The 2020 George Floyd/BLM/Police Brutality Protests Discussion Thread

05-daily-gifdump-86.gif

Any livestreams available?
Of the press conference? Or the protests? I haven't heard anything about protests yet over there.

The one fired officer, a Brett Hankison, is indicted on three counts of wanton endangerment for firing into a neighboring apartment and nearly striking Cody Etherton in the head.

A Louisville police sergeant said Tuesday he and other officers "did the legal, moral and ethical thing that night" when they fired their weapons while trying to search Breonna Taylor's apartment and killed her.

In a six-paragraph email he sent at 2:09 a.m. to more than 1,000 of his colleagues, Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly also apologized to his fellow officers and their families and blamed Mayor Greg Fischer, Public Safety Chief Amy Hess and former Louisville Metro Police Chief Steve Conrad for failing “all of us in epic proportions for their own gain and to cover their asses.”

The email was first reported on Twitter by Vice News correspondent Roberto Aram Ferdman. Kent Wicker, an attorney for Mattingly, confirmed to The Courier Journal that his client sent the email.

“Sgt. Mattingly sent an email to his colleagues last evening expressing his support for them and their work in these difficult times,” Wicker said. “As you know, he was shot and severely wounded during the serving of this search warrant. Like our entire community, he is hopeful this process moves forward quickly and that his fellow officers and the people of Louisville remain safe.”

Mattingly is one of three officers, along with detectives Myles Cosgrove and Brett Hankison, who fired their weapons while trying to serve a search warrant on Taylor’s apartment in the early hours of March 13.

Taylor was killed by police during the raid that went awry, while Mattingly, a 20-year veteran of the force, was shot in the thigh and required surgery.

Taylor’s death has sparked widespread outrage and daily protests calling for racial justice and for the officers involved in her killing to face criminal charges.

While Mattingly and Cosgrove remain on administrative leave, Hankison was fired in June. He is contesting the decision.

The case, meanwhile, is the subject of a criminal investigation by Attorney General Daniel Cameron’s office, a civil rights investigation by the FBI and an internal LMPD investigation.

The attorney general’s decision could come any time, and Fischer has declared a state of emergency to prepare for a possibly violent reaction.

“Regardless of the outcome today or Wednesday, I know we did the legal, moral and ethical thing that night,” Mattingly wrote to his colleagues. “It’s sad how the good guys are demonized, and the criminals are canonized.”

“I wish I were there with you leading the charge,” he said in closing. “I’ll be praying for your safety. Remember you are just a pawn in the Mayors political game. I’m proof they do not care about you or your family, and you are replaceable. Stay safe and do the right thing. YOU ARE LOVED AND SUPPORTED by most of the community. Now go be the Warriors you are, but please be safe! None of these 'peaceful' protesters are worth your career or freedom. God speed boys and girls.”

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ers-about-breonna-taylor-shooting/5865327002/
"Regardless of the outcome today or Wednesday, I know we did the legal, moral and ethical thing that night. It’s sad how the good guys are demonized, and criminals are canonized."

Dude, you broke into the residence of two law abiding citizens. You didn't announce yourselves. You were there to serve a warrant that granted you the privilege to break into the residence and not announce yourselves. The subject of the warrant was not present in the residence. One of the two law abiding citizens was in legal possession of a registered firearm. Fearing for his life, he shot you in the leg. Your fellow "warriors" returned fire, striking both law abiding citizens and killing one of them, the unarmed Breonna Taylor. Your department then attempted to cover your ass, the ass of others involved and its own ass by withholding and falsifying details of the incident.

You are not the good guys.

Account amended to reflect Walker having not been shot during the incident.

Last edited:
wanton endangerment

I had to do a bit of Googling to figure out exactly what this was because on the surface it sounds like you're putting Chinese food in danger.

If anyone is curious like I was, this is what it means per the State of Kentucky:
508.060 Wanton endangerment in the first degree.
(1) A person is guilty of wanton endangerment in the first degree when, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he wantonly engages in conduct which creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person.
(2) Wanton endangerment in the first degree is a Class D felony.

I had to do a bit of Googling to figure out exactly what this was because on the surface it sounds like you're putting Chinese food in danger.
That'd be wonton endangerment, which isn't to be confused with bonbon endangerment or tauntaun endangerment.

To my understanding, 2 of the officers are not being charged, & only 1 has so far. According to USA Today, 6 officers including the 3 who fired into the apartment, are still under investigation.

I also wonder if charges will be brought back against Kenneth Walker; his legal team's argument has been that he acted in self-defense (b/c of no announcement from police) & so far, I believe he's been free.

They actually did. I'm listening to the AG press conference right now.
The AG wasn't there.

The officers who unloaded at Kenneth Walker and into Breonna Taylor say they announced themselves. A single witness supports this, though the witness account differs from those of the officers.

Kenneth Walker and eleven other witnesses say no announcement was made.

Amid discussion over no-knock warrants, a very fine point has been made that these warrants serve a purpose in aiding to prevent destruction of material evidence that may occur in early moments of such a warrant execution. Why then, if you've secured a warrant that grants you the privilege to execute without announcement so as to prevent destruction of material evidence that may occur in early moments of warrant execution, would you announce yourselves and risk destruction of material evidence in early moments of warrant execution?

Moreover, do the events after the incident not cast doubt on claims of what occurred during and immediately prior to the incident?

Account amended to reflect Walker having not been shot during the incident.

Last edited:
Amid discussion over no-knock warrants, a very fine point has been made that these warrants serve a purpose in aiding to prevent destruction of material evidence that may occur in early moments of such a warrant execution. Why then, if you've secured a warrant that grants you the privilege to execute without announcement so as to prevent destruction of material evidence that may occur in early moments of warrant execution, would you announce yourselves and risk destruction of material evidence in early moments of warrant execution?
This was a big take-away I had as well. However, this was something I noticed added to the Wiki entry on the case & that the warrant was changed at some point.
The New York Times later reported that before the raid the order had been changed to a "knock and announce" warrant, meaning that the police were required to identify themselves.

This was a big take-away I had as well. However, this was something I noticed added to the Wiki entry on the case & that the warrant was changed at some point.
That bumps for me. Walker managed to call 9-1-1 after Taylor was shot and made no mention of police involvement. He acknowledged after the fact that it wasn't until after the 9-1-1 call, and indeed a call to Breonna's mother, that he was made aware it was police.

9-1-1 dispatch received calls from neighbors during the incident and none, to my knowledge, say anything explicitly about it being the police, though one says something about her apartment being "confused" with another--she seemed to have actually thought her own apartment was subject to the gunfire, rather than a neighbor's, and that [the police] had the wrong residence. I wonder if that may have actually been Chelsey Napper, into whose apartment Hankison fired.

Edit: The change to the order doesn't bump for me so much as that the order was actually acknowledged by the executing officers.

Edit: By "executing officers," I mean those executing the warrant, not those who killed Taylor. But, the shoe. ... It fits.

Last edited:
In reading up again on the incident, I've found I was mistaken and that Kenneth Walker was not shot during the incident as I previously believed. I've amended the account in my two most recent postings to reflect that fact. Apologies for any confusion that may have caused. I probably won't amend any other posts as I don't feel like poring over my activity to find additional instances of this error, if I've actually made it elsewhere, so apologies in advance if it causes any confusion.

Of course this doesn't improve my view of the officers involved. They managed to unload and strike the unarmed Breonna Taylor multiple times during the volley intended for the legitimately armed Walker, who they missed.

Why should he remain anonymous? If the positions were reversed and someone shot a cop they'd release his name as soon as he was arrested, not wait until aftter the trial.

Lock him up if he is guilty, no need to know his name. If cops release names of suspects without a reason (valid reason could be when they need a help from the public) it's also wrong (in my opinion).

Last edited:
Lock him up if he is guilty, no need to know his name. If cops release names of suspects without a reason (valid reason could be when they need a help from the public) it's also wrong (in my opinion).
Should details of trials be kept from the public?

Should details of trials be kept from the public?

It depends if the trial is public or not, most are public I guess, so names and details will be known eventually. But the cop who shot the kid (or any suspect for that matter) have to be charged with a crime first to have a trial.

Unless they hired a minor as a police officer for some reason, he has no right to privacy if he's going to be tried for criminal charge. If they don't bother to indict him for any charges and they won't even release the name of him, then it's just a cover up.

Plus anonymous coppers are much easier to release back into the wild to potentially shoot up more autistic kids should a similar situation reoccur.

Last edited:
I guess this is the right thread for this.

The FBI will be investigating the police shooting of a 17 year old with ADHD in 2018.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54290575

Seems like excessive force, but also that the police are not well trained in dealing with situations like this.
As someone with ADHD I don't see how pointing that out makes a difference.
-----
Anywho, Shame Sir!
https://www.foxnews.com/us/atlanta-...tter-donations-on-house-personal-expenses-fbi

It's relevant because the police were aware of this fact before they attended (iirc). The results of their attendance seemed somewhat less than sympathetic to the situation.

The police were there to perform a welfare check. Friends of Albers contacted police because of Albers' strange behavior on social media and there were concerns he may have been suicidal.

As with any malady that is believed to be the result of a chemical imbalance, ADHD manifests differently in individuals, with some instances including mood swings and depression.

I have some experience with ADHD, as my daughter was diagnosed when she was nine. It presented mildly enough that we were keen to not simply get her on drugs in an attempt to correct it, rather we got her into individual and group counseling so that she could learn to manage the symptoms and live with it. She learned to recognize when her symptoms were manifesting and what measures could be taken to correct them, including deliberately taking a break from what she's doing, which may seem counterintuitive when the problem most often associated with ADHD is loss of focus. We also got her playing soccer, which she ended up playing for years, and even made dietary changes to exclude certain things like preservatives and added sugars. Everything combined may well have resulted in the massive behavioral and performance improvements she's undergone, and not once has she been prescribed medication. Her mom and I have also noticed improvements since the diet modification in which we participated, and we're not going back despite her having been out of the house for a couple years now.

Because ADHD manifests differently, my daughter's experience isn't particularly relevant to yours or Albers', just as yours isn't particularly relevant to Albers' or hers, but when ADHD can have such an impact on an individual's behavior and police are called to respond to an individual's behavior, it absolutely is relevant.

Since you completely skipped over it in favor of questioning the relevance of the victim having ADHD (of course he was a victim of excessive force by law enforcement, not a victim of ADHD), I'd be interested to know what you think of the officer who killed Albers not only previously not being the subject to investigation but also receiving $70,000 in exchange for his resignation from the force.

Indeed. It's a shame bad actors (referring specifically to this individual perpetrating bad acts and not to his having previously impersonated law enforcement) take advantage of things about which people feel passionately enough to contribute financially--indeed take advantage of those who feel passionately enough to contribute financially--in order to benefit personally. It's also a shame that those opposed to the positive change that people who feel passionately are trying to affect conflate those individuals with the individuals who perpetrate bad acts in an effort to muddy the message.

It's crazy that those genuinely impacted by events such as the 9/11 terrorist attacks and natural disasters aren't conflated with those who use such events to defraud the government and its response, relief groups and even individuals wishing to contribute to relief efforts. Wait, no, it's not crazy at all. It's completely rational.

Last edited:
So, full disclosure...I was pretty giddy when I learned that former Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale was arrested in Florida. When I learned of allegations that he was physically abusive to his wife, I was doubly pleased. Then I watched the video of the arrest.

Fort Lauderdale police were able to talk Parscale, who his wife said may be suicidal, out of the house unarmed. Parscale approached peacefully, set a beer can down on the bed of his truck, began talking with officers, and then in the span of about four seconds from the first easily misheard order to get down on the ground, following a few repeated orders, was hit hard and taken down. It's not even a "he should have followed orders" moment because of how quickly it all transpired.

giphy.gif

Given the information that has been provided, I absolutely think he should have been arrested. Had he resisted arrest, I absolutely think police had the right to employ more aggressive measures. I'm not super thrilled with the way police handled the situation, and I really don't want this ****-heel, who has since been hospitalized, to get a payday.

If you seek out the full released bodycam footage, know that there is quite a bit of profanity.

Since you completely skipped over it in favor of questioning the relevance of the victim having ADHD (of course he was a victim of excessive force by law enforcement, not a victim of ADHD), I'd be interested to know what you think of the officer who killed Albers not only previously not being the subject to investigation but also receiving $70,000 in exchange for his resignation from the force.
I don't like how police get PTO or severance pay after incidents, especially before an investigation or trial should charges be filed.
I really don't want this ****-heel, who has since been hospitalized, to get a payday.
What would he get a payday for? That fall considering his size is far from deadly. I've fallen harder than that at work and hopped right back up and continued on.
If the officer does get fired our Atlanta Failcons need some help on our D-Line. Grady Jarrett would be proud of that tackle.

What would he get a payday for? That fall considering his size is far from deadly. I've fallen harder than that at work and hopped right back up and continued on.
Injuries that fall short of fatal can still have a lasting impact on one's life. Even in the event that there is no lasting impact, it's my position that the response exceeded that which was necessary in that situation, particularly when the individual who was tackled wasn't being unruly and wasn't given reasonable opportunity to comply with the order to get on the ground. If I feel that's the case, I don't think it's so unheard of that a judge could be convinced and rule in the individual's favor in the event that civil action is taken against the police department.

Also, I too have had hard falls that I both popped up from and was feeling for days after. Neither my experiences nor yours are relevant to those of others', just as is the case with ADHD.

An article from NY Mag claims Kentucky AG Daniel Cameron has lied multiple times about his explanation concerning why the grand jury decided to not charge any of the officers involved in Breonna's death. Furthermore, a juror is claiming there was no option to indict officers Mattingly & Cosgrove.
On Monday, one of the jurors took the extraordinary step of filing a court motion to make transcripts of the grand jury deliberations public and allow its members to speak publicly about how they unfolded, according to the New York Times. Grand jury deliberations are subject to strict secrecy, and the evidence they consider usually only becomes public in court if there’s prosecution. The unnamed juror claimed that Cameron had misrepresented the jury’s case to the public, and that the jurors were never given the option to indict officers Mattingly and Cosgrove. If true, this would appear to undermine Cameron’s claim that the jury was unanimous that Taylor’s death was legally justified.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...nd-jury-louisville-police-breonna-taylor.html

Back