The Amazon Prime Not Topgear Show That From Now On Will Be Called "The Grand Tour"TV 

• Thread starter fortbo
  • 1,091 comments
A fairly decent episode that just failed at the end. The Maserati film was going pretty well, the old cars meant things were going wrong unnaturally, then they spoiled it with the last five minutes falling back into the scripted nonsense, expecting us to believe all of sudden they were driving highly illegally around a port on public roads and James would jump his car into a boat, the least James thing in the world. When obviously in fact the port was closed, the driving was all planned and the James thing was a pointless stunt wasting $.

@Samus why are you still watching it, you seem to moan all the time..Just dont watch it..

I think they are brilliant.

As for still watching it, yes, it's because some episodes have had good, entertaining parts, the next one could be good, it could be bad. I can't know what it's going to be like beforehand, and I don't see the point of reading a review to spoil it. But once I have watched it, I come here, it is a discussion forum after all.

Like I said, it was a fairly decent episode let down by the last five minutes.

Very average episode, isn't next weeks episode the last of this series/season??

What's the music on the last part of the Maserati Challenge? For reference, the song is also on IGN Review for Forza 6.

Watched the NSX hot lap this morning. "The American" said something about electric being for lights and chairs. I was thinking some sort of powered recliner or something. I was driving down the road just now and realized that was a capital punishment joke and started giggling.

Agreed with Samus. The Maserati piece started off just like old TG, then it fell apart towards the end. Why can't we have proper challenges with proper drag races and timed laps, instead of making everything a joke? If the reason is because BBC copyrighted the format, then I'd rather they don't bother making the show because it's just a hollow shell. The Fiat review was good but still too short. Also I was expecting Nessie to surface and eat Chris Hoy instead of a random explosion :P

I enjoyed this one, except for the last ~5 minutes that were a bit over the top. I don't remember if May ever played the stupid part on Top Gear, but it seems like Mr. Wilman sometimes switches the scripts for Hammond and May. Was that also copyrighted?

...To be honest, I was not into this week's episode. I thought it was rather a low-key, low-energy affair compared to previous shows. And, in one of the DVD box sets of old new Top Gear that I own, JC in no uncertain terms informs the viewers that he hates Maserati Biturbo with all his being - he even dropped... uh, ton of junk on top of it - yet, now he's in so much love he wishes to keep it?! Hmm.

And May in James Bond/Fast & Furious-lite stunt? I get that he's on too much meds thus not thinking straight, but still....

Well I thought this week episode was quite bad actually. I liked the spider part, was decent enough and well filmed again, the talk in studio was cool and funny I like it.

As for the 3 reasonably price car part, it was awful. Too many look I can oversteer in a bad car shot, nothing really interesting (not even the 0-100m) no real alchemy between the 3 and the worst part is that it used to be my favorite part of TG but this was just too horrible. Jeremy blocking people on the highway, turning in truck where he loose the car (I've seen that scene somewhere else with Hammond) and the final piece, James May doing something stupid when he's supposed to be the sensible one in the show.

I was also expecting Nessie. Kind of a letdown too.

I expected May to actually have a proper plan for winning the race, and not just some silly stunt.

It seems like they are losing the "ambitious but rubbish" trademark. For it to be ambitious they need to appear like they actually like the ideas that they come up with, now it seems like they show up with solutions that they have picked just because they won't work and that kind of ruins the comedy.

Maybe the script deadline is too tight time around?

Anyone got an ID for the red car in the intro for the latest episode? I think it's an AC ME, but pics are scarce. I know the other cars are a Hillman Avenger/Tiger/Thing and some other UK car I should know, but don't offhand.

It was a squirrel I think I wouldn't read anything in to it.

If you are sad enough (like me) to know what Weasels look like, it realy does look like one, and very contrived in how it was placed. Squirrels aren't reddish-brown and white, though perhaps I need to check the video again =)

Couldn't help but cringe as to how they were treating cars like utter 🤬 for a couple of cheap laughs. Clarkson treated his scooter in the Vietnam Special with more respect...

Last edited:
I thought this episode was really good. Probably the best in the whole series. The scripted bits weren't too obvious and out of character (i.e. may trying to do a stupid stunt). Unlike all the other episodes, they didn't go to overboard with anything. Although I do wish they went to the Nurburgring rather than Nuremberg. The launch control bit was hilarious. Also how difficult is it to find a sunny day to test cars?? Is it that difficult in England?

Good episode, found the jokes about the place names funny but then they wore thin, it was basically a test of the Range Rover vs its 'competitors', Bentley's exterior is horrible but its interior is wow!

...I'm honestly surprised by the level of naughty words the trio is getting away with. There are a fair few four letter S words thrown about before, and with this episode, F words, too. Hmm.

And all that animals exploding? I'm sure PETA or some such might take issues with that....

As for the three SUVs on test, I walked away with a feeling that, if someone could build a car that looked like the Jag, had an interior as posh as that Bentley, and possessed the capability of the R-R it would be pretty much THE PERFECT SUV ever made....

...I'm honestly surprised by the level of naughty words the trio is getting away with. There are a fair few four letter S words thrown about before, and with this episode, F words, too. Hmm.
It was written on screen numerous times but was never spoken. As my kids were sitting next to me while I was watching, but we're otherwise occupied with iPad and such, they never really saw it. Conversely my wife is googling ****ing, Austria, exclaiming "it IS real!" :lol:
And all that animals exploding? I'm sure PETA or some such might take issues with that....
This isn't The Walking Dead. You can't kill what's already dead. ;)

Pretty funny episode and even my wife enjoyed it which was a bit of surprise since she typically just tolerates watching it with me.

I hadn't really seen much of the F Pace prior to the episode and it really is a good looking SUV, the Bentley on the other hand is one of the most awkward looking vehicles I've ever seen. I'd still have the Range Rover though.

Thought this was the last episode, how many are left?

Decent episode though, really enjoyed Hammond and May's laps and never really realized how gorgeous the 911 GT3 looks, looked stunning in the launch control segment.

Solid episode, much better when you cut out the scripted nonsense.

Thought this was the last episode, how many are left?

Decent episode though, really enjoyed Hammond and May's laps and never really realized how gorgeous the 911 GT3 looks, looked stunning in the launch control segment.

The big finale episode is in Dubai.

Finally they got one right! Best episode so far, and that's saying a lot because I hate SUVs. No over the top stunts, no obvious scripting. Just an honest, simple road trip with a (proper) drag race and timed lap at the end (even though Jeremy cheated :lol:).

I think I finally worked out why the car reviews feel so dull in GT. The track is too narrow and doesn't give them enough space to mess around compared to the old Dunsfold aerodrome. The only shots of drifting is around YourNameHere which gets repetitive quick and you can't really do any drag races and fun stunts because the straights are not long enough. TGTT works as a test track, shooting track and stunt track. Eboladrome only works as a test track. I think they should do the car reviews in whatever circuit is in the country they are pitching the tent in. Maybe even combine track + road test, because you know, it's Gran + Tour ;)

Next episode should be interesting. I looked at the montage from Ep 1 and couldn't find anything new that hasn't already been shown in trailers etc. So we should be in for a good surprise (hopefully).

Now that was a good episode. I've backpedaled a little bit since the Christmas special so I haven't watched since then, but this episode was really nice. Just a perfectly decent road trip, and actually decent discussion happening.

Yeah Eboladrome is weird, because it's so small and cheap looking, which is the opposite of everything else they're doing on the show. You'd think they would've just hired a real track, even Fifth Gear could afford that. With Eboladrome everything is so open with no barriers between the car and a nasty accident in so many places that they probably can't even push cars that hard. You're not going to get something like a Koenigsegg running full pelt there, I don't think.

Back