull Junior in, but there aren't any ready. Dan Ticktum is the most experienced of the lot, with a Macau GP win to his name, but he doesn't have a Superlicence yet.

Honda want a Japanese driver, but Matsu****a and Fukuzumi also don't have a superlicense, while I'm sure Toyota would just love to let Nakajima or Kobayashi join Honda. Their only option there would be Super Formula, but I doubt they'd take anyone from there.

And Wehrlein? As much as he deserves to be in F1, I doubt Mercedes would want him playing around with a Rival engine, AND a Red Bull affiliated team.

Anyone who says Sean Gelael needs their head cleaned out.

Hartley is the best Toro Rosso are going to have for a while, so they may as well work with him to make him into a class Formula 1 driver, we know how good he was in LMP1, he just needs to readjust back to Single-Seater racing.

If anyone in F1 is going to get sacked, and if it doesn’t work out that Werhlein can get the seat, then I’d like to see Felix Rosenquest have a go in an F1 car. The guy seems to be able very quickly adapt to new machinery....and he does have a Euro F3 title to his name, so that should guarantee him a spot on the grid, no? ;)

The guy seems to be able very quickly adapt to new machinery

As it seems Robert Wickens does too but doesn't he have Mercedes connections through the DTM? Plus I don't see him leaving Indy Car certainly this year and perhaps next year if finishes high up in the points this year.

Back