The 2018 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

Well apparently Toro Rosso approached Lando Norris about replacing Hartley but they were rejected.

https://racer.com/2018/06/06/toro-rosso-fails-in-bid-to-have-norris-replace-hartley/
That was probably more to do with getting Norris into the Red Bull family than replacing Hartley.

It makes you wonder though about the Red Bull Junior programme. That's now two F2 frontrunners (Markelov and Norris) that have declined a Toro Rosso seat. Maybe young drivers are starting to see Marko's succeed or leave attitude as too unfair nowadays...

That was probably more to do with getting Norris into the Red Bull family than replacing Hartley.

It makes you wonder though about the Red Bull Junior programme. That's now two F2 frontrunners (Markelov and Norris) that have declined a Toro Rosso seat. Maybe young drivers are starting to see Marko's succeed or leave attitude as too unfair nowadays...

That and I have to wonder if people also see no real prospects after RBR/STR. If you lose your seat there, you seemingly are on your own. However, other teams actually will put you in other driving tasks rather than kick you to the curb. And with McLaren expanding their portfolio, if F1 doesn't work for these drivers they have something else like Indy or GT3.

Also just read it. Interesting twist. Ricciardo the new Alonso? And then prepare for Indy and WEC/LMP1?
Daniel will clarify his already made decision soonish
Or could Mclaren be positioning themselves to be the 'new' Mercedes for the upcoming reg changes?

I find it hard to believe that they will be in this slump forever and Riccy could do a Hamilton, switch from a seemingly top team to a mid tier team and come away with more than one title. I think it's fair to assume he wont get a seat at Mercedes and Ferrari has kinda invested a lot into Vettel, making a title challenge there difficult... other than Red Bull, Mclaren (for the new regs) could be a good bet, assuming he has a long term contract with them...

Or could Mclaren be positioning themselves to be the 'new' Mercedes for the upcoming reg changes?

I find it hard to believe that they will be in this slump forever and Riccy could do a Hamilton, switch from a seemingly top team to a mid tier team and come away with more than one title. I think it's fair to assume he wont get a seat at Mercedes and Ferrari has kinda invested a lot into Vettel, making a title challenge there difficult... other than Red Bull, Mclaren (for the new regs) could be a good bet, assuming he has a long term contract with them...
$20M is tempting. (if it's true)

$20M is tempting. (if it's true)

Indeed, here is 20m for you to build up the team around you etc ready for when we have the car in a year or two... and if it doesn't work out, oh well, Ferrari and Mercedes are probably going to be looking for new drivers around that time again anyway

Indeed, here is 20m for you to build up the team around you etc ready for when we have the car in a year or two... and if it doesn't work out, oh well, Ferrari and Mercedes are probably going to be looking for new drivers around that time again anyway

In the case of Ferrari though, only if Vettel moves on. I seriously think Leclerc will be in the other seat by then and established as a talent. Mercedes may well have also found themselves a long term second driver alongside Hamilton. As much as I'd like to see Ricciardo at McLaren, I just don't see it being to Danny's benefit. Both Ferrari and Mercedes are at a place where Ricciardo has a chance of taking a spot and I think he is to ever be a World Champion. I even believe that he will achieve that, whichever of those 2 he went to...

In the case of Ferrari though, only if Vettel moves on. I seriously think Leclerc will be in the other seat by then and established as a talent. Mercedes may well have also found themselves a long term second driver alongside Hamilton. As much as I'd like to see Ricciardo at McLaren, I just don't see it being to Danny's benefit. Both Ferrari and Mercedes are at a place where Ricciardo has a chance of taking a spot and I think he is to ever be a World Champion. I even believe that he will achieve that, whichever of those 2 he went to...

I don't think there is good replacement for Lewis at Mercedes. Vettel for Leclerc is fair. But who's to say by then they'll still be a one car team?

Replacement for Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes? Only place he would go himself is Ferrari, and if he did that then Vettel himself is the most likely to go the other way.

But the likely scenario faced by Ricciardo in a season or 2 is that both Mercedes and Ferrari have an established driver pairing, with Hamilton and Vettel the lead driver of those teams. Ricciardo's best chance for himself would be to take Raikkonen's seat before Leclerc is established for the long term, or before Mercedes retain Bottas / someone else long term. Bottas has always felt like a hurried signing after Rosberg's shock exit, but a good run could see Toto give him a bit more faith than that.

Replacement for Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes? Only place he would go himself is Ferrari, and if he did that then Vettel himself is the most likely to go the other way.

But the likely scenario faced by Ricciardo in a season or 2 is that both Mercedes and Ferrari have an established driver pairing, with Hamilton and Vettel the lead driver of those teams. Ricciardo's best chance for himself would be to take Raikkonen's seat before Leclerc is established for the long term, or before Mercedes retain Bottas / someone else long term. Bottas has always felt like a hurried signing after Rosberg's shock exit, but a good run could see Toto give him a bit more faith than that.
I meant when he’s done with the sport, which I can see being the case in a few years. I imagine Riccy is gona be about after Lewis has retired.

Ricciardo would replace Bottas mate.
Why?
Bottas is doing a good job at Merc, is settled, get on well with the team and Lewis... why would they upset that when Bottas is (this season so far) just as fast as Lewis in qualifying and good enough in the races?

I meant when he’s done with the sport, which I can see being the case in a few years. I imagine Riccy is gona be about after Lewis has retired.

Why?
Bottas is doing a good job at Merc, is settled, get on well with the team and Lewis... why would they upset that when Bottas is (this season so far) just as fast as Lewis in qualifying and good enough in the races?
Because good enough isn't good enough and never has been. Hamilton likes him because he doesn't see him as a threat. Mercedes like him because of where that puts Hamilton's head space, but he doesn't take points away from Vettel by beating him.

Because good enough isn't good enough and never has been. Hamilton likes him because he doesn't see him as a threat. Mercedes like him because of where that puts Hamilton's head space, but he doesn't take points away from Vettel by beating him.

He’s good enough and would have had a couple of race wins if it wasn’t for the ‘mad’ factor at the start of the season.

Honestly, I see Mclaren becoming the new Williams. I was expecting Mclaren to make progress this season, but they're falling further behind. I'm not expecting them to return to the front anytime soon.

Honestly, I see Mclaren becoming the new Williams. I was expecting Mclaren to make progress this season, but they're falling further behind. I'm not expecting them to return to the front anytime soon.
I don’t know about that, but it’s not good at the moment.

I can’t see them being this bad forever though

I don’t know about that, but it’s not good at the moment.

I can’t see them being this bad forever though
Remember how dominant Williams used to be? McLaren have gone seriously downhill since 2011.

They become the new Williams when they hire a pay driver.

Which, if they have Riccy and Vandoorn with Lando waiting in the wings, dosnt seem all that likely

Ricciardo wants to become a world champion. McLaren is nowhere near becoming a World Champion. Renault, Haas, and even Sauber are more likely to produce a race winning car. I doubt they can lure him with money, as he seems to be the type of guy who races for the sport, and not the money.

Hell, even Toro Rosso has a better car. Once Alonso leaves, and he isn't replaced by someone of his caliber, it's downhill without brakes for Mclaren. All they did was blame Honda for their poor performance, never realising that their own chassis was just as ****** as the engine it was paired to.

Last edited:
Agreed, but as I said, I don't see Ricciardo as someone who goes for the money, and he probably already is a multi-miljonair by now.

I also agree with that. I've said elsewhere on the board that he's the best driver outside Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz and I'd like to think that he could and would go on to greater things with one of those teams. Sadly it doesn't look like there's the right spot available though.

There is still every chance Red Bull can produce a title-challenging car again. They're not at Williams or McLaren level yet by any stretch of the imagination.

Ricciardo wants to become a world champion. McLaren is nowhere near becoming a World Champion. Renault, Haas, and even Sauber are more likely to produce a race winning car. I doubt they can lure him with money, as he seems to be the type of guy who races for the sport, and not the money.

Hell, even Toro Rosso has a better car. Once Alonso leaves, and he isn't replaced by someone of his caliber, it's downhill without brakes for Mclaren. All they did was blame Honda for their poor performance, never realising that their own chassis was just as ****** as the engine it was pared to.
McLaren at the moment can’t give anyone a title. But neither can Renault , Haas or Sauber. Red Bull can’t either and if and when they can will probably be gunning for Max.

Imo if Riccy wants a title his best option is McLaren. They can and probably will eventually be in the title hunt and he can be in pole position for a number 1 driver status. Something he won’t get at Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull

McLaren at the moment can’t give anyone a title. But neither can Renault , Haas or Sauber. Red Bull can’t either and if and when they can will probably be gunning for Max.

Imo if Riccy wants a title his best option is McLaren. They can and probably will eventually be in the title hunt and he can be in pole position for a number 1 driver status. Something he won’t get at Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull
That sounds like a carbon copy of why Alonso went to McLaren....didn’t exactly work out.

From what I hear, McLaren is the last place in the F1 paddock I’d want to be if winning titles was my priority. I really like what Zak is trying to do in terms of branching out, but at the same time, when you hear rumours that McLaren Employees are staging a revolt (apparently many are not too keen on “branching out”), it raises red flags.

I saw a video the other day, with some British talking head who made some interesting points. Basically he was saying McLaren have too many cooks in the kitchen, and no master chef to make a final call on the balance of ingredients. They have all these department heads who are unwilling to compromise with the other department heads, and then internal politics kicks in and nothing gets accomplished.

I still don’t believe any customer team will win a title under the current rules, so to me, now that McLaren have dumped Honda, McLaren is a waste of time.

If Ferrari and Merc want to play it safe with their secure #1 / #2 driver arrangement (chickens!), then I think Dan’s best shot at a title is to stay with Redbull, or go to Renault.

Speaking of Renault, is there anything to the rumours that they have been seriously tempting Newey away from Redbull? At first I couldn’t see why Newey would leave...but then I saw it pointed out it would be his first go at designing a car where engine and chassis are produced by the same team, giving him control he’s never had before. If this is true, and I was Dan, I’d follow Newey to Renault.

If he stays at Redbull, his two worries are the Honda engine, and Max. At this point, I see more promise in the Honda engine than the McLaren team....Illmore has been working with Honda, apparently their new facilities are up to snuff...I see potential. As for Max....I don’t think Max is a worry for Dan. Ya, the team might want max to win, but they can only bet on a losing horse so many times. How much longer until he “figures it out”. Just like if Dan went to Ferrari, I don’t think he’s got anything to worry about in terms of who is in the other seat - he’ll work them either way - his only concern would be internal politics.

I just looked up Max’s wiki.....I didnt realize he’s never won any major championships outside of karting. He’s fast, but I don’t know if he has the full package to be able to win a championship in big boy cars.

That sounds like a carbon copy of why Alonso went to McLaren....didn’t exactly work out.

From what I hear, McLaren is the last place in the F1 paddock I’d want to be if winning titles was my priority. I really like what Zak is trying to do in terms of branching out, but at the same time, when you hear rumours that McLaren Employees are staging a revolt (apparently many are not too keen on “branching out”), it raises red flags.

I saw a video the other day, with some British talking head who made some interesting points. Basically he was saying McLaren have too many cooks in the kitchen, and no master chef to make a final call on the balance of ingredients. They have all these department heads who are unwilling to compromise with the other department heads, and then internal politics kicks in and nothing gets accomplished.

I still don’t believe any customer team will win a title under the current rules, so to me, now that McLaren have dumped Honda, McLaren is a waste of time.

If Ferrari and Merc want to play it safe with their secure #1 / #2 driver arrangement (chickens!), then I think Dan’s best shot at a title is to stay with Redbull, or go to Renault.

Speaking of Renault, is there anything to the rumours that they have been seriously tempting Newey away from Redbull? At first I couldn’t see why Newey would leave...but then I saw it pointed out it would be his first go at designing a car where engine and chassis are produced by the same team, giving him control he’s never had before. If this is true, and I was Dan, I’d follow Newey to Renault.

If he stays at Redbull, his two worries are the Honda engine, and Max. At this point, I see more promise in the Honda engine than the McLaren team....Illmore has been working with Honda, apparently their new facilities are up to snuff...I see potential. As for Max....I don’t think Max is a worry for Dan. Ya, the team might want max to win, but they can only bet on a losing horse so many times. How much longer until he “figures it out”. Just like if Dan went to Ferrari, I don’t think he’s got anything to worry about in terms of who is in the other seat - he’ll work them either way - his only concern would be internal politics.

I just looked up Max’s wiki.....I didnt realize he’s never won any major championships outside of karting. He’s fast, but I don’t know if he has the full package to be able to win a championship in big boy cars.
I don’t disagree with you, but with the rule changes there isn’t a reason in theory that McLaren couldn’t be a contender. The 2014 car was decent at least.

Personally I don’t see Riccy ever being given a fair shot at beating Max for a title at Red Bull. And when it does come I’d imagine Max would have gotten his **** together

I was under the impression that Newey was now semi-retired from F1 design anyway. Didn't he want to pursue other vehicle design avenues like Americas Cup yachts etc, and now only really overlooks the design dept.

Back